Snake in my suitcase at POP Century

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by ats360, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rustyanchor

rustyanchor Mouseketeer

oh my god. :scared1: we're staying at pop in september... i'm going to be SOOO PARANOID.

yes it's the south, but you still shouldn't have to worry about snakes in your luggage. i live in the south... we see snakes sometimes.... I STILL HATE THEM!! a couple of years ago my mom had a snake in her kitchen. i have friends who have found them in their laundry rooms too. just the thought makes my skin crawl.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. disnut8

disnut8 DIS Veteran

I asked the OP a few posts ago if she saw the snake being killed as Disney will usually remove the non-venomous ones and relocate to a less populated area. And I believe the OP said it was determined not to be a venomous one. So I'm waiting for confirmation the snake was really killed. Doesn't seem to be Disney's style to kill a harmless animal that is just part of the circle of life. Humans being scared of them doesn't make them harmful.

4. Mommy2PrincessAbby

Mommy2PrincessAbby DIS Veteran

I am going to be requesting a top floor after this post, and I like snakes, but I draw the line of having them in my suitcase! I also put my suitcase on one of those racks, because it is harder for bugs to make their way in then if you put your suitcase on the ground... That wouldn't keep the snake out of under your bed though!!

5. buckeev

buckeev RedNeck Mouseketeer

LOL...." Snakes. Why did it have to be SNAKES,."

6. ats360

ats360 Earning My Ears

Disney did kill the snake because the guys thought it was poisonous. The snake was aggressive and did lurch initially. It was red/orange in color but turned out to be "just" a corn snake... They guys did say something to the effect of... aww, it's just a corn snake, now I feel bad for killing it. Still shivering as I think about it.

7. jaykorf001

jaykorf001 DIS Veteran

They may have assumed it was a venomous coral snake. But I think they probably should have known better -- JMHO. The coral snake is the only non pit viper venomous snake that lives anywhere near the area. I don't mind snakes: however, having one in my suitcase at any time -- venomous or nonvenomous -- would go over like a turd in a punch bowl with me. I'm glad Disney took care of you. Pretty shocking.

8. Kimberle

Kimberle <font color=darkorchid>WL Vet<br><font color=blue>

I saw the pictures of the snake at the CR a few years ago. It made a nest and laid eggs on the top of a curtain rod in a 2nd floor room. It was probably there a while before being noticed. It was one of those black racer snakes.

They can most certainly slither up walls.

P.S. We saw a large black snake just outside where you scan your tickets to enter the park last April. I called someone over and they just "pushed" it into the bushes saying it was harmless.

9. jaykorf001

jaykorf001 DIS Veteran

They eat tons of rodents so they're really beneficial and harmless. However, having one in the room is awful and disgusting.

On a similar note to why snakes are beneficial, I have a story from my visit to the Poly in June. I was walking on the path along the pool headed towards the beach. My son had already scampered ahead and my husband was just slightly ahead of me. It was about 8:45 p.m. and there were plenty of people around. I felt something scamper across my foot and hit me in the shin. I screamed and my husband turned around and wondered what was up. I never saw anything but definitely felt it. A lady walking near by actually saw it. I said please tell me that was one of the ducks. She replied that she didn't know what it was but it definitely was NOT one of the ducks. It basically went from the bushes on one side of the sidewalk to the other hitting me on the way. We were very close to both the beach and the volcano pool. I was left to envision some ghastly rodentia. It's not a good thought. I wish a snake had eaten it before it "met" me.

10. *Fantasia*

*Fantasia* <font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c

I was hoping that there is a picture of the snake in your suitcase for you to share with us. Can you imagine bring that thing home with you without even knowing it! :eek:

11. jess1662

jess1662 Mouseketeer

Why am I reading this thread?!? It makes my skin crawl!

12. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Mouseketeer

This all seems like a lot of hysterics in my humble opinion, and "send someone to kill it?" What did it ever do to you except get you a free night? Sheesh, and sheesh again. Catch and release is a more humane way for them to have handled this. Maybe Disney needs a new ride- It's Tough to be a Snake, and at the end of the ride, all the snakes get slaughtered.

13. CNYDisneyFan

CNYDisneyFan DIS Veteran

I'm completely 100% terrified of snakes. If I saw that, I would have a major panic attack. A few weeks ago, I was signing for a package and I happened to see a garter snake slither across my front lawn. I freaked and had a panic attack. It took me quite a while to calm down. My chest hurt, my heart was pounding and I was hyperventilating.:scared1:

14. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Mouseketeer

Have you sought help for this? I'm not being sarcastic. I am prone to panic attacks and they are no joke.

15. T0rrent

T0rrent Mouseketeer

Lol that's what hairspray and a bbq lighter are for ;-)

Snakes don't bother me but I admit I scream like a little school girl at bugs. And since scorpions are nothing more than a hybrid wasp/spider/nightmare combination any sighting is an act of war lol.

16. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Awful! I'm not too surprised though. I have heard of other people in ground floor rooms that get the little lizards in their room. Mousekeeping keeps the doors propped open when they clean so the resorts with exterior corridors are prone to this. I've also heard of love bugs getting in due to this too if you are travelling during that season - and that can happen on any floor!

17. DisneyDoc5

DisneyDoc5 Making memories...

We have seen snakes at Blizzard Beach, Coronado Springs, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom (in the wild, not on display)....NOT pleasant, but thanks to my morbid curiousity and reading these snake threads (yes, there are other threads on snakes, avoid!), now I am looking all the time.

Not afraid of anything else, including spiders, but no likey snakes!

18. king kamehameha

king kamehameha Poly Beach Comber

19. Miss Potts

Miss Potts Mouseketeer

I was just thinking the SAME thing. But now, I just can't look away. Ahhhh. I'm never going to get any sleep tonight!

20. AuroraRora

AuroraRora Princess

We had a huge toad in our room at POFQ, that's about it. But now we mostly stay at Pop - yikes!!

21. KELLY

KELLY DIS Veteran

I never get ground floor for this reason. OMG I read a trip report and they had stayed at POR and they had a frog in there room. So now I never request any floor. I do ask for lake view but if they gave me bottom floor I would ask for something else.