Sneaking Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been on eight cruises and have never been hounded for drinks. We would have loved to catch some of the two for ones we have heard about. Maybe we hang in the wrong spots;)

Cgolf

Also must not look like drinkers or maybe poor because we don't get the sell for the wine package either. Should I be upset;)

DCL is not counting on revenue from liquor sales. They do very little to promote the sale of drinks. We had most of the time to hale a waiter to get a refill. You need to take Carnival Cruise then you will understand.

We were only offered the wine package once, but we were absolutely hounded by servers offering to bring us drinks when we were in lounge chairs on deck 12 overlooking the pool. There were times when 4 or 5 servers called out to us within 10 minutes. DH and I both commented that we didn't remember it being that way on the Dream last year. I know they were doing their jobs, but it was a little over the top. We looked for a server and made eye contact when we wanted something, so it was frustrating to be interrupted while talking, reading, or just relaxing with such frequency. We were also pressured to buy a bucket of beer each time we ordered a single beer for each of us. We typically had to decline 2 or 3 times before the subject was dropped. I have not been on a Carnival cruise, so I have no basis for comparison between cruise lines.

Ummm....on the website it clearly states:

"Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into Disney theme parks."

I disagree with your reasoning, even if you were right about the parks food policy.

I believe it is a poor choice to excuse not following their policy with "they don't really mean it" and/or "I can get away with it." Also a poor example for the younger generation that watches us and learns from us.

I accept that some (and from this thread, perhaps many) do subscribe to that attitude, though, and such is life. We don't, and we have a wonderful time on the cruises.

This is the current policy as show on their website for the Disneyland Park (WDW may have a different policy listed but I do no visit there regularly like I do DL):

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/dining/

Can I bring food into Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park?

If you wish to bring your own food and enjoy an outdoor meal in an ideal setting, there is a complimentary Picnic Area conveniently located outside the Main Entrance to Disneyland Park.

With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, food or beverage items are not permitted into either of the Disneyland Resort theme parks.

Yours would be a very valid point regarding my children if they were aware that such a policy is written on the website (which they are not). They do not read message boards where we discuss these things in depth ;) There are no signs at the entrances saying no food or drink. No one has ever even mentioned it to them.

So no one is "getting away with anything." Is isn't like we are telling our kids to hide the food. They have no idea if there is a policy or not because it has never come up. We make no attempts to sneak in food. We don't bring in full meals but we do have some snacks for the kids and bottled water and this is clearly visible when they check our bag. We often go through security with a bottle of water in our hands. If we were even once told that we cannot bring it in, then we would discontinue bringing it with us. We have even had CM's joking with us that a snack looks good and can they share with us.

This is compared to the policy of no shorts in the dining room. Has anyone ever seen this policy enforced? No, because it is a policy they have no intention of enforcing. So why have it? Simply because it you don't have some policy in place, people will show up in swimsuits and cover ups, tank tops, short shorts, etc.

The point of my post was the DCL has to include some policy regarding the alcohol that they allow to be brought on the ship. Otherwise people will take the ability to bring in alcohol to the extreme.

There are always some people, in each situation, that seems to have lost their ability to self regulate their behavior. If left up to the general population, there will always be someone that takes things too far and ruins it for everyone else. Therefore you (DCL in this case) have a policy to fall back on to deal with those people.

And I'm not sure why I even gave my .02 on this one, other than it reminded me of bringing food in the parks debate. The only alcohol that I can remember drinking in public areas on the ships have been ones that I have bought from DCL. I don't take alcohol to the dining rooms and the wine and drinks that we have brought on, we drank out on our verandah :confused3
Oh wait, I think once I did put a little rum in my coke on our last cruise while in the room and then brought the remainder of it with me to finish when I went to the pool. But don't worry...I didn't corrupt my kids. They weren't with us on that cruise ;) :rotfl:

But I do admit that we will continue to take our own bottled water into DL until they tell us that we can't :lmao:

X2 on both your posts. 9 DCL cruises and have NEVER been offered the wine package.

They seem to catch me as I'm exiting or entering the buffet, or around the pool on embarkation day.
The last couple of cruises, we didn't go up there on the first day, and I don't recall being asked at all. But....those were 3 & 4 night cruises, and most of mine were 7+ nights, so I wonder if that makes a difference?:scratchin

Best advise would be to order a refillable beer mug and fill it with your own beer when u r in your state room then u can walk around with it. With wine go down to the bar and get a wine glass and fill that up with your wine before you leave stateroom

Best advise would be to order a refillable beer mug and fill it with your own beer when u r in your state room then u can walk around with it. With wine go down to the bar and get a wine glass and fill that up with your wine before you leave stateroom

Having to go back to the room to refil you beer kinda defeats the vacation mindset IMO. I want to have drinks brought to me as I sit in the hot tub or lounge by the pool. I guess some people bring their own booze for convienance and some do it to save money and some do it so they can be assured they will have the brand or vintage or type of drink they desire.

Having to go back to the room to refil you beer kinda defeats the vacation mindset IMO. I want to have drinks brought to me as I sit in the hot tub or lounge by the pool. I guess some people bring their own booze for convienance and some do it to save money and some do it so they can be assured they will have the brand or vintage or type of drink they desire.

I feel the same way about the "Free Soda Station". Definitely not a plus in my book. Well, it IS better than nothing, but it's not that great, since you have to schlep yourself up there to refill all the time. Besides, I'm a Pepsi drinker, so I bring my own. ;);)

I feel the same way about the "Free Soda Station". Definitely not a plus in my book. Well, it IS better than nothing, but it's not that great, since you have to schlep yourself up there to refill all the time. Besides, I'm a Pepsi drinker, so I bring my own. ;);)

Are you saying the Free Soda Station means they won't bing you a soft drink to your longe chair? I think the will.

I love the drink station where I can get coffee out on deck and watch the sun come up. My son likes it cause he can make his own weird drink - coke and orange Ida and root beer and whatever else is there. My wife likes it because she is very particular about her cokes and if it is not just right with syrup and crib nation she will dump it and get something else.

Are you saying the Free Soda Station means they won't bing you a soft drink to your longe chair? I think the will.

They will. But, since the drinks will be brought to you from the bar, you will be charged for them.

I couldn't even get my kids to bring me a soda from the station...and even if they did, it would have been the same weird concoction your son makes.:laughing::laughing:

oh, I love the 'free soda station'. beats the $30 ($35?, i'm forgetting exactly right now) per person charge on RCL. you don't have to produce a drink card which is just another stupid thing to carry around. plus, we are never that far from a drink station so the little bit of exercise we may get from having to 'schlep' (love that word) ourselves up there to refill is a bonus in my eyes. the fact that you can also get a tea or coffee as well is wonderful.
the waiters also will bring you a drink if you don't want to make the effort to walk to the drink stations. I've never been charged for a tea but I have never ordered a pop from a waiter so I can't comment on that.
yes, I have to say the drink stations are a HUGE bonus in my eyes! but again, I don't mind the walk.

oh, I love the 'free soda station'. beats the $30 ($35?, i'm forgetting exactly right now) per person charge on RCL. you don't have to produce a drink card which is just another stupid thing to carry around. plus, we are never that far from a drink station so the little bit of exercise we may get from having to 'schlep' (love that word) ourselves up there to refill is a bonus in my eyes. the fact that you can also get a tea or coffee as well is wonderful.
the waiters also will bring you a drink if you don't want to make the effort to walk to the drink stations. I've never been charged for a tea but I have never ordered a pop from a waiter so I can't comment on that.
yes, I have to say the drink stations are a HUGE bonus in my eyes! but again, I don't mind the walk.

I don't mind it either, if I don't have someplace else to be. But if I'm playing Bingo, or in a club, or whatever, there's no way I'm going all the way up there.

I don't buy the drink cards on the other lines. I could never drink $30-$35 worth of soda in a week, anyway. And I still take my own on the other lines.
I guess that's one thing that always confuses me, people make it sound like you're FORCED to buy the soda cards....which isn't a card anymore, it's a sticker on your room card, or a special mug, or whatever. But still.....it's true, the money for a soda package isn't worth it, but added into the cheaper cost of the cruise itself, it's still a bargain compared to the "Free" soda on DCL.

I don't mind it either, if I don't have someplace else to be. But if I'm playing Bingo, or in a club, or whatever, there's no way I'm going all the way up there.

I don't buy the drink cards on the other lines. I could never drink $30-$35 worth of soda in a week, anyway. And I still take my own on the other lines.
I guess that's one thing that always confuses me, people make it sound like you're FORCED to buy the soda cards....which isn't a card anymore, it's a sticker on your room card, or a special mug, or whatever. But still.....it's true, the money for a soda package isn't worth it, but added into the cheaper cost of the cruise itself, it's still a bargain compared to the "Free" soda on DCL.

I would easily drink $30-$35 worth of soda in a week as would dh if we had to paying per drink. that would pay for about three days of per drink for us. myself and dh drink a fair bit of soda so we are kind of forced to buy the card. and the cruises we go on are seldom cheaper on other lines during the times of the year we like to go. last time we priced out dcl and rcl and added in the 'extras' we would have to pay for such as the soda it was cheaper to go with dcl by a fair bit of money. i know there are other times when rcl was cheaper but i hate hate hate the add ons. they never seem to end. jmo, i know others feel differently and i don't want to debate cruise lines.
also, not sure if you know this, but if you are at bingo or in a club there are always waiters wondering around to take drink orders so don't feel you have to go without. again, i have only ordered tea but they don 't mind bringing it. its not pleasant to be without a drink when your dry.

also, not sure if you know this, but if you are at bingo or in a club there are always waiters wondering around to take drink orders so don't feel you have to go without. again, i have only ordered tea but they don 't mind bringing it. its not pleasant to be without a drink when your dry.

I take my own Pepsi onboard (no matter which cruise line) because I'll only drink Coke if I don't have a choice. But yes, after 13 Disney cruises, I know I can order a drink.
One time, at a trivia game, a bar server came over and asked ME where I got the Pepsi I was drinking, because another passenger wanted one. :laughing: I guess the server thought maybe they sold them somewhere on the ship!

I take my own Pepsi onboard (no matter which cruise line) because I'll only drink Coke if I don't have a choice. But yes, after 13 Disney cruises, I know I can order a drink.
One time, at a trivia game, a bar server came over and asked ME where I got the Pepsi I was drinking, because another passenger wanted one. :laughing: I guess the server thought maybe they sold them somewhere on the ship!

I wish Disney sold both. I understand why they don't but the lengths that people go to get pepsi while on any Disney vacation is amusing. We are DVC members and had friends stay with us in a two bedroom vila. We would have used the resort's store for our groceries but since the father of the family said he was willing to rent a cab to go to the store to get pepsi for himself, I said that we could have a Garden Grocers deliver it. Since we were using this store to deliver pepsi, we used it for all of our grocery needs. Disney lost a lot of 'business' since we bought a lot of groceries for our party of 9.

Just as any dedicated Pepsi drinker can tell you which restaurants serve Pepsi, he/she can be expected to go the mile to insure at least a smattering of their favored drink on vacation.

Our tour guide in Kenya even took us near the Tanzanian border to secure us some Pepsi once! Yes. He DID get tipped well that day! :)

I wish Disney sold both. I understand why they don't but the lengths that people go to get pepsi while on any Disney vacation is amusing. We are DVC members and had friends stay with us in a two bedroom vila. We would have used the resort's store for our groceries but since the father of the family said he was willing to rent a cab to go to the store to get pepsi for himself, I said that we could have a Garden Grocers deliver it. Since we were using this store to deliver pepsi, we used it for all of our grocery needs. Disney lost a lot of 'business' since we bought a lot of groceries for our party of 9.

Which was no where near the amount Coke pays to be the "Exclusive" drink. :lmao:

Sorry, the 'lost sales' are more then made up for by the big check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter