Solo travel - which resort?

FosterLovesMickey

Ready for Disney......
I'm currently booked at Pop Century (which is where we typically love to stay as a family); however, I keep looking at the Beach Club… thinking - close to Epcot, interior room entry (like the idea of this as I'm traveling alone), close to boardwalk, etc. I'm thinking if I am traveling alone, I might utilize the amenities of the deluxe more than we would as a family… but, I just can't decide. Obviously, it is a bit more … thoughts??

As someone who worked for the mouse and now as a guest (sometimes solo), you will love the beach club. It's a great place stay while at disney but even better solo. Close to everything, the pools are great, food and entertainment on the boardwalk, need I say more. The safety issue is a very good thought as well. Go for it.

I highly recommend Port Orleans Riverside! I stayed there because is was a last minute great deal, tho I hadn't really heard anything about it. We stayed in the Magnolia mansions that face the river. The setting of the resort is like a beautiful park, lush grounds, lots of walking paths and multiple pools that are great for adults who want to get away from all the kiddies and the main pool. I absolutely love this resort. I went back 4 more times and will go back time and again. However, I think the word is getting out because it is getting booked! My favorite part is the boat to Downtown Disney!

I actually prefer the Yacht Club over the Beach Club. Seems to be a bit quieter and all rooms have a full balcony.

So - I've given it (more than I probably should have, honestly) thought … and, I finally decided that with another trip planned in January, and only myself to entertain - I can't justify BC. BUT, I wanted to try something different than POP - and, since we are entertaining POFQ for the family trip in January - in the name of RESEARCH, I changed my ressie to POFQ. I mean, I owe it to my family to be sure before I take them there, right?? That said - thoughts on POFQ??

I've never stayed at POFQ but did stay POR, solo. Loved it, never felt anything but safe, even getting up early in the morning and jogging around the resort. Having said that, I love the YC/BC as well, it's my go to resort.

I've never stayed at POFQ but did stay POR, solo. Loved it, never felt anything but safe, even getting up early in the morning and jogging around the resort. Having said that, I love the YC/BC as well, it's my go to resort.

Thanks for the input!! Though I've decided against BC for this trip (primarily b/c I have another trip planned in January!), I definitely want to stay there at some point. I'm hoping for another solo trip later in the year, next year - and it is on my short list for sure!!

Last edited:
When you try for BC, try and rent a reservation from a DVC owner at BCV. You can possibly save some monies on the room.
The DVC BCV is part of the same resort just a different building. The studio rooms are larger than a regular hotel room and come with microwave, refrigerator, and toaster. You get access to free laundry room. The one downside to some people is that you do not get daily mousekeeping. Checkout the stickies within the DVC board for more details.

Last edited:
When you try for BC, try and rent a reservation from a DVC owner at BCV. You can possibly save some monies on the room.
The DVC BCV is part of the same resort just a different building. The studio rooms are larger than a regular hotel room and come with microwave, refrigerator, and toaster. You get access to free laundry room. the one downside to some people is that you do not get daily mousekeeping. Checkout the stickies with the DVC board for moe details.

Good suggestion, I will keep that in mind!!

I think the big question is your budget. If you can justify the cost I would say do it. I enjoy the deluxe resorts that I usually plan a few days just to hang out at the resort and enjoy the amenities.

I have stayed solo at both CBR and POR since I was in Orlando area on business. Love them both. I cannot justify the expense of a deluxe unless I have to. Had 1 night solo at WL when my DD's choir was singing at parks because POR was fully booked. My only split stay.

No matter where I stayed I felt safe and did not feel "weird" being alone!

I think the big question is your budget. If you can justify the cost I would say do it. I enjoy the deluxe resorts that I usually plan a few days just to hang out at the resort and enjoy the amenities.

Thank you! Given that we have a family trip in January, I decided to hold the $$ back for that trip (seemed a little selfish of me to go deluxe when it was just me, I guess… though, I would have NO DOUBT enjoyed it).

I have stayed solo at both CBR and POR since I was in Orlando area on business. Love them both. I cannot justify the expense of a deluxe unless I have to. Had 1 night solo at WL when my DD's choir was singing at parks because POR was fully booked. My only split stay.

No matter where I stayed I felt safe and did not feel "weird" being alone!

Thanks for your input!!

Hopefully my input isn't too late. I've stayed at POR, and walked through POFQ. To me, POFQ is boring and dull. POR was just average IMO. As a solo traveler, I enjoyed Coronado Springs very much. In fact, it's now my favorite moderate. I love the theme, the lake, and the relative serenity, compared to POR. I've also stayed at AKL and WL. Up to now, WL has been my favorite resort. This summer I'm splitting ten nights at Contemporary (business-related) and Yacht Club (solo). I've always wanted to stay at YC. I don't think it will beat WL for me, but who knows? I can't wait to find out.

But if I were you, I'd spend my solo trip at CSR instead of POFQ. Just my 2 cents.

Hopefully my input isn't too late. I've stayed at POR, and walked through POFQ. To me, POFQ is boring and dull. POR was just average IMO. As a solo traveler, I enjoyed Coronado Springs very much. In fact, it's now my favorite moderate. I love the theme, the lake, and the relative serenity, compared to POR. I've also stayed at AKL and WL. Up to now, WL has been my favorite resort. This summer I'm splitting ten nights at Contemporary (business-related) and Yacht Club (solo). I've always wanted to stay at YC. I don't think it will beat WL for me, but who knows? I can't wait to find out.

But if I were you, I'd spend my solo trip at CSR instead of POFQ. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your input!! Not too late - I'm happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay at CSR! I'm actually splitting between CSR and POFQ… so, I'll get to experience CSR!! I have no clue which I will prefer - but, this way I get the opportunity to decide between the two in one trip!! Hope you enjoy your summer stay at Contemporary and YC!

I LOVE POFQ. I have stayed there 3 times solo and it is my go-to resort. It is small, pretty, easy to get around, and surprisingly the exterior corridors don't bother me at all. I love BC, too, but that's too pricey for my annual solo trips. Check out the POFQ FAQ thread here and the POFQ photos thread elsewhere on these boards.

I stayed at POFQ in 2013 with a group of friends as my first disney trip as an adult (previous time was in HS in 2002, we stayed in All Star Movies for Magic Music Days for band and before that I had only been with my parents in 1989 and most of the hotels didn't exist yet...) and I thought the resort was HUGE! Fast forward to 2014 and I did another trip with friends, and we stayed at POR and we wandered around AKL and YC/BC and I now see what a huge resort is... POFQ to me was more convenient than POR because everything was so compact so if I were planning to commando the parks I would totally stay here, but I am not really into the "city" atmosphere and really enjoyed walking around the grounds of POR. Staying in the mansion also made me feel like a princess. I would stay at either one again, the boat to DTD was also a plus. That said, I am going down again in November, and I booked a split stay between AKL and BC (would normally pick YC because of the atmosphere/balcony, but YC will be in renovations while BC will have just finished them). This is supposed to be my splurge trip and I'm planning on spending a lot more time at the hotel so having the animal entertainment as well as stormalong bay should be a lot of fun. What you could consider doing is a "girls weekend" sort of trip some time so you have others to split the cost of the deluxe so it doesn't hurt as much :)

I LOVE POFQ. I have stayed there 3 times solo and it is my go-to resort. It is small, pretty, easy to get around, and surprisingly the exterior corridors don't bother me at all. I love BC, too, but that's too pricey for my annual solo trips. Check out the POFQ FAQ thread here and the POFQ photos thread elsewhere on these boards.

Thanks for your input! I think that I will enjoy POFQ! Another trip, I certainly hope to do BC!

I stayed at POFQ in 2013 with a group of friends as my first disney trip as an adult (previous time was in HS in 2002, we stayed in All Star Movies for Magic Music Days for band and before that I had only been with my parents in 1989 and most of the hotels didn't exist yet...) and I thought the resort was HUGE! Fast forward to 2014 and I did another trip with friends, and we stayed at POR and we wandered around AKL and YC/BC and I now see what a huge resort is... POFQ to me was more convenient than POR because everything was so compact so if I were planning to commando the parks I would totally stay here, but I am not really into the "city" atmosphere and really enjoyed walking around the grounds of POR. Staying in the mansion also made me feel like a princess. I would stay at either one again, the boat to DTD was also a plus. That said, I am going down again in November, and I booked a split stay between AKL and BC (would normally pick YC because of the atmosphere/balcony, but YC will be in renovations while BC will have just finished them). This is supposed to be my splurge trip and I'm planning on spending a lot more time at the hotel so having the animal entertainment as well as stormalong bay should be a lot of fun. What you could consider doing is a "girls weekend" sort of trip some time so you have others to split the cost of the deluxe so it doesn't hurt as much :)

Thank you for your input! I'm looking forward to staying at POFQ and I plan to take a trip over to POR to check it out too. Your trip sounds wonderful - I know you'll have a great time!

I'd love to do a girls trip - but, I tried it last year and it didn't go so well… so, I think I need to find more like minded traveling companions. lol

Thanks, again, for your input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!