Solo dining on DDP

tigger&tigerlover

Mouseketeer
I need opinions.

I finally decided that I'm tired of putting off a trip to Disney. I'm going solo, and I've decided to make this a treat for myself, so I'm getting the single TS Dining Plan. I know I probably won't break even on it but having the plan will give me the excuse to try different things on the menu. (Yes, I know I could do that anyway, but for this trip I just don't want to think about it).

I also have no problems going to dinner by myself. A past history of business trips will knock that out of you fast.

What I'm looking for is commentary and/or opinions on places to avoid as a solo diner. Whether that's because of service, location, ambiance, or whatever.

Thanks!

I need opinions.

I finally decided that I'm tired of putting off a trip to Disney. I'm going solo, and I've decided to make this a treat for myself, so I'm getting the single TS Dining Plan. I know I probably won't break even on it but having the plan will give me the excuse to try different things on the menu. (Yes, I know I could do that anyway, but for this trip I just don't want to think about it).

I also have no problems going to dinner by myself. A past history of business trips will knock that out of you fast.

What I'm looking for is commentary and/or opinions on places to avoid as a solo diner. Whether that's because of service, location, ambiance, or whatever.

Thanks!

I am doing the same thing! Seeing WDW dressed up for the holidays is one of my "bucket list" things. So, I decided that this is my year to do it! I am debating doing the dining plan and will have to decide soon. Monday is my ADR day and I still have not narrowed down all my choices :confused3
I have done Chefs de France (lunch) got a nice table by the window, and Rose and Crown (dinner, on the patio and watched IllumiNations) solo. This time I am trying Via Napoli and Artist Point (or Cali Grill, if it is open).

I hope we both have a great time! :woohoo:

I always go to WDW solo and I always get the dining plan. I started out getting the regular dining plan, but now exclusively get the DxDP. There are no restaurants you need to avoid. Since you're used to eating solo in restaurants, you know to bring a book(which is what I do) and enjoy yourself. If you don't have a book, you can always bring your smartphone and play games or check messages, etc.

If you are doing the regular dining plan, you should be aware that it is harder to get your monies worth at the signature restaurants(2 TS). At those, you would need to eat about $70 worth of food(non-alcoholic beverage, entree & dessert) to break even. The DxDP breaks down to $30 per TS and $4 per snack(you get 2). With your TS, you get a non-alcoholic beverage, appetizer, entree, and dessert at lunch and dinner. When I do the DxDP, I do a character breakfast and signature restaurant for dinner. Yes, there are CM's to take your picture with the characters.

I love getting the dining plan because everything is already paid for when I arrive and all I have to do is eat. If you haven't already, go to Allears.net and look at the menus for the restaurants where you want to eat. Make sure and make your ADR's 180 days out for your TS restaurants if you're staying on property. If you call 407-WDW-DINE, they will tell you the exact date you can make them. Enjoy your trip!

Some of it depends on how social and outgoing you are. If you want to avoid sitting with strangers, Teppan Edo and Biergarten should not be on the list. Sci-Fi may be questionable too, since you'll likely be sat in a car with others. However, at Sci-Fi, you will have your own row to yourself and they all face forward, and it's dark, so it is far less of an issue than the other two.

Beyond that, I've had good experiences all over the place and never felt awkward by any of the service when dining solo (I have 3 solo trips under my belt, all with DxDDP, so I've been a few places :)).

Some of my favorites (for either service or ambiance (or both!)): Jiko (Chef's Counter), Yachtsman, Kona Cafe, San Angel Inn and Hacienda de San Angel (though, with changes in their menu, there isn't really any entrees there I like now :().

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter