Sold Out in December????

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by pbm504, Jun 7, 2008.

1. pbm504

pbm504 Earning My Ears

I just called to book room at Wilderness Lodge from 12/9-12/14 and was told the cheapest available was Club level standard room at $385/night. There are no "normal" standard view rooms that usually go for $225/night at that time of year. I then asked for any rooms at French Quarter and was old it AND Riverside are COMPLETELY booked for that time. I had to grab a room at Carribean Beach.
    How can this be? Isn't that supposed to be the slowest time of year? Is it possible they are just holding rooms back for now?

Paul

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Minnie&Nana

Minnie&Nana Dreams do come true!

It's not the slowest time anymore :worried: The word got out and lots of guests head to Disney now..also MouseFest is going on the 11 thru the 15th this yr and POP Warner is the first week of December.

Keep checking - did you try AAA? WL is the hardest to snag now for any time in December. Some Travel Agencies (www.mousefantravel.com - not sure about others) offer a room discount around MF - we used that last yr about the same time. WL always sells out first.

Good luck!!

4. slimplaw

slimplaw DIS Veteran

I booked Dec. 3-8 at POFQ last Sunday and WL was not available for those dates either. As far as the moderates during your dates, I'm not sure if they have held rooms back for Pop Warner starts Dec. 8 and I believe they use some of the moderate hotels.

5. GailT

GailT <font color=blue>I'm ba-ack!!!!<br><font color=mag

I booked for Dec 22-26 and I booked it 2 months ago, I did do concierege though :santa:

6. pdchris

pdchris DIS Veteran

I had almost the same experience at WL. I tried 12/6-13th but could only get club level. I dropped one day and tried for 12/6-12 and was able to Woods View.
    That was about 10 days ago.
    Yes, that time is seemingly very popular now as I, too, had heard it was one of the slowest times. <sigh>

7. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

I went online to disney's website and found that 12/8-12/14 there are courtyard bunk bed rooms available. I'm not sure how much cheaper those are than club level, but if you decided to go with that room category, you could book 12/8-12/14 and then cancel the night of the 8th :confused3. Or...not sure about your flexibility in dates, but if you could arrive a week later, every room category is available 12/13-12/19....from standard through CL ::yes::. The WL is the first resort to book during Christmas as the lodge is absolutely beautifully decorated for the holidays :santa:. It's the best decorated resort at Christmast time, IMO :goodvibes. Good luck and I hope you are able to get the WL because it's an awesome resort :cutie:.

8. raven69david

raven69david I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

Our family always goes 2nd week of December as this is the last week of Value season. Due to the situation you are referencing in your post, we reserve our standard view room about 1 year in advance. This guarnatees us a standard room as these are usually the first to go. When codes get released, we simply apply them to our ressie and everything goes perfect.:goodvibes

We love the lower crowds during the 2nd week of December and we get to do almost everything, until LAST YEAR!:mad: It was insane. You would have thought they were offering free dining and free tickets to anyone staying in the Orlando area. Gosh it was packed last year and being that I really hate crowds (which is why we NEVER go when school is out) it was tough dealing with the whord of people leaving MVMCP on a Tuesday night when I thought it'd be slower. It was a Value night so this year I may do a non-value night to see if the crowds are lighter due to the higher ticket price. I'd pay double if I could get the crowd level i'm used to experiencing during 2nd week of December. :santa:

About 2 weeks ago there were still standard rooms at AKL which is basically the same as the WL with the different themeing of course.;)

9. RMulieri

RMulieri DIS Veteran

Plus, I havefound that WL tends to be a little more popular that time of year, because of the holidays coming up and the resorts ambience.

10. arielfan

arielfan Mouseketeer

POPWARNER WILL BE THERE DEC.7-14 THIS YEAR THAT IS WHY IT IS SOLD OUT.:rolleyes1

11. kat3668

kat3668 Mouseketeer<br><font color=green>Driving me nuts i

12. disneyfan2

disneyfan2 <font color=red>Dreaming about a Mouse<br><font co

i tried to book the 2nd week of Dec too at the values and there was no availablility. So, we moved it to the first week instead. There was plenty of choices that fit in that week instead. Plus no Pop Warner or other groups that are suppose to be there 2nd week. This was about 1 month ago.

13. disney-super-mom

disney-super-mom <font color=magenta>I make a mean pot of Jazz Kitc

I just checked on Expedia, and all the resorts have availablility except:

WL
    CR
    POR

Well, and the villas are booked at VWL and BCV, but I didn't think you wanted to know about the villas.

Anyway, there seems to be plenty of rooms available at WDW hotels and the surrounding area hotels for the second week of December.:thumbsup2

14. livie1205

livie1205 DIS Veteran

It could also be because of those 40% off codes that came out at the first of the year...the last set of dates were for dec. I called when I got mine and got AKL club level for 201.00 a night so with deals like that they are pretty booked up.I know some of the standard rms went for around 129.00 and that was for AKL AND WL .

15. pbm504

pbm504 Earning My Ears

I called back and tried moving the dates around a little but couldn't make it work. They suggested I try calling once a week. Port Orleans being sold out is what REALLY shocks me.
    Paul

16. **eeyore**

**eeyore** Mouseketeer

I've also found that in the last few years, the resorts are very busy in early December. I still think it is a slowER time of year for the theme parks - pretty much everyone going to the theme parks is staying on-site. I think there are very few people staying off-site that time of year - everyone wants to be immersed in the holiday decorations!

17. pdchris

pdchris DIS Veteran

I kind of doubt that. From all the posts I've read regarding PW, most of those people stay in the Value Resorts.
    I think an earlier poster was right. WL is the resort of choice for many people during the Christmas period.
    Another reason is all of us who decided to try it for the first time! :)
    We normally stay in moderates but this time I really, really wanted to try WL.

18. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Although most of Pop Warner stays at the value resorts, there are some that have been staying at POR and/or POFQ the last year or two....so that may be why those are booked :confused3. Our neighbor has gone for Pop Warner the last 2 years and the first year they stayed at one of the value resorts, but last year they were at POFQ. But as far as that being the reason for WL being booked, I doubt that because I wouldn't think Pop Warner would be staying at a deluxe resort :confused:. I think the WL is booked because it's an awesome resort (especially at Christmas :santa:) and it's also value season through 12/18. Plus alot of people may be trying to get their trip in early to avoid the rush right before Christmas and Christmas week ::yes::. I'd keep calling because you never know when something might become available :).

19. chickenskin

chickenskin Mouseketeer

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are now two seasons at Disney, crowded and more crowded.

20. KSBelle

KSBelle DIS Veteran

When I saw this thread I put in my dates of Nov 30-Dec 7 and couldn't get into WL either. I hadn't even thought of looking at it as I was waiting for AP rates to come out in Aug. and then booking it.
    Do they hold any back for AP or are they truly all gone????

21. mommyof2princesses

mommyof2princesses Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

We just changed our ressies. We were staying at AKL dec7-13. I got a better deal for a different time. So, there may be a room at AKL.

aFter reading about all the rooms being booked I am really glad we changed!