Sock Aid

willowsnn3

DIS Veteran
I have never posted on the disabilities board before, but have a problem that hopefully someone here can advise me on.
Hip problems make it difficult for me to put a sock on my right foot. No problem with the left.
I am in need of a 'sock aid'. One of those things that help you put on socks.
There are so many online and I have tried reading the reviews but am still confused, lol.
If any of you can recommend a good sock aid & where to buy it, I would greatly appreciate it.
TIA!
(just waiting for flip flop weather)

I had to double check who wrote this. I'd swear it was me.

I need the exact same thing. so i hope you get some answers so I can borrow them.

I used a Carex Sock Aid for a couple months recently. Amazon has them listed http://www.amazon.com/Carex-Health-...=UTF8&qid=1394400415&sr=1-2&keywords=sock+aid. This was given to me at a rehab hospital, and it worked quite well. What I particularly liked about it was it was very flexible so it made fitting socks of different sizes/weights over it very easy. A few people at the hospital were given one like a plastic half-cylinder (similar to the one mentioned above). For me it was more difficult to pull the sock over that one but I do have small feet and socks. The Carex would work well for any size imo.

Good luck

I second the Carex type sock aid. In the Rehab Hospital they had us use the plastic tube type & my ankle socks would routinely pop off. I bought a hip kit online before I was even released so I'd have what I needed once home. The kit came with the Carex kind. Much easier to use as it's flexible. Plus it's good for travel since it lies flat.

This is so funny, I had no idea!!! I just gave up wearing socks if nobody was home to help me put them on! I am going to order the one from Amazon later! I wish I had checked this out before winter this year. I was the strange lady wearing a slip on shoe without socks in a foot of snow!

Another suggestion, check out EZ Sox -- most of their socks are for kids, but they do have adult socks plus EZ-Stix to help pull them up/down. My DD loves the kids socks, and I got some for my mother - she also likes them. But she doesn't use the sticks, just the "pullers" on the socks themselves.

Another website I've used for helpful "tools" is wrightstuff.biz, looks like they have sock aids as well, just type "sock" into the search.

Good luck!

I have the Carex but I have a very wide foot and it is just too hard to get my foot started in it. I also only need it for my right foot

Thanks for the feedback!
I ordered the Carex from Amazon yesterday. Will let y'all know if it works well.

Yeah the Carex is by far the best sock aid. Those plastic tub things always catch on your skin and don't slide well. When I was first introduced to them my OT advised I sprinkle talcum powder all over the inside. Just what I didn't need: a sock full of powder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter