Slightly Delayed Dining Review - with Pictures - updated 3/2 Sunshine Season and Jiko

Great reviews so far! I totally missed that salad at Backlot Express when we were there! Now that we planned our Star Wars Weekends trip, I will HAVE to try it. It looks fabulous!

I am so in for the rest!

Great reviews. I am in. Love to hear more because we love some of the places you dined at!

Really nice pictures and great reviews, I am so looking forward to hearing about these places we haven't been to yet! That salad looks yummy, we will have to try it on our next visit! :goodvibes

We had arrived at MCO the evening before with a three hour delay – the entertainment system of our plane was not working and had to be replaced before we were allowed to start the flight from Germany to MCO! :scared1: (We thought this was bad, but the flight back was even worse!! :scared: ) Therefore we got to bed much later than expected.

We still had a pretty early breakfast from Mara at our hotel, the Animal Kingdom Lodge) on our balcony. I went down to get the mugs and something to eat and ended up with two kids meals: waffle with bacon and grapes. A drink was also included. This was our breakfast table:

DSC02536.jpg

And this is a close up of the kids meal:

DSC02539.jpg

We thought this was a great deal! The waffles were fresh and the portion size was just right for me for breakfast. We ended up getting this a number of times for breakfast.

I really liked the Mara, we never ate a lot of meals there, but found it to be convenient for our needs. Most of the time we took the food back to our room and sat on the balcony. They told me, it was ok, to take the tray with me, mousekeeping would remove it. I never found it too crowded, but I was never there for breakfast after 8 am.

I also very much like the décor:

DSC02453.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

DSC03050.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

It also has nice outdoor eating area:

DSC03051.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

Looks nice, less crowded and the food looks yummy :woohoo:

I'll go there someday in our next trip. Thanks :)

I can't wait to hear the rest of your reviews...you ate at most of the restaurants I want to try in April :)

enjoying your reviews...are you on the left ot right in your photo?!
we are going to be at wdw jan 24-jan 27! yippee!!!
thanks for taking the time to post:yay:

enjoying your reviiews! popcorn:: were going back in may and then either feb or march and eating at some of those places!!:yay:

Im in too! Mouth is watering and my mind is wandering to WDW!!!:cool1:

Great Reviews so far :thumbsup2

I see that you're going to Disney again in just 2 weeks!

You will LOVE the Polynesian :) It's my all time favorite resort.

Thanks! I really hope I will love the Polynesian. I really love AKL and we decided to go with the Poly this time since we are saving so much with the 4+3 deal that the Poly for the first time comes down to a price that I find half way reasonable. Before my first trip the Poly was the hotel that I dreamed about, but after our first stay at AKL I totally fell in love with AKL, so now I am a bit homesick for my AKL, even though I get to stay at the Poly. I know it sounds very strange and I keep telling me that I will love it there: seeing MK over the lake, taking the monorail to Epcot, enjoying the beach etc....

Great reviews so far! I totally missed that salad at Backlot Express when we were there! Now that we planned our Star Wars Weekends trip, I will HAVE to try it. It looks fabulous!

I am so in for the rest!

Glad that you are enjoying the reviews, I hope to have the salad again in a bit over two weeks time (to be precise, on 1/26 :goodvibes ). I wll report back, whether it is still as good as last year!

Great reviews. I am in. Love to hear more because we love some of the places you dined at!

Welcome! We really enjoyed all of our meals on that trip, it was really hard to figure out where to eat this time, because we wanted to try new places as well as revisit old favourites! :goodvibes

I'm on board! popcorn:: popcorn::

Welcome! It's great to see so many from the Jambo thread!! :cool1:

Really nice pictures and great reviews, I am so looking forward to hearing about these places we haven't been to yet! That salad looks yummy, we will have to try it on our next visit! :goodvibes

Thank you! I am really lucky that Carola is playing along so nicely and patiently waits while I am taking thousands of pictures of our food. :goodvibes

Looks nice, less crowded and the food looks yummy :woohoo:

I'll go there someday in our next trip. Thanks :)

I really like Mara, however, these pictures were taken at "off" times. We (or at least me) are rope drop people, so breakfast there was always before 8 am. Once we were there later and it was getting a bit chaotic. But I never found it unbearable.

I can't wait to hear the rest of your reviews...you ate at most of the restaurants I want to try in April :)

You have a good list of restaurants lined for your trip then! When reading reviews, I find it interesting how different the peoples restaurant choices are. We really like the resort restaurants and eat there a lot, while other people have most of their meals inside the parks.

count me in!

Welcome!

enjoying your reviews...are you on the left ot right in your photo?!
we are going to be at wdw jan 24-jan 27! yippee!!!
thanks for taking the time to post:yay:

Sorry, I should have clarified this: I am the one with the pink t-shirt and blond curly hair. I will edit the post...

enjoying your reviiews! popcorn:: were going back in may and then either feb or march and eating at some of those places!!:yay:

Welcome! Lucky you that you already have two future trips planned!! :banana:

Im in too! Mouth is watering and my mind is wandering to WDW!!!:cool1:

Welcome, hope you will enjoy the future reviews as well, will post the next one very soon!

This is the only restaurant we have eaten at for every one of our trips to WDW. We really love the food there. We love all the different tastes we can get there and end up eating as many different things as we can. Our favourites really are the appetizers, the soups, the salads, the bread and dips. While the main dishes are good, we find them to be more “standard” and we rather concentrate on the things that we cannot get anywhere else.

Unfortunately the jet lag really caught up with Carola this evening and she was feeling really bad. Fortunately we were staying at AKL, so she actually went to the room to lie down for about 10 min during the meal and could not really enjoy it as much as she had hoped for. You will not be surprised to hear that we have an ADR for 1/25/09!

I started the meal with drink: a Lemon Drop. I love lemons, so I thought this would be just my drink. It was nice, but too sweet for me.

DSC02508.jpg

I have pictures of our plates of food, but unfortunately I don't remember all the dishes anymore. Still, they are nice to look at, here are the pictures:

DSC02506.jpg

DSC02507.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

DSC02510.jpg

DSC02511.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

If you have a specific question, I will try to answer as best as I still remember!

I am enjoying your reviews! We will be staying at AKL for the first time in less than 2 weeks, I cannot wait!

The next morning, Carola was fortunately feeling much better and we got exactly the same breakfast as the day before. I told you, we really liked it! I also have to mention, that they first wanted to give me apple sauce to go with it, but I had read somewhere on the DIS that people could get grapes, so I asked for them and that was no problem.

Once again we were at Epcot at rope drop (I love the jet lag in this direction: You fell like you slept in when you wake up at 6 am as it is noon for our internal clocks!) and were quite hungry for our lunch at Japan!

Teppan style dining is not very common in Germany and those restaurants are usually extremely expensive. I had always wanted to try this, so was very excited that we would be able to try out the at this time still pretty newly renovated Teppan Edo.

Our ADR was for 12 pm, that was the first seating for lunch. We were one of the first parties to check in and were told to wait in the entrance area. They have small Japanese opening ceremony here, which was a nice start:

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02570.jpg

We were then lead to our table. There are several rooms behind each other, each with four tables:

DSC02591.jpg

Above each table is a huge fume hood :-)confused: :confused: that's the word my dictionary comes up with???):

DSC02573.jpg

At the start of the meal our server brought out hot towels. These were great! :thumbsup2

DSC02572.jpg

For my drink I got an iced green tea. It was ok, but I have had better iced green teas before:

DSC02574.jpg

Carola and I decided to get a couple of appetizers and the split an entree.

We wanted to try something we never had heard of before: Edamame, young soy beans:

DSC02576.jpg

They were absolutely delicious!! :lovestruc I have since realized that many Japanese restaurants here offer them and I order them regularly. But very few times, have I gotten ones that were as good as at Teppan Edo!

We also had Assorted Tempura (shrimp, chicken breast and seasoned vegetables with a Japanese dipping sauce). The picture shows it half eaten:

DSC02575.jpg

The tempura was nice, but not spectacular. I think we focused so much on the edamame that we did not really notice the tempura.

For our entree we had the sirloin steak and chicken combination. Sharing was no problem, we just got each half a portion on our plates. And we did not have to share the sauces! This was good as the meat itself is rather flavourless in my opinion. But the sauces were fantastic, so we really liked the combination. Our chef made quite a show and I was happily snapping away, so here are lots of pictures:

setting up:

DSC02577.jpg

distributing the sauces, while explaining them:

DSC02578.jpg

the making of an onion volcano:

DSC02580.jpg

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

the chef making fun of my camera:

DSC02583.jpg

serious meat preperation:

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02588.jpg

my chicken portion (edited to add: I think it must be the steak after closer looking at it, sorry for the confusion!) (that's a quarter of a full meal or half of my split portion)

DSC02589.jpg

I totally forgot to take a picture of the chicken, I think I had eaten it by the time I got the steak.

Overall we really enjoyed Teppan Edo, but we found it a bit over prized for what it offers. We are not planning a return trip this year, we rather want to try something new. However, I will happily go there again on another trip. I am really glad I finally got to experience this style! :goodvibes

I'm so glad you posted those Mara photos and tips. We will be there this summer and I love seeing the restaurant area. It just gets me more excited about our upcoming trip!

BTW, love your reviews so far....more, more, more!!!!:thumbsup2

my chicken portion (that's a quarter of a full meal or half of my split portion)

DSC02589.jpg

I totally forgot to take a picture of the steak as I was already enjoying my food when I got it.

Overall we really enjoyed Teppan Edo, but we found it a bit over prized for what it offers. We are not planning a return trip this year, we rather want to try something new. However, I will happily go there again on another trip. I am really glad I finally got to experience this style! :goodvibes

I was glad to see a review for Teppan Edo, I am considering it for a trip this year. But are you sure your picture is chicken and not steak? Either you have your pics mixed up, or that is some nasty looking chicken and I think I'll pass!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter