Sleeping Beauty DVD Spec.s

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Sarangel, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Sarangel

Sarangel <font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<

From the Disney Web Page - regarding the Sleeping Beauty DVD release on September 9, 2003:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. WDWHound

WDWHound DIS Veteran

Wow! I'll certainly be grabbing a copy as soon as it hits the shelves.

4. d-r

d-r <font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>

i feel compelled to say a cynical thing here, and I'm sorry for that.

But, I think anyone should be cautious in interpreting the Sleeping Beauty release as a sign of trends in Disney DVD. You may remember that there was some discussion of Disney "slimming down" the dvd releases. The logic went something like this. For most studios, it has become fashionable or profitable or whatever to pack in bonus material in multiple dvd releases. The thinking is, these materials will encourage people to buy the dvd, rather than just renting it, catching it on HBO, etc. Disney, on the other hand, seemed to decide that people were buying dvds only for their kids to wath anyway, so these extra bonus features were a waste of their time and money. People will buy lilo and stitch, for example, and be more happy with a singel disc for their kids to be babysat with, than a packed double edition.

Now, my cynical point is that you shouldn't take Sleeping Beauty or 20K LOTS as indicators that this isn't going to be the continued trend. I say this because the material had already been put together before this was decided. For example, 20K LOTS will be released as a stand alone "Special Edition," rather than as a part of the "Vault Disney" series, along with "So Dear to My Heart" etc. The extra material, menu work, etc. had already been done for 20K leagues, when it was to be part of the vault disney series, so even the end of the vault disney series didn't preclude it from being released as a 2-disc set. Same with Sleeping Beauty. Remember that SB isn't one of the named "Platinum edition" titles, but it will get a 2-disc set as a "Special Edition" (when was the last time you saw anything released as "Gold Edition?" A year ago?). This is because this is the same disc that was already released in Europe and the UK, and is of material that already existed for the previous Laser Disc release - so no new development went in to this. Roger Rabbit is a third example of a great release, where the work had already went into it before the slim down decision.

I'm just saying this as a caution not to get excited about the direction of future dvd releases. Or see this, or the other two releases, as a sign of good things to come or the general current direction of disney dvd. Don't go looking for a two-disc version of Lilo and Stitch, or TP, etc. I'm sure that Pixar will do it up with Finding Nimo, though, because they are Pixar and that is what they do.

That said, I think it is wonderful that we are getting such nice versions of Sleeping Beauty, 20K LOTS, and Roger Rabbit, and so many of the classics, and not-really classics, have gotten fairly decent releases in the past.

DR

5. HB2K

HB2K I Spit Hot Fire!

Or as I like to say

The Walt Disney Company of our Generation!

6. Sarangel

Sarangel <font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<

On the other hand, the footage & menu work had already been done for a Lilo & Stitch 2-disk set and they seem to have cancelled it. There was part of me that was rooting for L&S at the Academies because I thought that might give Disney the impetus to release the 2-disk version they have in the can. I have still not bought the single disk of L&S in protest, even though I love the movie.

It is my hope that Disney will eventually get a clue about their DVD releases, but I expect that it will take a while (as it did with their VHS releases).

Sarangel