Single person buying DVC - advice? worth it?

I appreciate your concerns and everyone else's input!

As for my travel history. I've visited Disney at least 4-5 times with my parents and sister when I was a kid and teenager, again in with just my sister when we were adults, and again 5 years later with just my parents. After that, I used to visit Disney about every two years with my ex. He was a first timer to Disney and fell in love with it on our first trip there when we stayed at Caribbean Beach. We visited two years later and stayed at the Grand Floridian, Club Level, then two years after that for a stay at the Continental and again in 2006 at Animal Kingdom Club Level.

Then life happened and threw a number of obstacles my way. My interest in Disney was rekindled after signing up for Expedition Everest with my sister back in November. We were planning our trip then, but due her budget, we stayed at off-Disney hotels. We got the Florida resident 4-park explore Disney pass and spread our visits across 3 consecutive weekends (one including the race). While she grew tired of the visits by the 3rd weekend, I was ready for more! I could see myself planning a weekend trip for special life events, or just to have something to look forward to and the thought of a planned weekend getaway at some point later in the year.

I forgot how much I simply loved Disney and I enjoyed every minute IN the parks. Outside the parks...not so much! While the hotel was nice (Clarion Inn on I-4), it's NOT Disney! LOL Using the hotel shuttle or our own car was a bit of a pain. I longed for staying at a Disney hotel with the ambiance, luxury, travel, and everything Disney that comes along with it. I also enjoyed the weekend getaway and realized the importance of taking a mini-vacation every now and then.

While on our last trip, I picked up and briefly chatted with a DVC sales person. I knew before the end of our trip I would be visiting again before the year was out and staying at a deluxe resort. Honestly, at first, I didn't think the DVC was for me and I threw out the brochure. It wasn't until I decided to go to MNSSHP in September and make going to Disney a regular thing for me (solo) that I realized maybe revisiting DVC wouldn't be a bad idea.

So, after the past few weeks of intensive research (about 10-15 hours per week, I think I did about 10 hours since Friday alone this week LOL), I've made a decision :)

Today I submitted an offer on VGF and I'm waiting to hear from the seller. The agent through the resale site said it should be accepted since my offer was competitive with the asking price. Fingers crossed!

Though the price was a little higher than I wanted to spend initially, I realized after some thought that buying into SSR was me wanting to buy something cheap just to "get something". I knew (when I removed my emotions) and really thought about it rationally, that buying SSR would lead to regret down the line. Regardless if I never do another RunDisney event, I KNOW I'd keep going to Disney just for the fun and vacation factor. When I really thought about SSR and the location, I suspected it wouldn't be long before I came to hate the transportation and distance from the parks (I remember how it felt when I was at AK vs. GF or Continental). So, in the long run, I decided that instead of being cheap, if I'm going to commit, commit to something I know I'll be 100% happy with - and for me, that's GF.

Perhaps it's also because I just happened to find a resale posting today that (to me) seemed like a good deal, within my budget, loaded contract, and had a fair amount of points. Whatever the reasons, and whatever the outcome (rejection by seller, rejection by Disney ROFR), once I submitted my offer, there was no question or doubt in my mind that buying VGF was right for me. If this sale falls through for whatever reason, at least my mind is made up for my home resort and what I'm absolutely willing to spend.

So, wish me luck on the offer that the seller accepts and it passes ROFR!! For now, I'm keeping my cash reservations for my trips later this year but hoping to have something to look forward to and reserve for next Spring!
Congratulations! You seemed to have done your research, thought about the long-term commitment, and made the fateful decision. . .one which I believe you'll enjoy for years to come. Certainly, VGF offers lovely rooms and a great locale, and it should be a superb vacation spot for your continued visits. While each resort has its advantages and sports unique features, simply buying into a resort for the sake of convenience often leads to regret. I offer this final anecdote. I once had a friend who sold cars for a living, and he told me that consistently the most dissatisfied customers he ever had were those who bought the cheapest car for the best deal they could manage. Those customers who opted to buy the car they wanted, despite a higher cost, rarely complained. Enjoy your purchase and best wishes that you can snag VGF for your next visit!

Having read this thread, I think you're very smart to buy at GF which seems to be the place you really want to stay. Hope your purchase goes smoothly and that you enjoy many, many years of wonderful vacations with DVC! We have!

Thank you to everyone who responded to my posts providing insight and opinions!

My original offer was rejected by the seller. However, there were a few other listings I was watching and when I found out my previous offer was rejected, I submitted another offer on another listing.

I just found out it was accepted and the contract papers are being drawn up now! I'm really excited.

Thank you for offering a safe place where I could "think out loud" and get insight and opinions on my decision. Without this community as a resource, I probably woud have bought somewhere I really didn't want just to save money, and as others mentioned, most likely would have regretted my decision. Instead, I just needed the reality check that it's better to spend more to get exactly what I want rather than compromising.

So far, I am 100% satisfied with my decision, and my offer. I went through Nick at DVC Resale Market and he's been great! He called to confirm my initial offer and within an hour, called me back to let me know of the seller's decision. Now it's onto ROFR and hopefully, smooth sailing!

I will post updates once I get through ROFR

So you purchased! That was fast. :)

Let me give you my thoughts anyway, as the rundisney aspect of your plans wasn't addressed very much.

I booked a studio at SSR in November (only thing available at a RunDisney host resort) and I suspect it's probably a DVC studio, but not sure.

SSR is *only* a DVC villa resort, so yes, it's a DVC studio.

As you noticed, SSR and BW were the ONLY villas that are host resorts for this year's Wine&Dine. I believe it was the same last year.

If the Tower of Terror 10 miler comes back, they will have limited host resorts as well.

It's very possible that VGF won't ever be a host resort for those events. So buying there means you won't be staying there for those events in the future. Unless you want to drive to the events, which is a totally possible thing to do (except that W&D is a bit complicated, parking at Epcot then busing to the start...and I think TOT was semi-similar but I can't recall). But to take advantage of the HOST resort thing, you likely will have to book at, well, SSR for at least W&D in the future. (I had zero luck with BW for W&D last year, and after a month or so even SSR was sold out for it!)

Now, with the January weekend and Princess, traditionally, ALL resorts are host resorts. (even when the dingbat at the front desk says they aren't, ignoring all the signs in the lobby about it LOL) The moment you get your points, try for Princess if it's within your 7 months. But you might not get into your home resort for it.

I don't want to buy DVC then find that I am must book 7-11 months out or else I end up paying cash or no place to stay. I want the ability to be able to spontaneously decide to go to Disney, and have a place to stay with my DVC

For rundisney events you are going to need to book ASAP. I don't even know if I'm signing up for Princess, but for the first time EVER I used our 11 month booking advantage and went ahead and got myself a room at Bay Lake. Bought in '09, have not yet stayed there. Oops.

You might end up paying cash at a certain point if you have a smaller contract and you stay often at GF. We ran out of points for this year's marathon weekend AND we wanted to be up at Universal, but at the last minute I wanted to be onsite the night before the Half. So I got a Little Mermaid room at AOA. No biggie. For TOT 2013 we stayed at POR. For the Half and 5K last year we had Pop, SSR, ASMusic, and Boardwalk Villas. Combo of points and hotels.com credits.

I really don't see how the fact that you're single matters in this decision.

Agreed.

If I had SSR as my home resort, what is the likelihood I could get VGF, BCV or BLT for Marathon weekend or Princess Half Weekend, at the start of the 7 month window?

I would guess that the chances are very low of getting those at 7 months no matter where your home is.

I would only go 2-3 times a year with pre-planned trips ahead of time, thereby not needing a large point contract so maybe it is better to go with a smaller (100 pts or so) loaded contract.

Loaded only helps you out for a year or so. After that, it's 100 points. You won't want to borrow or bank often, because you'll be going every year for rundisney. Will 100 points a year get you your wished-for resorts for multiple events a year?

Thank you for mentioning the RunDisney events. They are a semi-large part of why I decided to buy DVC, but also because I know I'll be going between RD events as well.

Now, with the January weekend and Princess, traditionally, ALL resorts are host resorts. (even when the dingbat at the front desk says they aren't, ignoring all the signs in the lobby about it LOL) The moment you get your points, try for Princess if it's within your 7 months. But you might not get into your home resort for it.

Tell me about it! When I realized how hard it was to get a cash paying room for W&D, I know I need to start thinking about Princess, but I'm also trying to decide what to do with Marathon Weekend. That was kind of the catalyst that drove me to do my research again and consider DVC after initially dismissing it. While I know VGF won't be a host resort but for once a year, using the points elsewhere still makes DVC worthwhile for me (IMO).

You might end up paying cash at a certain point if you have a smaller contract and you stay often at GF.
This is a possibility I realize even into the first half of next year, given the timeline for if/when I close and availability. As it is, I'm paying cash this year for GF (MNSSHP) in September (which I'm okay with because I wanted Club level for that trip), and SSR for Wine & Dine. I wanted a moderate for W&D but Port Orleans was unavailable and I didn't want to go to the Pop resorts just yet. When I found out SSR was available, I figured why not, a place I never stayed at, what the heck. At the time I knew NOTHING about point rentals through DVC. Once I learned about them, I tried renting points for W&D but nothing was available through David's. For January, rentals are available for OKW, AK-Savannah, or SSR. I was going to rent points, but not sure if it would be better to see if (by some stroke of luck), I can use my own. I'll be approx 5-6 months out (assuming ROFR goes through and closing is fast). I may book a moderate with cash so I have the ability to cancel without too much difficulty.

I'm not thrilled about paying cash, but I really want the host resort for the RD events. I drove from a non-disney hotel for EE and while it was okay, I didn't appreciate the walk back to the parking lot after the party. I know that at 3 am (or whatever ungodly early hour :p) I'm definitely not going to be wanting to drive and dealing with parking, especially if I decide to stay in the park afterwards.

Loaded only helps you out for a year or so. After that, it's 100 points. You won't want to borrow or bank often, because you'll be going every year for rundisney.

I know that after 2016, when the banked points are used up, then I'm on a level playing field. However, right now I feel like I got a "free year head start" (even though I know it isn't really that way) with a full year's worth of banked points and 2015 & 2016 yet to come. Again, it came down to feeling like I got a pretty good deal when partially stripped contracts were selling for about the same price per point if not a little higher.

Will 100 points a year get you your wished-for resorts for multiple events a year?

NOPE! LOL I estimated that just between my planned trips this September, November, January and February, with another trip thrown in for good measure, I'd need approximately 250 points assuming I stay at VGF studio every time for 3 nights (Thurs-Sat). If I apply that schedule (roughly) going forward, I was able to determine a rough estimate of how many points I'd probably need/want. Knowing I'm NOT going to be staying at VGF every single time (nor would I want to, I LOVE VGF but I also like variety), I figure I can squeak by with about 175-200 points. The contract I bought had 125 points. Not enough but not too little, and with 2014 banked, it's enough to get me through the first year while I learn the ropes and save up enough to buy more within 6-8 months. It was really a matter of how much I wanted to spend now vs. what I really wanted for my home resort. While I could have gone somewhat higher in price, and could have gone much cheaper with SSR getting more points for the same price, I wasn't comfortable settling for a home resort I never stayed in and that I doubt would be my favorite Not to mention, I didn't want to drain my slush fund to zero. Even this purchase is higher than what I initially intended, but not too high to give me buyer's remorse and make me cry when I see my bank account. LOL I'm happy with what I decided because I feel I got a good deal, and I got what I wanted.

For now, I figure this contract is enough to get me in the door, at a place I KNOW I'll use at LEAST once a year (if not more, for other events like MNSSHP, etc., or just relaxing trip). Once I know what the first half of next year looks like as far as points, extra money, etc., I would expect (and at this point, intend to) add on possibly at SSR but location remains to be seen. However, now that I have my "favorite" place, buying SSR (or anywhere else) isn't as much of an issue as it was previously, since I have my favorite home resort.

While I know VGF won't be a host resort but for once a year, using the points elsewhere still makes DVC worthwhile for me (IMO).

Twice, if you do the January and February events, since all resorts are hosts for those. :)

Sounds like you thought it all through and your post was just the last stop on the way to making an offer. :)

Ooh your typeset gets really tiny at some points in your posts!

Twice, if you do the January and February events, since all resorts are hosts for those. :)

Sounds like you thought it all through and your post was just the last stop on the way to making an offer. :)!

In a large way, yes. I just need to talk everything out with those more knowledgable than me. The uncertainty I felt about SSR told me the decision wasn't right, and I was looking for validation. In the end, the community here really helped me by making me get back to basics of going for what I want. I really appreciate all the responses!

On another note, I j
ust got word that my contract went to Disney for ROFR. Wow, I can't believe I'm doing this, I'm really exited! The broker put a closing date of August on the contract which is sooner than I expected (was thinking September for some reasons). The next 30 days are going to be nail biters for me now!

I must say that Nick and his team at the DVC Resale market are very efficient and helpful in this process!

Since you mention VGF as a place you want to stay. Be warned there are no dedicated studios, and relatively few 2br lock-off (which is were a studio stay would come from) so the chances of finding a studio during a special event or holiday at 7 months is going to be difficult and could be difficult even during the 7-11 window for owners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter