Solo Mini Trip Report from Yesterday

flyingdumbo127

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone :)

I did get spend about 5 hours at DL yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I am someone who is happy just being there. I needed some extra cheer and DL is the place for that :) I was a little disappointed to be going by myself but after beginning my walk down to the bag check area, I already had a huge smile on my face and thankful to be there. I will say, IMO, it is more fun with a friend, one day I would love to also go with my Mr. Right, but it can be a positive experience to go as I did for a little while on your own. I am blessed to live within an hour of DL so I am local. I also have an annual pass that I want to be sure and enjoy as well as know it paid for itself, too!

I got to the park around 10:15. I immediately went to the Storyland Boats. I had not been on that ride or Casey, Jr. in years! My only memories of Casey were from as a kid not liking the cramped cage cars. I liked the boats better. I was surprised yesterday to discover the opposite was true for me! I waited an hour+ for those boats! It was a relaxing cruise and seemed longer than I remembered. I did enjoy how peaceful it was like a boat ride on the lake. I wished there were clearer touches to the mini houses. Like by the 3 pigs houses, show the three little pigs! By Pinocchio's Village show Pinocchio. I know there was a Toad Hall marked (I was never into those movies). I just was wanting some extra visible fun connection to what I was seeing. Does anyone else feel that way? I LOVE Disneyland always have and am not meaning to complain, just how I felt.

In the afternoon, I did go on Casey, Jr (wait was half the time or less as the boats) and was able to ride in the front open car behind the driver, that was cool! :) It was a cute ride and truly something different for me. As I shared above I think it could have also been made more fun if there were extra Storyland touches. Does anyone know if there is only ONE Casey, Jr. train? It looked to be that way yesterday. The driver also was doing everything herself: counting people to get on, opening/closing the gate and of course, driving. Talk about cramped! Where she sat was so teeny tiny, I would not like that at all.

I got to ride my favorite Dumbo, twice and once almost as a walk on. This is actually the main reason for this report as an FYI. In 2009 DL had a one time promotion. If you went on your actual birthday, you were given free admission. Or if like me you had an annual pass that was valid on your birthday, they gave you a Birthday Gift Card that contained park admission. So nice of them to do! I had not been to DL from my birthday, 2009 until early December last year due to health issues. I still have almost $30 on that card. I did in December call the gift card number and was assured of the balance and that it never expires. Yesterday, I went to Village Haus (where I always go :) for lunch. I had the birthday gift card and a regular gift card with me, I did have emergency cash but was wanting to use money already spent in the GC's first. I mistakenly thought the birthday card balance was lower than it is. I also thought the regular gift card had a higher balance (it is the other way around). Because of that I wanted to use up the birthday card first and that was how I tried to pay. I did get to Village Haus shortly after they opened there was no line at all. The cashier was so friendly and could not understand why my card was not going through (she completely believed me that it had balance that was never an issue). I explained to her that I had double checked by calling in December and did not use the card on my trip then. I had also not been back to DL since then. she was perplexed. She called over her supervisor who tried himself to get the card to work, he also manually entered all the info and nothing. He was so sweet to ask if I had another way to pay! That he took the time to do that meant a lot to me. I did have the regular Disney Gift Card that I had gotten at Target and used that. He and the lady cashier suggested I go to City Hall Guest Services to find out about the birthday card and find out if need be if it could be cashed out. Maybe it was a question of it being an older card.

I did go to City Hall and lol unlike in Dec, there was no line at all! I walked right in. I spoke to the nicest CM there, she was awesome. I explained to her what happened. At her end she was able to swipe the card and print out a balance paper that she gave me showing $29+ on it. She didn't understand why it would not work at Village Haus. She asked me if I knew the names of either the cashier or supervisor, I didn't. she called them a couple times until she did get through. She had them enter the g/c number and tell her what they were seeing (unreadable). She then read the fine print on the card on the back and it does say excludes food. I had honestly never read that. I assumed a GC was a GC! Or if I had maybe initially in 2009 read it maybe I thought it meant no vendors like for cotton candy. I was completely not aware it would not work at restaurants and as I found out neither were they, we all learned. I later called the GC number and they verified for me that is exactly what happened. So if any of you still have a balance on 2009 birthday GC know it can only be used in stores.

The CM at Guest Services kept apologizing for the inconvenience to me and hassle. I told her the truth that was fine I was enjoying being at DL and glad I understood now what happened. She asked me if she could make it up to me somehow. We had talked during all this while she was waiting for VH to answer, about the Candlelight Processional. Her coworker (who I met) sang in it! They have no (as I thought) info on that for this year in general least alone whether it will be expanded. she explained in 2012 when it was for 20 nights that was part of a promotion. I asked if there were anyway, I figured it was worth asking!, I could be put on some sort of even waiting list for a seat this year. She said she wished she could but as we know invited are Disney family, other VIP's. Club 33 etc. There are limited public seating. I know how blessed I was last year to get a seat! I thanked her and also let her know the CP meant a lot to me, awesome getting to view and just so wonderful that Jesus is honored at DL. He is the reason for the season. :)

She asked if I wanted a FP for anything. I said thank you but FL and Small World is my speed of rides. She then took the time to ask what my favorite ride was and I said Dumbo. :) She filled out a card that I brought to the exit line at Dumbo and I only had to wait 2 cycles of the ride to get on, that was awesome and so nice of her to do. She had also given me a "Honorary Citizen" button to wear (and keep) for the day. I had never heard of those or seen them, that was a cool souvenir.

In other news, I WALKED onto Small World, there was no line at all! I also did ride Pinocchio. As I was enjoy some ice cream at a table outside of Coke Corner, Mary Poppins and Bert walked by, I had never seen them at DL before The only other characters I saw yesterday was Captain Hook (I think by the boats while I was waiting in line) and later Alice and the Mad Hatter.

I definitely had a fun time and enjoyed being back at DL so much. I will try to go again before Spring Break or definitely in April afterwards and on my birthday in May.

If any of you are also local and enjoy spending a few hours like I did at DL and ever want to meet up, please do PM me. I truly would love to meet a fellow Dis-er if even for a quick Small World sail.

I know, I almost forgot! Cotton Candy. Sadly it is not available in the fresh spun carts. In Dec, the colors were all white or mixed pink and grayish purple, they did not look appetizing but I did try one anyway and was disappointed. It did not taste sweet to me at all. Yesterday there were 3 colors: pale green, light blue, and pink. All of them looked fresher and fluffier than in Dec so I tried a pink and while still not quite the same as fresh made in front of me, it was much more enjoyable and I got to share most all of it (I only wanted a little) with a family. It was and looked almost brand new and I was not wanting to dump it. I know it was opened already but thought I would try asking a few people and they were grateful and that made me happy to know it wouldn't go to waste.

Next time I will check out the new Alice and Wonderland, sounds like some changes have made since I went on it in early December. I also promised some friends who are big fans of the Indiana Jones ride to check out the line for that ride, they have shared it is fun to walk through it. I can just tell the CM I don't want to ride. (I have no interest in coaster and am not now able to go on them anyway, too herky jerky).

Hug and Disneyland Fun to all!

Last edited:
Sounds like fun, even as a solo visitor! I hope the lines stay short another week (lol, I know that is a futile wish) and so glad you were able to get the gift card fixed without much hassle.

So glad that you had a good time! And you are so lucky to live so close to DL. I joke with my DD that one day when she is too busy to come with me, I will be doing a solo trip to DL too!

So glad that you had a good time! And you are so lucky to live so close to DL. I joke with my DD that one day when she is too busy to come with me, I will be doing a solo trip to DL too!

Honestly, what stops you? Visiting by yourself or with family for example, either way is great.

I am doing my first solo trip March 23-26th! Happy to read this, and I hope I have an enjoyable time, too. I have only been twice before, in 2008, but I did so much planning and research that I became kind of an expert. Then we had too many money and health issues (DD17 had cancer; she's fine now) in the last several years to think about it. When I told my DH I'd always wondered how it would be to go by myself, he said, "Go. You deserve it." So, I'm using air miles to fly down from Seattle, stay at Desert Inn (wow, bed, room and bathroom to myself!) and parkhop for 3 days. Ride what I want, when I want, eat, rest, sleep, swim whenever I want. I don't need to make sure the 3 DDs are happy, fed, rested, and riding only what they want! :) I'm excited! I think I will miss my family, but I think I'll also enjoy some time away.

Thank you everyone! I do know how cool it is that I live so close to DL. Due to freeway construction it took longer going (a little more than hour) than coming home (less than 1 hour) Not bad at all.

Disney127, I completely agree with Gisele, go for it! If you were to stay multiple days and wanted company you could always post a meet on here.

Avalon451, I am so happy your DD is now cancer free. Congrats to her and hug for you! Lol, enjoy some peace and quiet! Have a great trip! :)

Wow, an hour wait for the Storybook boats on a Wednesday morning? I'm really surprised at that.

Glad you had a nice day in the parks :-)

Disney127, I completely agree with Gisele, go for it! If you were to stay multiple days and wanted company you could always post a meet on here.

One day, I will do a solo visit but for now, I really enjoy my annual trip with my DD (13) plus she would never dream of letting me go without her! :) She is my Disney buddy :cutie: and we have a pact to visit Disney together for as long as we are able. Plus, living over 1600 miles away, expensive flights and taking time off work makes it abit more complicated! :-)

Thank you, Lisa. :) I actually went on Tuesday which made (to me) the wait more surprising. Although I have always thought Tuesday and Wednesday would be the least crowded that ride was packed! I am not sure how many boats there were and to be honest I did not keep track when the boat that left came back (being sure same boat) but it didn't seem like there were that many. I also don't think my boat ran into any others on our tour, so maybe the ride is set up so the view is truly more of the scenes and not other boats. That would be cool if it was :)

Disney127, that is really sweet. May you and your daughter have many fantastic Disney trips together :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter