Solo Traveler - Dining Help!

Soulcraft

Earning My Ears
Hey guys,

I JUST booked a 3 night stay at AKL in early May and I was hoping for some TS dining advice. I will be traveling solo. I think it's worth mentioning that I'm 28, male, and don't particularly care about the character interaction aspect as much as I do a great meal with some wine and an adult environment, etc. I realize that the previous statement mainly concerns dinner, but if anyone has any breakfast or lunch recommendations, I absolutely welcome those. Breakfast is, after all, the most important meal of the day!

I was at WDW last November with some friends and we tried to indulge ourselves with the food aspect as much as we could. Here's where we went with my thoughts:

Captain's Grille (breakfast) - I thought it was very very good but have heard otherwise from people
Boma (breakfast) - I'm sure I'll be here every morning. Lots of amazing food
Biergarten (lunch) - Lots of beer made this quite entertaining, but I don't think I'll be doing it again solo
Le Chefs de France (dinner) - very very good meal at a great location. I could see myself eating here again
Kona Cafe (breakfast) - Huge portions, amazing food. I don't know if it's worth it making the trek out to Poly again for this, but it was awesome

That's all the big TS places that I can remember eating at. For this upcoming trip, however, where should I eat?! I'll end with a list of places I'm currently mulling over in my head:

Sanaa / Monsieur Paul / California Grill / Via Napoli / Tutto Italia / Narcossee / Citrico's / Tusker House

Thanks for any help and advice!

If you can budget it, I'd add Jiko. When I ate solo there, I ate at the bar. The salad chef there was super nice, and gave me some samples. You also might like Coral Reef at a tank-side table. Wherever you eat, I always recommend that solos point out to the hostess who seats them that since they're alone and won't have a dining companion to talk to, they'd like "something to watch" as they dine. That's gotten me a tank side table at Coral Reef every time I've been there.

Cali Grill, Via, Tutto, Citrico's and Tusker (breakfast is awesome, not lunch)....heck ya!!! All great choices! Via is my fave...amazing pasta and pizza. I love the candele pasta a lot. The four cheese pizza and pepperoni pizza are both outstanding.

I've been wanting to try monsieur paul and narccossees.

Soulcraft, I am in the same boat (29, male, solo). I've run the gamut from food courts to character meals to signature dining. Gotta agree on Boma and Kona for breakfast, they are two of my favorite options (Boma especially). I also liked Les Chefs; I got a great seat next to the window during Illuminations and my server was really attentive.

For recommendations, I'd throw in Jiko as well; I had a seat at the counter and had one of the cooks working the brick oven carry on a great convo all the way through my meal and the chef came out at the end and offered me a complimentary dessert! A great experience there with some unique food options for sure. Now I know some people have mixed reviews but I've had 2 great meals at Artist Point (again maybe I was the only one not lucked out, but I enjoyed my meals). Another great option is the Brown Derby. They also have an outdoor patio with drink options/nice appetizers if you don't want the full meal, nice for people watching too. I will also second Via Napoli; their pizza was the best I have had on property so far. As for Coral Reef, I have had a couple terrible servers ruin the experience and I didn't much care for the food either. I had Tusker for lunch and it must have been a bad day or something (for me or the cooks) because I left most of my food on the plates; it just didn't do it for me.

Sanaa / Monsieur Paul / California Grill / Via Napoli / Tutto Italia / Narcossee / Citrico's / Tusker House
I booked Sanaa for my trip at the end of May, as I hear nothing but amazing things about this place. I am also booked at the Flying Fish as I hear they have some of the best seafood on property (probably a better option than Coral Reef in the EPCOT area). Won't happen on this upcoming trip but I've been wanting to go to Cali Grill for some drinks and to catch Wishes from the rooftop; I hear it's a great experience.

Couple of places I have been that weren't mentioned would be Rose and Crown (outdoors, on the water, for some typical pub food for lunch on a sunny day...awesome), Ragland Road (fun, live entertainment with more typical pub food), Beaches and Cream (a burger and a No Way Jose at the counter is a great treat), Big River Grille (AWESOME beer, pretty good food, and usually more an adult-vibe) and Il Mulino's (forgot what I had there but it was really good, more adult-casual dining, had a band play in the bar area).

I think overall, the pricier the place, the more likely you'll get the adult-vibe with less kids around. I also think a restaurant with a counter/bar to eat at is great for solos as you don't take up a table, you usually get interactions with the bartender/cook and your back is usually to the rest of the diners (in case you are one of those people who are concerned about getting "looks"). As most will tell you, 10 experiences at a restaurant could offer 10 different opinions. I would say give something a shot at least once (maybe twice to confirm your opinion) and make the most of it. All of your choices sound great though!

I highly recommend all the restaurants at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Like others have mentioned if you seated at the cooking station it really does enhance a solo dinning experience.

On my last visit I tried the California Grill for the second time and still was not really impressed. I prefer the Wave of American Flavors also in the Contempory. I have had their breakfast, lunch and dinner and not one meal was a disappointment. During lunch you can seat at the bar for and found that as enjoyable as eating lunch in the dinning room.

I very much enjoyed both Via Napoli and Tutto Italia and either is an excellent choice. If you are interested there is a new Italian restaurant that just opened at the Boardwalk. If you give it a try you have let us know if you would recommend it to solo travelers.

Enjoy and report back.

Boma breakfast is excellent, but also try dinner there! I loved it. Sanaa is a must as well, especially since you're at AKL.

If you feel like traveling over to Wilderness Lodge, Artist Point is one of my favorite restaurants.

You should definitely try Jiko if you're staying at AKL. Great wine list and a nice, quiet , relaxing atmosphere. Boma is great for breakfast. We ate there for breakfast every day when we stayed there. It's a bit of a trek to go elsewhere for breakfast from AKL but also there's so many options that every day can be different.

StlDisFan, totally agree with everything you said. After several reviews and recommendations I think I'll try out Jiko and sit by the bar/counter. As for lunch, you mentioned a few spots that have been on my radar: Rose and Crown Pub, Beaches and Cream, and Big River Grille. I've been in the pub-section of Rose and Crown many times and consumed many pints, but how's the food? As for Beaches and Cream, you have my attention with a good burger and fries, but what's a No Way Jose? Is it a milkshake-type drink or alcoholic?

I very much enjoyed both Via Napoli and Tutto Italia and either is an excellent choice.

Via Napoli has been a place I've really wanted to eat at since my last visit in November (totally booked, couldn't get in), but I've read that Tutto Italia might be even better. Don't they have a bar/lounge section where you can have appetizers and wine? Is there a full menu as well?

Sanaa is a must as well, especially since you're at AKL

What meal at Sanaa? Dinner? Lunch?

As for Boma, I'm sure I'll be there EVERY morning. My last breakfast was great!

Finally, what QS place in each park would you say is a must-eat? I've heard Flame Tree BBQ is legit.

Via Napoli has been a place I've really wanted to eat at since my last visit in November (totally booked, couldn't get in), but I've read that Tutto Italia might be even better. Don't they have a bar/lounge section where you can have appetizers and wine? Is there a full menu as well?

Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar is also a nice choice. It is a nice place for a glass of wine and a small plate of two.

StlDisFan, totally agree with everything you said. After several reviews and recommendations I think I'll try out Jiko and sit by the bar/counter. As for lunch, you mentioned a few spots that have been on my radar: Rose and Crown Pub, Beaches and Cream, and Big River Grille. I've been in the pub-section of Rose and Crown many times and consumed many pints, but how's the food? As for Beaches and Cream, you have my attention with a good burger and fries, but what's a No Way Jose? Is it a milkshake-type drink or alcoholic?

Rose and Crown had some decent food. I just had the fish and chips, a nice salad, and their awesome sticky toffee pudding. Perhaps it was more the sun/nice weather and the waterfront that did it, but I enjoyed the meal and my server was really nice/attentive; I thought it was well done meal though overall. You could just as easily eat some fish and chips from that stand next door and then go in for drinks, but I was looking to kill off a dining plan meal and I felt it was worth it. Depends on what you'd want from the menu or what your dining goal is. YMMV.

Beaches and Cream is really just a slightly-above-generic burger, so I don't want to you thinking it was outstanding or anything. Disney does plenty of burgers, but I have yet to find one that really wows me. But pair that with the No Way Jose and it just seems to "fit" in that soda shop vibe. From the WDW site: No Way Jose - $8.49 A Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge delight featuring Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry. I can hold my own when it comes to eating, but that is a challenge to finish the meal and that sundae; they put it in a beer "fishbowl" glass, so it's alot of ice cream. I think they have a couple of beer options but I don't think they do mixed drinks or anything.

I wouldn't put them up their with Jiko or Artist Point or Brown Derby, but if you take them for what they are (simple soda shop or pub food) they are pretty good options for table service meals.

Jiko, Sanaa, Citricos - in addition to Boma and Tusker House are among my favorites - also Liberty Tree for lunch.

Sanaa - I actually prefer it at lunch solo - or at least when it's light out and you can see out the windows. But getting to Sanaa for lunch is a trek if you are really out at a park that day. I did this once after a late night (early morning, 2am close) at MK so my 11:30 am lunch was the first meal of the day....

Breakfast - Boma - awesome breakfast - but I think once might be enough unless you are a really big eater! There's SO much food. I eat there for breakfast and lunch doesn't happen. If you want an alternative adult breakfast - try Grand Floridan Cafe. Quieter, no characters, not a buffet. Especially if you go early - not so many kids. Adults reading the paper, lingering over coffee. Check the menu though as its not a buffet and make sure there are choices you want. If you are a coffee drinker - this is good place to get a press pot. I also like Kona for breakfast - but that place feels more family oriented.

Tusker House - my preference is dinner there. Food choices are different (kinda like Boma). Without the characters at dinner - it's not quite as crazy as breakfast or lunch. If you do this - get a LATE dinner there - so its the last thing you do at AK that day. Makes walking out of the park kinda cool because the crowds are gone since everything is really closed up - just waiting for the last dinner guests to leave.

Jiko - awesome food. Probably best on property (minus V&A) IMO. I've only done an early dinner there solo - so I went to a park during day, returned to AKV (my fav solo resort) for a break, and then hit another park late after dinner. If you do EARLY there - like a first reservation when they open - the restaurant isn't full - so you won't get as many kids and it's just quieter - so feels more adult. You could also do this one LATE. Prime dinner hours you'll have a greater chance of getting grumpy kids. The nice things about this place, though - seems like most families there are with kids who know how to behave in a restaurant. Maybe I've just been lucky - but been there three times - no cranky family dramas to be seen.

I just did Artist Point solo for the first time last month. I did an early dinner. It was quiet since they had just opened. Service was terrific, I did notice that some of the tables for two weren't in great spots, but my table wasn't BAD, either. Food was well-prepared, but I, honestly, didn't love my meal. Adult choices - but I just didn't love the salmon and mushroom soup. Adult flavors on the menu - and I can easily see why folks love this place - but my meal didn't gel together as awesome for me. While Wilderness Lodge is FUN to see and I love riding the boat over there from MK, the restaurant itself isn't that interesting in terms of decor. It's nice, but not terribly unique. Might come here for the food when traveling with my significant other next time since he'll love the menu - but the restaurant itself wasn't interesting enough for me to return as a solo. Now - they do have a little LOUNGE when you can order drinks and food off a lounge menu. Might try there solo.

Last month I did do The Wave solo at CR. That place has my favorite steak - awesome. Had it twice now and best meal each trip. I did the Wave early again (like 5pm?) - had a really nice server and since it was early she had time to chit chat a bit. The place has no windows - which is weird feeling.

Anyway - I've found the only places I don't like solo are in Epcot at dinner! Always feels like there are lots of couples out at that time - and I get lonely then!!! Not sure why.... but hey

Grand Floridan Cafe. Quieter, no characters, not a buffet. Especially if you go early - not so many kids. Adults reading the paper, lingering over coffee. Check the menu though as its not a buffet and make sure there are choices you want. If you are a coffee drinker - this is good place to get a press pot

KWDW, thanks for the great reply! I hadn't considered GF café, but with what you said, it seems perfect, especially if for nothing else than to escape another huge meal at Boma.

I've since been convinced Jiko is where its at. If I can snag a table at the counter or oven I should be in business. I'll try a late dinner there after the parks one night with a bottle of some exotic African wine. :D

Now that leaves me with 2 more TS dinners to fill. Since Epcot has extra hours the day I arrive, I'd figure I'd spend Friday there. There's still ADR's available at Monsieur Paul, Via Napoli, Chefs De France, Yachtsman, and Teppan Edo. I don't have a problem with eating solo at Epcot, especially if I'm surrounded by families or at a table off to the side. I've heard Teppan is a great spot for solo travelers since you're eating with a group, but if I only have 1 chance to have a nice meal, I'd be willing to sacrifice the environment for a Monsieur Paul or Yachtsman experience. Any suggestions on those?

For the last meal I was considering stacking DHS and MK, since MK will be open until 2 am. As I make my way from DHS to MK I could stop at CR, Poly, or GF for dinner. There's room at Citrico's, Narcoossee's, and Victoria and Alberts. I've only heard raving reviews for Citrico's, so I imagine that will be my destination. Is this a crowd favorite?

Now that leaves me with 2 more TS dinners to fill. Since Epcot has extra hours the day I arrive, I'd figure I'd spend Friday there. There's still ADR's available at Monsieur Paul, Via Napoli, Chefs De France, Yachtsman, and Teppan Edo. I don't have a problem with eating solo at Epcot, especially if I'm surrounded by families or at a table off to the side. I've heard Teppan is a great spot for solo travelers since you're eating with a group, but if I only have 1 chance to have a nice meal, I'd be willing to sacrifice the environment for a Monsieur Paul or Yachtsman experience. Any suggestions on those?

I can't speak personally on Monsieur Paul's or the Yachtsman but from what I hear from The Team and reviews elsewhere on other sites those are two really solid locations for a great meal. I think if you are looking for a steak specifically, then I would lean to the Yachtsman.

As I mentioned before, Via and Chefs are great options too, can't really go wrong with either. Teppan Edo was a lot of fun; the time flies by with the "entertainment" that you don't really notice eating solo, and fortunately in my case, the two times I've gone the other people at the table were great company as we got really into the experience. Although it's food is not anything to rave about, I'd compare it to the generic Japanese hibachi restaurants here in town. A fun meal nonetheless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter