So tell me about Aulani

Masonmj84

DIS Veteran
We are not DVC members but I recently booked a 5 night trip for early November under the current 30% off offer.

What are the main resort activities?

How would you rate the beach and snorkeling?

How is the resort food (I've read less than glowing reports)? Are the table service restaurants (including the buffet) worth it?

We're only planning on doing two things off the resort property (USS Arizona Memorial and Polynesian Cultural Center). Should we still rent a car for the entire stay, given we'll have to pay $35 per day to park but, on the other hand, avoid paying for cabs? (Alamo on site is showing $80 per day whereas I can rent from the airport for about $30 per day)

Any other tips or recommendations?

Have you checked out the threads here regarding Aulani already? There is even one right on the first page of this forum, http://www.disboards.com/threads/aulani-whats-the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew.3180904/

I would expect you would want to do Pearl Harbor and the PCC on different days so that would mean two rental car days. You could add on the North Shore to either attraction. The snorkeling on the north shore is better than it is at Aulani. Aulani is located on a man made lagoon so the fish are small. Most of the fish are outside the lagoon beyond the rocks where the water is rougher. Whereas on the North Shore there are areas that are pretty smooth for more inexperienced snorkelers plus more challenging areas too. The concierge will provide directions on the best snorkeling sites for your families abilities.

I thought the food at Aulani's restaurants is very good, and typically priced for a Hawaiian resort hotel. And not much different that TS restaurants at WDW.

You can check this link for restaurants in the Ko Olina area. http://www.koolina.com/experience/dining

There are more restaurants in Kapolei. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60654-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Do you have kids? I felt like the beach was fabulous for my family of 4 with kids. But it was not quiet, so if that was what I wanted, I would have been dissapointed. But you could walk away from the chair area if you wanted. There was paddle boarding and kayaking for rent in the lagoon. Because of this, I only saw people snorkeling early and late when those activities were closed for the day. But I believe people have walked to the neighboring lagoons and snorkeled. There is also Rainbow Reef for a snorkeling in a pool type experience!

We cooked quite a bit so we were not reliant on the resort food, but everything I had at Ulu Cafe was outstanding- not foodie quality, but solid and tasty and not overpriced as far as resort food goes. We loved Ama Ama (table service) for both breakfast and dinner, but this was obviously more expensive. Breakfast for 4 was $70 after tip. Dinner for two was $140ish I believe after tip with wine. We diod the character breakfast buffet and enjoyed it a lot. It was about $120 I believe- so pricey but a good selection. I have not read great reviews about the buffet for dinner. We walked across the street one night to Monkeypod for dinner. This was awesome and we went during Happy Hour (3-5:30) and spent $45 for dinner, beers and tip for two. This was a great value! There was also a pizza place and a taco place in this same strip mall. It was like a 5 minute walk, if even that.

We had such an amazing trip- best vacation ever!

If you want a better snorkel spot and don't have a car then I'd walk down to Electric Beach. Don't take anything valuable and leave on the beach, though. The lagoon at the resort is great for swimming, or renting a kayak or paddle board. We were just there and my daughter and her BF renting a jeep and it was something like $100 or so a day, so you may also want to look at alternate transportation (i.e. shuttles or taxi), especially for your PH day.

We just came back from 11 days at Aulani. I put up lots of pictures under the dvc trip reports section. You can walk down to Paradise Cove and snorkel there. One day we saw a monk seal up in the beach and two other days we saw a turtle who loved swimming with everyone. We did the happy hour dinner twice at Monkeypods and the Mexican another. Did the character breakfast buffet and somehow managed to find food every other night at the resort. Had appetizers a few times at Ulu room and ate a few nights out by the pool. Never had dinner at either of the nicer restaurants. I am on my phone so I will try to add more later.

Hi! Got back in May from Aulani.. Ama Ama was amazing! Great food and great service. YES... it is expensive, but not that bad (I have eaten more
expensive food at WDW!!).. The pool bar was good... had an amazing hamburger there and very reasonable prices.. Also got the "refillable mugs" at the
quick service place there... And the breakfast was very good there... Ulu Cafe....We ate there 3-4 times and it was good... Monkeypod was good as well.. Not as GREAT as everyone says it is... but on a scale of 1-10... I would rate it a 7.....
As far as snorkeling.. we did not snorkel.. But the pools are amazing.... And the beach was great... The water was a little cool when we went so we did not get out too much in the lagoon.. ONE THING to do... We did go to Waimea Falls and enjoyed it a lot... ALSO.. We took our rental car around the island and went on the 2 lane road and got back on H-3 back to the resort... A MUST DO... If there was a way to post pics I would.. But don't want to get on Photobucket and all that.. too much of a pain to do it that way....
HTH!!
DeerH

Here is pics of our trip to the Eastern end of Oahu.. Where Jurassic Park was filmed....IMG_0919.JPGIMG_0920.JPGIMG_0919.JPG

Thanks so much for the pics, they're beautiful! We are going the 3rd week in May next year... Was it crowded?

Rnorwo...
You are welcome on the pictures.... They came out very nice... As far as crowded... A staff member told me they were at 80% occupancy.. so..not sure of
how many rooms they have.. but it did not seem overly crowded... As a matter of fact, when we went to Ama Ama'.. At 8pm at night there was only
about 15-25 people there... so we don't think it was bad at all...
Just FYI.. we flew Delta from Atlanta.. one stop in Seattle... and non-stop on the way back with a 747.. THE best airplane around... LOTS of room and not
a bad flight at all.. We were supposed to fly non-stop out to Hawaii... but THAT IS WHOLE OTHER STORY... we had a 5 hr layover in Seattle...:scared::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

Ugh, that sounds awful! No non-stops available from Louisiana, unfortunately, and delta requires two stops! We will likely book AA, it has the least connections.
Thanks for the info on crowds... This is an extended family trip, 11 of us total, and I'm doing all of the planning. I would hate for them to hate Aulani if it's a madhouse (after I insisted it was the best place to stay)! We are going to let the kids skip those last few days of school and try to beat the summer school vacation crowd.

Just a comment about Polynesian Culture Center. We visited last year after not having been there in many, many years. I regret going. It really sucks up most of a day and night. The drive home in the dark isn't much fun. And I think that it is not nearly as good as it used to be. If you are only going to be at Aulani for 5 days, I think you could use your time better. JMHO, of course. And I would rent a car for the whole stay. You can use it for Pearl Harbor and to/from airport as well as sightseeing on the North Shore or wherever. If you can do Pearl Harbor on a weekend day the traffic will be easier. Have a great trip!

Also.. one more (or two) things... Book your Pearl Harbor tickets Online..at Recreation.org I believe.... We paid $65/person... Now.. that includes
everything...The submarine, the Mighty Mo.. and Pearl Harbor.. and Aviation Museum...Now we had older "kids"....21-26.. So I don't know if your young ones would last
that long.. If not.. just book Pearl Harbor online and go to it... I think it is $7.50/person.. BOOK EARLY in the A.M... We had ours at 9am.. and traffic
was nothing... Took 18 min to get there.... And it was great... Just FYI....

DeerH.

Aloha,

Just back from our second family trip to Aulani - everyone had a great time! One week was about right ( but as west coasters we have been to Oahu and Maui many times).

We had a ground floor one bedroom with pool view (can't remember tower name but it was on spa side). Loved the ground floor and this tower as it provided easy access to pools, beach, Ulu café, beverage station, gym, parking area etc. We found we simply did more as it was so easy to go back and forth from room.

The resort itself is truly incredible. The lighting at night is beautiful. Loved the morning and evening swims in ocean, lazy river in evening and infinity pool and hot tub. My favorite still is the adult quiet pool - one of the most shaded areas and very relaxing. Staff are awesome - very helpful and friendly. Ko olina beach area provides nice area to walk (or jog) along the beach walk that connects the 4 lagoons. We made it a habit to watch the sunset each evening - beautiful. Loved the mornings having coffee in front of Ama Ama.

Although apparently it was at near capacity, we didn't find the beach / pool chair scarcity thing to be a huge issue. We could always find chairs. Of course some of the top locations (based on view / shade) are staked out pretty early.

We had only two slight negatives which were not big deals. First, there were quite a few guests who seemed to like to skype or face time in an extremely loud manner and for extended periods of time - most seemed to be doing work with mainland. The other was that they are doing a pretty major reno next door at the Four Seasons. While we were there they were doing lots of outside work with excavators and jack hammers (yes, jack hammers for good part of each work day). It was noticeable but not pre-occupying.

Ulu café was surprising good and we loved Ama Ama breakfasts. Went to both Monkey Pod and Roy's happy hours - both good. If I had to pick, I'd go with Roy's. Went to many good restaurants and food trucks around the Island. They included Dat Cajun guy, Ray's Huli Huli chicken, Teddy's bigger burgers, Steak Shack, Ono Steak and Shrimp, Surfn' Salsa, and a great udon place and a pork cutlet place in Waikiki. We got lots of fresh poke from different locations and some great musubi. Of course we had to get some malasadas at Leonard's truck. We have had a lot of shave ice over the years and the Aulani versions are very good. Make sure you ask for a blender - we made lots of pineapple / iced mixed drinks in our room. Overall, we had a great variety of affordable and good food.

IMO, a car is a must if you stay a week or longer. We are DVC members so we don't have to worry about the $35 a day parking ( I have to admit I wouldn't be happy paying this). As others have said, traffic can be bad so plan to avoid rush hours and check for road work.

We love the North Shore and in particular swimming at Waimea Bay. We had great time jumping off the big rock into crystal clear blue water. Young and old alike climb the rock and take the plunge. We also love Kailua and Lanikai Beach area. We finally did the pill box hike at Lanikai which was a lot of fun with some great views. We snorkeled at nearby Electric beach. Unfortunately, the waves were rather large the day we went which made conditions challenging (very difficult entry, poor visibility etc.). I would only recommend trying this spot if you are VERY strong swimmers - not for younger kids IMO (I have only been the once so maybe it is less dangerous in calmer conditions but be cautious).

We went to Waikiki twice - ala moana mall, some restaurants, and catamaran cruise. Although the beach is nice and there are some great restaurants, I am no longer a big fan of Waikiki. It is a lot of concrete, it is hot and it is crowded.

Overall we had an excellent family vacation - something for all ages at a location that can't be beat. I am sure we'll be back.

Last edited:
Currently at Aulani (1 week down, 1 to go).

Beach has been about as crowded as the photos posted by deerh. One nice thing is that it is a lagoon so no big waves or surge to knock small children about. It can get crowded at times with swimmers, paddleboards, and kayaks but usually it's like in the photos.

I haven't snorkeled in the lagoon yet as I've been enjoying Rainbow Reef (I have the length of stay pass). Most people find one visit to the Reef to be enough, but I try to time my visit for when it's least active and then I can just float above the fish without being bumped into by other snorkelers.

I've been sightseeing almost every day and traffic has not been a problem (save for the one time there was a fire alongside the road and the fire department has all but one lane shut down). If going into Honolulu/Pearl Harbor I usually don't get on the roads until about 9am, and I try to be off of them by 3pm, thus avoiding the rush hour. For the North Shore, I've left about 8am and have had no problems. Of course, I live in the DC area, so I don't find the traffic here to be particularly heavy in comparison. It tends to move along pretty well for the most part. Drivers are a little more courteous than where I'm from, but not as courteous as they used to be over the last 30 years or so. I found Sunday to be the worst day to be on the North Shore as everyone and their bruddah has been out and about.

We have yet to enjoy many of the activities at Aulani. By the end of the day we are tired and get to bed earlier than at home. DW has a spa appointment tomorrow, and she sat in on Uncle's storytelling and said we all have to go next time. Chairs by the pool haven't been a real problem, though you may have to look for vacancies. We leave our stuff on the chairs, go on the lazy river or to the hot tub, or into the pool, and then return fairly frequently (and DW just likes laying in the chair and reading most of the time anyways).

We've eaten at Ulu's and Off the Hook a couple of times, but mostly we prepare meals (and drinks) in our 1 bdrm villa. We've been to the Monkeypod twice, and to Longboards (Marriott) once. Prices are similar but we like the food selection better at Longboards. We ate at Ama Ama on our last visit, and may try it again before we leave. DD and DW like getting ice cream at Two Scoops across the street (by Monkeypod).

I've been to PCC several times and DD (an anthropology major) wanted to visit on this trip. Unfortunately, we chose one of the hottest days to date (well into the 90s) and even the "villagers" were melting that day. Consequently, we decided to leave earlier than planned (we only had tickets to the villages) but while there enjoyed the presentations.

I highly recommend the USS Arizona Memorial. I've visited it every time I'm on Oahu. However, this time I visited the Memorial in a different way. I'm retired military so have access to Ford Island, where I located the original memorial on the shore just opposite the floating memorial. I was also able to visit the USS Utah memorial on the opposite side of Ford Island.

Just a quick comment on traffic..... I am somewhat surprised that two previous posters said they had no issues. Honolulu has the worst commuter traffic in the U.S. according to those who rate such things. That is why they are building a light rail system. If I wanted to go to the USS Arizona Memorial, I'd leave before 7AM and eat breakfast at Anna Miller's if I got to the PH area too quickly. Other than that I avoid driving into Honolulu proper between 7AM and 9:30AM.

Just a quick comment on traffic..... I am somewhat surprised that two previous posters said they had no issues. Honolulu has the worst commuter traffic in the U.S. according to those who rate such things. That is why they are building a light rail system. If I wanted to go to the USS Arizona Memorial, I'd leave before 7AM and eat breakfast at Anna Miller's if I got to the PH area too quickly. Other than that I avoid driving into Honolulu proper between 7AM and 9:30AM.

I said I had no issues between 9am and about 3pm going into or out of Honolulu. We were in Honolulu yesterday (Iolani Palace and general Waikiki area) and traffic was not bad compared to downtown DC. Admittedly, it was a holiday for some but certainly not everyone. When we returned to Aulani about 5pm, the traffic was still moderate compared to DC. On Thursday we left Aulani at 8am but took H-2 north, so didn't get near PH. Again, traffic was moderate at best. The worst traffic I've seen so far was on the North Shore on Sunday.

We hit some bad traffic returning from a full circle drive of the island. It was around 2:30 PM, so we were not expecting the delay. It was bumper to bumper stop and go all through Honolulu until the split with H201 and H1.

I'm surprised how poorly things are marked here. Especially with all the tourists. We went to Pearl Harbor and couldn't find any signage until we were in wrong lane. Our gps has apparently taken a vacation as well because it has misled us. We ended up on a beautiful scenic route complete with a tunnel but it was 20 minutes out of the way. We did finally get there but it made for a frazzled dh! Lol! I was also surprised how dry everything looks except when you get near aulani (and that scenic route). I expected to arrive at airport to a lot of lush, tropical areas but it felt more like Arizona. Nevertheless, we are enjoying our trip and it sure beats Indiana!

I'm surprised how poorly things are marked here. Especially with all the tourists. We went to Pearl Harbor and couldn't find any signage until we were in wrong lane. Our gps has apparently taken a vacation as well because it has misled us. We ended up on a beautiful scenic route complete with a tunnel but it was 20 minutes out of the way. We did finally get there but it made for a frazzled dh! Lol!

I agree, it could be much better but for the most part I haven't had any major problem finding where I want to go, except that sometimes I want to turn one way and I'm in the far lane so have to find a place to turn around and try again.

I was also surprised how dry everything looks except when you get near aulani (and that scenic route). I expected to arrive at airport to a lot of lush, tropical areas but it felt more like Arizona. Nevertheless, we are enjoying our trip and it sure beats Indiana!

LOL! I was telling DW yesterday that the area from Pearl City to Ko'olina reminds me of Tombstone, Arizona. On the way into Honolulu I remarked how green it was on the right (coast) and how brown it was on the left (hills). You can indeed see quite a variety of terrain and vegetation as you travel around the island.

Several locals have told me they are experiencing uncommonly hot weather this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter