Soarin' from Scotland to Mickey - our June 09 adventure! *updated 12/20 - the end!

Breaking that news to 2 hot and tired girls and 1 very hot and tired Granny was not the best! Still we were technically at Disney so still smiling (just) so off we went back to the boat dock!!!!! Entertained ourselves by looking at the huge RVs that were parked. They are bigger than some of the lorries we have here. Still, no matter how big and luxurious they were there was not a chance Granny was going to reconsider after the “snake incident”!!!!:rotfl:
Back on the boat to the Wilderness Lodge and we realised that although we had time we were all too hot and bothered to do the bike right now and really needed a sit down in the air con with a cool drink. So we checked in to Whispering Canyon Café early and found a free rocking chair to chill out. E entertained herself by searching for some hidden mickeys and found the one carved in the rock over the fireplace and one in the carpet.

DSCF0599.jpg

DSCF0581.jpg

In no time at all we were called for our lunch and taken to our table. Our “Mom” was lovely and full of life but Ks reaction was hilarious. She just looked at her with her little mouth open (again) as if she could hardly believe the woman! It was very funny! She kept a beady eye on her as if she was not sure what she was going to do next. We ordered our food and it was soooooooo yummy! I had the pulled pork sandwich which was delicious but huge!!!! The atmosphere in there was really good fun and E loved it when it was someone’s birthday and everyone sang. She also joined in the hobby horse riding through the restaurant.

DSCF0606.jpg

When we were all singing “if you are happy and you know it” K was looking at us as if we had lost our minds. We laughed so much at her little face staring at us not quite being able to figure out why her Mum and Gran were singing in a restaurant. She could hardly eat her lunch! Would highly recommend the Whispering Canyon Café for lunch. The food was amazing – large portion (aren’t they all) but too delicious! :)
All fed, watered and cooled down we headed back out to the bike barn. Bit back the need to ask the woman there why she had not told me earlier that I couldn’t rent a surrey at Fort Wilderness but didn’t. Organised our bike! It was a cracker! :yay: K and E sat in the seats at the front and Granny and I pedalled. Don’t ask me why but I didn’t think they would be as tough to pedal as they were. Those things (plus 4 people!) are heavy! :rolleyes: Our legs started to ache almost straight away. We followed the little map on the bike to the start of the bike trail which took us all the way back to…………. Fort Wilderness. :rolleyes1 Yup we did circle after circle that day! Once we were on the bike trail and no longer had to negotiate our way round other guests we could relax and enjoy. The woman told us to be quiet and we might see some deer so that’s what we did. Unfortunately K took this literally and any time someone made a small noise they got a big shhhhhhhh! We did see some deer – there were about 3 large ones who stayed for a minute and then ran off. At the end of the trail we did a wee turn and headed back. The deer were nowhere to be seen on the way back and the temptation not to be quiet was too much for my girls! It was not helped by the fact that on the bike was a huge and tempting bell with a rope to ring it. Kids are not going to be able to ignore that are they? Well mine couldn’t!!! :rotfl: And so it began. We came into view of Wilderness Lodge with the bell ringing and K shouting “watch out the bells ringing” (oh really we hadn’t noticed??!!) and waving to anyone looking in her direction. She was having a ball but I did have a thought for someone who may be trying to have an afternoon nap so banned them from ringing it as we passed the rooms. Parked our bike back after 30 mins (more than long enough for my little legs!) and went back to our car. Some pics of our bike.

K shushing her sister!

DSCF0611.jpg

E ringing the bell.

DSCF0622.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0632.jpg

We set off for Downtown Disney which is where we had planned to meet up with DH and Grandad about 3 ish. We turned on our 2way radios when we got close and they were already there. They had an amazing time fishing and caught some great fish. If anyone has a DH who likes to fish then I would highly recommend this company. Very affordable and DH said the fish just kept on biting with a huge variety being caught.

I love Downtown Disney. Its like a little taste of Disney mixed with my favourite pastime – shopping!!! We found them and the girls went straight for the Carousel – a good few rides later we were done.

As everyone else headed to Ghirhardellis (or however you spell it!!) I went to validate my annual pass at Guest Relations. Ice cream apparently was delicious (I am not an ice cream fan!) and not a lot was left at the bottom of the bowls! A quick look round World of Disney and we set off for home.

Girls were getting really tired by this time and we got home, had something to eat and settled them down to sleep. Actually we were all tired so we got organised, packed our park bags and went to bed. Tomorrow……………. The Happiest and Bestest Place in the World!!!!! :wizard:

I'm so glad you were able to get the surry, it is quite a workout but fun to ride. I am loving the stories of K at the Cafe! She sound like a riot! She must have thought you guys had lost it with your singing! :rotfl:

so glad you guys finally found the correct bike barn:lmao:
we also enjoyed Whispering Canyon last summer!!
glad the fishing trip went well:goodvibes

Can't wait to hear more :thumbsup2 For some reason I always enjoy reading fellow Scots TR's just that little bit more than anyone else's, lol.

I'm here :yay:

Sounds like you have a lovely first day...well other then the bike mix up. Looking forward to more!

I'm glad you got to ride your bike! For some reason, that was not what I was envisioning.

WCC always seems like so much fun! I need to try that out someday!

I'm so glad you were able to get the surry, it is quite a workout but fun to ride. I am loving the stories of K at the Cafe! She sound like a riot! She must have thought you guys had lost it with your singing! :rotfl:

It was a serious workout!!!! Not sure Granny was pedalling all the time but she swears she was!

so glad you guys finally found the correct bike barn:lmao:
we also enjoyed Whispering Canyon last summer!!
glad the fishing trip went well:goodvibes

Eventually!!! Whispering Canyon Cafe was really somewhere I would be keen to go back to. the food and atmosphere was great.

:lmao: K shushing her sister!

She could be accused of being a bit bossy!!!! No idea where she might have got that from!!! ;)

Can't wait to hear more :thumbsup2 For some reason I always enjoy reading fellow Scots TR's just that little bit more than anyone else's, lol.

LOL!

I'm here :yay:

Sounds like you have a lovely first day...well other then the bike mix up. Looking forward to more!

It was a great first day and so different to the park day we usually do on our first day in Florida. A nice change and so much more relaxing!

I'm glad you got to ride your bike! For some reason, that was not what I was envisioning.

WCC always seems like so much fun! I need to try that out someday!

They were huge! But really fun - if you get the chance you should try it out!

looking forward to reading more

Glad you are onbaord!

For our first full day in the parks we were up and organised super early. So excited to get to the Magic Kingdom. Its by far my fave park – I could live there!!!!!! :yay: All are showered, fed, bags packed and out the door in plenty of time.

I love this view!!!

100_1188.jpg

We parked very close to the TTC and walked to the monorail much to the disappointment of the girls who think the tram is an actual ride. :rolleyes:Took pics by the monorail and DH pointed out when we got home this the one we rode was the one which was involved in the tragic accident on the 4th of July. Very sad. :sad2:

P1030562.jpg

When we got to the Magic Kingdom there were not a lot of people waiting for the welcome show to start. We got a space right in the middle of the Mickey Floral display and the girls sat on the wall and waited. Both were very excited about their day and eventually the show started. E sat next to her sister and showed K things in case she missed them. They were very sweet together and K waved till I thought her arms were going to fall off.

DSCF0696.jpg

A family shot!

DSCF0703.jpg

Grandad, E, K and Granny.

DSCF0707.jpg

Watching the welcome show! Love the faces!
DSCF0753.jpg

E collected some of the streamers that fell next to them and insisted I keep them! E set off under the station and E collected us a map and the Times Guide – her job every park day!

DSCF0778.jpg

We came out into Town Square and it all comes back. K goes on DHs shoulders to see more as all she sees are legs.

DSCF0779.jpg

I love that first time you enter the magic kingdom! It is so exciting you can’t help but smile! Its worth the airfare alone! I love to see the looks and excitement on the faces on my girls too. Its part of why I go!

K so excited to set eyes on the castle! Here is K pointing it out to the rest of us!

DSCF0780.jpg

We always turn right at the Hub and today is no exception.

DSCF0796.jpg

We go straight to Buzz Lightyear. Now last year I lucked out and scored 999,999. From then I have been accused of knowing some secret or magic target to hit and not sharing this info. I don’t. I hit the same target and few times and got very lucky. This time – not so lucky! DH won. K was sat next to me and she was a bit over awed by it. She was Ok on it though. E loved it as usual.
From there we headed towards the Tomorrowland Speedway. Everyone was excited about this – even K! Good fun!!!!

DSCF0811.jpg

P1030603.jpg

Then towards Fantasyland and K was in heaven! We did the Carousel and It’s a Small World and she absolutely loved it. Quote of the day though was from Granny during It’s a Small World as we passed the dolls which are linked to Australia. She said as we passed these guys…….

DSCF0869.jpg

“Look at those funny monkeys”!!! This from a lady with a degree in Biology. Mum further demonstrates her knowledge of the animal world during our day at Animal Kingdom. You’ll have to wait to hear what gem she comes out with then!!!!

Fantasyland is K's favourite part of the park and she is in heaven. The Carousel proved to be as popular with K this year as it was last year. I can't even begin to try to accurately write how many times we rode this ride during this trip. All I know is that we never rode it once. The pleas of "again again" were always heard as soon as the ride stopped. Here are my girls enjoying the carousel.

DSCF0836.jpg

DSCF0841.jpg

Afterwards E wants to go into the Haunted Mansion so K stays with Granny and Grandad while we ride. I point out the body in the stretch room to DH but not to E. That might have pushed her over the edge. We laughed as we went through the graveyard as every time something popped up she jumped out of her skin. Although I had a bit of a jump myself at one point!! She did laugh when the ghost was almost sitting on her knee in the final scene.

We wanted to have lunch at the Columbia Harbour House again – we love that place! Delish! But their fryers were not working and they had no fried food. So we gave it a miss and carried on to find somewhere else. About now it had started to sprinkle with rain but not too heavy. We made our way towards Caseys Corner as we had a lovely hotdog there last time we came. As we got near it was still raining a bit and the shelter was full of people. We saw that the tables outside were empty apart from one where a family had sat down in the rain. As it wasn’t heavy we got a table and did the same. In no time it totally stopped and we were glad we were able to get a table as it was very busy. Lunch was lovely. I shared mine with K as they are huge! Sadly the Dream Along with Mickey was cancelled due to the rain but they announced that the characters would do a meet and greet instead. I took the girls over to see the characters as K was very excited to see some princesses. We did not join the lines to meet them but I took them up to see the characters and they loved it. K was awestruck. E was excited to see Minnie and Mickey. Then followed lots of promises to meet the characters before the end of the holiday.

During this morning when we were in IASM DH went to Thunder Mountain for fast passes so we headed there to ride. The great thing about the fastpasses is that as there are 6 of us we can get 6 but K does not like to ride so as we have to ride in 2 groups, E can ride twice. She likes that!!!
I love Thunder Mountain. Its my fave ride of all. Granny, E and I rode together and when we got to the loading zone the CM asked us if we want one row or two. Mum was surprised that we were asked as we presumed two and said to him “would the 3 of us fit in one row?” and he smiled and said “sorry mam. I learned long ago not to answer that question when a woman asks it!” lol He was funny – we took 2 rows!!!!!:rotfl:
Here we are enjoying the ride!

RinkyTink

After we had finished we indulged in a real dis treat!!!!....................

DSCF0898.jpg

DSCF0900.jpg

That’s right – a dole whip!!! The float is my favourite – the pineapple juice is so nice! This was a massive hit and something to be repeated a few times throughout the trip!
As we got towards the castle the Dream Along with Mickey show was on so we stopped to watch. We all loved it and E thought that Donald was very funny. K did not like Maleficent and it set the scene for her not liking her for the rest of the trip. She still says she does not like Maleficent!

Love this pic of the show with the dancers in mid leap!

DSCF0929.jpg

As we made our way down Main Street E saw her favourite character, Daisy and couldn’t resist lining up to get her picture taken. She also spotted Chip and Dale and went for a cuddle with them aswell! I love Chip and Dale!

DSCF0953.jpg

DSCF0950.jpg

So we have had enough for the day by now. Its hot, humid and the girls are starting to get really tired. A nice monorail journey back and a quick walk to the car and we are on our way. Back at the villa we get our swimming stuff on and get in the pool for a cool down. I took loads of pics and these are my favourites!

DSCF0978.jpg

P1030670.jpg

After a swim we all got dressed and headed out to the Outback for dinner. This started the theme of problems at dinner. K ordered the mac and cheese and it came in a bowl on a plate of fries. It was enough to feed DH and I together I think. She took one look at it and refused to even go near it. I think it was just too big and intimidating for her. She ate a few fries but that was about it. Our food was delicious but again it was huge amounts which we could not finish. E orders the spotty dog sundae which was again massive (although E was not complaining!!!) and K had icecream with Oreos. Sadly the oreos were crumbled on the ice cream and K had a hissy fit! It was a nightmare. Our server was so nice and he just said to her not to worry and he came back with a plain blob of ice cream. He was so nice and I felt so bad for her complaining about something she asked for. I was just planning to scrape it off! So K slowly makes her way through a bowl of ice cream which is about 4 times the size of one I would have given her. As she didn’t actually eat much I was not keen on her eating it all and I called it a day about 2/3 of the way through. She was really struggling with it anyway. But she then decided that she was not finished and threw a strop! Very embarrassing!!!!

Anyway the temptation was too strong to visit the neighbouring Target store. Now honestly we don’t have supermarkets like that! Ours are rubbish! Also we love to check out the US brands and the things we can’t get in the UK. We got out the car and the girls saw what they think is the best supermarket trolley (do you call them buggys???) in the world!

P1030697.jpg

And the amazing and wonderful thing is that for the first time we did not hear any moans or complaints or even any bickering during our whole trip round the supermarket. It is a miracle trolley! Love it!!!! Really tough to drive though. I did crash it a few times!
Girls chose a few things to take home with them. K chose a Barbie Thumbelina outfit and I can’t remember what E chose. Anyway we got back, K had a quick try on of her outfit and then they went off to bed. Will we make it to park opening 2 days in a row????

I'm loving your TR! Your girls are adorable:goodvibes It looks like you had a fabulous MK day. I just love that even Carousels seem to have a special Magic at Disney:wizard: You are so right about restaraunt portion size here in the US. It's insane. I always leave about half my meal sitting on my plate. (That is unless you go to a real expensive place and there the portion sizes are teeny:confused3) We call the "trolleys" shopping carts or just carts. I've used that Target cart many a time and you are right about being impossible to manuever. You forget how big you are when you're pushing it and forget about turning around in the middle of an aisle:rotfl: Looking forward to more.:goodvibes

Oh my goodness! Your girls are absolutely darling in their expressions while they saw the magic of MK. So cute! Very sweet of your DH put K up on his shoulders so she could see. :goodvibes
So you had fun at Target! What are your stores like over there? No big department stores? Do you have indoor shopping malls?
I too agree about the portion sizes here, they can be huge! We often split a meal or end up leaving so much behind.
Did the girls ride on Cinderells' pony on the carousel? The one with the gold ribbon on the tail.

Your girls are so cute! I have a traveling monkey as well, his name is Henry and he belonged to my deceased father. He goes everywhere with us since my dad loved to travel :)

ahhh,Magic Kingdom!!:lovestruc Besides a few minutes at dinner, what a awesome day!! The girls looked so happy to be there:banana:

I'm loving your TR! Your girls are adorable:goodvibes It looks like you had a fabulous MK day. I just love that even Carousels seem to have a special Magic at Disney:wizard: You are so right about restaraunt portion size here in the US. It's insane. I always leave about half my meal sitting on my plate. (That is unless you go to a real expensive place and there the portion sizes are teeny:confused3) We call the "trolleys" shopping carts or just carts. I've used that Target cart many a time and you are right about being impossible to manuever. You forget how big you are when you're pushing it and forget about turning around in the middle of an aisle:rotfl: Looking forward to more.:goodvibes

ah "carts"! They were horrendous to drive. I always cut my corners too close and got stuck on the edge of the aisle! Not very easy but worth their weight in gold to cut down on the moaning in supermarkets.

Oh my goodness! Your girls are absolutely darling in their expressions while they saw the magic of MK. So cute! Very sweet of your DH put K up on his shoulders so she could see. :goodvibes
So you had fun at Target! What are your stores like over there? No big department stores? Do you have indoor shopping malls?
I too agree about the portion sizes here, they can be huge! We often split a meal or end up leaving so much behind.
Did the girls ride on Cinderells' pony on the carousel? The one with the gold ribbon on the tail.

I probably made the Uk sound like a backwater with no big stores!!! We do have massive stores but our supermarkets are just not so big as the likes of Target and Walmart. They don't have the range that there is there and the prices of things are much better in the US so always nice to shop there! Our supermarkets are very food orientated with some homeswares and clothes thrown in. We do have lovely malls and out of town shopping but also we have the kind of old fashioned High Street shopping still in most towns although sadly they are declining as the malls and out of town retail parks get bigger.

E did get a ride on Cinderellas horse. Her Daddy took her and K on the carousel and they were walking round together looking for some horses together as they were almost last on so did not have a lot to choose from. She suddenly darted in and away from her dad. I walked round the outside to see where she had gone and she had spotted that Cinderellas horse was free! Obviously noone on the carousel at that time knew about the importance of that particular horse. When I found her she was beaming!!!! We did not tell K about the horse as she would have wanted it every time!!!!!!

Your girls are so cute! I have a traveling monkey as well, his name is Henry and he belonged to my deceased father. He goes everywhere with us since my dad loved to travel :)

Thats a lovely idea. Monkeys do love to travel!!!!!

ahhh,Magic Kingdom!!:lovestruc Besides a few minutes at dinner, what a awesome day!! The girls looked so happy to be there:banana:

We were all so happy to be there and a lot of my enjoyment comes form seeing them so happy. It was a great first day - the first of many!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter