Simba's Summer (July) 2015 W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge!! Any and All welcome to join!!

Okay...goals. I weighed in this morning at 162 (so down 3 lbs. in June) and I'm setting a July goal of 4 lbs., or ending the month at 158. I had pulled my UP24 back out in early June and set it with a 10,000 steps/day goal, which I met most of the month and blew away the past 8 days (averaging 13,000 steps/day the past 8 days). So I'm going to raise my step goal to 12,000/day, or 372,000 for the month. I'm also shooting for some sort of cardio at least 30 minutes 5 times/week. I'm going to continue having only one cup of coffee a day, and only drinking my beloved Dr. Pepper once a week or less. (Hubby and I have a weekly date out, usually lunch, and that's typically when I have my cheat Dr. Pepper. I can't keep it in the house or I will drink it!!!)
Oh, and I'm going to do a few 30-day challenges this month also--crunches and planks at least. My tummy is my biggest issue to tone so I'm going to start targeting those muscles. Having 7 kids in 12 years does NOT do nice things for the abs!!! LOL! :)

I'm not sure how to calculate percentages each week with 3 different goals (weight goal, move goal, and drink goal) so perhaps I'll just use the weight part for calculating percentage. Does that sound about right?

I'm in! My goal for this month is to lose 5 pounds. That's my biggest goal. I also would like to do a cardio workout at least 3 times a week with strength training workouts at least twice a week. I need to learn how to better schedule my evenings because I feel like I never have enough time to workout (but have plenty of time to binge on Netflix).

I majorly fell off the wagon, but I'm back to be held accountable (I seem to need that!)

I'm going to attempt 8 pounds, 2 a week... Get back to Zumba and walking around the lake.

So glad you are back with us for July!!

I'm in! I'll post my goal and plan tomorrow...

:thumbsup2

I'm in for July! Hopefully I'll be able to chat a little more than I did in June.

I haven't decided on my goal yet, but I'll figure it out tomorrow and post it and my plan then!

:wave:

Hi, everyone! Count me in for July! I loved being a part of the June thread - and now I'm a little bit addicted to it, haha.

For any new faces joining in for July, :welcome: ... Here's a little recap of my story:
I'm Megan :-)wave2:) and I'm trying to lose weight before my October wedding and DISNEYMOON! :banana: In January, my scale hit the highest number it's ever hit - 227 (I know that we aren't required to give our numbers, so I hope that no one is upset that I am. It's largely for personal tracking purposes, but it's also just a part of my story). Since then, I've been desperately and unsuccessfully trying to make that number go down. I finally hit 222 in May, and then I found the June thread, and I am now proud to say that I'm starting July at 212! As of June 30, I'm 116 days away from my wedding, and 22lbs away from my wedding-goal (but 52lbs away from my overall-life-goal... but baby steps!). I'm hoping I can push myself to lose 25 or 30lbs before the wedding, but if I can reach 190, I will be over the moon. It's been at least 2 years since I've broken the 200 mark, so I will very likely burst into tears if/when that happens! lol
Goals that I will measure for July:
1) Eating - I want to continue my low carb/high protein routine, and limit my splurging to one meal a week. In June, we still ate out way too much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, we did a LOT better about it, but I want to keep pulling that amount down.
2) Exercise - Walk dedicatedly, either on the treadmill or around the block, 90 minutes a week.

Goal that I will watch closely but not officially measure as a July goal:
1) Lose another 10lbs. I'm definitely going to try to do it again, but I don't want that to be how I measure my success this time around. If I don't hit 10lbs, I don't want to be discouraged because my body isn't responding exactly how I think it should.

ETA: @Flossbolna, can I switch my coaching week to the one starting July 20?

You can do this!!! Do you realize you made more progress in June than you did in the entire spring?? Obviously something is working for you..... so stick with it!!

I'm back. My goals are :
1. Lose 5lbs this month
2. Walk 5000 or more steps a day.

You did great in June and I'm sure July will be even better!!

Joining in...

My goal will be to do a 20 minute Pilates workout 14 times during the month of July.

SO glad to meet a new friend! Welcome!

QOTD for Wednesday, July 1:

If you have not done so, please tell us what your goal for the month is and what your plan is for getting there!

I'm still thinking on it, but it is going to be EXERCISE related.... not food or pounds related. Exercise is where I really struggle so that is where I need to concentrate my energy.

Joining in again for July.

My weight goal is to lose 10lb in July.

My eating goals are to eat within my designated calorie range, focus on whole foods, allow myself one Skinny Cow treat per day (100 calories for the chocolate truffle- yum!), and not binge. I will also continue to journal all my eating and exercise.

My exercise goal is to have a minimum of 45 minutes per day of walking or stationary bike. On days I miss, I will try to double up on a following day.

I'm thinking about getting a fitbit for myself, but not sure if it's worth it. I've lost weight in the past, but had a relapse over the past two years. I thought I'd slayed my dragon, but he came roaring back to life when a lot of life stressors happened all within a few months.

I also plan on reading more weight loss stories. The last I read was It Was Me All Along, and I found I was able to relate to a lot of what the author wrote.

Wishing everyone strength and determination in July!

Great goals! Was that a book or an article you read? I'll have to look it up later.

Well after a rough June I am going to try to get back on this and try a different approach. My goals this month will be to walk (for exercise not daily steps) at least 60 miles in July (June was 51 miles) and to make better food choices. Now obviously the better food choices are not really measurable, but the walking is :)

You could figure out a way to make the better food choices measurable if you really wanted to include it in your goal for July. Like plan for a certain number of days within your calorie range.... or a certain serving of fruits/veggies every day..... something like that.

Thanks for the email invite back. I always start so strong in the beginning of the month. In the month of June I lost 1 lb. Which is better than gaining.
Our garden share started, and I still go to a Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings, because we get such odd things on our garden share, though we get plenty of lettuce.
My dd's started a 21 day, Shakeology, and it came with bowls for portion sizes. It is unbelievable how large of portions I was eating, but the fruit bowls and veggie bowls are left empty at the end of the day, and I am always grateful to eat at least veggies or fruit. I would of always gone for ice cream.

My goal for July is to cut out bread and bad snacking-I hate how I crave both of these items.

Kicking the carbs is TOUGH (at least for the first week) but it really helps. Best of luck with it!

My Goals:
1 - Lose 2 lbs (after a rough June, I'm going for a very low goal - I'd rather exceed a low goal than not reach a high one)
2 - Continue running 2-3 times per week

My Plan:
1 - Meal Plan and stick to it! I know that there are some meals I can't plan in advance (because I'm not making them), but for the ones I can ... I need to plan and stick to the plan. One of my goals for today is to go through my meal plan for the rest of the week and fill in all of the holes (there was a lot of "I'll figure it out later" when I made the meal plan on Sunday)
2 - Pick 2-3 days every week when I want to run, and put it on my calendar! Usually I run first thing in the morning, so I like to set out my clothing the night before so that it's easier for me to get out the door.
3 - At least 2 non-running exercises per week - running is pretty much all I've been doing lately, and I know that it's not enough, so I really need to start reintroducing other exercises into my routine.

I'm sure I'll adjust the plan as the month goes on, but I think it's a good start!

So - different people definitely have different experiences with Fitbit. I've had the Fitbit One for almost 2 years and I love it. I know it's not always 100% accurate, but it's good at letting me know which days I'm more active and which days I need to make more of an effort - I tend to use my step count as more of a general guide than an exact number.
I really love my Fitbit and do recommend it, but I know that not everyone does, so don't be too surprised if you get one and wind up not liking it as much as you thought you would.

Those are some big goals and a GREAT plan to go with them!!:goodvibes

Morning all! Happy July!

I am setting two goals for next month:
1) Walk for an average of 10,500 steps per day for a total of, at least, 325,500 steps for the entire month. **I just came back from a follow-up with my podiatrist regarding the plantar fasciitis in my left foot. He suggested that I lay off the walking and switch to stationary bike or something. I don't really want to, though. I'm going to stick with my planned goal for now but, I may drop this one and pick something new depending on how my foot feels.
2) Drink an average of 88 oz of water per day for a total of, at least, 2,728 oz for the entire month.

I also began following the South Beach Diet (Phase 1) on Sunday, June 28. This is not part of my "official" June goals but, I'd like y'all to hold me to staying on the plan for the entire month. If I'm faithful to the plan, my last day on Phase 1 will be Saturday, July 11 and I'll begin Phase 2 that Sunday. Today is my 4th day on the plan and, so far, so good.

Looking forward to some real progress toward better health this month!

Best of luck with the SB diet. I think that it is a pretty healthy plan that can make a big difference!

Okay...goals. I weighed in this morning at 162 (so down 3 lbs. in June) and I'm setting a July goal of 4 lbs., or ending the month at 158. I had pulled my UP24 back out in early June and set it with a 10,000 steps/day goal, which I met most of the month and blew away the past 8 days (averaging 13,000 steps/day the past 8 days). So I'm going to raise my step goal to 12,000/day, or 372,000 for the month. I'm also shooting for some sort of cardio at least 30 minutes 5 times/week. I'm going to continue having only one cup of coffee a day, and only drinking my beloved Dr. Pepper once a week or less. (Hubby and I have a weekly date out, usually lunch, and that's typically when I have my cheat Dr. Pepper. I can't keep it in the house or I will drink it!!!)
Oh, and I'm going to do a few 30-day challenges this month also--crunches and planks at least. My tummy is my biggest issue to tone so I'm going to start targeting those muscles. Having 7 kids in 12 years does NOT do nice things for the abs!!! LOL! :)

I'm not sure how to calculate percentages each week with 3 different goals (weight goal, move goal, and drink goal) so perhaps I'll just use the weight part for calculating percentage. Does that sound about right?

Yikes! I didn't realize that the "seven" in your username referred to the number of children you have! :faint: How do you find time to post here? How do you find time for a weekly date with DH? I'm IMPRESSED!! My DH is the youngest of seven.

I'm in! My goal for this month is to lose 5 pounds. That's my biggest goal. I also would like to do a cardio workout at least 3 times a week with strength training workouts at least twice a week. I need to learn how to better schedule my evenings because I feel like I never have enough time to workout (but have plenty of time to binge on Netflix).

:rotfl:

No lie.... I spent 3+ hours deep cleaning my master bathroom today. Then of course laundry, dishes, vacuuming.... I'm exhausted!!

Gotta go finish packing up for our July 4th weekend at the beach! TTYL...................P

OK, I need a swift kick in the pants and I need to wagon to circle around and pick me up!!!!
Short story, I've had some health issues arise that need additional testing in 6 months so my goal is to lose as much weight in the next 6 months as possible. Hopefully this will help them get better imaging.
So, this month my goal is 3 miles every day (I'm also way behind on my 2015 miles in 2015 goal) and 5 pounds.
And I need to give up caffeine. I am having pain which prompted a mammogram (and the additional testing) and I think it's from my caffeine overload.

I'll jump in. I have to set my goal for less than last month though. I ended up aggravating an old injury at the end of the 3rd week and was sidelined for the rest of the month. :sad2: So, back to baby steps for me with a goal of 240 minutes of walking by July 31st.

I hope everyone has a great month! :flower:

Ok, I'm in for July! Today has already been blown...I had a huge block of fudge and a mountain dew!!! I would like to lose at least 12 by our trip to DW Sept 18. I plan on trying to get in at least 2 walking days a week (I work double shifts 3 days a week and work 2-3 days regular shifts the rest of the week...not a lot of walking time available). I also plan to bring fruit, veggies, yogurt/cottage cheese to work instead of buying food at work...which will also save me $5 a pop for my trip! I'm not going to do any specific diet. I need to make a serious and lasting lifestyle change. Summer offers lots of yummy fruits and I'm LOVING it. Now I need to kick the soda habit!

I'm here and looking for my moving buddies! Are you here alrushton and Thistlemae???? I don't see you so I'm sending you a lifeline (aka a PM with a link)!

Anyhooooo... here I am, ready for REAL PROGRESS in July! I've been stagnant for far too long! BBL to post a goal and a plan!......................P
I am here. :thanks:

My goal for this month:

1) come check this thread every day since I am new and still trying to figure it all out.:surfweb:

2) walk a minimum of 100 miles this month.:cool1:

3) eat what I know works for me and stay away from everything else.popcorn::

4) to lose 5lbs :hippie:

I am looking forward to getting to learn more about everyome. :butterfly

Happy to say I'm starting off July on the right foot! The weather was nice tonight so we took our dog for a walk around the block - walked for 30 minutes, 1.25 miles total! Really trying to make some progress toward my goals this month!

I did get to squeeze in a 20 minute walk before dinner. I'll definitely have to check in every day to keep myself on track!

Joining in!

My goals are to:

1. Do two upper body workouts a week (nine for the month). My plan for this is to do the beginner upper body program from my Strength Training for Women book on Thursdays and Sundays.

2. Lose 4 pounds. My plan for this is to track all of my food intake on My Fitness Pal and keep my net average calorie intake at or below 1650 (recommended MFP calorie intake for me to lose a pound a week). Weighed in at 216.2 this morning so aiming to see 212.2 on August 1st.

Hello everyone!! I am so happy to see so many people signing up for July!! I will be back with replies later today and also update the list of participants.

But for now I am just posting today's QOTD - which I am writing at 6:50 am when it is already 72 degrees outside, the expected high is 95!

Thursday QOTD:

Heat! One of summer's challenges is hot weather. Depending on where you live it might be better or worse, but all of the Northern Hemisphere will have some very warm days during July. How do you deal with it? Do you have any strategies on how to get through a heat wave and still keep active and continue a healthy life style?

Looking forward to read your ideas!

I'm in!
DOPEY CHALLENGE TRAINING has started! party:

Starting weight: 215 (been stuck there for 3 months now)
Goal: 210

How to deal with the heat: Take your time, don't push too hard, listen to your body, stay hydrated.

Heat! One of summer's challenges is hot weather. Depending on where you live it might be better or worse, but all of the Northern Hemisphere will have some very warm days during July. How do you deal with it? Do you have any strategies on how to get through a heat wave and still keep active and continue a healthy life style?

I'm pretty bad with the heat, but I always try to stay hydrated - I'll go through almost twice as much water on a summer run as I would on a winter run.
Also, I've re-introduced walk intervals into my running. I had mostly stopped walk intervals a few months ago, but I've reintroduced them for the summer just to give myself a break from the running in the heat.

Thursday QOTD:

The heat is my greatest nemesis. I'm a fair-skinned Irish redhead and the sun just makes me fry to a crisp and then melt. Unfortunately I live in DC, which is a fetid swamp for a good chunk of the summer months. My primary coping mechanisms are that I go anywhere without a tube of industrial strength sunblock, a 32-ounce thermal bottle of ice and water, a Frogg Togg Chilly Pad, and a very wide-brimmed sun hat. Sometimes I also use a UV-reflecting sun umbrella. It's sort of like packing for a summer day at WDW (a place I will never go in high summer). And I absolutely abuse the AC.

I normally walk to and from the train station to my home and office so that is some daytime activity but I try to limit it. I also tend to slowly stroll along like a languid Southern novel. More active outdoor walks and activities are confined to after sundown, where it is still drippy hot but the sun has least stopped its relentless shining. And I follow them up with a cool shower before bed.

The bright side of summer? I am much less hungry and (if I pay attention to myself and avoid the ice cream) I crave a lot more fruit and fresh salads.

ETA: forgot the sundresses. Lots and lots of sundresses!

Last edited:
Morning all! Not a lot of time to chit-chat, as we are trying to head out for our long July 4th weekend! Just wanted to come on and post my GOAL for July!

My GOAL for July is 210 minutes of exercise every week (starting Friday, July 3 thru Friday, July 31). That would equal about 2 miles a day at a good fast walk pace, or two 15 minute circuits of other exercise. So obviously I'll be aiming to hit that 210 every week to bring me to 25% week one(then 50% week two, etc) of my goal so that I reach 100% by the end of the month.

I am NOT going to count yard work, housework, etc. I need to be MORE intentional about my exercise! However, I will count any beach walking I do this weekend! :thumbsup2

Gotta dash!...................P

Hello everyone!! I am so happy to see so many people signing up for July!! I will be back with replies later today and also update the list of participants.

But for now I am just posting today's QOTD - which I am writing at 6:50 am when it is already 72 degrees outside, the expected high is 95!

Thursday QOTD:

Looking forward to read your ideas!

I try HARD to NEVER, EVER complain about the heat..... because I HATE the winter and the snow! As long as I can turn on a portal a/c unit to sleep at night, I am fine. I will exercise early in the morning (even rising when it is still dark out if necessary) or late in the evening or do something less "sweat" inducing like yoga. We have had a pool since about 1999 and it was always so nice to fall into it fully dressed in my sweaty workout gear to cool off..... but this past winter destroyed it so we will be dismantling it later this summer. :(

I work SUPER HARD to keep the house as cool as possible (no central a/c here) with lots of strategies of windows open in the night and closed during the day, shades drawn, reflective panels in the windows, etc and it is a rare day (usually just a few times in the summer) that we have to resort to a/c on during the daytime. That also means NOT running the oven so lots of dinners that are salads, yogurts, or grilled. Thankfully my family doesn't complain.

Have a great day!..............P

I hate heat, lol! And after moving from NY back down to central Texas, I'm definitely having to adjust! Thankfully it's cooler than average so far this summer. I'll take what I can get!

My strategies for dealing with heat are to walk outdoors early in the morning or late at night, when it's in the 70s rather than in the 90s. We've also had a TON of rain this summer, and on rainy days the temp drops a bit. I took a 2-mile walk in a rainstorm with my 11-year-old last week--good exercise and good bonding time--he couldn't believe Mom wanted to walk in a torrential downpour. We were soaked to the bone and laughing the whole way!

I've been doing a Leslie Sansone Walk Slim 4-mile video during the middle of the day each day for the past 2 weeks or so. Walking in my room with the AC on and the ceiling fan on high beats the heat pretty well. :) I just have to try really hard not to step on my little ones who want to be right there in the middle of it walking with me, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter