So What's Coming to the New Pleasure Island?

For those missing the Comedy Warehouse -- several of the cast members are doing Comedy Where?House Shows at the Footlight Theater at the Parliament House the next couple of Sundays. They had a show tonight. So nice to see it again. There are shows on Dec 27 and Jan 3rd.

There is a little more evidence that the Winter Wonderland restaurant is coming to Pleasure Island. I have posted some links on my Save Pleasure Island blog. Under this restaurant concept, it's Christmas (or at least winter) all the time. A cool idea, literally and figuratively! The Fire & Ice ice bar may be part of this concept too.

BobK/Orlando

There is a little more evidence that the Winter Wonderland restaurant is coming to Pleasure Island. I have posted some links on my Save Pleasure Island blog. Under this restaurant concept, it's Christmas (or at least winter) all the time. A cool idea, literally and figuratively! The Fire & Ice ice bar may be part of this concept too.

BobK/Orlando

a good addition to DTD, a horrible replacement for the clubs. It is possible, however unlikely it may seem, that they are looking at the virgin store for this. Does anyone know the sq ft difference btwn virgin and mannequins? Or the mannequins and 8-trax building combined?

is the winter wonderland a chain?

More like a proposed chain. Created by the same guy who came up with Rainforest Cafe, he sounds like an interesting cat--for Rainforest, he built a mock-up of the restaurant in his garage or basement or something to get investors.

Now he creates new restaurant concepts and tries to sell them. I admit, Winter Wonderland is one of the more interesting ones. Here's kind of an overview (obviously biased, being his own page, but gives you an idea):
http://www.schusslercreative.com/branding.html

(Curiously, I did not know there is already a Hot Dog Hall of Fame in PA--so I guess that one would officially be a "chain").

EDIT TO ADD: If Harry Potter is the game-changer many expect, how much you want to bet Sorcerer's Kitchen gets fast-tracked for DTD?

If Harry Potter is the game-changer many expect, how much you want to bet Sorcerer's Kitchen gets fast-tracked for DTD?

In my Blog's September 16th article, I kind of hinted at that, stating: What could be more timely than the Sorcerer's Kitchen: The School of Wizardly Magic and Food?

It makes sense that this concept would be included however I've not heard any mention of such a place in the rumors encountered. Doesn't mean it's not coming any more than the rumored places that are supposedly coming.

BobK/Orlando

Im not entirely sure disney will want to go with the Sorcerer's Kitchen as it will only appear exactly as it is - a dodgy imposter to universals real harry potter stuff.

Im not entirely sure disney will want to go with the Sorcerer's Kitchen as it will only appear exactly as it is - a dodgy imposter to universals real harry potter stuff.

I think you're right. In the long run probably smarter to not wet anyone's appetite for wizard-related things.

BobK/Orlando

I was thinking similarly - even if it doesn't include any actual HP references, it COULD invite a licensing dispute with Universal.

I was thinking similarly - even if it doesn't include any actual HP references, it COULD invite a licensing dispute with Universal.

HP is a Warner Bros. production. Disney and WB go back a long ways and have had a good partnership for years.

Beyond the obvious partnerships like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", WB recently sold Oswald back to Disney (WB is who Universal origionally sold Oswald to when Walt was working for US).

There have also been many WB cartoons on Disney XD.

HP is a Warner Bros. production. Disney and WB go back a long ways and have had a good partnership for years.

Beyond the obvious partnerships like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", WB recently sold Oswald back to Disney (WB is who Universal origionally sold Oswald to when Walt was working for US).

There have also been many WB cartoons on Disney XD.

Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling. WB does not have any rights with regards to theme parks or restaurants. J.K. entered in negotiations with several players, including Disney, for theme park rights. Universal obviously won there. WB could have negotiated on behalf of its partnership with Six Flags, but didn't as far as I know.

I wouldn't expect WB to sue.

I'd expect Universal to sue. Presumably they have exclusive rights regarding theme park usage and perhaps themed dining. Even though this is NOT a HP restaurant, it could be considered a ripoff enough for the lawyers to talk someone into suing.

I'd expect Universal to sue. Presumably they have exclusive rights regarding theme park usage and perhaps themed dining. Even though this is NOT a HP restaurant, it could be considered a ripoff enough for the lawyers to talk someone into suing.

They could jsut as easily theme it as the restaurant owned by the Russo family in "Wizards of Waverly Place" as well though.

......it could be considered a ripoff enough for the lawyers to talk someone into suing.

I'm not so sure about that. Certainly Universal has the exclusive rights to any Harry Potter themed restaurant but if someone else wanted to open a restaurant that had to do with wizards, there is no conflict with Universal as long as they don't use that name. Likewise, I think any of us could open a restaurant full of electronic jungle animals, call it Jungle Cafe, and operate it without violating Rain Forest Cafe trademarks. RFC doesn't have a lock on jungle animals in a restaurant setting. (Heck, most zoos in the country probably have restaurants in them that have pretend zoo animals within.)

BobK/Orlando

I'm not so sure about that. Certainly Universal has the exclusive rights to any Harry Potter themed restaurant but if someone else wanted to open a restaurant that had to do with wizards, there is no conflict with Universal as long as they don't use that name. Likewise, I think any of us could open a restaurant full of electronic jungle animals, call it Jungle Cafe, and operate it without violating Rain Forest Cafe trademarks. RFC doesn't have a lock on jungle animals in a restaurant setting. (Heck, most zoos in the country probably have restaurants in them that have pretend zoo animals within.)

BobK/Orlando

You aren't cynical enough... :)

If you open a "Jungle Cafe", and it is for the typical patron indistinguishable from a Rainforest Cafe, even if you do nothing overt to associate it as such, you can be pretty sure that you'll receive a call from a lawyer representing Landrys to "discuss the issue". That is why there is a fairly thin line they need to avoid crossing.

BobK/Orlando

I think you underestimate copyright infringement laws with this example.

A court will infer copying by a showing of a "striking similarity" between the copyrighted work and the alleged copy.

Off the top of my head Coors sued Corrs (strictly over the idea that they were benefitting over name recognition owned by coors, however if memory serves the small family owned corrs was the older company), Atari sued Magnavox (claiming their KC Munchkin game was based on Pacman). These suits come up fairly often. No way could you open a "Jungle cafe" and not expect to be hauled in front of a judge.

That said, I think Disney would look like a pale imitator if they went in this direction and even if they didnt get sued, it would probably lead to a backlash.

I think you underestimate copyright infringement laws with this example.

Well you may be right about the Jungle Cafe example I gave. It was too much of a copycat. But Schussler's concept already exists as a concept and that predates any restaurant Universal might open in the Harry Potter attraction. So who would be copying who? I think there would be legal room for both. And let's not forget that the mere filing of a lawsuit with allegations of copyright imfringement does not mean the suit actually has any merit. We hear a lot more about suits being filed than we ever do about what becomes of them. But your points are well-taken.

BobK/Orlando

Well you may be right about the Jungle Cafe example I gave. It was too much of a copycat. But Schussler's concept already exists as a concept and that predates any restaurant Universal might open in the Harry Potter attraction. So who would be copying who? I think there would be legal room for both. And let's not forget that the mere filing of a lawsuit with allegations of copyright imfringement does not mean the suit actually has any merit. We hear a lot more about suits being filed than we ever do about what becomes of them. But your points are well-taken.

BobK/Orlando

I believe the issue is that the two businesses are in direct competition with each other so they are more sensitive to intellectual property. It would be like Univeral introducing Macky and Millie Mouse, Goofball, Pluton and Dan the Canadian Goose. For their part, Disney is rather aggressive about going after anyone that either uses their image or infringes on it so I cant see them riding the coattails on a competitor's idea. Really isnt anything to be gained by it anyway.

Regardless, dont want to turn this into a thread about copyrigh laws and how far Disney could go with the wizard idea as it's far more likely they rent out the space for someone that wishes to utilize the concept anyway. When the Weasley's open their joke shop in DTD, they can fight Universals corporate lawyers! :rotfl:

I peeked in Mannequins last night. The mannequins are surprisingly still on the wall. The work light down by the lower entrance was on and I could still see things down there. I also saw the railing where you got off by the bar and could clearly see the dance floor is still there. They also had some white substance on the floor by the bathrooms by the smoking exit. I'm assuming it was to soak up the water that had been accumulating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!