Solo Traveler, which hotel to stay in?

ScottishFansie

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone

I am planning my second solo trip to Disney World for March 2017 for about 6 nights. I went for my first solo trip in April 2016 and love the experience of going solo (even though I still like going with my family). This year I stayed at the All star Music resort as it was part of a bigger traveling trip.

I am thinking of staying at one of the moderate hotels this time and was wondering which hotel would be best to stay in.

Also, if anybody has some solo traveling tips they would be much appreciated, i did some research before hand last time but want to be more prepare for my next trip.

*extra info, Female, traveling from Scotland, UK.

My preference is the CSR...it's more of a convention hotel and it is more "light deluxe" than the other moderates..but less Disney is some ways.
Once nice thing was it did not share buses with other resorts.

I usually end up at CBR though - it's usually less expensive and has more availability

Room only rates are better than package deals with the DDP..you really need at least two people in the room to break even with free dinning

For meals I tend to stick to the restaurants that have bars - same food but I prefer eating at the bar than at a table by myself - and there are usually other people to talk with at the bar

Last edited:
I like POFQ, it's smaller & more compact not as far to walk getting to & from buses, dining, boat, etc. Plus, I like the bonus of having a boat to DS...it's a very relaxing and scenic ride.

Everyone has their favorites. Pick the one that appeals the most to you. I normally stay at Pop, but I just booked an upcoming solo at CSR because I wanted more of a resort experience. They have a spa and a really great pool. I have stayed away before because when I stayed there with family, I did not like the convention feel. I have stayed solo at CBR and really enjoyed it. That was my first solo trip and I chose it because I had stayed there before and knew my way around the resort. Unfortunately I did not spring for a preferred room and that really makes a difference at CBR. I have stayed at POR and really enjoyed it as a resort overall. I would not hesitate to stay solo. My only complaint was I found the bus service not as good as other resorts. Lots of people like POFQ for its small size and think it makes a great solo location. Pick the one that gives you the best deal or when you look at it you think, YES! I think you will be happy with any of the moderates

Solo travel tips

This first one may sound new agey but decide what kind of trip you are looking for and tailor the trip to that goal. And if you find that you trip is making you miserable- change the type of trip. My first solo, I had the dining plan but made no reservations ahead of time- silly me, it was the slow season and I thought it would be easy to walk in to restaurants. HA! Never made that mistake again. Because of that I ended up stressed out at the beginning of my trip and miserable. I took an afternoon and laid in a hammock on the "beach" and made my phone calls to get reservations for the rest of the trip, I tried some places I never would have other wise and I learned that I needed to slow down. But the best part of solo is what works for you

Tip 2 make reservations, even as a solo. If dining alone stresses you out, practice at home. Or plan on restaurants that have a bar area and sit there.

Tip 3 if you find you are missing human contact, smile, pin trade, chat with cast members and fellow guests.

Tip 4 Have fun!

I guess it all depends on your plan, budget, etc. I personally like to stay at one of the monorail resorts (Bay Lake Tower, Poly, Grand Floridian) because my preferred park is MK but there are those visits when I plan on spending more time at Epcot so I stay at either Boardwalk or Beach Club. Good luck with your selection and upcoming trip.

Hi everyone

I am planning my second solo trip to Disney World for March 2017 for about 6 nights. I went for my first solo trip in April 2016 and love the experience of going solo (even though I still like going with my family). This year I stayed at the All star Music resort as it was part of a bigger traveling trip.

I am thinking of staying at one of the moderate hotels this time and was wondering which hotel would be best to stay in.

Also, if anybody has some solo traveling tips they would be much appreciated, i did some research before hand last time but want to be more prepare for my next trip.

*extra info, Female, traveling from Scotland, UK.
I have stayed at the Disney Caribbean Beach resort and was not impressed. I am going solo this time, in October, and staying at the Disney Port Orleans Riverside. What I did like about Caribbean was that it was relatively quiet, and Port Orleans Riverside promises to as well. I know some resorts are party city and I, being an introvert, don't like that atmosphere. While I'd love to stay closer to the MK, such as at the Polynesian, I cannot see myself shelling $500 or more for a room that sleeps 5, just for me. Moderate was the way to go, though Caribbean did feel at times like more a Value resort than Moderate, which is why I will be trying Port Orleans next.

:eeyore:

I have stayed at the Disney Caribbean Beach resort and was not impressed. I am going solo this time, in October, and staying at the Disney Port Orleans Riverside. What I did like about Caribbean was that it was relatively quiet, and Port Orleans Riverside promises to as well. I know some resorts are party city and I, being an introvert, don't like that atmosphere. While I'd love to stay closer to the MK, such as at the Polynesian, I cannot see myself shelling $500 or more for a room that sleeps 5, just for me. Moderate was the way to go, though Caribbean did feel at times like more a Value resort than Moderate, which is why I will be trying Port Orleans next.

:eeyore:
Lots of factors that can affect your experience. I have never stayed at a value, but I have stayed at all the deluxes as well as PO, CBR and CSR. I don't find the deluxes worth the money...the main benefit to me is the location..walking to epcot is great. Taking the monorail to MK is nice. Watching the fireworks from you room is also very nice. But the rooms themselves are unimpressive and nothing special IMO. The only deluxe I would consider again is the POLY, but that's me.

For the money I think CSR is the best value overall, but there is never availability for discounted rooms..so my next choice is CBR.

My experience at port Orleans was a nightmare and I'll never stay there again. This was because we were on the bottom floor and the room next to us had at least 8 if not 10 people in it. It was extremely noises and you could hear the toilets flushing all night in the all rooms around us. It was just bad luck. Hopefully your stay will be great.

So were am I going with this? Basically make sure you request a room on the top floor, preferably a corner room and a room without a connecting door.
Top floor means no kids running back and forth in the room above you.
Corner room means less rooms on all sides of you to make noise.
No connecting door reduces the chance of noise from the room next to you.

Also review all the hotel specific FAQ threads and pick the one that has the theaming you like.

OK, I have absolutely no experience here, but for some reason feel compelled to add my 2 cents anyway. Feel free to disreguard.

I would agree that a mod is a great idea, and that it's totally a matter of personal choice as to the theming.

But I would spring for a preferred location, close to the bus stop and the lobby. If you'll be alone, you want to be where people are as a safety measure... this isn't a time when you want a secluded room far from everyone else. Even those loud kids running in the halls come with parents, and that adds an extra measure of safety.

Since I go with family sometimes and solo sometimes, I tend to go "on the cheap" on solo trips....meaning I stay offsite, plus I like having a car.

That said, my favorite moderate is Port Orleans Riverside - just like the relaxed atmosphere and its pretty quiet.

I think any of them would be fine. I've stayed at POR solo and loved it, I was in the Magnolia Mansion which is not preferred and I didn't pay any extra for a view. My room sort of faced the courtyard with a view of the parking lot, 2nd floor. As you have already stayed in a Value, you know the view doesn't matter as chances are you aren't going to be sitting there looking out the window. I could walk over the bridge and be at the main building in about 5 min and there was a bus stop right at my building which make it super easy when coming home from the parks. I got up before sunrise every morning and jogged/walked around the entire resort and never felt unsafe. There are lots of little out of the way places to sit and take in the beautiful view and the walk over to POFQ was only about 10 min.

I stayed at CSR with my adult son and we loved it as well. We were in the Jamaica building bottom floor. We had no problems with noise and again it wasn't a preferred room. There was a bus stop across the parking lot at our section and the walk to the food court was about 7 min. Again, I got up before sunrise every morning and walked around the entire resort (my son slept in) and again never felt unsafe. We enjoyed it and again there were lots of little hidden places to relax alone. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there solo.

I'm staying at CS in Sept. solo. I'm trying to stay at every resort and actually have done split stays at all of the above, I do one or two days at a moderate and then move to a deluxe. I've visited CS and am not even going to ask for a specific area, just take what they are going to give me. I have no problems with the walks at any of the ones I've stayed at so far, when I visited I got off the bus at the farthest stop just to see how bad the walk was to the main building and it wasn't any worse then going through the long hallways in the deluxe resorts, just uncovered.

I don't make advance ADRs when I go solo (in all fairness I don't do it when I go with my son either) we prefer to just go to GS in the morning at whatever park we are at and let them find us something. Or I've been known to be walking around a park and get on MDE and find one. I've never had any problems finding somewhere to eat and I love trying new places. I don't eat at the bar, I eat solo all the time at home when my honey is travelling and I travel solo a lot since my honey hates to travel so I have no problems eating at a table alone. I always have my kindle downloaded to my phone and after the CM takes my order I just read or people watch. I often find someone in lines at rides to talk to and if not, I love just people watching and noticing all the details in the lines. I find I don't ride as many rides when I'm solo, I take me time and walk slow and enjoy the place. I spend time at the pool or sit in the shade at WS in Epcot with a glass of wine or an ice cream and just relax.

If you can afford it, book a tour. Those are always fun and you get great stories of behind the scenes.

Lots of factors that can affect your experience. I have never stayed at a value, but I have stayed at all the deluxes as well as PO, CBR and CSR. I don't find the deluxes worth the money...the main benefit to me is the location..walking to epcot is great. Taking the monorail to MK is nice. Watching the fireworks from you room is also very nice. But the rooms themselves are unimpressive and nothing special IMO. The only deluxe I would consider again is the POLY, but that's me.

For the money I think CSR is the best value overall, but there is never availability for discounted rooms..so my next choice is CBR.

My experience at port Orleans was a nightmare and I'll never stay there again. This was because we were on the bottom floor and the room next to us had at least 8 if not 10 people in it. It was extremely noises and you could hear the toilets flushing all night in the all rooms around us. It was just bad luck. Hopefully your stay will be great.

So were am I going with this? Basically make sure you request a room on the top floor, preferably a corner room and a room without a connecting door.
Top floor means no kids running back and forth in the room above you.
Corner room means less rooms on all sides of you to make noise.
No connecting door reduces the chance of noise from the room next to you.

Also review all the hotel specific FAQ threads and pick the one that has the theaming you like.

I am wondering, when you had that bad experience at the PORS, what time of the year was it? Were you in a Garden View room? I am going late October, when generally kids are back in school, and staying in a Garden View room. I specifically chose the timing. Granted, there will always be annoying people, no matter the time of year. It seems more and more, people have become extremely self involved and don't really care who they annoy. I also travel with a noise machine, which blocks out a lot of extraneous noise.

I am wondering, when you had that bad experience at the PORS, what time of the year was it? Were you in a Garden View room? I am going late October, when generally kids are back in school, and staying in a Garden View room. I specifically chose the timing. Granted, there will always be annoying people, no matter the time of year. It seems more and more, people have become extremely self involved and don't really care who they annoy. I also travel with a noise machine, which blocks out a lot of extraneous noise.
Can't recall to be honest, it was awhile back - and I know the place has had a refreb since - but I won't go back. This could happen at any hotels - it's just the luck of the draw. Even at top of the line brand new hotels (non disney) you get noise from other rooms - they walls are just too thin IMO. I'm guessing you wont have the issues I had. I think I was there during race week (car racing) and there were just a lot of groups overfilling rooms.

The noise machine is a good tip - I bring one as well

Can't recall to be honest, it was awhile back - and I know the place has had a refreb since - but I won't go back. This could happen at any hotels - it's just the luck of the draw. Even at top of the line brand new hotels (non disney) you get noise from other rooms - they walls are just too thin IMO. I'm guessing you wont have the issues I had. I think I was there during race week (car racing) and there were just a lot of groups overfilling rooms.

The noise machine is a good tip - I bring one as well
Yeah, I think the best times to go to Disney are when they're not having massive events. Some things like the Mickey-Not-So-Scary Halloween got on for a whole month and spread out enough so as to not pack people in like sardines. It also happens when kids are back in school: signal for me to go to WDW! But it seems most rooms pack 5, with bunk beds and all, so people turn around and pack 8 in one room. Not sure where they put everyone, but the rooms next door get to share in the not-so-magical experience!

I LOVE my noise machine. It is just white noise (not birds chirping, or crickets or ocean waves). I use it all the time. I am a musician, so my hearing is extremely sensitive. Noises from other people, cars, barking dogs, all can turn a night into hell. With a noise machine, the world doesn't exist. Since I am driving to WDW, I may also bring my own pillow. I find that hotel pillows these days are useless and I pack three on top of each other just to feel like I have one! On the other hand....there have been reports of some Disney resorts having bed bugs! While I am sure this is unlikely and rarely happens, the last thing I'd want is to bring them home on my pillow!!!

I have stayed at POR 6 times and have never had a noise issue. I have stayed at POR in March, May x2, Oct x2, and in early Dec. I am going to do a solo trip in the fall of 2017 and I SHOULD stay at Pop but I think I would miss POR too much.

I have stayed at POR 6 times and have never had a noise issue. I have stayed at POR in March, May x2, Oct x2, and in early Dec. I am going to do a solo trip in the fall of 2017 and I SHOULD stay at Pop but I think I would miss POR too much.
Thank you for your post! I am even happier to have booked at POR for my upcoming October trip!

I simply cannot justify moderate or deluxe hotels. All I do is sleep there. I stay at a budget Disney hotel and sometimes I will spend a quiet morning exploring a deluxe hotel before the parks. I love spending a table service credit for a really nice breakfast at a deluxe. (breakfast is my favorite meal).

But if you really want to stay at a moderate: i would say the Coronado for the restaurants.

I am doing my first solo trip in September. I opted for POFQ. I liked the small size, the theming looked great, and it will be a new resort for me. Also, because I didn't know how much time I would be spending at the resort on a solo trip - I wanted there to be a decent pool/pool bar option in case I wanted to spend an afternoon there.

Everyone has their favorites. Pick the one that appeals the most to you. I normally stay at Pop, but I just booked an upcoming solo at CSR because I wanted more of a resort experience. They have a spa and a really great pool. I have stayed away before because when I stayed there with family, I did not like the convention feel. I have stayed solo at CBR and really enjoyed it. That was my first solo trip and I chose it because I had stayed there before and knew my way around the resort. Unfortunately I did not spring for a preferred room and that really makes a difference at CBR. I have stayed at POR and really enjoyed it as a resort overall. I would not hesitate to stay solo. My only complaint was I found the bus service not as good as other resorts. Lots of people like POFQ for its small size and think it makes a great solo location. Pick the one that gives you the best deal or when you look at it you think, YES! I think you will be happy with any of the moderates
I agree--just choose what you like. I think solos have stayed at every resort and will pretty much say that they have not had any issues with the fact that they are solo. I've stayed BC, BWI, AKL, and CSR solo. I have no problem eating at TS solo--you'll see plenty of people doing it--I tend to bring my e-reader with me since I am a voracious reader. I also love walking so size of resort and distances to places is never really a problem for me. If it is for you, then that might help you narrow down your resort choices. Have a great time--I plan to in December again at AKL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter