Sizzlefest 2006....*New 9/25 DONE*

eeyore45 said:
*sigh, i really should stay out of the Trip Report forum - I just get so jealous... of the friendships!! I feel left out!! I want to do a search for plutopants and I want to join all y'all - you seem like such a fun loving, friendly group of dis'ers!!! I want to join in here and there - but alas, I'm just a wannabee....

Thanks eeyore45! Come on over to the Maelstromers. We LOVE new people. We vikings are a very welcoming bunch. Come and give us a try.

If you want to see the "pictorial" version of Plutopants start here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1120233&page=516&pp=15

Post #7740, 7742, 7745, 7746, 7747, 7748

Page 520, post #7787 and #7788

Enjoy!

Sher - It's true. Me no like wet bums. Mine or others!! Ooot and abooot!

Amy - I'll get you the "official" driving directions from DH to avoid $$$$

Grammy, KittyKitty and Frickles: Thanks for stopping by.

Here is the next installment.....

Day 3 – Friday July 14th.

Changing hotels, La Nouba and Extra Magic…..not!

What do the ghost’s at the Haunted Mansion eat for breakfast?
- Bagels and Scream cheese, of course!

Have you read Buzz Lightyear’s new book about anti gravity?
- you can’t put it down.

Pal Mickey……you gotta love him!

Whatever you do, I’ll do it too
Show me everything and tell me how
It all means something
And yet nothing to me

I can tell there’s so much to learn
It’s all so close and yet so far
I see myself as people see me
Oh, I just know there’s something bigger out there.

(Strangers Like Me – Tarzan)

This is AD’s first full day at Disney and he’s a happy camper because we are movin’ on up to Downtown Disney! A deluxe hotel in the sky.

It’s not that he didn’t like POP. He thought it was OK. Just OK.
I guess that’s OK. Just OK.

However, this particular day started out reinforcing why AD doesn’t really like the Disney experience.

We decided to go to the POP Food Court (by the Hippy Dippy :lmao: pool ) for breakfast. We had been to the FC for a snack the night before and the experience was fine.

However, I knew this was coming. I read it on the DIS. How busy the FC gets at breakfast. And it was. Like Grand Central Station! And I could have counted the minutes before AD would have a meltdown and want to leave.

So, we split up with the kids to get the particular breakfast items they wanted. We met up at the cash area. For those of you who haven’t been to the POP, the FC consists of a number of stations where you can select difference items, then you proceed to the cash area. Each cash had at least 5 people standing in line on this particular morning. I decided to head for a line in hopes of making this as quick as possible. But as fate would have it, I got behind a lady who had a real big problem with her dining credits and had major trouble explaining her problem to the CM who was trying her best to accommodate this lady and get the line moving. It was all because of one banana.

Again as fate would have it, this took at least 20 minutes…..I kid you not. Why didn’t we move? We couldn’t there were too many people all around us. We were stuck and AD’s blood pressure was raising by the second. He just about threw a $5. bill at “Banana Woman” to get the line moving but didn’t (AD’s bark is worse than his bite)
Finally, Banana Woman got what she wanted and three families enjoyed a rather cold breakfast!

To POP FC management: Could we please have a separate line for dining credit disputes when it is busy…..thanks! Maybe a DDP Customer Service Desk. Is that asking too much?

Anyway, after breakfast we walked around the hotel and took a few pictures. We packed up and checked out around 10am.

Overall rating on POP – 2 thumbs up for me and the kids loved it. AD – you already know what he thought :teeth:

We drove over to the Crossroad’s area just beyond Downtown Disney to get some supplies and lunch. There are ample chain restaurants in this area, so we decided on Macaroni Grill, a favourite from of Livin’in Georgia days.

After lunch we figured it was an appropriate time to try to check into the Downtown Disney Hilton. All the way there DS started talking exactly like Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as in “Daddy, I want a squirrel”

DS: “Oh Muth-are, are we going to the fancy hotel?”
Me: Yes, Jack
DS: “Since we are staying in the fancy hotel, I’m going to talk like this all day”
Me: OK, Jack. Just don’t ask me for a squirrel.

I started having a mild anxiety attack at this point, because we were in fact, going to stay off site. I don’t do off site. I don’t like off site. Opposites attract though – AD loves off site. So, we compromised on Downtown Disney Hilton.

AD is a VIP Gold Hilton Honors member with a wonderful knack for getting upgrades without really asking. The man astounds me with that gift! He gets upgraded at airports, hotels, etc. A lot! I never do. So, we checked into the “fancy hotel” in a Junior Suite/Concierge. Woo-hoo, the Suite Life!! Fancy, indeed!

The rooms are very nice and darn it if our view wasn’t of DTD, Epcot and we could even see “wishes” at MK in the distance!

After unpacking, a quick swim and a clean up we were off to see “La Nouba”

La Nouba was excellent. Being Canadian I know all about Cirque du Sole, as they originated in Canada. The kids were really looking forward to this, and it was everything we expected and more. I highly recommend it.

A little vent here: I don’t understand people who spend good money on something and don’t take the time to read what they are spending their dollars on. There was a nice, delightful family (not) in front of us who didn’t look very thrilled to be there. They thought it would be just like a “stupid circus” And I think they did. Too bad, it was fabulous! And I’m sure had the Brazilian teenagers been there they would have chanted like there is no tomorrow. So, I’m not going to tell you about the details of La Nouba. Do the research and go. You won’t regret it!

Also, you can eat food while watching, just in case you get the start time wrong and don’t have time to eat before :rolleyes: ……whoops! Popcorn and soft drinks, with twizzlers on the side - excellent dinner!

After La Nouba we walked around DTD, and decided to get a bite to eat at Bongo’s.
I’m apologize to those who have enjoyed Bongo’s but we just didn’t like it. We are adventurous diners, but I guess Cuban is just not our thing. Enough said.

After Bongo’s we planned to head over to MK for the extra magic hours. DTD Hilton is the only “off-site” hotel that Disney allows to have the perk of EMH……I was releaved, with that perk we can’t possibly be considered “off-site” (or can we???)

It was about 9:30pm when we entered the gates and ran smack into the end of Spectromagic Parade. We watched from the steps of City Hall and were pleasantly surprised to find a wrist band station there.

A helpful hint: They have many wrist band stations all over the Park, so you really don’t have to stand in line to get one. The one at the turn stiles was about 100 people long and at City Hall it was empty.

After using the “walk through the shops” strategy to avoid the Parade crowd, we headed straight for Adventureland to finish off the Mountains. We stopped by Pirates since we missed it the other day. I am a big pirates fan. It was my WOW ride exactly 30 years ago at my first visit to The World.

I still enjoy this ride and everything about it. It's just like they say about your first time…….on a Disney ride that is! It stays with you. The upgrades were cool and loved seeing Captain Jack!

AD was complaining now because the Cuban stuff didn’t really do it for him, so I suggested to get a bite at Peco’s since we thought it was pretty good the day before. The kids and I went to watch Wishes, while AD waited, and waited, and waited at Peco’s to get food. Apparently, the staff were all watching Wishes too!

Suffice it to say that AD didn’t like Peco’s as he christened it “Peco’s Dog Food”. I however learned something at Peco’s while visiting the restroom:

“Hand washing Tips by Sparkle”

Wet hands.
Apply Soap
Rub hands
Rinse.

I kid you not! These tips are posted in many of the MK restrooms.

Watch for them………..incase you forget!!!

Anyway, back to EMH……we stepped out of Peco’s at 10:30pm to a crowd that would rival the World Cup finals!

I thought back 30 years in time to when I was 16 and recalled that the park (only MK was there then) was opened until 1am and it was GREAT because all the little kids left after the fireworks and the park was virtually empty in the evening. I have very fond memories of this. But apparently the years have clouded my concept of how it really was, because as a teenage I doubt if I even noticed that there were crowds (unless they were Brazilian teenage boys… :teeth: ) This night, it was crowded.

I certainly didn’t take into consideration that it was a Friday Night and I’m sure the thousands of Brazilian teenagers weren’t looking to leave after the fireworks either. Plus I imagine the other “gazillon” on site guests, plus DTDHilton ones had the same idea!

We couldn’t get near The Mountains. Line ups were long for HM, Peter Pan and the other favourites. We did get into Philharmagic without much wait, but by this time the kidlets were having mini-meltdowns because hot+tired+crowds+late hours do not always add up to Disney Magic! After Phil (which I loved) we decided to leave. Just in time!
A Disneyholic always knows when its time to leave!!

Sorry, The Whirlwinds, we are not ;)

Up next: Sleeping and Soarin’

Can not wait to hear more! And just in time for my trip next week! :cool1:

Augh!! I think your DS needs to watch the original (and best!) version of Willy Wonka, so he can say, "Daddy, I want a golden goose! I want a golden goose that lays golden eggs!"

Then he can sing, "I want the world, I want the whole world! I want to wrap it all up in my pocket, it's my bar of chocolate, give it to me nooooooow!"

Ahhh, Veruca Salt. You've gotta love her. The original one, I mean.

Anyway, loving your trip report!! :thumbsup2

YAK ~
ahhhh, the arrival of the AD. You know, I am taking mine with me from the beginning.

I'm working hard on the conversion. I think he will always, unfortunately, fall into the "like" rather than "love" category. But maybe the Princess has a shot of tipping the scales! There's always hope . . .

YAK - Cirque - My DH LOVES :love: it. We have traveled many times just to see a new version somewhere. Fantastic!!!!!!!

The washing of the hands :rotfl: When I was teaching Home Ec we actually had an entire chapter on this very subject. Very intense stuff!!!! Part of the midterm and final included this. :lmao: :lmao: Who knew it was so hard.

My GD has it down to a science. No textbook required. Wet hands, apply soap, wash top and bottoms while singing the ABC song. Rinse well. Use paper towel to dry and open door from public restroom. Drop towel in trash. Preschool 101 :rotfl2:

Just read from top to bottom (no not a wet one :teeth: )
Loving every minute of it!

The songs thing really got me. Every trip we ever took with my parents was musical. As a child of the 70s my voyages were intwined with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, Freddie Fender (whose parents are these??) and various country hits, all on 8track.

Looking forward to reading more! :banana:

Yak - We :love: Cirque. Finally spent the $$ this time to see the "circus" that I wasn't quite sure my son would like and he ended up glued to it the entire time. It was worth every penny to see the glow on his face and I'm pretty sure it was the only time he wasn't yakken the whole trip :rolleyes:

Day 4 – Saturday July 15

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!
My, oh my what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine, leading my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!

We slept in today!......zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Until 11am……zip-a-dee-ay!

At Disney!

For those of you who are disgusted with this notion……please feel free to put me on ignore But keep reading……..please.

AD didn’t sleep in. He gets up early. He’s type A-AD. But he is really good about being quiet and having his “super model” breakfast alone. (Coffee and a smoke!) Plus he likes to chat with strangers at hotels. Not in a weird way. A friendly way.
So, he’s good to wait until we get up.

Around noon we decided to head over to The Boardwalk to find a place for lunch.

We parked across the street from the BW Hotel, and walked through it. I was careful to avoid the “Clown Barfing Slide” area…. :scared:

We decided on ESPN Club and it was a hit! AD really enjoyed the place. It wasn’t busy and they also had playstation at the booths for the kids. They were able to get their fix!! Whoopty-Do, Basil!

Also, did I mention that AD is watching his carbs? It makes for interesting ordering at restaurants, just like a scene from “Harry Met Sally”

No not that one…..shame on you, dear readers…..the apple pie scene!

ESPN has non-breaded chicken wings and this makes AD very happy!
Lunch was good, atmosphere excellent and Happy Cokes, brilliant (R&C….hee-hee)

After lunch we decided to take the boat to Epcot. We were going to walk but the Boardwalk is really hot during the middle of the day in July. It’s the boards. They are light coloured. Like sand in the desert. This is why the Boardwalk was virtually empty on a Saturday afternoon in July! Major Sizzlefest!

We arrived at the International Gateway in Epcot and who is standing there but Chuck and Da…..ooops Chip and Dale. And a designated Disney smoking area.

We were having a good day!

(aside: please don’t judge AD……he is trying to quit. I have never smoked. Never. So I don’t comment. He knows. And he is very very courteous to non-smokers and does his smoking privately. Enough said.)

We walked over to The Land to grab fast passes for Soarin’ before they were gone. We arrived at 2:54pm for a return time of 6:54 to 7:54pm. So plan your Epcot day accordingly.

With the Soarin’ FP’s we got bonus FP’s. Maybe Disney feels bad that you have to wait so long for Soarin’ that they give you this bonus. It was a 5:45pm FP to Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Bonus! Alas, it wasn’t to be, because the kids really weren’t sure they wanted to see HISTA (knowledge sometimes isn’t a good thing….) so I just Fast-passed-it-forward to a young couple we saw in another line. They were thrilled.
Please, if you have FP’s you aren’t going to use pass them on. Make someone’s day!

We then went over to Innovations (East and West) because the kids love it here. It’s like a hands-on science museum. They have many interactive games and benches for adults to sit and take a rest. Plus, we were in air conditioned comfort! DD particularly loves the racing game where you are a Disney Character and you race three others to collect the most ice cream cones. They did that one three times. They have many computer stations with games, even Millionaire! We played a game called, “Where is the Fire” in which the family can participate.

After innovations we walked over to Test Track to see if we could get on. Finally. This was our fourth time trying to ride Test Track. Each time it closed suddenly due to rain or whatever. If you are at TT, ride it if you can because you never know. The wait was posted at about 45 minutes but in reality it was only 20. The single rider line was empty. This ride was really cool. You really have to do it twice. The fast part goes real fast, all I kept thinking was, “again, again”. Stacey was right. Instant face lift!

We passed on Mission Space. DD has “been there, done it” and DS was a little apprehensive about it. I definitely didn’t want to ride, so we passed. We don’t stress over missing rides because I know that it gives us a reason to return!

We still had time before our Soarin’ FP’s so we stopped by Customer Service to see if there were any ADR’s available for dinner. I did this because we are “table service” people and wanted to avoid walking all around in 100F heat, looking for a cool place to eat. CM, James from Paris was extremely nice and helpful and got us a ADR at Biergarten in about 30 minutes.

We set out walking and sweating to Germany!

Biergarten is a buffet restaurant with live entertainment by way of a German “Oompah-pa” band. I felt like I was at Oktoberfest!

And I’ve been. Not in Germany but we live very near the city which hosts the largest Bavarian Festival in North America. Yup, Kitchener, Ontario – a little piece of Germany in Canada.

Anyway, we were seated with the “non-Oompah-pa” family, who didn’t say a word to us and as much as AD tried, not even a oomp! You see, at Beirgarten, like Oktoberfest you are seated at long tables and chances are you will be sitting with people you don’t know. Have fun and meet some new friends! We didn’t. We tried. Oh well. Ein Prosit. Zicke, zacke, zicke, zacke, hoi, hoi, hoi.

We were now within our Soarin’ FP time, so we hoofed it back to The Land. We did the silent, “na-na-na-boo-boo” FP wave while passing the “stand-byers”

All I’ll say is this ride is our new FAVOURITE. Or, FAVORITE for those in the “other” spelling zone. Major WOW factor for me.

It’s the best! Eight thumbs way up!!!

Get your fastpasses and proceed to Soarin’. You won’t be disappointed.

By now AD has had his Disney fill, and there was no need to stay for Illuminations because we have a surprise in store for later in the week.

We walked back to International gateway and to The Boardwalk.

The Boardwalk was hopping with many buskers and entertainers. We stopped and watched for awhile then headed back to our deluxe hotel in the sky.

To watch Illuminations from the comfort of our hotel room. And free stuff from the concierge!

Up next: Lazin’ on a Sunday Afternoon.

Day 5 – Sunday July 16

Ain’t it a glorious day?
Right as a mornin’ in May
I feel like I could fly
‘ave you ever seen
The grass so green?
Or a bluer sky?
Oh, it’s a jolly holiday

With you YAK….

(as sung by my dear AD…..because I planned a no-park-do-whatever-AD-wants-to-do-day)

So, we slept in again……I know y’all are really hating me now.

We took advantage of the breakfast in the concierge. Swam. Watched Stacey. Yes, she is on at the not-so-off-site, off-site hotel.

While the kids lounged around the hotel, I straightened up – I can’t stand a messy hotel room- when we discovered that DD’s Nintendo DS (hand held game system) was missing. The whole thing, her case and about 5 very expensive games. After a minor freak-out, I thought I’d try POP to see if maybe, just maybe, we left it in our room. In my dreams!

A very nice CM transferred me to housekeeping that informed me that “Marie” found it while cleaning and turned it in!! Many thanks to Marie!!!.
They asked if we would like them to courier it home to us, but I said we were still here and would come by and pick it up later that day.

AD was impressed. Not quite enough to stay there again, but impressed just the same.

Whoo-hoo, tragedy avoided.

Around noon we decided to try one of the restaurants at the Hilton, “Covington Mill” It was a coffee/sandwich shop type restaurant. While we were sitting waiting for our food, it seemed like a fleet of helicopters flew by. I didn’t think anything of this, but then it happened again. It wasn’t helicopters it was the noise coming from the 2nd floor hotel laundry room! I’m not sure the Hilton family would be pleased! It was too funny!

After lunch AD wanted to check out the Outlet Mall. The kids didn’t. We went anyway because as all good Canadians know, we must outlet shop when on vacation in Florida. Funny, because AD really doesn’t like to shop unless it’s in Florida at the Outlet. We made it to two stores. A shoe store and the Disney one. Then we left. Got our fix. That’s all we needed.

We then drove over to POP and retrieved DD’s DS.

We resisted the urge to pool hop and refill our mugs…..hee-hee just kidding.

Then over to Downtown Disney to do a little more shopping…..huh…..who stole my husband???? Actually he was avoiding the parks and this was as close to Disney he wanted to come today and keep me happy.

It was about 4pm and as it does pretty much everyday, the heavens opened up. We waited it out in the Lego store, which thrilled DD. He loves Lego. So he spent some of his “grandma” money there.

Since it was AD’s day to set the itinerary, he chose to go to an off-site restaurant for dinner. Surprise, surprise. I wanted to go to Fulton’s or Earl of Sandwich, but it was his day.

We went back to Crossroads and ate at Uno. It was fairly good Italian food. Off site.

After dinner we went back to the hotel to swim and watch Illuminations from our window, again.

Oh, well.

It wasn’t a very Disney day.

It was AD’s day.

A good day.

And that’s OK.

Up next: Back to The World. And OKW.

Yak - My DS has a Nintendo DS - his little case probably holds about $500 smackers of electronics. Very scary when that little jewel goes missing. Major :wizard: that it got turned in!!!!!!!!!!!

Yzma and Kronk said:
Forword:

It's gonna be HOT HOT HOT. Who cares....I'm Canadian. I hate winter. If it's too hot, I'll just remember how I felt mid-January during a nice icey Northern blizzard. That should do it! Or, just bring my squeezy fan. No worries!
[/I]

Loved your post. Being from Buffalo, I know how you feel about winter and snow. It'll only be in the low 90s when we go. Not too bad. have a fun time. BTW, can you recite the monorail warnings is Spanish?

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Well, instead of my laundry... I started this.

I'm OUT THERE, YAK, and I'm LOVIN' IT!

I mean: I'M IN, YAK! And I'm lovin' it!

I'm jealous of the mini-meet. And all that. But... I'll deal.

It is good to see 'ol Viking Pluto. Again.

Keep truckin'!

Cheers, Mel.

:moped: :thumbsup2

P.S. Nice TITLE!

Thanks Mel! :blush:

Wow I won over the laundry! Excellent!

I'm not worthy :worship: I'll try to make ya proud!

ntsam - 90's....better bring a sweater.... ;) I do not complain about hot/summer, ever!

Minnie - that's what I was thinking. How many $$$$ was in that case!

Thanks everyone for reading!

Day 6 should be up soon!

"We did the silent, “na-na-na-boo-boo” FP wave while passing the 'stand-byers'”

Come on, Yak, admit it.

You also were doing the run-walk. You were. Weren't you?? You know you were. :teeth:

Yak! I love the way that you do a song at the start of each chapter. I forgot to tell you that B4.

Keep the sizzle-fest moving along!

I'm loving this... keep it coming!!! Sitting here in my PJ's instead of getting on with my day, laughing away at the computer. My DH thinks I'm nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzma and Kronk
Forword:
It's gonna be HOT HOT HOT. Who cares....I'm Canadian. I hate winter. If it's too hot, I'll just remember how I felt mid-January during a nice icey Northern blizzard. That should do it! Or, just bring my squeezy fan. No worries!
[/I]

We are going in February... I keep reading about hand warmers scarfs, and hats for the parades/fireworks, and I'm thinking we've sat in a snow bank to watch the Santa Claus parade in November here, I think I can handle a 7pm parade in Florida in February!!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter