Smart Phone Verizon Data Plans

ok heres what i did and i feel like it was a waste of typing:
Please wait for a Chat Representative to respond.

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. My name is 'Lina', how may I assist you?

Lina: Thank you for visiting our website. My name is Lina , how may I assist you today?

you: i have a blackberry storm 2 and i am interested in upgrading to iphone 4, not eligible til 3/2012

Lina: Sure! I can help you with your concerns today, and before we get started may I please have your first and last name and ten digit mobile number?

you: how much will one cost without the 2 year upgrade, and will i be able to do it in the future without losing my grandfathered unlimited data plan? xxxxxxxx 000*000*0000

Lina: I do understand that you are inquiring about your account. I would be happy to help you today. First, for security purposes, may I please have the last four digits of the Account Owner's Social Security Number on the account?

me: ****

Lina: The cost is 649 for full retail.

me: cough

me: will i be able to upgrade later without losing my unlimited data plan?

Lina: The iphone requires a data plan of 29.99 or higher.

me: i say upgrade since my storm 2 is slow and apps for it stink

me: i have the 29.99 data plan with my storm2

Lina: Ok.

me: so will i be able to switch phones next march and keep unlimited data?

Lina: Yes the phone requires a data plan.

me: do i have a person or a bot?

Lina: I am a real person.

me: ok, trying to find out if the unlimited data plan, which i have, will vanish when i change phones in march or not

Lina: Yes the phone requires a unlimited data plan

me: and the square root of 9 is? assuming you are a person

Lina: Do you have any other further questions or concerns I may assist you with?

me: i know i have unlimited plan now, the unlimited plans are scheduled to go away in july. I am trying to see if my plan will be grandfathered

Lina: Yes the phone requires a unlimited data plan

me: or if i need to change phones now to keep my plan

Lina: All smartphones require data plan,

me: i know that, i am on unlimited data now and know that on 7/7 it changes, should i buy a new phone before then to keep my plan?

Lina: I am not aware of a change of data plans.

me: they dont tell bots these things, just the people

Lina: Ok.

me: its on various financial websites, and budget forums, and im trying to find the answer to a simple question

Lina: Is it on Verizon web site because if it is not that it is a rumorr.

Lina: rumour*

me: will i be able to keep the unlimited data plan i currently have when i switch to an new phone at the end of my current term

Lina: If it is not on our web site I am not aware of a change.

Lina: If the phone you upgrade to is a smartphone it will require a data package of 29.99 or higher.

me: i have a 29.99 data plan now

Lina: ok.

Lina: I have not heard from you for a few moments. Would you like me to keep this chat session open for you?

me: actually the memo is an internal verizon memo that the rumour is coming from

me: and its all over the financial sites on the web

me: odd verizon doesnt know about it

Lina: I understand your concern but I am not aware of a data change.

me: ok, guess ill go into the store and see if anyone there knows, thank you
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

next round of beating the dead horse....

This is giving me a *huge* headache, because none of us in our household have data plans (budgetary reasons), but DS16 has been begging for one consistently. He'll be on our friends and family plan at least through college (if not beyond), so I feel like if I don't put the unlimited data plan on *now*, we're in trouble. But it is $30/month, and that's a lot of $$ towards college.

Sigh.

Terri

I have Verizon plan, but the middle ds 28 is a Virgin Mobile unlimited for $25. He does not have the I phone, but a souped up Samsung droid and we both are happy.:surfweb:

ok heres what i did and i feel like it was a waste of typing:
Please wait for a Chat Representative to respond.

<snip>

me: ok, guess ill go into the store and see if anyone there knows, thank you
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

next round of beating the dead horse....

OMG, I can't decide whether that's hilarious or just plain pathetic.

I thought you were very clear. I guess Lina didn't though. :lmao:

Good Luck at the Verizon store. Be sure to report back on how that goes.

I have Verizon plan, but the middle ds 28 is a Virgin Mobile unlimited for $25. He does not have the I phone, but a souped up Samsung droid and we both are happy.:surfweb:

Yep, we allow DD to remain on our verizon family account, but she's surviving college just fine without a data plan of any kind, much less unlimited.

My guess is that "Lina" is not on this continent and is only versed in certain questions. That said, I called to drop the $9.99 from one of the lines yesterday and chatted with the agent who did tell me that the $29.99 plan would continue to be "grandfathered" as long as it was in place by 7/7, so when I get my new phone in December and moving forward, as long as I don't make any other changes and it's a contract renewal, I'm good.

DDs shiny new white iPhone is on the way and she is ecstatic. She more than earns $30 in month in her help around here, plus by dropping the cheap data plan and having dropped a line last month, my net will only be an extra $10 than I'd had budgeted. Thanks for clinching the decision for me.

I am new to the world of smartphones and texting and contracts. Up until yesterday I had a prepaid phone and DH's phone is handled through his work.

I signed up for Verizon and go the iphone without being aware of any impending changes to the unlimited data plan.

Here's my question: If I make any changes to the text messaging portion of my contract, will that make me ineligible to keep my unlimited data plan?

i am trying to figure out how much texting I will really need. Right now I have the bare minimum and had plans to upgrade to a larger bundle in the future if need be. I want to know if I need to decide for sure before 7/7.

thanks for any guidance anyone can offer. :goodvibes

You can check your monthly statement. You can also go to the My Verizon App on your phone or check online.

The easiest way to see current usage to call #data on your phone. You'll get a free text msg saying how much data you have used during the current billing cycle.

Without elimination of the unlimited option, they'll end up where terrestrial broadband is - with a broken marketplace where casual users pay more to subsidize the heavy usage of those who best exploit the unlimited option.

Exactly!! :thumbsup2

With tiered data plans, the heavy users are paying their share. Rather than raise the rate for everyone, it's being passed along to the heavy users. 90% of data users use less than 2 gb anyway.

I am new to the world of smartphones and texting and contracts. Up until yesterday I had a prepaid phone and DH's phone is handled through his work.

I signed up for Verizon and go the iphone without being aware of any impending changes to the unlimited data plan.

Here's my question: If I make any changes to the text messaging portion of my contract, will that make me ineligible to keep my unlimited data plan?

i am trying to figure out how much texting I will really need. Right now I have the bare minimum and had plans to upgrade to a larger bundle in the future if need be. I want to know if I need to decide for sure before 7/7.

thanks for any guidance anyone can offer. :goodvibes

You don't need a data plan for texting. The data plan is if you go on the web, check your email, etc.

Maggie

I thought I read something here that there was some kind of increase in the data package price but people were grandfathered in? Does anyone have any info on this? Hubby just came home with new phones for him and DD abd they are both paying $29.00 a month. Thanks.

Hi, Just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this info!! I was the last in my family to get a data plan(today) with my new (IPhone:)). I had been procrastinating even with being eligible for an upgrade. But your post made me get to the Verizon store and get my smart phone with the unlimited data plan grandfathered in. I also asked at my Verizon store, why we were not notified of the change that is coming?? They did not have any answers and they did not even know the date at which it would go into effect!! :confused3 Joan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!