So angry at TCD and Dollar

Kerryc

Mouseketeer
When we got our tickets last Friday, I happened to read the handbook they sent and noticed it said if you had a new card type driving licence you had to have the paper counterpart too. after ripping the house apart over the weekend to find it and couldnt i started to panic. I rang TCD and explained and they said "you definitely need it yada yada yada" and advised me to ring Dollar. Which I did who categorically told me there was no way he would be able to hire the car. I have an old driving licence but do not feel confident enough to drive out there. By this morning I was frantic and rang the DVLA to see if they could help. They were very nice and said they could send Dollar a fax, but oh no Dollar wouldn't accept that.So the only option was for my hubby to drive to Swansea and apply in person for a duplicatethen drive back on Friday to pick it up. This meant extra expense and time off work, so i thought hang on a minute how on earth can you be stopped from driving a hire car just because you dont have a crumby piece of paper?? so i rang Dollar at Sandford and lo and behold was told not to worry at all because he wont even need it. I am so mad that if i didnt follow it up myself I could have had all that extra hassle and expense!! BLOODY RED TAPE :confused3

Remember the Alamo bloke not being interested in the thing for me.

They make your blood boil at times you'd think they could tell you straight away that you don't need it but they probably have a list that says you need it and thats what all the operators tell you.

Hiya

Yeah I know it is horrible when companies do that.

I am wondering if they said it to cover themselves. Again still wrong.

We hired a car without the written paper no problems.

Most hire companies won't ask to see the paper part of the licence, but you would need it if you were ever stopped by the police in America, for example. They need to see the whole licence as the paper part includes any endorsements. It is pretty meaningless for most car hire companies, but it can rebound on them if the police come back to them and ask why they are hiring our cars without the full licence work. So, technically, you DO need both parts, but it is unlikely you won't get a car without them.

We've never been asked for the paper part of the license whenever we've used Dollar, either at Sanford, MCO or LAX.

Kerry,

As mentioned previously, even in this country if you are stopped by the police you are obliged to produce both paper and card part of your licence as endorsements and entitlements are listed on the paper part, so I suppose that it makes sense that both parts are neccessary for car hire in the States.

This is from the TCD website;
'Please note that you must be at least 21 years of age to hire a car in the US and local charges will apply to any driver is under 25. You need a full British Drivers Licence or International driving licence to rent a car in the state of Florida. There is no minimum time for having had a licence. You must have your original with you and if you have the new style photocard, both parts are required. A faxed copy is not acceptable.'

To be fair TCD have as above highlighted this in their booking conditions.

The 'old style' paper licence was in my opinion much better, but thats progress, apparently :teeth:

steve404 said:
Kerry,

As mentioned previously, even in this country if you are stopped by the police you are obliged to produce both paper and card part of your licence as endorsements and entitlements are listed on the paper part, so I suppose that it makes sense that both parts are neccessary for car hire in the States.

This is from the TCD website;
'Please note that you must be at least 21 years of age to hire a car in the US and local charges will apply to any driver is under 25. You need a full British Drivers Licence or International driving licence to rent a car in the state of Florida. There is no minimum time for having had a licence. You must have your original with you and if you have the new style photocard, both parts are required. A faxed copy is not acceptable.'

To be fair TCD have as above highlighted this in their booking conditions.

The 'old style' paper licence was in my opinion much better, but thats progress, apparently :teeth:

I understand that Steve but I was treat as if I was stupid by both TCD and Dollar, they were totally uncompromising. The reason I rang Sandford was because I knew I wouldn't get treat like that by them. Bloody stiff collared sods in this country, absolutely no compassion whatsoever. We genuinely were not aware of this fact until we got our tickets, and then it was only in the Guide Book that came with them, there was nothing on the Dollar Leaflet or Service voucher. If I had not read the guidebook I would have gone out without it anyway.

I hired from Dollar at MCO on 19th October and they did not ask me for the paper part of the license.

I think on only one occasion have we had to show our paper part. But I wouldn't go without it as if stopped by the Police you need to be able to show both parts of the licence.
I did the opposite in June got everything ready and forgot to swap my photocard part from my normal wallet into my holiday wallet, so there we were at Orlando airport and I only had the paper counterpart! Luckily DH had both parts and as he is the one who drives it wasn't too bad, but I am usually named as a driver incase of emergencies. Determined not to forget it next year as I want to drive along the desert roads in Arizona and Nevada :)
Claire ;)

Claire L said:
if stopped by the Police you need to be able to show both parts of the licence.

Who says? I'm sure that the average FHP cop won't be interested in the paper part, and that's assuming he knows it comes in two parts.

Sorry, but I think that posts like this (and SV's) cause unnecessary worry, even though I realise that is not your intention. :)

homerdog said:
Who says? I'm sure that the average FHP cop won't be interested in the paper part, and that's assuming he knows it comes in two parts.

Sorry, but I think that posts like this (and SV's) cause unnecessary worry, even though I realise that is not your intention. :)

Technically you do not have a valid licence if you cannot provide both parts of it. Sorry but I would not want to get on the wrong side of the law in the US considering how strict they are about things. As Florida is popular with the Brits I am sure the Police would be aware of this. Also Simon who knows alot about Florida, agrees both parts are technically needed.

Claire ;)

steve404 said:
Kerry,

Maybe, but in this day and age its not very "safe" is it - as in no picture - so if u work at a car hire place you could be giving a car to anyone!

Also "fingers crosssed this wont happen" but if for any reason there was some type of accident then i was told it you would need to produce the both parts of the licence within so many days!

Claire L said:
Technically you do not have a valid licence if you cannot provide both parts of it. Sorry but I would not want to get on the wrong side of the law in the US considering how strict they are about things. As Florida is popular with the Brits I am sure the Police would be aware of this. Also Simon who knows alot about Florida, agrees both parts are technically needed.

Claire ;)

there is nothing in the official Dollar documents that say you need both parts. i doubled checked. There is also nothing in the TCD brochure,terms and conditions either.

Kerryc said:
there is nothing in the official Dollar documents that say you need both parts. i doubled checked. There is also nothing in the TCD brochure,terms and conditions either.

Yes TCD quite clearly state in their section about hiring a car with Dollar -

You must have your original with you and if you have the new style photocard, both parts are required.

from here.

Claire ;)

Claire L said:
Yes TCD quite clearly state in their section about hiring a car with Dollar -

You must have your original with you and if you have the new style photocard, both parts are required.

from here.

Claire ;)

yes buts that only on the website Claire , there is nothing in the actual brochure, so what about people who don't have access the the internet??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter