Snake in my suitcase at POP Century

That's HORRIFYING :scared1:

I'm not scared of snakes but I'd be traumatised by finding one in my suitcase! I'm glad disney dealt with it quickly though :)

I hate snakes and would live happily the rest of my life if I never see another one again. I am glad I read this though, will definitely not be requesting bottom floor! I do also hope that little boy who was bit in May is doing well.

What fresh heck is this?!?! Why did I not stop the second I saw the word snakes! For the love of pete, i'll never get to sleep there now.

Exactly!!! I can't stop reading this thread, and I'm never going to be able to sleep tonight!

That is like saying someone visits the bayou, and complains about the gators, and you agree they should be better managed.

Reducing the snake population would mean an increase in rats and mice and other really icky things. Not a trade off I would want to make.

Not to mention, there have been 2 problems with snakes reported over the last how many years? Seems they do a good enough job of handling them already.[/QUOTE

That's why there is alligator season as a way to control the population. Have you seen Swamp People? Also, if you're brave enough and think that Wildlife and Fisheries aren't around, gator season is year round.

Bless your son (and you having to watch him go through that, so scary!) This is the similar situation that occured with a child at BC a few years ago, dropped something near landscape and the snake bit him while reaching in to grab the toy. That child was ok as well, but had to be hospitalized too. So sorry you had to go through this!

Just to clarify the post you quoted. The story was not that of the poster. It looks like they were trying to quote the story others had referenced regarding CBR. That incident happened in 2009 to another poster.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2277822

I was going to ask if any of the snakes at WDW were poisonous, but I guess now I know the answer to that! :scared1:

There are only 6 species of venomous snakes native to Florida and only 4 of those might be found in the Orlando area. The timber rattlers and Copperheads are rarely found as far south as Orlando.

So that leaves the Cottonmouth (water moccasins), Eastern Diamondback rattler, Pygmy rattler, and Coral snake. None are aggressive and most people that are bitten by these snakes are bitten on the hands, so just don't try to pick them up. Also watch where you are walking if you are barefoot. Deaths from bites by these snakes are very rare.

You should be much more concerned about lightning at WDW than snakes. ;)

Sorry you were so freaked out, certainly not fun for you. To everyone else freaked out by the thought, please try not to worry. Although possible this is a rare occurrence.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm excited to see snakes in the wild - including "wild" Disney. (Look at my username.) I grew up with snakes and have 3 as pets. I would have been tempted to take the corn snake home with me. They make the best pets. :-)

Of course I know snakes and can tell the difference between poisonous & non-poisonous. I am disappointed that they killed the snake. Anyone in that position should know snakes better than that. A corn snake looks NOTHING like any poisonous snake.

Sorry you were so freaked out, certainly not fun for you. To everyone else freaked out by the thought, please try not to worry. Although possible this is a rare occurrence.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm excited to see snakes in the wild - including "wild" Disney. (Look at my username.) I grew up with snakes and have 3 as pets. I would have been tempted to take the corn snake home with me. They make the best pets. :-)

Of course I know snakes and can tell the difference between poisonous & non-poisonous. I am disappointed that they killed the snake. Anyone in that position should know snakes better than that. A corn snake looks NOTHING like any poisonous snake.

I don't think they killed the snake. As far as I'm aware, (have been told by several different CM's during different snake run-ins) they "re-home" them and are not allowed to kill them.

Alexander said:
I don't know how many times we've been to WDW maybe 40, but I have NEVER taken a ground floor room for this exact reason! More the lizards, oh and ducks at the BCV, but I don't want ANY wildlife in my room!

All I can hear in my head now is, "There's a snake in my boot."

LOL!! Now that is all I hear in my head now too!

I don't think they killed the snake. As far as I'm aware, (have been told by several different CM's during different snake run-ins) they "re-home" them and are not allowed to kill them.

If I read it right, the OP said in a reply that they did kill the snake because they thought it was poisonous but then realized it was a harmless corn snake afterwards. I'm glad that is not their normal procedure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter