Solo Deluxe Dining, Apr 30 - May 7, w/pics!

marsh0013

i want to drive the zamboni
so here it comes. yes, i went down to wdw all by myself. and yes, i did the deluxe plan all by myself. and yes! it was way too much food! and was it worth it? absolutely yes!

it was a splurge, mostly just to not have to worry, and to eat at a bunch of places (signatures) that i never would have gotten the chance to otherwise. it ended up working out very nicely for me, even though i really managed just bites of what you will see in pictures. especially at buffets! i took a bunch of different things, and had mainly a bite of each. i felt it was totally worth it.

so where did i eat? let's see...

B kona --- page 1, post 2 (updated 5.9.08)
D brown derby --- page 2, post 18 (updated 5.10.08)
B cape may --- page 3, post 40 (updated 5.11.08)
L akershus --- page 4, post 60 (updated 5.12.08)
D narcoosee's --- page 6, post 85 (updated 5.15.08)
B crystal palace --- page 8, post 108 (updated 5.19.08)
D plaza --- page 9, post 123 (updated 5.22.08)
B tusker house --- page 9, post 134 (updated 5.25.08)
L yak & yeti --- page 10, post 139 (updated 5.25.08)
D wcc --- page 10, post 148 (updated 5.26.08)
L 50s ptc --- page 11, post 165 (updated 5.29.08)
D flying fish --- page 12, post 173 (updated 5.31.08)
L tutto italia --- page 13, post 186 (updated 6.1.08)
D tokyo dining --- page 13, post 191 (updated 6.2.08)
L crt --- page 15, post 211 (updated 6.5.08)
D biergarten --- page 16, post 231 (updated 6.8.08)
L crystal palace --- page 17, post 242 (updated 6.9.08)
SNACKS --- page 18, post 262 (updated 6.22.08)

so let's get the food parade started!

Kona Cafe, breakfast, Wed 04.30.08

I know this isn't a trip report, but a dining report, but i have to give you some background. I really really wanted to eat b'fast at Kona, and the only time I could fit it in was on my arrival day. My plane was landing at 9:15am or so. And the latest ADR was 11am. Yikes! Cutting it close much? Well, let me just tell you, DME was my hero! And so was the Pop check-in crew! I was in a cab from Pop to the Poly at 10:45am. Eighteen bucks and just about 15 minutes later...I made it!

So yes, I ran up those stairs, checked in, and was seated right away. Perfect! Ask the waitress, "Does the press pot of Kona coffee count as a drink?" Of course it does. Oh yes, bring it on. I love me some good coffee, and I surely didn't expect to find any for the rest of the week. I don't have a pic of just the press pot (I know, I know, bad Marcia!), but it is in the shot with the food.

For my meal, I was wrestling back and forth between the Tonga Toast and the Pineapple Mac Nut Pancakes. It was a tough one, but I went with the pancakes...which I managed to eat 1 out of the 3 of :laughing: . Got it with the ham, oh and also got some of that delish juice.

dis2008-05006.jpg

As you can see, I forgot to take the pic till I had already eaten half the pancake. Oops! Sorry guys! And sorry that it actually became a bit of a trend until I got used to taking pictures of my food :upsidedow

My waitress, I don't remember her name and I didn't write it down, well, she was wonderful. I had a great breakfast, and it was a perfect way to start off my trip.

Oh, and I didn't do the whole "keep the receipts and total it up to make sure I got my moneys worth" thing. So I have no idea how this one added up. But guess what...I don't care either! :rotfl:

more to come...stay tuned!

I am so on board for this food trippie! :surfweb:

I am with you on getting the Deluxe Dining Plan...my DH & I are getting it next time we go (in May '09) for the family--it is so we don't have to worry about any of the meals & try some of the signature dining experiences.

I can't wait to hear about your dining adventures :)

Yum! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your dining adventures!! :cool1:

Looking forward to reading about Brown Derby... I'm still undecided about it, for our next trip! :confused3

Alright, I love solo reports! I'll be doing one myself after my September trip, although mine will be mostly CS :)

Thanks for the review! Looking forward to more! :)

(I shouldn't really be looking at food pics; I'm fasting for a blood test later this morning) :rotfl2:

Great review so far! I wondered about that pot of pressed coffee too. Glad it counts for dh!

Can't wait to hear more!

Yummy! Am looking forward to more of your report :goodvibes

Great start! I never stray from the Tonga Toast, but it's good to see there are actually tasty looking breakfasts other than that! ;)

thanks to everyone for all of your responses! i wish i could take the time to individually reply to all of you, but for now, it's gonna have to be a group response.

i'm sitting here waiting for AAA (flat tire! yikes!), so i'm going to start my next review!

Hollywood Brown Derby, dinner, Wed 04.30.08

I guess here I should add in that this was a birthday celebration trip for me. Okay, so my birthday is not until June, but who in their right mind goes in hot and humid June, when they have the option to go in pleasant May? Not I! So, I had noted on a few of my ADRs that I was celebrating.

When I arrived and checked in at the Brown Derby, the wonderful check in guy noticed that I didn't have a birthday pin, so he took one and wrote my name on it, and told me to wear it! So how could I turn that down? (side note - i hope no one gets mad at me for doing this, i really was celebrating my birthday, and it's not like i'm going to do it on every trip...just this one!).

Anyway, back to the story. So my ressie was for 4:40pm, Fantasmic! package, so of course, earlier than I would have liked. But it actually ended up being a perfect time, since the last I'd eaten was b'fast at 11.

Now, I've been to HBD before, but only went in to order the Cobb Salad (yum!!) and the Grapefruit Cake (eh, ok), and of course, a coctail ;) . But this time, since I had the plan, I knew I'd be doing the whole shebang.

My waiter was Mehdi (see, says so on my ticket...)
dis2008-05017a.jpg

He was pretty good, not great, but sufficient.

I had to start off with a drink. Last time I was here, I ordered the Hollywood, and I remembered liking it, so I got it again.

dis2008-05018.jpg

Nice and tangy, while managing a little sweetness as well. Can't remember exactly what was in it, but it was probably some sort of vodka or rum or mixture. Those are my alcohols of choice, usually.

Along with my drink, came out the bread basket and butter.
dis2008-05019.jpg

If I remember correctly, I had a bite just to try it. Had to save room for the good stuff to come! When Mehdi brought these out, he took my order. For my appetizer, I ordered some sort of Crab Ravioli, in some sort of broth. Sorry I didn't write it down! Especially cause its not on the menu at AllEars.

dis2008-05020.jpg

Absolutely delicious! The noodle was very delicate, and the filling was all crab, really. In a very nice broth that complimented the ravioli very well. I was definitely pleased with this choice.

I'm a big fan of seared tuna, so of course for my entree, I chose the "Hijiki Crusted Ahi Tuna seared "rare" with sesame long beans, pickled diakon, soy and wasabi sauces". That's allears description.

dis2008-05021.jpg

It was pretty good. The crust on it gave it a nice spicy taste, but not overly spicy, as I would not have enjoyed that. Just a little kick. I also enjoyed the vegetables that came with it. Not the best I've had, but I was pleased.

Of course, there was still dessert to come! I poured over that menu, as this was my first dessert on the Dining Plan, I wanted to make it a good one! As I'd already tried the Grapefruit Cake, and it wasn't thrilling to me, I decided to go with something different. I got the "Banana White Chocolate Toffee Tower on cocoa almond cookie and bananas "foster"".

dis2008-05022.jpg

Sorry a couple bites are missing! Told you it would be a trend :upsidedow . This was SOOOO GOOD!!! I couldn't finish it, I'm sad to say. It had that whipped cream on top, tasted homemade, yum. Then the layer of white chocolate mousse type stuff, with the bananas on top, and some sort of cookie on the bottom. Oh man, it was wonderful.

I'm pretty sure I also got coffee here, as that is supposed to be included on the Deluxe Plan (I say supposed, as some places told me I was wrong...). No picture, but it's Disney yuck coffee anyway, so who needs to see it, right?

Overall, it was a really great dinner, and I will definitely be back. I did miss the Cobb Salad though, since there was no one to share it with. Oh well, maybe next time!

next up: Cape May Breakfast

Glad you have started the reports marcia. Been looking forward to hearing about this trip since you made mention of it on the solo board.

I'm so glad to read another solo deluxe review so soon. A lot of people think I'm crazy, or obsessed with food, to go on a solo trip with the deluxe plan, but obviously I'm not the only one who does it! :goodvibes I'm looking foward to reading the rest of your reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter