So my indecision continues.......now considering one of the Sony SLT A37 maybe?

I generally don't even try to shoot low-light sports with the RX100, but I was at an ice rink so I decided to try it as a hockey game was going on. I'll post some examples of the results when I get a chance. I was quite pleasantly surprised at the results, though the shots are fairly "wide angle." Not enough telephoto reach for good sports shots. But I was pleasantly surprised at the sharpness and exposure achieved.
But I'd still opt for the dSLR in that situation.
Well hurry up and post them since the OP needs to make a decision! :rotfl2: I suspect she'd prefer to go with a point and shoot if possible.

I did get better pictures with my iphone.
OMG, the horror! :lmao: (I still have a 3GS and the camera stinks, but others in my family have the 4S and I really like using it a lot. I might actually upgrade solely for that reason.)

I generally don't even try to shoot low-light sports with the RX100, but I was at an ice rink so I decided to try it as a hockey game was going on. I'll post some examples of the results when I get a chance. I was quite pleasantly surprised at the results, though the shots are fairly "wide angle." Not enough telephoto reach for good sports shots. But I was pleasantly surprised at the sharpness and exposure achieved.
But I'd still opt for the dSLR in that situation.
I have been looking at the rx100 as another pocket camera. my lumix is old and I should upgrade.

but anyway, on the hockey shots, how would they look if you cropped them as opposed to zoom. is the camera clear enough to crop out the subjects?

Well hurry up and post them since the OP needs to make a decision! :rotfl2: I suspect she'd prefer to go with a point and shoot if possible.

Pea knows me well, LOL!

yes since I let this dslr sit in the closet for 3 or 4 years, I think a simple camera is best for me, LOL

I have been looking at the rx100 as another pocket camera. my lumix is old and I should upgrade.

but anyway, on the hockey shots, how would they look if you cropped them as opposed to zoom. is the camera clear enough to crop out the subjects?

I'll post tonight, or no later than this weekend.
From past experience cropping with the camera, you can generally use the crop as a means of doubling your zoom. Do more than that, and you start to notice the loss of image quality. Though I suppose you could crop more, if you are just aiming for a 4X6. But if you crop half the picture, you are basically giving yourself 200mm telephoto or so. If you put a 200mm lens on a good crop-body dSLR (like the A37), then you are effectively getting 300mm.... and if you crop half of it, then you are getting 600mm effectively.
So no matter how you slice it, the RX100 won't give you the best possible reach.
But cropping will definitely give you a bit more reach.

Now all that said, the RX100 does require some learning if you really want to get the best results. It is very comparable to a dSLR -- with plenty of different modes and manual setting. Yes, it has auto -- just like a dSLR has auto. But my RX100 actually is more customizable than my A55.

To get a sense of what you would be in for, take a peek at the user guide:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCRX100_guide/en/index.html

the old slr camera is a Chinon. ( do they even make those anymore, LOL).......I put the lense on my Pentax, it fit, but the camera didn't work with it on. maybe I did something wrong, not sure.

If your SLR was a Chinon, it was most likely using Pentax's K mount, so the lenses would fit on a Pentax DSLR. When you said the camera 'didn't work' with it on, did you mean you couldn't even get it to fire the shutter, or just that it didn't seem to do anything automatically? Your Chinon camera was quite likely fully manual - you had to set the aperture on the lens, and focus manually. So you'd have to do the same on your Pentax camera body - switch the camera to A (Aperture Priority) or M (Manual) modes, and set the aperture on the lens, and dial in the focus. It's possible that the Pentax DSLR has a function somewhere in the menu that allows the camera to fire the shutter w/o a lens attached - you need to enable this function, since the old Chinon lenses have no electronic connections to the camera body.

I still use Chinon lenses on my Sony NEX-5N - a cheap adapter and I can use all my old Pentax mount lenses - some of the Chinon lenses are excellent (I have a particularly sharp 50mm F1.9 and an excellent 135mm F2.8). But it's way old-style photography - all manual focusing and manual aperture setting. The camera can still meter directly through the lens, so I can use A priority mode and let the camera set the shutter speed & ISO if I want...but other than that, it's very hands-on manual style. You could likely use the Chinon lenses on your Pentax DSLR the same way.

If your SLR was a Chinon, it was most likely using Pentax's K mount, so the lenses would fit on a Pentax DSLR. When you said the camera 'didn't work' with it on, did you mean you couldn't even get it to fire the shutter, or just that it didn't seem to do anything automatically? Your Chinon camera was quite likely fully manual - you had to set the aperture on the lens, and focus manually. So you'd have to do the same on your Pentax camera body - switch the camera to A (Aperture Priority) or M (Manual) modes, and set the aperture on the lens, and dial in the focus. It's possible that the Pentax DSLR has a function somewhere in the menu that allows the camera to fire the shutter w/o a lens attached - you need to enable this function, since the old Chinon lenses have no electronic connections to the camera body.

I still use Chinon lenses on my Sony NEX-5N - a cheap adapter and I can use all my old Pentax mount lenses - some of the Chinon lenses are excellent (I have a particularly sharp 50mm F1.9 and an excellent 135mm F2.8). But it's way old-style photography - all manual focusing and manual aperture setting. The camera can still meter directly through the lens, so I can use A priority mode and let the camera set the shutter speed & ISO if I want...but other than that, it's very hands-on manual style. You could likely use the Chinon lenses on your Pentax DSLR the same way.
Thank you! I was able to change the setting and yes it works now! it must be the same lense you mentioned, its the 50mm F1.9
I am going to play with it tonight at the gym and see how it works :)

Okay... Hockey pictures, taken from far above the ice, and behind glass with the RX100.
Each set includes the original "wide" picture, and then a cropped copy. They are each cropped to a different degree. All photos were shot in RAW, and exported to jpeg with lightroom. The "originals" just have some lighting adjustments, but no noise removal. Once cropped, noise was much more obvious, so I applied some noise reduction to the cropped copies.

Here you go:

autumn-76.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

autumn-76-2.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

autumn-77.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

autumn-77-2.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

autumn-78.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

autumn-78-2.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

Conclusion: The RX100 does not match the ability of a dSLR for sports photography, but it is surprisingly "not bad."

Havoc thank you for posting those! I think they look pretty good. And i am sure you were much farther away than i typically am at a gym meet.
That is really an impressive point and shoot!

That is really an impressive point and shoot!

Be careful considering it a "point and shoot." That is, I don't want you to falsely get the impression that it's a 1-click camera. It's really only a point and shoot in size. In terms of features, quality and use, it's really more like a mirrorless camera with a fixed lens. It's sensor is the same size as the Nikon 1 series -- so it has the same size sensor found in a line of mirrorless cameras. It actually has more features than the Nikon 1 -- the features, including the manual controls, are more in line with a high level dSLR. In fact, it has some manual controls/features that I wish I had on the A55, including tracking focus, peaking manual focus, and customizable memory settings.
And finally the lens, while it is a fixed lens, it is actually superior to the kit lens included with most dSLRs and mirrorless systems.

If you are leaning towards a compact camera due to size, then the RX100 is a fantastic choice. But if you are thinking that is will be easier and simpler than a dSLR.... then it's not a great choice.

Be careful considering it a "point and shoot." That is, I don't want you to falsely get the impression that it's a 1-click camera. It's really only a point and shoot in size. In terms of features, quality and use, it's really more like a mirrorless camera with a fixed lens. It's sensor is the same size as the Nikon 1 series -- so it has the same size sensor found in a line of mirrorless cameras. It actually has more features than the Nikon 1 -- the features, including the manual controls, are more in line with a high level dSLR. In fact, it has some manual controls/features that I wish I had on the A55, including tracking focus, peaking manual focus, and customizable memory settings.
And finally the lens, while it is a fixed lens, it is actually superior to the kit lens included with most dSLRs and mirrorless systems.

If you are leaning towards a compact camera due to size, then the RX100 is a fantastic choice. But if you are thinking that is will be easier and simpler than a dSLR.... then it's not a great choice.

This can be said of more than a few point and shoots. There are a lot of them that are far more capable cameras than people give them credit for. Especially if you really know how to take control of the camera.

This can be said of more than a few point and shoots. There are a lot of them that are far more capable cameras than people give them credit for. Especially if you really know how to take control of the camera.

True, which is why "compact" may be a more apt category for these cameras, than "point and shoot."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts