Solo trip -where did you stay and why

rmom

Mouseketeer
I am starting to plan a solo trip :cheer2: for two years out and am not sure where to stay. I have stayed at POR, AKL, WL and FT cabins. I LOVE the cabins but am not going to stay there by myself, too much room for just me. I don't know if there are too many kids running around for the value resorts to be an option. I have spend the last years taking care of my mother, 2 special needs daughters and have a daughter (came home at 14 1/2 yrs old) who will be going off/in to college. I really don't feel like dealing with someone elses wild kids - I am not saying that they are all wild and I love kids but I love the kids' who's parents actually care how there kids behave. I am leaning towards staying at the POFQ for a few days just because I have never been. Our first trip was in Nov 2001, and since no one was traveling, they closed this resort and put us at the Riverside. I have really been looking forward to the FQ but the Riverside was nice. I want to get up when I want, get going when I want, eat when & where I want, etc.

Excluding the price, where do you like to stay on your solo trip and why? Oh, concierge is out as I don't think it would be worth it for just me.

Thanks for your help!

I've stayed solo at All Stars Music (1 night before moving over to...) PORS, POFQ. For me it's a financial decision. My next solo trip (March 4-8) I'll be staying at POP but if one of those last minute vacation point rental thingys pop up, I'll switch if it's a good deal since a DVC resort would be an upgrade. As I said, for me it's financial although I must say that I avoid the All Stars as a general rule (solo or not). Have fun on your solo trip!

As you can see in my signature list I have spent most of my stays at Pop Century. I can not recall any trouble with out of control kids. I of course did not spend to much time hanging around the Resort. I see more kids acting out in the Parks. The one time I was at BoardWalk Villas on Rented points I was staying there for the easy access to DHS for Star Wars Weekends.

I enjoy staying at CSR for solo trips.... there are usually other adults there for conventions and you can always find someone to strike a conversation up with. I also never really feel awkward there as there are many solos there. I prefer not to stay at the values as I am no longer park commando and enjoy finding a quiet spot to read or lounging by the pool and the chaos of the values just does not appeal to me any longer.
Good Luck!!!:goodvibes

all over - timeshares so generally at least a 1-bedroom
offsite

Grand Beach
Bryan's Spanish Cove
Vacation Villas at Parkway
CWR - now called Festiva Orlando
Marriott Cypress Harbour
Marriott Grande Vista
Westgate Vacation Villa
Westgate Town Center
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort
Calypso Cay Vacation Villas

hotels offsite
Motel 6
Best Western LBV

these onsite hotels
if paying cash these days
Pop Century

before was retired
Dixie Landng (POR)
CBR:rotfl2:
All stars - Sports, Music and Movies

using my points - DVC resorts
AKV - Jambo House
BLT (several times my favorite)
DVC (OKW)
BWV
BCV
VWL
SSR

these were solo trips -when traveling with others would need to add a few more hotels and timeshares

boy why did I stay there - well using my other timeshares it was cheaper to trade in with II got 2 weeks for one - this was a bargin - not any longer.
RCI was a cheap SA (since gone) that trade great - so got alot of them for less than $400 for the week including RCI fee. but RCI changed their rules and the SA wanted more in an accessment fee than I pay for it and all the fees up to then. So signed it back.

lately with RCI these have been either specials - $199 (this is generally for left over timeshares) or extra vacations (although these have gone up in price as well)

now with DVC - lots of these are 2 or 3 months (now BWV, BCV and BLT are not) before when needed to go to Disney. (less since no longer working)

AKV - Jambo House - did not stay there until solo trips - it is pretty wonderfully - very dramatic lobby.

OKW was my home resort until sold it for BLT
BWV is great for f/w festavial - brought it when Epcot was my favorite
BCV is just great
VWL is really nice in Dec and pretty good in the summer time
SSR is the best if you are going to DD - it is next door so walking is the best

BLT - okay love the MK - been going to the MK since 1972 and still love it - you can WALK to it from BLT. love the fireworks - you can see them in some of the standard rooms. You can take the boat to WL, VWL and FW - or the monorail to TTC, Polyn, GF and MK. You can go out or stay in - your choice.
the views, seeing the boats, sunset or sunrise.

now your trip you can rent DVC points and stay in a DVC deluxe - OKW, BWV standard and AKV - value or standard (value is only at JH) - are all about the same as a moderate price wise.

The first time I stayed solo at a resort was at CBR.....I was alone at the resort, but not the trip..met others who were at Boardwalk.
Second time was at WL in mid November '11. LOVED it. Decorated for holidays.
Last month I stayed at BC and LOVED it too.
Maybe because of going at holiday time; I think WL was my fave
I did love the closeness to EPCOT and DHS at BC though

I've been on my own a lot, and I have to say my favorite would be The Epcot Resort Area - Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk.

Beach Club is my favorite, but also more family oriented, so there will be more kids around. I always like Beach and Yacht because then you can go to the pool at Stormalong Bay, which with its sand bottom is extremely pleasant. You can also walk around the Boardwalk if you want some quiet time, or sit on the beach with your feet in the sand. It's also walking distance to Epcot and DHS, which cuts down on bus (or car) transportation time. (Plus Beaches & Cream is the perfect place to get an ice cream sunday!)

Boardwalk is great too, but it has more traffic since most people driving to the Epcot Resort area will park there and cut through.

Ive not been nold enough to go on my own. Seems like so much more fun to sharr with some kthers. Did most of yall meet up with a group

My first solo trip is coming up this May, I will be at BLT.

I had always wanted to stay there since they opened and it was the first opportunity to get a reservation on my DVC points at a time I could travel.

I would be just as happy solo at AKL with a savanna view or at BCV or BWV eg one of the EPCOT area DVC resorts. I know I wouldn't be as Happy at value or moderate resort and I own at SSR and love staying there and in the SSR treehouses : but I think as a solo at a resort BLT, AKL, BCV or BWV has the most appeal to me due to amenities & location.

Since you are planning your vacation so far in the future, maybe go with renting DVC points? That's what I'm doing for my self-reward trip early next year. :cheer2: My dates are already set in stone, so needing to book DVC so far in advance isn't an issue for me. I was willing to pay moderate resort prices, but this way I can get a deluxe resort experience for a little extra. I am hoping for BCV or BLT based on location and amenities, but I think any of them would be a good choice. I do think POFQ looks lovely in pictures and considered staying there, but ultimately being able to walk to the parks was more important.

Well my 2 cents....I came down with my son last July.Stayed at Bonnet..My son had his own room..TV.GAve him a key to the room..( he thoght he was in heaven. 15 yrs old)....Bonnet was clean.Discounts to the parks and they are on the disney bus route.I did not have to drive.....Already made plans for next july to do all over..

My first solo trip is coming up soon and I have booked Pop. I decided on Pop mostly because of cost. Not that I'm "saving" that money over another resort...just going spend it on other things. Since I'm by myself I want to go a little overboard with shopping and dining at nice table service places so my "savings" from staying at Pop are going towards that. I also won't be spending a lot of time in the room (though I like walking around the lake at night) and don't use the pool, hot tub, etc so those particular amenities don't really matter too much to me either. This first trip is also a shorter one (5 nights/6 days) so I won't have as much down time at the resort as I might on a longer stay.

I seriously considered POFQ because of the compact size, single bus stop, boat to DTD, etc...but felt in the end that I would rather save the money and would be just as happy at Pop.

If money was not an issue (either because I had more of it or was able to stay on points) then my dream solo resort would be AKV studio with savannah view. I would definitely enjoy the time sitting out on the balcony with a view of the wildlife. Seems quiet and peaceful to me. I would also enjoy having the kitchenette so I could bring leftovers from my meals back to the room easily. I also like that the studio has the couch set up because solo...well...I don't need an extra bed. The décor at AKV is right up my alley and I could even see myself sitting in that gorgeous lobby, by the pool, or at the viewing areas to just soak up the atmosphere.

Actually...I would enjoy any of the studio villas except the ones at OKW for many of the same reasons...but AKV would be my top choice. Followed closely by Bay Lake (walking distance to MK and like the décor a lot). Then it gets harder...BWV and BCV have the walking distance to Epcot and DHS going for them...but I don't like the décor. WL is another incredible resort with regards to theme (though the décor there in the studios vs regular rooms was sort of meh to me). I like SSR because of proximity to DTD and it seems like a more quiet resort than some of the others.

Can you tell I have thought about this a lot?

Wow rmom it really sounds like you have been busy and you have a lot on your plate. Nevertheless a trip to WDW is probably what you need. I guess I would need a little more information about your plans while visiting WDW (park hopping, one park, relaxing at the pool, etc) in order to provide my advice. Anyway, when I visit WDW I usually stay at one of the deluxe resorts on property since I am a DVC owner. I really like BLT because of the location to the Magic Kingdom which is my favorite park. For pool time relaxing I like Beach Club and also the location to Epcot so I and enjoy all the wonderful food which is why Boardwalk is also a good choice but not so much for the pool experience. I also enjoy AKV to for the beautiful property and to enjoy nature and wildlife from my balcony. To just get away from everyone and spread out I think the studio rooms at OKW are the largest and allow me to choose a location away from the hospatality house area. I hope you have a wonderful time on your solo trip and if you have any other questions regarding some of the deluxe resorts please asks.

I enjoy an offsite visit now and then. Escape the theming (often aimed at kids and the kids in us), save a few bucks (okay, you did say, "[e]xcluding the price..."), and decompress. Staying offsite while solo has not always been a significant time sink for me.

As you've asked, I've also enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza at the Florida Mall, but that's because I was attending conferences being held there, arriving a couple of days early for my WDW fix.

Thanks for all the responses!!! Wow - what is a girl to do:rolleyes:

So now I am more confused :rotfl: - well, not confused but there are placed I did not even think of. Maybe I need to go on more trips! I think I will split my stay to one cheaper and one deluxe. I am thinking maybe the Akl or Akv, if I can get a good price on dvc points. I'd like to go on one of the special tours they have. Maybe I could change hotels every day or two :rotfl2:, I'd get to see all the hotels but none of the parks. So much to decide! Life is sooo rough when you have to spend time deciding where to stay at WDW ;).

I have stayed solo at Pop, SSR, and Kidani.

At SSR and Kidani I was using points and got a studio.

For best value I go for Pop. I like it because there are always people about so I feel very safe. Plenty of space for one! I request a second floor near the stairs so I can run down to the food court to refill my mug.

Thanks for all the responses!!! Wow - what is a girl to do:rolleyes:

So now I am more confused :rotfl: - well, not confused but there are placed I did not even think of. Maybe I need to go on more trips! I think I will split my stay to one cheaper and one deluxe. I am thinking maybe the Akl or Akv, if I can get a good price on dvc points. I'd like to go on one of the special tours they have. Maybe I could change hotels every day or two :rotfl2:, I'd get to see all the hotels but none of the parks. So much to decide! Life is sooo rough when you have to spend time deciding where to stay at WDW ;).

Actually, I did this once-split a stay between a value and a deluxe. Value resort was ASMusic, which is the only Disney resort I've ever disliked. The deluxe was AKL, now one of my favorites. Before we joined DVC, my favorite solo resort was POR, loved the landscaping, not too spread out so I never felt alone. Post-DVC, my solo choice is BCV-if I'm in the parks and feel like going back, it's a short walk out the IG. And I love the clam chowder at BCV, where I never have trouble getting a table-most people seem to take their food to go. And I love to sit and read in the Solarium.

I have never done a solo trip, but if I ever do, I will rent points to stay in a studio at the Boardwalk. :thumbsup2

I'm going in 11 days and I'll be staying at ASMu, and then for my longer May trip I'm staying at Pop. I'm not the kind of person that uses the resort for much other than sleeping and showering, so I feel bad paying more than Value prices. However, I'd like to try renting points and getting a studio at AKL in the future, it's my favorite resort and worth the price, I think

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter