Sistah Twistah - A January Dining Review- Updated- 6/25 - COMPLETE!!!

Jerusalem Gal

DIS Veteran
Sistah Twistah
aka 'Ohana Means Family
aka OMG MY FIRST DINING REVIEW EVERRRRR

Introduction

Hi Everyone!

A short introduction before my actual dining reviews... :goodvibes

I just got back from a 10 day trip to the World. It was just me and my sister for 10 days of (mostly) heavenly bliss. We were there January 19th to the 28th.

My name is DeeDee (Lies! It's actually Yehudit which is like Judith or Judy) and my sister is Shira. 'Shira' means song in Hebrew.
I'm 31, divorced, no kids, the oldest of four siblings. Shira is almost 17 and the youngest in our family. We have two brothers in between so we're pretty close despite the age difference.
I'm a Disney freak and she's not but I'm hoping it'll grow on her.

This is us!

Intro.jpg
That's me on the right, Mickey ears and all. Shira's the one carrying the good camera which I never ever used for food pictures because I'm weird like that. :rolleyes1

Our dad's American, mom's Israeli so it's a colorful mix of cultures and languages.

We both live in Jerusalem, Israel- the Holy Land, aka The Land of Kosher Food.
I no longer keep kosher but Shira is somewhere in between. She tried to avoid pork, shellfish and in general preferred not to mix meat and dairy. We did our best.

My last visit was a week long trip with my cousin in October 2013. Back then we got the free dining deal and I loved it so of course I went ahead and paid for it this time around.
No, we didn't really spend our credits wisely and yes, I probably could have saved some if I hadn't insisted on the DDP but would I do it again? You bet! (We're talking the regular DDP, yes?)
I love knowing that it's already paid for and not thinking twice about getting the most expensive item on the menu. It just adds to the Disney magic for me and I have no regrets.

Also, I had gastric banding surgery a few years ago and though I don't look it, I actually lost quite a lot of weight. (Aaaand of course gained some of it back... )
I'm mentioning this because the surgery has totally altered my eating habits. I can't usually just grab a snack on the go. Every bite has to be taken into account, I have to chew slowly, have to drink with my meal, can barely eat breakfast ( :sad: ) and in general got used to eating my food cold because I'm so slow.
This made me think twice about late ADRs, snacks and some other stuff which I'll probably mention later on.

This is a list of the main places we ate at:

*opens little pad*

• Everything Pop
  • Cosmic Ray's
  • Be Our Guest (lunch)
  • Casey's Corner
  • Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie
  • Biergarten
  • Nine Dragons
  • Flame Tree BBQ
  • Landscape of Flavors
  • Contempo Cafe
  • Chef Mickey's
  • 50's Prime Time Cafe
  • 'Ohana (TWICE!!!)
  • Tony's Town Square Restaurant
  • Wolfgang Puck Express
  • The Friar's Nook
  • T-Rex
  • La Cantina de San Angel
  • Electric Umbrella
And on that happy note, it's time for bed!
(Darn time difference. We're 7 hours ahead of New York if that helps anyone figure it out.)

I hope you'll join me! See you soon! :cheer2:

P.S. You believed me when I said this was gonna be short, didn't you? Fools. :hyper:

see you soon is right...thanks for starting this great trip of yours...see you when you wake up

Yay! A first time dining report! I recently started my first ever pre-trip report, so I understand the butterflies! I am excited for you and look forward to reading your reviews!

YAY, I'm here!! Cute picture of the two of you. I hope you had a great trip, can't wait to read all about it. :) How long of a flight is it for you to Orlando?!

This one looks like a fun report! I can't wait to see the yumminess!popcorn:: Les Halles....say no more...nom.

see you soon is right...thanks for starting this great trip of yours...see you when you wake up
No, thank YOU! :D

Joining in and looking forward to your reviews!
Thank you and welcome!

Looking forward to the reviews!
Me too! :P

Yay! A first time dining report! I recently started my first ever pre-trip report, so I understand the butterflies! I am excited for you and look forward to reading your reviews!
Hey, a pre-trip report!! How exciting!!! When will you be going?

YAY, I'm here!! Cute picture of the two of you. I hope you had a great trip, can't wait to read all about it. :) How long of a flight is it for you to Orlando?!
Hey, I know you! From my favorite dining report!
Thank you! I love the picture. I think the background makes it great ;)
And well...... We're talking a 12 hour flight to NY or Boston and then another 3 hours to Orlando. From the time we left home for the airport until we got to our rooms at Pop- over 24 hours!!! :faint:
This one looks like a fun report! I can't wait to see the yumminess!popcorn:: Les Halles....say no more...nom.
My first time there! Nom is right!!!! :woohoo:

Looking forward to your review. In will be going to some of the same restaurants.
Great! I chose a lot of these places based on other's reviews here on the board :-)

Reading along ;)
Welcome!

We are going in mid-May for 8 nights (myself, my husband and his sister - she's taking us on the trip). We three went two years ago and were trying to do Star Wars Weekends this time but they cancelled them on us. Last time was my first time back since I was 15 and I was a bit overwhelmed by the heat and size of everything. This time, I feel much better prepared (in large part thanks to the Disboards) and can't wait to try things I didn't do last time.

I'm so excited! My first real post!!! :jumping1:

So today kids, we'll be talking about our first meal of the trip at...

Everything Pop!

1.5 POP.jpg

Our connecting flight from Boston landed at about 1 pm. After finding out that our luggage was left behind and would only be coming on the next flight in, we didn't have much to do but collapse in our room and wait it out.
As I mentioned to @Vernie822 , we're talking over 24 hours since we left our homes back in Jerusalem. We were pooped :faint:
After sitting around for a while, not even being able to shower because of a problem with the faucet (problem=we're not strong enough), we decided to have a little walk over to the food court to "check it out". (Genius!)
Well, what can I say? It was love at first sight! :love: Don't get me wrong. I know it's not gourmet, but there are so many yummy options to choose from!
Oh, I forgot to mention this in my introduction but I don't do well with options. Can't decide. Nope. Gotta have everything. So these food courts are a good way for me to work on choosing. one. dish.

Because we were on the dining plan and trying to save credits, we decided to split a meal. We weren't that hungry anyway. Just tired. (But who eats just because they're hungry? Not me!)
We went for the amazing, incredible, delicious, oh please get me some now, fresh and yummy... Picnic Burger!

1 POP PicnicBurger- Brandon Glover.jpg

The Picnic Burger - $12.99
"7 oz Angus Chuck patty, Grilled Hot Dog, Cheddar Cheese, Sauerkraut, Grilled Onions, Kosher Pickles, Ketchup, Mustard, Lettuce, and Vine-Ripe Tomato on a Brioche Roll"

OMG.

I'd like to personally thank Brandon Glover for this picture. I don't know who you are, but thank God for you and Google!
I naturally completely forgot about you guys and my planned dining review. Did not take a single picture.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, Shira preferred not to mix dairy and meat and so I asked the cheese be put on the side. I got a few stares and it seemed like it was really complicated for them (really. They kept talking among themselves and coming back to ask me if I really wanted it on the side and switched from a bowl to a plate to just standing and staring at it), but they ended up putting the slice of cheese on a plate for me to enjoy. We got the side of fries that comes with it and since we had newly activated our refillable mugs, we replaced our drink with an extra dessert.
No pictures of these either, I'm afraid, but I got an incredible macadamia nut cookie the size of my hand, and Shira got an Oreo cupcake which was also delicious!!

I'd like to focus for a second on the this amazing burger.
Burger: Yum.
Hot dog: Double yum.
Cheddar cheese: Come to mommy!
Sauerkraut: Where have you been all my life?
Onions, pickles and all the rest: *faint*

This was the perfect way to start our stay at Pop and the World. Hit the spot. In retrospect, we should have just ordered another one :D
Also, you guys probably don't know this, but your regular, standard, greasy french fries are amazing! Wow, we were blown away. And they're just fries!

Desserts were great too. We both enjoyed our own and each other's. I used some of my cookie to help with the extra frosting from the cupcake. Cause I'm nice like that :littleangel:

Maybe I'm just hungry, but I'd pay a LOT for that meal right now :cloud9:

Up next- Cosmic Ray's and what it feels like to know Sonny's whole act by heart :dance3:

We are going in mid-May for 8 nights (myself, my husband and his sister - she's taking us on the trip). We three went two years ago and were trying to do Star Wars Weekends this time but they cancelled them on us. Last time was my first time back since I was 15 and I was a bit overwhelmed by the heat and size of everything. This time, I feel much better prepared (in large part thanks to the Disboards) and can't wait to try things I didn't do last time.
That's awesome!!! And I totally understand you being overwhelmed. The sheer size of everything is crazy! And you can't stay focused on anything for more than a second because then another amazing something pops up!

I've only read two posts from you so far, but it's fair to say I love you. :love: You are hilarious. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever ready any sort of trip report by someone from Israel, so interesting! I'm assuming you've spent plenty of time in the states since your father is American?

I'm really looking forward to reading more, this should be a super fun report! :dogdance:

Great start, you are so entertaining!

As I mentioned to @Vernie822 , we're talking over 24 hours since we left our homes back in Jerusalem. We were pooped :faint:
After sitting around for a while, not even being able to shower because of a problem with the faucet (problem=we're not strong enough), we decided to have a little walk over to the food court to "check it out". (Genius!)

I can't even. It is 2 hours from Pittsburgh to Orlando and by the time the plane lands I am so over it!

Because we were on the dining plan and trying to save credits, we decided to split a meal. We weren't that hungry anyway. Just tired. (But who eats just because they're hungry? Not me!)

Not me either! ;) Love the flexibility of being able to split something on the DDP.

The Picnic Burger - $12.99
"7 oz Angus Chuck patty, Grilled Hot Dog, Cheddar Cheese, Sauerkraut, Grilled Onions, Kosher Pickles, Ketchup, Mustard, Lettuce, and Vine-Ripe Tomato on a Brioche Roll"

OMG.

OH MY! This was definitely not there last time we stayed.. YUM.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, Shira preferred not to mix dairy and meat and so I asked the cheese be put on the side. I got a few stares and it seemed like it was really complicated for them (really. They kept talking among themselves and coming back to ask me if I really wanted it on the side and switched from a bowl to a plate to just standing and staring at it), but they ended up putting the slice of cheese on a plate for me to enjoy. We got the side of fries that comes with it and since we had newly activated our refillable mugs, we replaced our drink with an extra dessert.

HAHA.. Why was this so difficult?! That's so cool that you can switch a snack to replace your drink... I'll have to remember that, especially when splitting. Can never have too much dessert!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter