Sizzlefest 2006....*New 9/25 DONE*

AD was going to re-live his childhood by riding Space for the first time in many years. He was very concerned about the seating, since he remembered how it was in the 70’s. Suffice it to say that in those days if the person in front of you got jolted back suddenly, and if you were male, you could get hurt!
Patti!!!! Did you read my backstory about my Mom? This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Only as a kid, you could have a blanket of fun-killing over you instead of the pain of being a man.

Great episode. I predict an 8:30 a.m. departure. After a hearty breakfast.

GeorgiaAristocat said:
Patti!!!! Did you read my backstory about my Mom? This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Only as a kid, you could have a blanket of fun-killing over you instead of the pain of being a man.

Great episode. I predict an 8:30 a.m. departure. After a hearty breakfast.

Amy ~ I did read....and I laughed and laughed after I read it......because I had already wrote my space story, just didn't post!!!

BORG baby......see you are funny and didn't know it!!!

YAK - Awesome last day :cool1:

BTW - I see your the Maelstrommer I need to talk to. I got a chance at a 2BDR at the OKW for our quick Oct trip. We've never stayed DVC but the sandcastle slide looks just the thing for my DS.

Yak I can relate with the money thing. Lots of 1 dollar bill left too. My money was always mixed up unlike here we can keep all the same colour together.
That was pretty great thinking about the lost $50. I knew you were kind at heart.

Can't wait for the next installment. Sheri walked though the cobwebs so I knew not to go in .....

Yak - You think we could get together on a couple of things. :teeth:
I never had so much trouble with money as I did in Canada. Tried to always use a credit card but cause I had a MAJOR SNAFU the 1st 2 days I had to use cash. And I had all these coins which meant nothing to me. Too lazy to find out, so I trusted all of Canada to tell me what amounts they were :lmao:

They made great souvies, I told my Gbabies they were gold pieces :teeth:

NAB said:
Yak I can relate with the money thing. Lots of 1 dollar bill left too. My money was always mixed up unlike here we can keep all the same colour together....

NAB - I'm glad I'm not the only Canuck with a wad of ones!!

And the reverse happened when we lived in the US. We'd come home and I leave with bagful of $1's and $2's in my purse!

We Leave the World at…….?

I’m going to start this final chapter of “Sizzlefest” with a non-Disney song, since it was the day we were leaving Walt Disney World.

Should I(we) stay or should I(we) go now?
If I(we) go there will be trouble
And if I(we) stay it will be double :teeth:
So come on and let me know
Should I (we) stay or should I (we) go…

(Should I Stay or Should I go – The Clash)

Should we throw caution to the wind and stay?

For a little longer. Because of last night’s tears?

Or if we go…..what time should we leave???

In AD’s mind we have already left. Or should leave. Now. We’ve got to get on the road. Now. Because. We have too. Right now. Get the kids. Let’s go.

It was time to go…. :sad1:

But, before I tell you exactly what time we left, I go back and tell you something that happened last night.

If you recall, I commented earlier in this report that Disney knows all about the DDP and they will get it back. Well, they didn’t. But very close!

We arrived back at OKW about 9:30pm and I immediately realized that we didn’t use up all the credits on our DDP. If we were to leave when AD was suggesting, we wouldn’t have the opportunity to use up those credits and Disney would in fact get it back!

So I said to AD, “Honey, are you hungry? I’m going over to Goods to Go for a minute”

We had 6 snack and 4 counter credits remaining. Which is shocking because we ate a lot on the DDP!

When I arrived at GtoG it was 10 minutes before closing.

I quickly glanced around for anyone who looked like they could use some free food, because I knew we wouldn’t even begin to finish what I was about to order. The place was pretty much deserted. Except for one lady who I thought had the same idea as me.

So I stepped right up to order food we didn’t need and probably wouldn’t eat, but hey, we paid for it!! I ordered 4 bottles of water and 2 Mickey rice-krispy treats for the snack credits, and 4 hamburgers and all the fixing, plus 2 more water, 2 chocolate milks, and 4 more Mickey treats for desert, for the counter credits. The Woman beside me was astonished!!

I countered her look with, “well, we are leaving tomorrow and I have to use up all the left over credits”

Her look went from astonished to puzzled to sheer horror!

About 40 questions came out of her mouth, all at once. And being the good Disney geek that I am, I calmly explained the in’s and out’s of the DDP. She didn’t have a clue. She thought that if they didn’t use their credits on a particular day, they expired that day. She said they never bothered to use the snack credits. At all!

I know you can all guess what happened next.

Yup, she cleaned GtoG out of Mickey treats right there! And frantically ordered extra food. And drinks. They were leaving the next morning as well.

She thanked me, and I felt better for DDPlanning it forward!

After stuffing ourselves, I helped AD with the last minute cramming of the car so we would be ready to leave at….3am!

AD re-thought the leaving at 3am and said “Let’s leave at 4:30am”

After the kids went to bed and we had a minute to sit, AD said, “maybe we should sleep in a little, and then we can leave at 6am”

(during all this I said nothing, just smiled…)

Guess what?

We left at 7am…..

To Olivia’s…..for breakfast!

We drove away from Old Key West at 8:10am! That’s about the time I planned to leave. Ladies, you just have to let them work it out for themselves!!

The rest of my story is all about the drive, so here is the “by the numbers version”:

8:10am leave WDW
11:24 am – GA Welcome center

DisneyJuly06009.jpg

1 pm – Sonny’s for lunch (somewhere in GA)
9:15 pm – somewhere in Virginia
11:45pm – Overnight stop at Summersville, WV

July 22nd

8:50am – left Summersville, WV

DisneyJuly06005.jpg

2:50pm – arrived at Buffalo airport to pickup AD’s car
3:30pm – cross border to Canada
4:50pm - We’re home!

Time: Approximately 23 hours

Total KM driven: 5,102.8
Total Miles: 3,170.73

And finally, the most important “on the road” observation:

Big Things we saw: (sorry didn't get any pictures!)

Big Indian – Irving NY
Big Peach – Gaffney, SC
Big Peach #2 – Macon, GA
Big Airplane – Ex146 – I-75 GA
Big Rocket – Ex 101 - I-75 GA
Big Peanut – X80 – I-75 GA
Big Baseball – Charlotte, NC

Because why else would they put these big things up along the interstate? For us to look at and report back to you!

Up next: Epilogue

Early each day to the steps of Saint Paul’s
The little old bird woman comes.
In her own special way to the people she calls,
“Come buy my bags full of crumbs.
Come feed the little birds, show them you care
And you’ll be glad if you do.
Their young ones are hungry,
Their nests are so bare;
All it takes is tuppence from you.”
Feed the birds, tuppence a bag.
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag.
“Feed the birds,” that’s what she cries,
While overhead, her birds fill the skies.
All around the cathedral the saints and apostles
Look down as she sells her wares.
Although you can’t see it, you know they are smiling
Each time someone show that he cares.
Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she’s calling to you:
“Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag.”

(Feed the Birds – Mary Poppins)

I start my Epilogue with this song, not because every time I hear it, I get teary eyed. (which is a good way to end a fabulous trip!) but because it really sums up my feelings about WDW and all things Disney.

Let me explain.

Mary Poppins is my Mother’s all time favourite movie. She has passed this love of the movie on to my daughter. It has become her favourite as well and something she shares with her grandmother.

A little thing.

One night we were watching “Making of Mary Poppins”. The bonus material is included in the 40th Anniversary edition. The Composer of the song, “Feed the Birds” was discussing the fact that this was Walt Disney’s favourite song.

I thought about this.

I then had an epiphany.

A realization.

I knew why I loved all things Disney.

Why I became a “Disneyholic”

And why is it so important to me to visit The World as much as I can.

We all have our reasons, but to me Disney is all about being something really special.

Spending special times with family.

Suggesting to the Anti-Disney husband that we need to visit Disney again!. Even though he isn’t really “into” Disney, he went for me! He get’s it on his level.

It’s the happiness he feels when he see's the looks on our children’s faces at The World. Or the sadness when the tears come when we have to leave.

Or special times with new friends. Which is why I made such a big effort to get down again in September to meet up with a bunch of crazy Vikings whom I met right here on the DISboards!

But Disney is much bigger than just a theme park.

To see a Disney movie or cartoon as a young child was a very special treat.

I was a child in the 1960's, before VCR's and DVD's

I remember watching “Donald Duck in Math Magicland” for the first time in Grade 3 or 4. I was blown away! And I loved learning and singing the songs to many Disney movies during music class.

I remember the last day of school fondly. Not just because it was the last day, but because in the afternoon of the last day we all got to go to the Gym and watch a Disney movie. The movie I remember the most was Mary Poppins. I was about 7 or 8 years old and it made a lasting impression on me!

And sitting down on Sunday evening with the entire family to watch, “The Wonderful World of Disney” on television.

The little things.

The first time I went to Walt Disney World at age 15 it was magical!

A big thing! Huge!

It was explained in the “Making of….” That the ultimate message of the song “Feed the Birds” was, “it’s the small things in life that makes us happy”.

Feed the birds was Walt Disney’s favourite song.

I get it.

The small things

It’s also about charity.

“Giving somebody something they didn’t ask for but they could use.”

And this is part of what it’s all about, what Walt did for us. We didn’t ask, but could use the magic of Disney in thousands of different ways.

Disney is an impression.

Disney is a feeling you get

Disney conjures up so many memories.

Disney is practically perfect in every way.

We went to Disney in July. It was very crowded. People were having melt downs all over the place. Sometimes it got ugly. But it doesn’t have to be.
And it wasn't for us!

It was hot....be prepared. Read the Boards. You'll have a great time! We did!

And, dear readers if you take anything away from my little trip report please let it be this:

When you are at the World, be nice, pay it forward, be happy, have an adventure, don’t let the little things bother you, smile, laugh, sing, do small things to make it an even better place than it is, make family memories, be nice to the CM’s, be nice to everyone you encounter – even the nasty ones, talk to people, and most important, be charitable.

It’s a little thing.

Listen, listen she’s calling to you.

Feed the Birds…..

And as Walt said after hearing his favourite song,

“Yup, that’s what it’s all about”

Thanks so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did putting it to computer! ;)

Final word: Something magical happened when we returned. I’m thrilled to report that it won’t be another 78 years until we visit Disney again. We have an opportunity to go to France next year with some good friends. And guess where we are planning on visiting while there…….Disneyland Paris!!

Let the planning begin…… :mickeyjum

YAK Just getting in practice :banana:

You crack me up!!! I notice all this crap on the highway!!! And talk about it years later, like somebodies crazy Grammy. Ooopsie, that might not be the right word.

Gram - cause I need to practice listening, too

Yakkity Yak!!!

WOMAN!!!

Great report bay-bee!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

See ya real soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me quote me:
GeorgiaAristocat on 9-19 said:
I predict an 8:30 a.m. departure. After a hearty breakfast.
Let me quote you:
Yzma and Kronk 10:34 this morning said:
We left at 7am…..
To Olivia’s…..for breakfast!
We drove away from Old Key West at 8:10am!
Do I win a prize???????

Patti ~
loved the epilogue. Words of wisdom to carry with me next week!

Thanks so much for the wonderful report, I hope you write another about your Viking adventures!

Amy

GeorgiaAristocat said:
Let me quote me:

Let me quote you:

Do I win a prize???????

All prizes to be handed out at the Hippy Dippy! :thumbsup2

~~see you next week!

Awwwwwww YAK,

You made me cry. Cause I get it.

Thank you for sharing your trip and family.

Now get ready for your next trip and have a drink for me at the hippy dippy
and hug Mickey for me.

Erin

YAK (you will be forever Yak to me and Grammy), I am humming Feed the Birds and setting it to Disney visuals thanks to you. This is an excellent way to sum up the Dis-love! It's just right. Does AD agree to a return trip? I bet he does. If you don't convince him, the kids will. The breakdown in Epcot is icing on THAT cake.

Or special times with new friends. Which is why I made such a big effort to get down again in September to meet up with a bunch of crazy Vikings whom I met right here on the DISboards!
Oh yeah Bay-bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving 3000+ miles. Unbelievable. I got tired just typing it.

And, dear readers if you take anything away from my little trip report please let it be this:

When you are at the World, be nice, pay it forward, be happy, have an adventure, don’t let the little things bother you, smile, laugh, sing, do small things to make it an even better place than it is, make family memories, be nice to the CM’s, be nice to everyone you encounter – even the nasty ones, talk to people, and most important, be charitable.

Great wisdom from a great person.

Thanks for the report, Patti.

It has been a treat. And it was so nice to meet you back on that hot July day at Sonny's.

Have a great time this weekend!!

NM :sunny:

YAK!

Just finished reading the rest of your report and I am sitting here doing the Charlie Brown lip thing. Again.

Everything you said in your epilogue is true. Hope you have a GREAT time this weekend meeting the rest of the Vikings!

LY/MI!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter