So much to say, needing a break

It sounds like you have a great plan! I will still put out my suggestion in case anyone else could use it. I was going to suggest checking out AirBNB. We are using them for our upcoming trip to Chile. The prices are really fantastic! We are renting a loft apartment in Santiago for about $50/night in a great location. One of my new favorite past times now is to think of places I would like to visit and then look them up on AirBNB's website to see if I could afford to stay there.

Have a great time in Disney!

This is a loaded thread so I apologize in advance for the wrath I bring upon you.

My mother and I had a Disney trip planned for February. She hasn't been since 2009 and we really wanted to go together since we love the exact same things. We booked WL (my fave, her all time bucket list resort) scored every ADR we wanted and even bought plane tickets. Her boss was even chipping in a good portion of the trip costs as part of a Christmas bonus. Then I found out I was pregnant. This was a big cramp in the plans since I wouldn't be able to ride our favorites and my mom wasn't really into riding so many things alone. We decided to cancel. (stuck with airline credits but got everything else back).

Soon after we cancelled, my aunt who has had stage 3c ovarian cancer for almost 10 years was given terrible news. Her treatment options had run out and her kidneys have showed signs of failure so she was given 6 months left (this was in November). Her bucket list item was to go on a cruise with my mom and two of her other sisters so in December they booked a last minute trip and leave 1/17. At least my mom got to use her airline credits but that changed her vacation plans.

Continuing on with the December news, I started having complications with the pregnancy and ended up miscarrying in the second trimester. It was devastating and my husband and I are still grieving as it only happened 2 weeks ago.

So now your wondering why in the heck I am posting on the budget board. I promise I am getting to that. Here I am stuck with Southwest airline credits that need to be used for travel before September and a desire to take a short little trip just to get away with my husband since we have been through so much. One of our first choices was trying to get to Disney and do a VERY low key trip but since all of my pre-existing plans were cancelled, there isn't much by way of "deals". I priced several options and it's pretty far out of our budget comfort zone so I am thinking that's out. Plus my mom is thinking of maybe postponing Disney to next year. My husband thinks a 2 night, 3 day trip to Chicago would be a good option but even that is going to be almost $1000. Maybe it's just the fact that I am overwhelmed so I am not thinking clearly but $1000 for that short of a trip seems a bit much. I have no idea what to do. Part of me now wants to just say screw the airline credit and stay home and save some money since I am going to have some hefty medical bills coming my way from my two hospital stays. But I have a husband that while trying to be supportive of whatever I decide, might need a little get away.

Oh and I also need to mention I run my own business so getting away for me isn't easy. I have to stay available via phone and email on weekdays.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone have experience with the Southwest credits? I'm assuming I can only use them for flights and once September comes, they are gone.

Shew....that was exhausting. :crazy2:

So sorry for all you and your family have been through. If you aren't up to a trip anytime soon I would honestly just let the SW credits go. I'd imagine a trip to anywhere will be difficult because the reason for your getaway will be lingering in the background. It is great to be frugal and pay offs debts, etc. but sometimes money is just money and it's okay to let it go.

Good luck to you!

Hey everyone sorry it's been so long (even a new site design now!) but I did want to give everyone an update. The hubby and I have decided to go down to Disney for two nights and spend one day in MK!!!! :yay: Our friend works for Disney and offered me a pass to get in the park so all we have to pay for is two nights in a value resort and my husbands plane ticket (possibly 1 park ticket if our friend only has one pass). It will be a very short trip but just what we need and it's the cheapest option we have and frankly my most preferred. Waiting for my husband to get the confirmation he has the days off and I will book the flights and hotel. We will be going 4/14-4/16. I have never been in April but according to crowd calendars it should be 5 and 6's that week since it's right after spring break. So excited!:earboy2:

First, I'm sorry for your loss OP. We did a short 2 night trip last year. My DH was extremely stressed & "on the verge" from work & personal issues & we really needed some reconnect time. Off we went for 3 days, 2 nights. And we're a 2.5 hour flight away. First time we ever did something like that. But it was great & really helped him. Getting away to Disney together always recharges us. I'm sure you & your DH will benefit from the time away.

If there's any way you can swing another park day, the Flower & Garden displays at Epcot are beautiful & worth some time there. If not, walking around Downtown Disney & exploring other resorts would be great too. Have a great trip!

First, I'm sorry for your loss OP. We did a short 2 night trip last year. My DH was extremely stressed & "on the verge" from work & personal issues & we really needed some reconnect time. Off we went for 3 days, 2 nights. And we're a 2.5 hour flight away. First time we ever did something like that. But it was great & really helped him. Getting away to Disney together always recharges us. I'm sure you & your DH will benefit from the time away.

If there's any way you can swing another park day, the Flower & Garden displays at Epcot are beautiful & worth some time there. If not, walking around Downtown Disney & exploring other resorts would be great too. Have a great trip!

Actually yes! Our friend is giving us two day park hoppers so we are going to be able to catch Epcot. I have never see the Flower & Garden display but I am super excited. We will probably hit DTD and the monorail resorts before we leave too.

I am glad to hear you did something similar and felt it was worth it. We need to get away and this seems like a perfect solution.

I'm in Lexington and we went down in December for 3 nights and only went to MK on a party night. Just getting away it totally worth it. I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm glad to see you get to get away. I was going to suggest Tampa if you hadn't decided on Disney. It's nonstop out of Louisville and the flights are a lot less crowded.

I'm in Lexington and we went down in December for 3 nights and only went to MK on a party night. Just getting away it totally worth it. I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm glad to see you get to get away. I was going to suggest Tampa if you hadn't decided on Disney. It's nonstop out of Louisville and the flights are a lot less crowded.

Hi neighbor! I am jealous of your Allegiant air prices to Orlando. If I didn't have the Southwest credits I would definitely have considered that option. Thanks for your condolences.

Wow, it's amazing how many helpful suggestions were posted for you! I'm happy you'll be able to get to WDW, especially during the Flower and Garden Show. The grounds are beautiful, the little extra activity areas are fun, and you get the added bonus of special food carts at the World Showcase!

As far as Chicago in March, all I can say is Brrrr! This winter has been brutally cold, with no end in sight. WDW is definitely the better idea, even if it's not terribly warm - it sure beats temps in the single digits and trying to walk around in parkas, hats, boots, etc.

Wishing you a peaceful, comforting trip.

Lady Hiss princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter