So What's Coming to the New Pleasure Island?

As everyone knows by now, the plans for PI are to outsource the venues to 3rd party operators. As an update to that, one of my connected sources has told me that there are still no contracts signed by anyone for anything. In other words, nothing is going to happen on PI anytime soon, except perhaps the demolition of the RRBC building due to extensive mold.

BobK/Orlando

As everyone knows by now, the plans for PI are to outsource the venues to 3rd party operators. As an update to that, one of my connected sources has told me that there are still no contracts signed by anyone for anything. In other words, nothing is going to happen on PI anytime soon, except perhaps the demolition of the RRBC building due to extensive mold.

BobK/Orlando

This is too sad. RRBC was 2nd favorite behind AC. I still remeber going there and it being all dark when the rest of the island was still up and running. Being told that they "sold" it to somone who would be opening up a new club.

save PI blog reader reports DJ/VJ auditions 4/22 inside Motion. Anyone have any more info? It is not yet posted on disneyauditions.com

save PI blog reader reports DJ/VJ auditions 4/22 inside Motion. Anyone have any more info? It is not yet posted on disneyauditions.com

Interesting. I have no basis for this whatsoever, but I wonder if they're considering temporarily reopening a club for Gay Days. To me, it seems like that would be a smart move - I remember how packed the island always was during Gay Days, and I have to wonder if they regret losing that business to other places.

Interesting. I have no basis for this whatsoever, but I wonder if they're considering temporarily reopening a club for Gay Days. To me, it seems like that would be a smart move - I remember how packed the island always was during Gay Days, and I have to wonder if they regret losing that business to other places.
I'm not gay, but if it would help reopen the island I may reconsider...

MG

I'm not gay, but if it would help reopen the island I may reconsider...

MG

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl:

There are so many rumors out there, it's hard to say. It seems to me the reworking of 8-trax into an "ultra lounge" is the best guess, but who knows. Doing so by gay days could be a stretch though.

Motion is already operational though, it seems it would make sense, but there are a lot of pissed of gay ppl about the closing. Idk how many would come back over just going to Phouse over that time frame.

If they reopened any of the clubs during Gay Days, I'd be there and so would hundreds of others that are not gay. THAT is the pent-up demand for a dance club on Pleasure Island!

But if Comedy Warehouse is returning in some form, did that venue have any kind of DJ? Hate to admit it, but I never set foot in there!

BobK/Orlando

I REALLY want Comedy Warehouse to come back as it was & still remains my favorite club & I have a lot of friends who worked there. No DJ, just Carol or Jamie on the keys. There was a lot of cues but it was done via computer.

I hope it does come back, i'd love to see improv comedy return to PI in 2010, here's hoping.

One CM I know is easy to find is TeenaS, who posts mostly on the Resort Boards - because she is a greeter at the Beach Club and occasionally the Yacht Club.

I REALLY want Comedy Warehouse to come back as it was & still remains my favorite club & I have a lot of friends who worked there. No DJ, just Carol or Jamie on the keys. There was a lot of cues but it was done via computer.

I hope it does come back, i'd love to see improv comedy return to PI in 2010, here's hoping.

Who was the older guy who played the keys he was a funny dude I thought he was the fulltimer but Carol said oh no he is just here parttime but a really funny dude he was .

Who was the older guy who played the keys he was a funny dude I thought he was the fulltimer but Carol said oh no he is just here parttime but a really funny dude he was .

I almost completely forgot about Jim Roberts, probably because I never saw him too much. He was a sub mostly as I usually got Carol or Jamie at the shows I went to. Jim is really funny though, I definitely agree.

As we were unpacking some old collectibles (probably only to us) the other day we came across "tooters" (test tube shot glasses) for 8-Tracks and Neon Armadilo... I know we have some more goodies somewhere...

ALSO....

In the current Vinylmation offering the "kicker" (unlisted) is a vinyl Mickey with the word KONGALOOSH emblazzed across his back... now why would they do that ?????

Just to rub salt in the wound I suppose!:rolleyes1

As we were unpacking some old collectibles (probably only to us) the other day we came across "tooters" (test tube shot glasses) for 8-Tracks and Neon Armadilo... I know we have some more goodies somewhere...

Whenever I am going through our "adult bevarage" cabinet, I have to stop and admire our 6 tiny plastic AC shot-glasses...from back in the day when they had the "Beer Taste Test" - for us this was the late nineties....we also have a PI plastic cup in our regular glass cabinet with all the clubs listed on the side.

....those were the days my friend!

Yeah, in park 4 series of vinylmation is the Colonel. But I'll be darn if I will buy a bunch of vinylmations I don't want to try and get a Col.
DH and I happened to be in DTD during the soft opening of the new vinylmation store on the West Side. (Waiting to enter AMC for Alice in Wonderland 3D.)
Steve, the main pin man, was there. Apparently he is over the vinylmations too.
I suggested to Steve he sell a series/set of AC vinylmations. I think that idea has been floating around in his head.
I told him I would even buy a large vinylmation of the Col or another AC character.

Awhile back I had a collage photo mug made from my photos of AC and CW. :woohoo:Disney wouldn't supply it. So I created my own product through snapfish. :thumbsup2 I happily would have bought a $25 AC/CW mug from Disney if they had offered it.

Several PI sources tell me that this is just their annual DJ/VJ auditions. They like to have a staff of good quality jocks to use at ADH, Celebrate Tonight and anywhere else that they need them. Unfortunately, from what I've been toldl, they're not hiring to reopen any venues on Pleasure Island.

BobK/Orlando

Any more news about improv comedy coming back to PI? I've heard the rumors, i'm curious if there is any new developments. TIA!

I'm happy to say I still proudly wear my Comedy Warehouse pin, gets a lot of attention in the parks especially Epcot for good reasons.

I still wear my 1993 Pleasure Island t-shirt as well & I remember a lot of people were asking me about it when I went to CW on September 20 on my second to last night at PI(My last night was my birthday the next day, what a great way to end your birthday night, getting to provide the pet peeve improv song topic & get to take pics with Jen Brassard, Philip Nolen, Mary Thompson Hunt & my favorite Lisa Glaze onstage sitting on the same stools that i've wanted to sit on for years.) Talk about a memory i'll never forget.

I implore you, please bring the CW back to PI in one form or another. I'd love to be able to spend my birthday this year seeing old friends doing their craft one more time.

Any more news about improv comedy coming back to PI? I've heard the rumors, i'm curious if there is any new developments. TIA!

No new rumors. Last I heard was that "interactive comedy was returning to Pleasure Island" but nothing more than that and nothing since then.

Don't know if you read my Blog, but last September there was a PI cast member reunion and several Comedy Warehouse CM's attended.
Photos at: http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2009/09/pi-cast-member-reunion.html

BobK/Orlando

Don't know if you read my Blog, but last September there was a PI cast member reunion and several Comedy Warehouse CM's attended.
Photos at: http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2009/09/pi-cast-member-reunion.html

BobK/Orlando[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that. I brought that up on the boards before it happened as I stopped at What's Your Problem? & Mary told me about it. Unfortunately I couldn't make the party due to leaving a few days prior. I did try my best to spread the word about it though even though I could not attend.

I definitely enjoy your blog & very much hope the rumor does come true in whatever way so PI can have something good again.

There is a little bit of minor construction going on adjacent Mannequins upstairs entrance/exit but other than that, all is quiet on Pleasure Island. According to the various websites that publish construction permit information for Disney, nothing imminent either.

BobK/Orlando

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter