So how bad is Air Canada Rouge?

We flew our first Rouge flight last week to YYZ and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm 6'0 and I was fine for such a short flight. I was expecting it to be horrible and it wasn't. If I had a choice at the same price I would choose WJ. Luckily my direct flight down with AC from Halifax wasn't Rouge'd, so I enjoyed that flight better especially with the $10 WiFi. :)

Terrible. Daughters and grandchildren flew 8 am from Ottawa to Toronto May 2, 2014 connecting flight to Orlando leaving 11:10 am. Arrived to be told no flight until 5:30 pm. No explanation, no rebooking to flights leaving earlier. They finally left Pearson at 6:45 arriving at our hotel after 11 pm. No milk on flight for baby, no juice definitely no frills and no service. If that's what you want book Air Canada or fly out of Buffalo and be treated like humans.

Having just flown Rouge montreal to orlando and back to toronto I have to say flying Rouge is problematic for me. I am 6 ft 2. Leg room is very poor for me and also for anyone that wants to work at their seat. Very little room to manuveur around and get thing off the floor, for instance. There is not much difference in the food service. The crew was friendly. The good thing is that it is a shorter flight. When I fly personally, a couple of times per year to MCO, we are using aeroplan points so other airlines are not an option. I also have to comment on the first class cabin. It is the same seats with more suitable legroom. There are 3 seats on each side of the aisle but they do not sell the middle seat in that cabin. The food hot meal is good. I do have eupgrade credits which would allow me to upgrade to first class for free but they are not allowed to be used on reward, aeroplan, flights. Anyway I am going to have to put up with and good it is a shorter flight

Hi ... so when you say there is more suitable legroom in "business" does that mean that there is slightly more space between the rows so you can spread out more than in regular?

I too have read so many stories about people getting "Rouged" and none of them good ... it seems that "normal" people may tolerate the economy section but if you have any form of physical disability then it will be a challenge to maneuver or find a comfortable seating position ...

we're fortunate in that we live 1 hr from Toronto and only 45 minutes from Buffalo. Given that we'll choose Buf over YYZ 100% of the time(if non stops are avail from both) esp if rouge is our YYZ option.
The reasons are simple :
1. Comfort-we are not afraid to fly on a discount airline. We have flown SW on many occasions within the US and quite like them. But rouge is nowhere near their league in comfort and/or service
2 Price- For our trip in May we could fly Rouge for between $519 and $635 per person return-on SW we're paying $247 ea which is less for both of us than the price per person on AC
3 The airports- We can get to BUF and be comfortably sitting in a restaurant having completed the check in process 10 minutes after arrival, while in Toronto we might miss out flight if we arrive less than 2 hours prior. Crossing the land border is so much better than the crazy lines at YYZ even on a busy land crossing day
$ Rates for Parking-parking at the BUF airport is half the cost of YYZ

The only downside of Buf is weather but that is a rarity and knock on wood we've never been hit with a major delay and that is flying out of Buf at least 5 or 6 times a yr. Contra that with Rouge where on 2 separate flights we've had lengthy delays which were not weather related . Suffice to say, we are not doing rouge again. We've given them a chance. We were not happy.

Rouge "Business Class" is not bad, but overpriced. A lot like Business Class on European flights on Lufthansa, for example. The thing that really stinks is the entertainment. It is all older movies and episodes of t.v.shows. Nothing new. Fine, if there is something you missed, but not so good if you are up-to-date on your viewing. Flying Rouge in April and fully expect to see the Downton Abbey episode where Mathew dies, for example!

I was told that in PE (flying Toronto/mco) which is 3-3 seating that they do not occupy the middle seat, so 2 people would have 3 seats???? Can not see that being the case. Suppose its a possibility on longer flights but not on such a short flight. Anyone know if this is right? Thanks.

Rouge is awful. If it's a one or two hour flight I'm ok with whatever, but anything longer is unpleasant. They changed our flight to rouge on a recent trip and nothing works. No one could log onto the onflight entertainment, regardless of which platform they were using. Of course, no one had anything else because we were expecting the regular (and awesome!) Air Canada seatback entertainment.

I was told that in PE (flying Toronto/mco) which is 3-3 seating that they do not occupy the middle seat, so 2 people would have 3 seats???? Can not see that being the case. Suppose its a possibility on longer flights but not on such a short flight. Anyone know if this is right? Thanks.

This is exactly correct. Short flight or long flight.

Really,that's a great surprise. Going on Sun. And booked PE as I have mobility problems, so that would be great. Thanks.

Please let me know how it goes (i.e. leg room/overhead bins, etc) ... we are booked for November for the YYZ-MCO leg in Premium Rouge ... we were concerned due to DW's mobility issues also ... thanks.

Fºoºz;52954762 said:
Please let me know how it goes (i.e. leg room/overhead bins, etc) ... we are booked for November for the YYZ-MCO leg in Premium Rouge ... we were concerned due to DW's mobility issues also ... thanks.

Row 1 has no available overhead bin space as flight attendants necessitities are stored there. You certainly are welcome to use bin space above rows 2 & 3. As well, there is no under the seat/floor storage except for possibly under your middle (unused) seat.

Leg room is adequate in all rows although getting in and out of your seat is a little easier in row 1 in my opinion.

Fºoºz;52954762 said:

Travelling tomorrow. Booked row 2 so will let you know next week how we get on.

I felt like a sardine on the rouge. Plus someone was wearing so much perfume on our flight. Thank goodness Porter Airlines goes to Orlando now! The plus to porter you can get free wine or beer lol

Ive flown them a couple of times, twice to LA and once to Dallas for work. LA I slept most of the way and I was ok. Dallas was a work trip with 25 of my co-workers, so we kind of took over the flight a bit and made our own fun. There were tV's in the seats and movies ect, but you had to pay for them.

Anyone have experience with the preferred seats in economy? Are they worth the extra cost? Specifically the first row of economy right behind premium rouge.

Rouge "Business Class" is not bad, but overpriced. A lot like Business Class on European flights on Lufthansa, for example. The thing that really stinks is the entertainment. It is all older movies and episodes of t.v.shows. Nothing new. Fine, if there is something you missed, but not so good if you are up-to-date on your viewing. Flying Rouge in April and fully expect to see the Downton Abbey episode where Mathew dies, for example!

Rouge does not have a business class.

Anyone have experience with the preferred seats in economy? Are they worth the extra cost? Specifically the first row of economy right behind premium rouge.

We have the first row for our Feb 19'th flight to Orlando. We got these seats because our grand daughter will only be 13 weeks old and the xtra room should be beneficial

Rouge does not have a business class.

Good point, that's why I used quotation marks! However, if you look at the booking portion of the AC website, the pricing area still calls it Business Class. When you select a class, and look at the seating plan, then AC calls it Premium Rouge. Sneaky old AC! :sad2: :sad2:

Last edited:
I flew with a large group from YYZ to MCO and back. I am 5.11 and my legs hit the seat in front. Very happy that the person did not try to recline. Now for a short flight I will suck it up for a good price. But everyone else in our group said that they would never fly Rouge again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter