Size restrictions on Universal rides - annoying!

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by loveshak22, Feb 6, 2013.

1. funkbucket007

funkbucket007 Incinerate

Exactly. I'm 6' 4", 250 lbs. and have fit on everything on Universal property. On Hulk (and the other coasters), I may only get two or so "clicks" on the shoulder restraint but have plenty of seatbelt slack. Unfortunately, due to differing body types, there won't ever be an easy answer to this.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BrinkofSunshine

BrinkofSunshine DIS Veteran

I'm sure the manufacturers and Universal have done their best to try and accommodate larger guests. However, every machine has its limits. The vehicles are KUKA robotic arms. They're not supported by a track like a roller coaster is. The individual robotic arm is responsible for the full force of the weight. It's a revolutionary ride system, and it's unfortunate that not everyone can experience it; but I think it is what it is.

The great thing that has come of it, though, has been people changing their lives and losing weight to be able to fit on this ride. I think that's incredible.

4. Jules123

Jules123 Mouseketeer

My BF and I are visiting in May. He is a big guy 6'4, 320 lbs and he is currently trying to lose weight to fit on the ride. Every time he wants to eat something fattening, we chant "Harry Potter Harry Potter". It's working, he's already lost 26 lbs over the last 2 months! :))

5. BrinkofSunshine

That's awesome! Best of luck to him in reaching his goal!

6. damo

damo Proud Redhead

That's great!!!

We've had so many people talk about how they have changed their lifestyle to try to be able to ride more rides at Universal. It really does seem to be a good motivator.

loveshak22...no matter what Universal put in as a ride, there would always be a segment of the population that was not happy. Whether it be too spinny (Cat in the Hat) or bumpy (Spiderman) or fast (Hulk, Dragon Challenge)or 3D (Shrek, Terminator, Despicable Me, Gringott's) or have scary parts (FJ) or be too mild (High in the Sky Trolley) or boring (Twister) or too much simulation (Simpsons, Shrek, Despicable Me, FJ) or too many roller coasters (Mummy, RRR, Gringott's, DC, Hulk) or scenes that are too dark or bright (FJ, Spiderman), or too wet (Popeye and Dudley and Jurassic Park) or too loud (music around the parks) or that it causes motion sickness(Forbidden Journey, Simpsons, Spiderman), or not themed enough (Dr. Doom, Storm Force Acceletron), that there is a height limitation (Pterandon Flyers), use of strobe lights (many of them) or that you can't ride with a prosthetic limb (Dragon Challenge) it wouldn't please everyone. They made a decision as to what they wanted and judging by the number of people that go through that ride every day, it seems to be impressing many people. You can't please everyone. I feel sorry for anyone who can't ride any ride for whatever reason but that's life.

7. schumigirl

schumigirl It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Best of luck to him.........and congrats on his weight loss already.

That is a good incentive :goodvibes

8. book_junkie

book_junkie DIS Veteran

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... Looks like I will be walking around enjoying the scenery- I doubt I will fit with the way I'm shaped...

Oh well... :thumbsup2

9. Jaymie

Jaymie DIS Veteran

I'm 5'2" and about 130 lbs and when I rode FJ earlier this month with my 8 yr old, I was told I had to sit on the outside. Could it be a balance thing? Because I'm pretty small but I was bigger than any one else in my little cart. The same thing happend to my husband who's smaller as well.

10. damo

damo Proud Redhead

Make sure you ask to do the castle tour. You do a queue at your leisure and then exit without riding.

11. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

They probably just didn't want your 8 year old on the outside. I know MY 8 year old wouldn't want to be on the outside! :)

12. disneyfanatic4ever

disneyfanatic4ever Earning My Ears

We were there in August and they were testing modified seating for the Harry Potter Ride. I was not able to ride the regular ride due to my size. A BIG BUMMER! They were randomly selecting riders to test the new modified seats. I wish they would have asked me.

I was able to ride Hulk and Dragon Challenge due to those having the modified seating. I could not however ride the Rock It roller coaster. Bummer again!

Apparently, they were really close to getting the harness to a "safe position"... Maybe next time if I lose some weight... :thumbsup2

13. BrinkofSunshine

The Harry Potter ride has had modified seating on every vehicle for a few years now. They were probably just asking riders to test the seat to make sure they were comfortable :thumbsup2

Good luck with getting on next time! Lots of people have had success with that.

14. nerdboyrockstar

nerdboyrockstar <font color=purple>Mouseketeer<br><font color=gree

Is there a test seat for Modified Seating outside the ride now?

My friend was a no-go back at opening (she's a bigger girl with DD breast size which definitely do not help) but I want her to give it a try again next month. Have the new seats helped a lot with letting on the big ***** committee?

15. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

For Forbidden Journey? It's a matter of what color shows up on the seat outside the ride. I think if it shows yellow then you head to the modified seats. If it shows green you're good to go. Red, nope.

People want to wear tight clothes that bind them up to fit better, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Wearing looser clothes that allow the body to move when pressed seems to work better when you're borderline. So while your friend might have an instinct to wear the steel undergarments for "minimizing" purposes, it might be best to wear softer under and over clothing.