Sister switched resorts on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeybug

Earning My Ears
I am hoping I can get some advice on some family drama. In October my husband and 2 little girls under 3 were going to take a vacation to Disney World with my sister, brother-in-law and 2 nieces under 3. We booked the trip on my sister's credit card. When we decided to take this trip we agreed that we were going to stay from Oct.1st-Oct.9 at the Pop Century in connecting rooms. This WAS supposed to be a cheap (since we booked because of the great dining package) and fun vacation for both families.

Is it possible that your sister and BIL are treating all of you to the Poly? Being that they have not said anything to you about the switch. Maybe they wanted to surprise you.

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

Try not to let the changes upset you. There are reasons your sister and brother-in-law changed the reseservation and there are reasons they did not tell you. Were they trying to be deceitful? I doubt it. Were they trying to avoid a confrontation about their choices? Probably. Having connecting rooms at Pop is something you really wanted and they obviously did not. Please try to look at it without getting upset at them. Keep your plans and maybe you shoud consider letting their family make their own plans. Think how much you will enjoy your wonderful vacation at a magical place!

Just a hint for a newbie, you shouldn't post the exact same thing on 3 different boards, one is sufficient. The DIS'ers here are a helpful bunch and will answer you if you just post on one.

Try not to let it get you down :)
My first thought after reading your post was that your sister may be trying to surprise you...especially since they didn't ask for more money. They may be paying the difference for the upgrade?
When your dh checked the reservation, were two rooms included on it or just one? If there was only one room than I would talk to your sister. If there are two rooms and she didn't say anything or ask for more money than maybe it's a surprise. You might double check with her that you paid all that you had agreed to. I hope it all works out. :goodvibes

who's name is the ressies in? your sisters? If you have the ressies number, to be honest with you. I would call to check the ressies first. If she is trying to suprize you, at least you know what it is your dealing with. And nothing needs to be said.

In 2003 when we where going with my in-laws, we originally booked All Star Movies, then I changed the reservation when a code came out to the WL and kept it as a surprise for them. They did not learn of the change until the limo pulled up to the WL. We paid the difference in the upgrade for them.

Is your reservation still at Pop? If it is, I would still go and have a great time. We have done connecting rooms many, many times when we travel with extended family and have come to our conclusion that we prefer non connecting rooms.

OK, my first thought, like the rest of the posters, is she is trying to surprise you. I would almost bet money on it. Instead of being upset, I would be excited.
Definitely check and see if both of your room reservations were switched, or if it was just hers.
I wouldnt be so quick to judge unless you have proof otherwise. You might be feeling a little sheepish.
We hope to hear back from you.....

Have you asked her about it yet? Are you going to? It's probably better to get the situation cleared up before you get too upset about it. Keep us updated!

You have received good advice from the wonderful DIS Board Members.

I too, would see if you can check the reservation. See if both have been changed to the POLY as a surprise for your family.

Obviously, if both have not been changed, you will need to discuss this with your sister and let her know that this has disappointed you and your family.

However, I would stay at the POP and enjoy your vacation, I'm sure you deserve it.

Under no circumstances would I choose to forfeit the $2000 and not take the trip. :wave2:

so is there an update here?
are you all at th epoly or just her family
if it is her just her family i would GO GO GO anywhay and have a geat time
dont lose 2grand cuz your upset

if its only her at the poly they probably didnt wann ahurt your feelings and i wonder how she will explain the change to you .... will she wait til the day you leave

Throw away two grand on an ASSUMPTION?????

Let her surprise you, and if it doesn't work out this time, make you 'together' plans on your own card next time, and she on hers. Live and learn. . .

Ok I was thinking maybe she upgraded you all as well.

However if she didnt. Its not an insult to you. SHe prolly didnt want to have a confrontation or make you feel bad. And just as you have vested a lot of money into this trip so has she and she is just trying to make it as magical as possible for her family as well.

As for canceling your trip, that is just absurd. Why would you just throw away money like that and have your daughters miss this wonderful vacation. If youre still upset and dont want to hang with your sis then dont but dont cancel a vacation over it.

as with many others, my first thought was that it was a surprise!!!! but I am also waiting to hear the update.

My sister and her family are not trying to surprise me! I know this because our names are no longer under her reservation. They changed our reservation, but we are still at the POP. We had to get a new confirmation number to even be able to check on our reservation.

Honeybug said:
I don't think that I can still go to Disney now and have a good time. I am so hurt that my sister and her husband would go behind our backs and lie to us. My sister has hurt me in the past, but WOW I didn't think she would do something like this.

Ok a couple things. Just b/c YOU wont have a good time doesnt mean your DH and DD's wont/ And once you get there I think you will.

Also if she has screwed you over in the past why would plan a vacation with her?

Just go and have a good time with YOUR family and forget about them.

You need to call your sister or better yet, walk down the street and find out what's up. And go from there. Making assumptions isn't going to help, let her explain things to you.

Then you can make plans with the new information, but in no way should you give up your vacation. What's done is done. You'll have a great time with your family, just think of your childs face when first meeting Mickey Mouse!!! Your sister can't change that!!!

OK ... can somebody find the other thread that is probably from the sister? I remember reading one recently where the sister wanted to change resorts and was afraid to hurt the other sister's feelings. The vote was split, but most felt that she should switch resorts if she really wanted to and that it's not a bad thing to stay in separate resorts.

You can still do fun things together. You can also enjoy your time apart.

I've been in similar situations where I've been disappointed that my in-laws didn't want to spend as much time with my family as I had hoped (particularly when I was footing the bill) but life goes on.

Please don't let this ruin your vacation or your family relationship. Life's too short.

Sheila

Take it from me, you'll LOVE this vacation!!!! I do recommend you simply call her and tell her that you found out that they had switched to the Poly...TAKE ALL THAT SENSITIVITY and spit it out before you call or you really will have a bad trip. I have a sister and I know how this one incident is really not about this one incident...it's a piece of hay on a haystack 10 feet tall and it's throwing you over the edge. I can show you how the conversation canl go....

Sis..."Hello."
You..."Hey, I was just calling to get all of our reservations confirmed since we put them on your card and they told me y'all were at the Poly. Hey, you're going to stay at the Poly??? You lucky duck!!! Maybe we can plan to meet at 'Ohana's with the girls one night, I hear it's a great resort! But they're not showing park hoppers for our family...is there anything we need to do to make sure we have them before we arrive?"

Now, make sure you don't have any snideness or cattiness in your voice..sisters pick up on that even when it's not there. Before you call maybe sit with your precious daughters and color with them and envision all the great pictures and memories you'll have from taking them to a family trip. Your sister was wrong not to tell you, but she also didn't want to create strife...I can see it happening this way in my family...my husband would in no way want to spend his vacation time with an extra set of youngsters under 3....it's really not peaceful and the women end up spending all the time together and it's hard to have family time. We did that one year and actually stayed with my sister in a 2BR OKW room...it was just much more work than staying in our own room and being able to manage nap times easily and have fun family time.

Don't look at this as she's got more and we don't or she's being dishonest..you're taking a GREAT vacation with YOUR family...it's a treat that you get to mingle while there but the only people who will remember having their "cousins" right next door would be you and your husband...your children are too young to remember...but they will "remember" through all the great pictures/scrapbooks/albums you create from having great trips and those smiles when the 8 of you do get together for dining and such. This is a vacation...not a power struggle...let it go and enjoy yourself.

Tara

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!