Six "Rules" for Leisure Travel

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Dave_from_Marietta, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Dave_from_Marietta

Dave_from_Marietta DIS Veteran

Joe Brancatelli, a columnist at <a href="http://www.biztravel.com">biztravel.com</a> whose work I regularly read, offers a column this week with six "rules" for leisure tourists. His advice would be well taken by DCL cruisers. Here's an excerpt:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BigLou

BigLou DVC Member - VWL

Everyone who thinks this won't happen or they can "swing it"?

My business partner, his DW, DS10, and DD6 were on a RCI cruise in the Western Carib - she became VERY sick on board - Ship doctor told them she MUST leave the ship in Cozumel. Ambulance in Cozumel takes her to "hospital", which was dirty, crawling with ants, etc. He and the kids leave all luggage on ship, arrive at "hospital" wher "doctor" (who came in the room SMOKING) informs him she has appendicitis/perotinitis and must be operated on IMMEDIATELY or she will die! One look at the facilities convinced him to call an air ambulance service to evac'ed her (but not him and kids) to San Antonio (where she was diagnosed with FOOD POISONING!). He had to arrange his own flights (to Houston, then drive to SA) on his own. Charged everything to his American Express card. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. He fought with his med insurance company, RCI, and Amex for 2 years over this.

4. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

Point taken!!!

5. happylady

happylady Mouseketeer

BigLou - So what happened? Did he win?

6. Mrs.BigLou

Mrs.BigLou Earning My Ears

When the bill came, he tried to reason with Amex - they said "tought luck, pay us". He did pay them, then started the fight with RCI and insurance co. He contended that the only place she could have gotten food poisoning was on the ship, RCI denied it was from their food, said she must have gotten sick by eating something on one of the port excursions. Read your ticket contract carefully they told him. Tough luck.

The bottom line was that the insurance company ended up remitting about $1,000 for the medical care on the ship and in Cozumel, and he was stuck for $9,000.

7. Mjasp

Mjasp DIS Veteran

Thanks Dave. I found this interesting, think others who haven't read it, may think so also.

8. Dave_from_Marietta

Dave_from_Marietta DIS Veteran

Thanks. I especially like #5.

9. din

din <font color=009933>Former Ohio North Coast Residen

Like Dave I like number 5 too and we can honestly say that in all our visits at WDW, we have seen it all. We take a really slow leasuire pace.

10. Judgekw

Judgekw Earning My Ears

Great advice! Thanks for the info.

11. GoodStepMom

GoodStepMom Earning My Ears

As always, your posts and advice are the best!