Snorkeling

RachelST

Earning My Ears
Snorkeling would be new to me.
Between water temps and mood, I don't think it would be worth buying and bringing our own snorkeling gear just for maybe using it on 1 trip. (I don't know if we'll get a chance to cruise/snorkel again, especially anytime soon.)

I've done a little research but don't have much knowledge.
It seems like some snorkels, you can swim under water a little with them and it seems they don't fill with water quickly. Is there a few breaths worth of air in there or do people hold their breath when going under water. Are there different snorkels with different abilities like this? If so, which does Disney provide on Castaway Cay?

I don't like swimming but I do like snorkeling so purchased a relatively inexpensive mask and snorkel set that I take on cruises.

I have what is known as a dry snorkel. There is a valve on the end that automatically shuts to keep water out. I love it, which is one reason I take my own snorkel with me. However, it also shuts the air out when closed and won't reopen until it's back above the water so you need to take a deep breath before going below the surface.

The ones on CC are basically just a tube opened on the end and there is nothing to prevent water from entering. I've never been able to master the trick of not inhaling the water, especially from a random wave or water splash, which is the main reason I prefer a dry snorkel.

I also prefer my own mask to those at CC or offered by other snorkeling vendors. I've got the fit just right, it's comfortable, and the faceplate isn't all scratched up.

The basic snorkel sets on Amazon only run a few dollars more than renting a set on cc. It's my understanding that you'll still need to borrow a life vest but those are free.

Even if all you do is stay at the surface. Snorkeling at CC is very enjoyable. It was one of my DW's favorite parts of our last cruise. We were able to outfit all 5 of us much cheaper at home then renting, used the required life jackets at CC (glad there was no charge for those) and used their chlorine solution bath to clean off equipment afterward.

If you practice in a pool you can get the handle of swimming underwater while snorkeling, but learning to do so in saltwater may be a bit overwhelming, not impossible though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter