Slightly OT: VWL Getting DVC Cabins Along Bay Lake?

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
This topic is not directly Fort-related but it is physically nearby. This is from the DIS Resorts forum.

Looks like the Villas at Wilderness Lodge may be getting cabins/villas along Bay Lake (similar to the idea of the Poly DVC Bungalows). Speculation centers around "what's next" for DVC as one project wraps up. Wonder if they will actually get built?

http://www.disboards.com/threads/wilderness-lodge-dvc-expansion-details.3410778/

It doesn't appear to be a high volume project, more of an add-on. So it might only be a short time before the "next new project" after this comes along.

Cue the VWL-FW DVC conspiracy theorists. I'll have to dig out my tin foil hat.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Yep...bout time for the "fixing to level the ruins of River Country for a glorious new DVC" to start up.

Tiggerdad,

I still think that Disney could make a success of an expanded Fort Wilderness or a FW DVC-version (I'll pause here to let the management interns in the Lake Buena Vista bunker grab their crayons and a scrap of paper to take a note).

At Disneyland-Paris, there is a FW cabin-only resort called "Camp Davy Crockett". I propose Disney build a themed RV-DVC or Premium RV Camp Davy Crockett across the street from the main Fort Wilderness entrance on the plot of land between the Fort and the EPCOT parking lot which would also be bordered by the new pet kennel building. Make it all super long pull throughs and all pet friendly. Build a bridge over the canal behind the kennel/Best Friends for easy golf cart or walking access to Camp Davy Crockett. It's debatable if Comfort Stations would be needed although I could see the need for another Trading Post and pool over there. For folks that want a Comfort Station, they would have the classic Fort still available. Golf cart only trails could run through the entire place. The Davy Crockett theme could resurrect Musket Mickey in the coonskin cap. Disney could print money with that theme....

Disney could leverage the existing Fort Wilderness infrastructure and use the existing check-in/lobby arrangement. Then folks could cross back over the main road and with their freakin' fanstastic Magic Band enter through an automatic gate to CDC. All the back yard shops and maintenance at the Fort would support the extra business at CDC. Maybe even build a viewing parking lot for golf carts, picnic tables, loungers, etc that overlook the EPCOT parking lot and would be a prime viewing spot for the Illuminations fireworks over the Spaceship Earth ball every night (with the music piped in of course-but do the fireworks get high enough?). Busses would hit CDC before they hit the Outpost bus stop for external routes.

That patch of real estate where I propose Camp Davy Crockett is kinda in the middle of nowhere and with some concrete, some electrical, some plumbing, and most of all a plan, it would be a plus. Disney could charge a huge premium on some land that has no reasonable long-term plan otherwise. Internal bus routes would run across the street for the Meadow Trading Post and Campfire singalong (I propose a Green route - the color of money).

While DVC tries to find its high profile sweet spot, they might eventually build out between VWL and FW. But the Fort hasn't been expanded since the 70's and for a good portion of the year the demand is there (including seasonal rentals longer than 30 days for snowbirds). They can leverage the DVC ownership model onto a patch of concrete and some copper wire (and some stupid WIFI designed in from Day 1) and make plenty of money.

And all I ask for my ideation and finder's fee is 1% of Gross Revenue. That's all.

Bama ED

PS - and interns, I'm easily found to pay me my 1%.

Interesting ideas Ed. I was thinking expanding on the current campground, perhaps some sites directly on the lake.

We'll have to draw up some plans next week down at GSP.

See ya then,

2 problems I see with the plan.

1st, if I'm paying DVC type $$, I want water front! And nicer park access than a bus. You know. Like a boat or 2. Even a monorail.

enter through an automatic gate to CDC.
And then there's the name. Or more accurately, the abbreviate name. While CDC to most people may not have a negative connotation, in my world, it stands for Center for Disease Control. I'll let others insert their own joke or pass judgement on the appropriateness of the name for the intended "high end" customers that would be drawn to such a place. :)

Actually, I've often wondered why the Fort has not been expanded (in some form) into the land between RC and WL. I've walked the trails there many times. I know there is a canal that runs from Vista Blvd towards the lake, but the land and waterfront seem ripe for something. "Supreme" (Super Duper Premium) sites would make sense in there. Give those sites special access to all the amenities at WL, put in an infinity pool to make it feel like you are swimming in (deadly) Bay Lake, maybe add their own boat dock and presto!

If that land really is committed on a long term plan to some form of WL/Ft DVC, then use your CDC land across the road to add 10 more loops of Full/Partial/Premium sites. Take the 3 Preferred loops, rebuild them into 2 Supreme loops. They are closest to the beach and boats, Settlement, HDDR and a bus depot. I'm probably going to keep reserving a site in the 100, 200, 300 loop area anyway, so why not find another way to extract $50/night more than I'm paying now? Silly me, I'd probably pay it and deal with all the CDC disease jokes if that's what they wanted to name the new loops.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter