Soarin from Scotland to Mickey ;-D ~ June 2009

:banana: :banana: I GOT IN!!!!!!! :banana: :banana:

Thanks for the pixie dust! I got into a teacher training course starting in August. Its a one year course to teach primary children 5-11 years old. So excited but really nervous. Its a huge career change.​

Congratulations! I'm teaching grade four here (9-10 year olds). It's never boring, that's for sure!

Thanks guys!!! Its been a double celebration today as its also my birthday!!! party: 33 today! argh! :scared1:

Had a busy day at work and then supervised the kids school disco so had a busy day! relaxing now with a large glass of wine!

Desperately want to start planning properly. June hours are now out so will be starting over the weekend - yay!!!!!! Got some bits and bobs bought. Some stuff for the girls to do on the plane - mainly stickers books and activity books so its a start! Have not really started buying too many clothes as yet. I need to get the weight down. I am aiming for a stone by the time we go so that starts in earnest on Monday morning. No excuses or slacking!!!!!

Signing up! We will be leaving WDW right before you get there.
I truly loved all the pictures of Scotland and your wedding. You were a beautiful bride! I, too, am a sucker for a man in a kilt hence my obsession with Off Kilter in Epcot. My father's family is Scottish so I guess it's in my blood. (my husband's family is Irish-That makes for big fun!)

Congrats on getting in! It is wonderful you are able to follow your heart and do what you have always wanted!

Looking forward to hearing more planning!!

Yay!!! June is out! The planning can start in earnest! Because we stay off site we need to try to avoid parks that have EMHs. I have done a spreadsheet (oh how I love my spreadsheets :blush: !!!!!) showing the opening times and parade times/fireworks times for each park each day. Since we are there till the 9th July its only half filled! Not long till July comes out too! :cool1:

The only thing that does not seem to work out great is that we usually do the MK on Day 1 and enjoy the Welcome Show. This year the MK has EMH on our first day so we may need to rethink the plan. :mad: :mad: :mad: It will be really busy with resort guests by the time we get there. Who knows what we will do but I'm sure we will figure it out.

The other big change is that we have an extra person! Dad has decided that he is going to come with us which the girls are so excited about. There are seats left on our flight so he is going to book them tomorrow. :yay: :yay:

We had booked an SUV but now need something with more seats so going to have to change our car hire to a 7 seater car! DH panicing about the fact that we may not have enough space for cases and has tried to get me to promise not to take too much and definetely not to shop too much while I am there. hahahahahahahahahahahaha after 10 years of marraige he clearly doesn't know me as well as I thought he did!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

We have however decided which meals to do. Obviously we are not on the dining plan so we will mainly eat off property.

Chef Mickeys for breakfast
1900 Park Fayre at the Floridian breakfast
Crystal palace dinner (last night)

And as a special surprise treat (on us) we will be taking everyone to the Califorrnia Grill for dinner. We loved it there and I would love to take my girls and Mum and Dad there for the evening. I am going to try to request a MK view near the window as the girls would love that. I know its a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get. We are going to get everyone to dress up and then drive them there. Not sure of our cover story yet but we will think of something.

So by the end of the month we can start booking these!! yay!!!!

The one thing I am really starting to understand is that the difference between going last time in June and straddling the 4th July holiday is going to be huge in terms of crowds. We are going to have to change how we do the parks in order to get done everything we want to do.

So as you guys are the experts I am going to seek your advice on the must sees and dos in each park. I will write the things that we can't miss and must do and if you have any thoughts please share them. Sometimes it is so easy to pass by an attraction without realising how good it is.

So here goes:

Magic Kingdom

POTC (closed last time we were there so missed it)pirate:
Magic Carpets of Alladdin (girls loved this one):genie:
Jungle Cruise (you can't not do the jungle cruise!)
Haunted Mansion (missed this last time too)
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain (my fave - will do this multiple times!)
Its a small world (DDs fave ride of all time - will not be able to avoid riding this every tiume we pass it - a real need for strategic route planning round the park!)
Carousel (see IASW!!! same applies!)
Peter Pans Flight
Mickeys Philharmagic (although DD was a bit scared of this last time):3dglasses
Pooh ride! (too cute!) pooh:
Dumbo (missed this last time too - not ridden it since I was small. The line is horrendous though)
Tea Cups (is there anything more fun??)
Goofy's Barnstormer (DD is going to try this ride this time. Her big sister loves it!)
Astro orbitors (yay!!)
Buzz Lightyears Space ranger spin (see if i can match my last trip score of 999999 - don't like my chances!)
Monsters Laugh Floor (never done this show but think it looks fun)

We also want to see Wishes, Spectromagic, the afternoon parade and visit with the characters in Ariels Grotto and also Pixie Hollow.

So what do you think? Have i missed out anything? or is there something in there you would by pass?

Is there any little shows we should try to catch? There seems to be so much going on in MK that it is hard to catch everything.

Anyway - till next time!

Hope you are all well :flower3:

Lx

You sound like me, you want to do it all. :laughing: The only recommendations I can think of is rush in and get in line for Dumbo, maybe send someone for FP's for Peter Plan.

Have you done Jungle Cruise in the nighttime and daytime?

Our first trip was during July4th and we rode almost everything, so I know you can do it. I think IASW was the only thing we didn't ride.

Glad to hear your Dad is joining you. This will be a special trip. And the dinner plans at California Grill sound great.

Your plans sound great. We stay on property and have taken advantage of morning EMH's and I never thought about going on a non-EMH day to rope drop. Are there less people there?

I love the little leprechaun! Thank you!! :) It took me a few tries to get it on there but there he is! ;) Now I will go back and catch up on your plans!

Great plans! You may need to look into getting one of those touring plans. I used one my first trip and felt like I barely spent any times in lines, and it was in March, during spring break times (including mine!) I love your restaurant choices. Only been to Chef Mickey's for breakfast and loved it.

And thanks for the leprechaun!

Ok caught up now.... I didn't see Space Mountain on your list. We really like that but our kids are older.
One other thing not on your list is the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA). That is just a nice way to relax and see the Tomorrowland from up high. It's worth a look, usually there is no line at all.
Tom Sawyer Island is fun to explore if you have the time. In the morning when they start taking people over to the island by boat you can look for hidden paint brushes. If you find one you turn it over to a CM and they give you a FP to something, maybe BTMR?? We were never lucky, but it is fun to look and explore around.
The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House is fun to explore too, usually no line. It's fun to rent the movie before you go so the kids are familiar with the story.
Have a Dole Whip for a treat! :thumbsup2 And visit the Main Street Bakery... good things in there!! :)

Ok caught up now.... I didn't see Space Mountain on your list. We really like that but our kids are older.
One other thing not on your list is the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA). That is just a nice way to relax and see the Tomorrowland from up high. It's worth a look, usually there is no line at all.
Tom Sawyer Island is fun to explore if you have the time. In the morning when they start taking people over to the island by boat you can look for hidden paint brushes. If you find one you turn it over to a CM and they give you a FP to something, maybe BTMR?? We were never lucky, but it is fun to look and explore around.
The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House is fun to explore too, usually no line. It's fun to rent the movie before you go so the kids are familiar with the story.
Have a Dole Whip for a treat! :thumbsup2 And visit the Main Street Bakery... good things in there!! :)

Sadly the TTA and Space Mountain will be closed for refurbishment during our trip.

We have never done the Swiss family treehouse and also have never been to Tom Sawyers island. That might be a great idea for a little break.

The main street bakery is a must and I tried a Dole Whip for the first time last trip and I felt I ate a little pice of heaven!!!! Must let my Mum try one this year. She will love it!

I might look at a tourinhg plan but my family are not keen on being so scheduled. We have 2 weeks so I am hoping that we can do it all over the 14 days. A touring plan would be heaven for me - I might get one in secret!

You're right, I had forgotten that the TTA and SM are going to be closed. :sad2: That's frustrating... maybe they'll be ready sooner, I'm not sure of the finish date for them.
Ahhhh, 2 weeks of fun in Florida! You will have such a good time! :thumbsup2

So I know I am spoiled by my DH but I am typing this on my new MacBook which I got today! He bought it for me for starting my teacher training course but of course it will be great to take to Florida and keep up to date. He is a big Apple fan so I am reaping the benefits of his obsession!!!

So the other night I was trying to get to sleep and thinking about the holiday and I realised that it was less than 100 days til we leave. How was I supposed to be getting to sleep after I found that out? I could hardly stop thinking about our trip!

We have made some good plans since the last update. And had a few problems.

The first challenge we came up against was regarding luggage! We are hiring a 7 seat minivan for the 6 of us. It was DH who worked out that the chances of us getting all of our luggage in the car from the airport to Windsor Hills was extremely slim. And that is not even considering that we always bring extra cases home! (little ones packed inside big ones on the way out!!! Need room for shopping!)

So what to do? Take less luggage? Don't think so!:rolleyes1

The other issue is that on our first full day we always do the welcome show at the MK and have our first day of Disney in the MK. The problem this year is that our first day is a EMH day. This would be great of we were resort guests but we are staying offsite. We need to avoid EMH days!

So the solution we have come up with is as follows. We will hire a 7 seater minivan AND a small compact car for 2 days. The small car will take some of the luggage to the house. On our first full day DH and Dad will go to the East Coast to have a days fishing with the same company that they went with last year. Last year they left at the crack of dawn and Mum, me and the girls got a taxi to the MK and then they picked us up there later. This time they will go for the day and not have to rush back to get us.

Mum, the girls and I will get up and organised and then head to the Wilderness Resort and rent a Surrey bike for a trip round the resorts pathways followed by lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe. I have never been there yet but the feedback on here is that it is really fun so going to keep all the little tips a secret and get Emma to ask for ketchup! :rotfl:

We then plan to head to Downtown Disney and validate our annual pass. We will have a little wander round the shops and a ride on the Carousel (which Katie is very excited about).

A small trip to Publix for things for the dinner and the rest of the day at the pool.

We will have a nice relaxed dinner when the boys get back and then an early night before hitting the MK on hopefully a slightly quieter day.

We will have to play it by ear but hopefully it should be busy enough to be an exciting first day, Disney enough without having a park day ticket used up, but not too tiring for 2 jet lagged kids.

The other good thing about this plan is that we are effectively there for 15 days (one of which is a half day - our final day) and we have a 14 day pass. So this means that we can spend our last day in the park before going to the airport. We did that last year and it was a lovely way to spend our last day. the girls were kept busy and were tired by the time we got on the plane for our overnight flight.

The other good thing is that finally I have started to seriously exercise to get a bit smaller in the body department!!! I ran for the first time on Wednesday and my legs felt like agony since. Well this afternoon i decided that I should run again and it might loosen them off a bit! WRONG!!!!! It feels like they are about to disconnect themselves, pure pain! I must be so unfit!!!!!! Mind you I did find it easier to run further so thats a good thing. And I am actually really enjoying it. We have had a really lovely spring week - dry and bright. Not too warm although today it did get to nearly 15 degrees C so enough for a tshirt when running. Not sure how keen i will be in the rain though.

For my sins I am the vice chair of our school PTA this year and it is our Spring Fayre tomorrow and I have spent the early part of the evening today setting it all up. Will be there all day tomorrow preparing and then helping to run it. Hopefully we will raise lots of money for the school. So shattered tonight and I am going to head upstairs and have a good sleep and hope that when I wake in the morning my legs are still functional and capable of moving one in front of the other!

By the time I am finished tomorrow I shall be in need of a good relax in front of the TV with a nice cold glass of wine!!!! I shall keep that in mind when I am working away tomorrow.

Your new plan for MK sounds good. You'll probably enjoy it better on the second day anyway when you won't be so jet lagged.

Good luck on getting smaller!

Your new plans sound wonderful.

Hint on WCC, don't be one of the first groups there. We were the first to ask for ketchup, so the waitress brought it all out instead of the usual fun. I sure hope you enjoy. We haven't been for lunch.

I have always wanted to rent a bike and tour around. And love the idea of getting to spend the final day in the parks.

We might just see you there, I plan on going a lot this summer.

And, :banana: for the Macbook. Too cool, what a great DH!

Hope all goes well with the school fair! Enjoy that glass of wine!

I'm back - caught up now. We're going to WCC this trip too!

Your plans sound very smart! It makes complete sense to take it easy on the first day. How bad is the jet lag? I know that when we went to Hawaii, coming back was the worst!! Hawaii is 6 hours behind Ohio. It took us like 4-5 days before I felt "normal" again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter