Solo trip - should I stay at Sports or Pop?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by lvdis, Feb 11, 2013.

1. lvdis

lvdis love disney

I'm considering going out 2 days early, at the end of May, when I have a conference in Orlando, so I can spend a couple of days at WDW. It's the first time I've gone to the parks alone and I'm not sure where to stay! Since it's just me and we have a family trip planned to DLR in June, I thought I would save some money and stay at a value resort.

I can get All Star Sports for $197 or Pop Century for $218. Which would you choose and why? I thought about trying out Port Orleans French Quarter, but it's $423 for those same two nights and I'm not sure I can justify that for just me!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I'd do Pop simply because its newer and closer to most of the parks than All Stars. The price difference would sway me if it was in the $40 range though.

4. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I was solo in August and stayed at Sports. I was very comfortable there in all aspects. I prefer AS to Pop as they have 1,000 fewer rooms and therefore less people and chaos. Either one would be fine!!

5. lotus1197

lotus1197 Mouseketeer

i prefer Sports over Pop also...i am in no way an athletic person or do i watch sports, but i did like the smaller size @ Sports.

6. Itinkso

Itinkso Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

I've stayed at Movies and Pop; it was easier to get to my room at Pop. Plus, an advantage for Pop is that you can walk across the bridge and check out AoA! They also have a great food court!

7. Bell30012

Bell30012 DIS Veteran

I'd choose POP over ASSp in a second. Then you could walk over and check out AoA. Which has the best food court of a value. POP is better laid out, IMH, than the All Stars. Nothing is really too far away. POP has the Remembrance Walk which is great for an early morning stroll. Plus I like the memorabilia in the lobby area. You might check AoA - LM price to see if it is a contender, as well. POP over ASSp, you are only talking about a $21 difference.

8. athumann

athumann Mouseketeer

I vote for Pop Century hands down! I've stayed at both and All Star Sports was so bad we asked to switch resorts after the first night. We had 2 adjoining rooms and they were in major need of refurbishing, the middle of the beds were sunk in and the rooms had a strange urine like smell to them. Ewww. I'm sure not all the rooms are that way but I won't ever take a chance like that again. But overall the resort seemed dark and dismal. Pop Century on the other hand is bright and cheerful and I love the open feel of the food court. We've stayed here 4 different times and have never had a bad experience.