Simpsons returned - Discovery Cove Day 7

Lizzy Lemon

DIS Veteran
Thursday 23rd July 2009

It was a hot one today, good job we were going to be in cool water a lot! I was up by 6.30 getting the refillable mugs filled and waking the boys by 7. As we didn't need any breakfast we were in the taxi by 7.30 and on our way. It cost $27.50 plus tip. There were some people already checking in by the time we arrived so joined the queue, would like to have taken some pictures of the entrance but was too scared of having a late swim. We ended up getting an 8.40am swim, bit too early really - no pleasing some folks is there:blush:. We had to leave breakfast and go and find the lockers and sort the wet suits/vests out.
Every time we passed a merchandise stall Ashley picked up this dolphin that made a dolphin noise when you pressed his fin, I think he would have liked me to say 'do you want it?' I wasn't going to, we have enough soft toys at home and they all end up in the cupboard except 2 favourites who were sitting on the bed at the resort (they are both well travelled toys!)
IMG_3590.jpg

Applying the sun cream they gave us, it was impossible to rub in!

IMG_3591.jpg

Right here goes - the photo that just has to be included! We were lucky to get Ashley to do this, he dipped his toes in the water and declared it too cold and he wasn't going to do it! Can you imagine how we felt, months of planning and anticipation of all the things we had planned and we get a wimpish 'its too cold'. I'm sure those of you with special needs children have experienced similar moments and to be honest my patience went out of the window. I try hard to understand him but sometimes I just don't get it so he had one of my looks and in a gentle but demanding voice to him in no uncertain terms 'GET IN NOW'. He did but he wasn't happy, Sarah had to encourage him also. I did what I usually do at times like this and left him to it, its the best way with him, someone else asking him usually works as he likes to please people.

M072309_00_6972.jpg

This was Capricorn who I had heard of from previous trip reports, we were told he's 40 years old, 500-600lbs in weight and his grandson was in the pool also that day. Kyle and Sarah were the trainers with us.

M072309_00_7014.jpg

M072309_00_7016.jpg

M072309_00_6967.jpg

M072309_00_6966.jpg

He was just so gentle and obedient, he was gorgeous but he didn't half wack us with his tail when he swam past, we quickly learned to just step back a little when we did go past us and reach out to him. We were taken to view the pics and placed our order for the ultimate package $233 for the dvd, cd, 7 - 7x5 pics and 2 - 6x4 pics, keyring and photo album.

Eventually went and got breakfast, it was 10am now, they were due to stop serving it at 10.30 so didn't mess about.

IMG_3584.jpg

Went and found a spot to sit, thankfully in the shade, had a quick swim in the tropical reef, didn't quite know what to make of this at first. I've never snorkelled before and when I saw how deep the water was kind of panicked a bit until I told myself to stop being pathetic and get on with it. I eventually made it all the way around twice stopping occasionally on the reef bits! Went back to our seats which were right next to the tropical reef and had a drink and a lollipop. We went into the Ray Pool next, we did the ray feeding as well.

M072309_00_3145.jpg

Lunch time and more food.

IMG_3690.jpg

The day had been wonderful so far but unfortunately things changed. There was a lot of activity going on to the side of us about 30feet away, the lifeguard ran past with a board and as I had to pass the place to get to the loo I noticed a little girl crying and the lifeguards doing CPR on someone. Sounds like I stood staring I didn't I went passed quickly and returned to my family and got them into the water out of the way but as the staff were encouraging people to evacuate the area and get into the water to clear the way for the paramedics it didn't look good. When the emergency had been cleared we were allowed back to our chairs and went into the aviary just behind us but the event was playing on my mind, thinking what the little girl must be going through. It didn't help that no sooner had we gone into the aviary and feeding the birds that about 3 helicopters started hovering overhead. That really spoilt the tranquility of the place and made you realise that something awful must have happened.

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

By this time it was about 4, I wanted to see a dolphin interaction from the sidelines as it were to get some photos that we couldn't get earlier during our swim.

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

There was a disabled lad doing a swim and bless him, he couldn't keep hold of the dolphin, he must have tried 5 or 6 times before the trainer helped him keep hold just to start off before letting him go on his own, I nearly lost it here, just to see the look on his face when he did it was worth the admission fee itself, still makes me fill up now. I know some people don't like animals in captivity but boy do they do a wonderful job in making some people's lives that little bit special for a while.

Went to pick up our photos and made our way out to get a taxi home, the driver told us it was a 70 year old lady who had passed away due to a heart attack. Awful thing to happen especially when you were visiting such a wonderful place for a lovely day out.

We were back at the resort by 5.45pm had a coffee in our room and sat on the balcony watching the animals on the savannah. Later in the evening Ashley asked to go to the arcade while we sat around the pool with a drink.

More AKL pictures - we had been here a few nights now and hadn't noticed the animals on the net curtains until tonight!

IMG_3723.jpg

Lamp shade in the corridor.

IMG_7680.jpg

The wallpaper in the bathroom area of our room.

IMG_7699.jpg

Love DC.Cant wait to take DD for her birthday :goodvibes

Glad you had a wonderful day there,shame there was some sort of medical emergency :(

P,s the food in DC is lovely.

what a great day, we loved DC.

i know it was very sad that an elderly lady died- but what a place to go from, so tranquil, very few of us will get that lucky in our exit.:angel: If I could pick a place DC would be it.

how lovely that the disabled child made you well-up , I feel the same, and it's these things that make places like DC so great. His family will have that joy in their hearts forever.

A fantastic day, Wendy, I loved DC so much I am scared to go back in case it doesn't live up to the first time.
i know it was very sad that an elderly lady died- but what a place to go from, so tranquil, very few of us will get that lucky in our exit.:angel: If I could pick a place DC would be it.

That's exactly what I just said to my DH.

Your photos of your day at Discovery Cove are magical. I now understand the appeal of here :goodvibes

We also have a son, about Ashleys age, with special needs and I agree that it can be confusing, frustrating and maddening trying to understand what they are thinking. I sometimes wonder why we bother buying park tickets for him as he doesn't do much once we are there and point blank refuses to try something new most of the time - then we go to Old Town a couple of years ago and he does the Skycoaster :confused3.
A couple of other things from your report reminded me of our trip there. We bought the noisy stuffed dolphin and it still lives in DD bedroom.
We also had Capricorn as our dolphin for the interaction and agree that he was spot on.
It was a shame to hear about the lady that passed away - and can only imagine what the little girl was going through on what was supposed to be a day to remember for very different reasons. :sad2:
All in all I enjoyed your report and pics and look forward to your next installment. :thumbsup2

Thankyou all for taking the time and trouble to read and let me know your thoughts on my report. I thought exactly the same about what a place to have your last moments but didn't like to say it in case someone thought it was insensitive.

Pegasus928 - I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling like I do sometimes, I feel terribly guilty about losing my temper and then feel sorry for myself for having the problems in the family that we have, its horrible.

What amazing photos you have of the family and Capricorn! It must have been a wonderful day. I also love the pics with the boys and the birds. Did you take those or were they something they do for you there? Even the pictures of the sheers and lamp were great. Thanks for sharing about the boy's success and happiness with the dolphin. It warmed my heart, too.

Jean

What amazing photos you have of the family and Capricorn! It must have been a wonderful day. I also love the pics with the boys and the birds. Did you take those or were they something they do for you there? Even the pictures of the sheers and lamp were great. Thanks for sharing about the boy's success and happiness with the dolphin. It warmed my heart, too.

Jean

Thanks Jean, it was a wonderful day and one I'd do again (finances permitting), the photos of the boys were taken by John, we hardly ever see him on holiday he's always behind the lens! The only place we saw a photographer apart from the dolphin swim was in the Ray Pool. We had 4000 pics last time this time we have 6000! I must take the credit for a few of them thought:rotfl2:

Great day, I love DC, can't wait until my kids are old enough to do this :)

Thats horrible about the lady passing :hug: other than that though it sounds like a wonderful day :cool1: Great photos :thumbsup2

DS loved the pictures of the "Dolphys" what a fantastic day.

What a shame about the lady though. I think I heard something about that online. :(

Sounds like you had a really special day overall - it seems as though there is something very special about swimming with dolphins. :woohoo:
It was sad to hear that someone had died whilst they were at DC - but if I had to die suddenly, this would be a top choice - just sad for those they left behind: :sad1:

I loved our day at Discovery Cove & reading your report bought back so many happy memories. :goodvibes

So sad about the lady that passed away. :sad1:

Nice report. Is breakfast and lunch included in the day? I have always wanted to go here but part of me can't help but thin of the cost. For 3 of us about £500. The ultimate package sounds pricey, $233 for a DVD Etc, especially when you consider the cost of entrance.

I've just started reading your report, and got to day 7 without replying :blush: (In my defense I was reading with only one free hand, as baby was in the other. :laughing: )

Sounds like it's been a great trip so far, and the hotel looks amazing. :)

What a tragic event at DC, the poor family. :(

Thanks for posting. :)

Nice report. Is breakfast and lunch included in the day? I have always wanted to go here but part of me can't help but thin of the cost. For 3 of us about £500. The ultimate package sounds pricey, $233 for a DVD Etc, especially when you consider the cost of entrance.

Food, drinks, ice creams, snacks all included in the admission cost. The only extras are souvenirs and the photo packages. We knew we were going to buy it, its our only extravagance really. We don't buy a lot of others things when on holiday but we do like to splash out on a good time and the memories that come with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter