So, what do you do with wet ponchos?

ptrbryant

DIS Veteran
We've been so lucky in the past that we've never had rain during a WDW trip...at least not during anytime we were outside. We're leaving Sunday and it looks like there may be a shower/storm nearly every day (which, since DS10has asthma, I'd prefer to the smoke!!!). I've got our ponchos ready to pack, then wondered: what do you do with them when the rain stops? I don't really want to mash a wet poncho into my backpack, making everything in it soggy. It seems like it would be wrong to carry it into inside attractions, dripping water on seats, etc. So, what's the best suggestion?

Thanks!

Karla B.

I buy the really cheap ones. I either throw them away if I won't need them for the rest of the day, or crunch them up in a ziploc or pull them through one of my belt loops. Either way, I bring a new one the next day.

I am planning ahead and bought some cheap ones at the dollar store. I will be putting them in the gallon size zip locks baggies I will have along. :cheer2: :grouphug:

If the bathrooms still have the hand dryers, you could blow them off a little and then put them in a ziploc.

Unless it looks like more rain, we throw them away and bring a new one the next day. A couple of times we've shaked them off and folded them back best we could to use again the same day.
At the dollar store you get two for a dollar, so we bring one per person for each day.
BTW, it's still really fun at WDW if it rains!:wizard:
Have a great trip!:woohoo: :beach:

I shake as much water off my poncho as I can, then roll it back up and put it back on my belt.

When I get back to my room that night, I unroll it and hang it up to dry overnight.

Ziplocs are the answer! Don't leave home without them. I am taking a variety of sizes - from big to little.

If the bathrooms still have the hand dryers, you could blow them off a little and then put them in a ziploc.

Great idea, I never thought of this, we have 2 sets ready, because the weather is stating Tstorms everyday next week.

We carry a backpack, so we just shake off our ponchos and put them in a plastic grocery bag, and put back in backpack. When we get back to the room, we lay them out over the balcony or shower rod to dry. We normally keep our ponchos and get 2-3 trips out of them. I buy the $4.00 ones at walmart.

I agree that zipocs are the way to go. We carry a back pack and keep the ponchos in a ziploc bag. When we need them, we take them out and put the ziploc back in the back pack. When we are down, we shake them off and put the ponchos in the ziploc.

We tend to buy the really cheap $1 ones, and buy a couple of sets. That way once they get to cumbersome to carry, or rip, we just toss them and move on to the next set. I am sure that a ziploc bag would work perfectly if you have already purchased or have more expensive ones.

Definitely if you use them again, don't forget to hang them up at night to let them dry - otherwise they get moldy and stinky. Blick.

Another one for the cheap ponchos. . .emergency ponchos are the way to go. You just throw them out and never worry about them. . .

I've used both the cheap ponchos as well as the Mickey ones. I now use the cheap ones solely. They are just easier to work with. Love the Mickey ones, but they are nasty to get back into a bag.
I always have a cheapie poncho with me from May-Oct. If I have to use it, when the rain stops, I shake the poncho out, and then ball it up and stick it in one of the small Disney shopping bags, then loop my fanny pack belt through it. It's there if I need it later in the day, but it's not in my way.

[BTW, it's still really fun at WDW if it rains!:wizard:
Have a great trip!:woohoo: :beach:[/QUOTE]

I'm going next week too. What do you do when it rains?

I just pop into a Disney store (since they are all around) and ask for a shopping bag. They gladly give me one.

When we get back to the room and we are done for the day, I throw them away. I also buy the cheapy ones. Pack a new one the next day.

The WDW ones are nice, but I get too wet - the opening down the sides (they only have 3 snaps) allow too much rain to get in.

We shake off the water, turn them inside out so the wet sides are together, fold them up and hang them on our belts or fanny pack strap.

We just shake them off good and roll them up. They are always pretty dry when we pull them out to use them again. I think the heavier ones seem to repel the water better and dry off faster. I usually get a small plastic sack from one of the park stores, fold them up and put it in there.
Have fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter