Sister switched resorts on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with ChrisAlli and the others, get off line and go talk to her now.

swilshire said:
OK ... can somebody find the other thread that is probably from the sister? I remember reading one recently where the sister wanted to change resorts and was afraid to hurt the other sister's feelings. The vote was split, but most felt that she should switch resorts if she really wanted to and that it's not a bad thing to stay in separate resorts.

You can still do fun things together. You can also enjoy your time apart.

I've been in similar situations where I've been disappointed that my in-laws didn't want to spend as much time with my family as I had hoped (particularly when I was footing the bill) but life goes on.

Please don't let this ruin your vacation or your family relationship. Life's too short.

Sheila
Here is the other thread from the Op who was going to stay at the ASMu with her sis but longed for a deluxe instead.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=894675
A lot of Dis people said she should stay at the resort she wanted and let her sis stay at ASMu.
I posted all the fun things about ASMu
and she PM'ed me yesterday saying thanks for the info and was probaly going to stay at ASMu and get a Character meal with the money she saved.

Honeybug I am so sorry this happened to you. :grouphug: Hugs for you and your family.

Does your sis go Disney often?
It seems to me a lot of Dis people who have stayed at a deluxe in Disney
say the could NEVER stay at a VALUE. They often refer to it as a Motel Six.

Well, I am 55 years old and travel several times a year. I often stay at 4 star hotels.
So the deluxe resorts do not have anything special for me.
All Star is like being in the heart of the Magic and that is where I want to be.

I have also heard lots of great things from people who have stayed at POP.
Those giant icons are so Disney. The pools are themed. Your kids will have lots of fun.
Your sis just probally feels sad and thinks that she "CAN'T be HAPPY" unless she stays at a deluxe.
If that is the case you should feel sorry for your sister because she really is missing out. POP is a fun resort and her kids would have loved it. All the cousins could have had a lot of fun together but she chose the Poly for her own reasons.Maybe you need to ask her why she chose Poly over POP.
I have visited WDW more than a dozen times with the 1st time in Oct. 1971. It was brand new. I've stayed at FW, Disney Inn, a few the of Hotels on hotel Blvd., CBR and the towers at the Contemporary. I got to see the MK from my balcony at the Contemporary and I'm happy I got to experience it once.
The first time I went to the ALL Stars I went with my sis because it was within her budget, And we so much fun. Since then It has become my favorite.
My last 4 visits have been at The All Stars and this fall when we take dd,dsil, and our grandson age 3 we are staying at the All Stars Music. I thought about AKL and even though we can well afford AKL I just wanted Alex to experience the Disney Magic at the All Stars on his first visit.

So I say go to POP and have lots of fun. Your kids will love it there.
I don't know what you should say to your sister but you need to let her know what you found out sooner than later.
Maybe you might want to share this thread with her.
Enjoy your trip to Disney and take a look at the thread from the other poster.
Linda ::MinnieMo

If I went on a WDW vacation with my sister, my head would explode. If I went on a WDW vacation with my sister with connecting rooms in the same hotel...don't know...what's worse than having your head explode? Maybe she thought it was far too much togetherness, and I wholeheartedly agree. Stay at different resorts, enjoy your together times and enjoy your apart times.

I would say that this is a suprise for you and your family and if they haven't said anything even when paying them it is a great gesture on thier part. They know you can't afford those accomodations and they can and they want to splurg and give you guys a treat staying in a resort you may otherwise never stay in. I know we have done this for family also they weren't hurt by it but very suprised and thanked us. Just take it for what it is a nice upgrade and a very great gesture from your sister and BIL.

CharlesTD said:
I would say that this is a suprise for you and your family and if they haven't said anything even when paying them it is a great gesture on thier part. They know you can't afford those accomodations and they can and they want to splurg and give you guys a treat staying in a resort you may otherwise never stay in. I know we have done this for family also they weren't hurt by it but very suprised and thanked us. Just take it for what it is a nice upgrade and a very great gesture from your sister and BIL.

The OP confirmed earlier that this isn't the case. She mentioned that their names are still down for Pop.

Charles they are staying at the Poly and we are staying at the POP. We have paid for this trip. It is not that we couldn't afford to stay at Poly really. It is that we did not intend on making this trip that kind of trip. We kinda all agreed that it would be a "cheap and fun, last minute, let's go" kind of vacation.

Honeybug said:
Charles they are staying at the Poly and we are staying at the POP. We have paid for this trip. It is not that we couldn't afford to stay at Poly really. It is that we did not intend on making this trip that kind of trip. We kinda all agreed that it would be a "cheap and fun, last minute, let's go" kind of vacation.

There isn't an easy way to say this but you didn't kinda of agree to make it a cheap trip. You wanted to that type of trip and evidently your sister didn't know how to tell you that's not the kind of trip she wants to take. She "yessed" you without really agreeing. Or after she gave it some thought she changed her mind and didn't want to burst your bubble. Or she didn't want to put pressure on you to book a hotel you don't really want to budget.

She may be mean and rotten or she may just want a different vacation experience and wants to make sure she doesn't try to force you to change your plans to match hers.

Telling you would put in in the position of changing your resort or trying to convince her to stay at a hotel she doesn't want to stay at.

I feel really bad for you and know how disappointed in your sister you must be. However, please call or go speak with your sister...I love both of my sisters and one I could live "with" and my other sister..my other sister I would probably not even go on vacation with..... :confused3

Honeybug said:
my husband to get home from work. I am going to have him call my bil to get the truth. I know if I called her now it would get ugly. I want this to be a family issue not just a sister issue. Plus, I was up all night thinking about this and got very little sleep. I am a wreck.

I couldn't disagree more with this approach. I'd deal with your sister directly, and calmly, and not involve anybody else in your family in this. I see no reason for the rest of the respective families to be at odds, when the problem is really with your sister.

Honeybug said:
my husband to get home from work. I am going to have him call my bil to get the truth. I know if I called her now it would get ugly. I want this to be a family issue not just a sister issue. Plus, I was up all night thinking about this and got very little sleep. I am a wreck.

With all due respect, if this is the way you and your sister deal with issues, then it's no wonder this is unfolding the way it is. I strongly encourage you to talk with your sister directly -- and calmly. Right now you don't know what happened and are making a lot of assumptions. It's water under the bridge, but the thing to do was call her immediately before you stewed about it all night and worked yourself into an even more upset state. You have nothing to lose if you approach her calmly and rationally and simply ask what is going on -- if she has sneaky motives, she'll likely be caught off-guard by your calm manner. If she has the best intentions, then not flying off the handle to begin with will keep her from getting defensive and you'll get to the bottom of all this much more easily.

Good luck -- I hope you get it all sorted out.

Honeybug said:

I don't understand what you are saying here. It seems you are saying you want to make it into a bigger family issue than just talking to your sister directly. That statement makes it sound like you want to make it an even bigger issue than it may need to be.

I don't understand why someone would put themselves through being up all night and making yourself a wreck and discussing it on a message board with complete strangers rather than just dealing directly with your sister.

In your first post you said you couldn't afford the Poly and then in a later post you said it wasn't that you couldn't afford it, it was really you hadn't planned that kind of trip but you are also willing to throw away $2000 and just not go. I guess this confuses me. Who in the world would be willing to toss that kind of money? Is it possible your sister is afraid to talk to you because you may be rather dramatic with your reaction?

Just talk to her. Believe me, I have seen many people on this board upset because of a perceived problem and when they actually take the time to talk to the people involved things are quickly resolved.

Honeybug your last few posts shows why your sister avoided telling you. You are making this much much bigger than it needs to be. So they stay where they want and you stay where you want. Why all the drama?

Honeybug said:

This isn't really about truth and lies. It's about two famlies that have different ideas on what kind of vacation experience they want to budget. There is no reason for you to let it get ugly. Your sister wasn't comfortable telling you they changed their plans and you're not comfortable asking her why she didn't let you know they changed their plans. Sounds like she, correctly, knew you wouldn't take it well. Just because someone "yesses" you doesn't mean they agree with you.

You have a right to be annoyed they didn't tell you. You have no right to be annoyed they decided they wanted a different vacation experience. Do you know when the change was made? If it was recent they may have been waiting to tell you.

CALL AND MAKE SURE YOU STILL HAVE FREE DINING. The passes will be easy to take care of.

I agree that you won't know for sure what happened until you talk to your sister. NOT confront her, just ask her.

You know, it's not unheard of for reservations to get messed up--maybe they did cancel both rooms at POP and booked two at the Poly but for some reason the system kept you in there. Maybe the system wouldn't let them change rooms with your names on them, or mistakenly one room wasn't cancelled. You said yourself that you had to "get another confirmation number" to check on your POP ressie. How did that happen? Did your dh call, and when he came up with no rooms under the original confirmation number, press the CM to find the ressie for you, which then was basically "recreated" and given a new confirmation number....? Did you check to see how many rooms she had booked at the Poly? (I am guessing the CM would not tell you that, so you have NO IDEA if she did or not!!)

Ask your sister. It's pretty simple. Why get all worked up about something when you have truly no idea what has happened and why? If she really did what you are assuming she did, then feel anyway you want to about it. Until then, do yourself a favor and don't waste negative energy on something you don't KNOW has happened.

I do know that when I booked two rooms at the Poly for myself and friends, I didn't even have to give the names of the people in the other room. In effect, I have two rooms booked under my name, for me. If my friends were to call to "check on their reservation" they wouldn't find any room booked for them or with their names in the computer at all.

My sister and I have had lots of issues in the past. Before I talk to my sister I want to make sure this isn't a surprise from her husband or something he did by having my husband talk to my bil.
Lesson learned NEVER HAVE FAMILY MEMBERS PLAN OR BOOK YOUR VACATION!

Honeybug said:
My sister and I have had lots of issues in the past. Before I talk to my sister I want to make sure this isn't a surprise from her husband or something he did by having my husband talk to my bil.
Lesson learned NEVER HAVE FAMILY MEMBERS PLAN OR BOOK YOUR VACATION!

You can plan a vacation together but unless one party is treating each family should make your own reservations. Many famlies decide to stay in different resorts.

Take it from someone who knows....don't get anyone else in your family involved in this. For whatever reason...that may be becoming clearer as this thread progresses...your sister and possibly her husband, doesn't want to stay where you want to stay. End of story. Call her, take your trip and don't deprive your kids of a nice trip because you feel...this has "ruined" it. Don't let your husband confront her husband...because if your brother n law is anything like my husband....he's gonna hurt some feelings. In all the time it took to put this on 3 boards...you could have had it out with your sister and moved on. Good luck.

Just go anyways and have a great time....believe me family or not you really want to spend time on your own with your kids and husband not tailing around others and dining with others...we went with a gradn gatherings group of 75 and spent time with only about 3 or 4 probably 2times and that was it...we LOVE disney by ourselves...if this is not the way you feel, it is probably the way they feel. Take it with a grain of salt and go have THE BEST VACATION EVER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!