• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Silly balcony question

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if the balconies of the DVC resorts have privacy dividers between them?

The reason I'm asking is because if my parents want to come with us at some point, a private balcony will be important to them, as they like to sit on a balcony to talk and have a couple of glasses of wine in the evenings without feeling they're on display for everyone else to see and hear. :sunny:

okw with a 1-bedroom and up - would be your best bid.

these balconies are arranged so you can't see one from the other.

the only exception is the studio balcony - you can see it from the 1-bedroom part.

spiceycat said:

the only exception is the studio balcony - you can see it from the 1-bedroom part.
That wouldn't be a problem to see the studio balcony from the 1 bedroom since we would book a two bedroom anyway. If it happens to be a lockoff, like in this case, it would just be us in the one bedroom anyways, and they're not looking for privacy from their family while on the balcony (we'd probably be enjoying a glass of wine with them ;) ), just from neighbors to the left and right.

I just know they wouldn't want to walk out on a balcony, look to their right, and ten feet away are people on their balcony, look to their left and ten feet away are more people on their balcony. You'd have three different conversations going on at the same time in virtually the same place. :earseek: My dad (who is 78 years old) has hearing problems, and all that chatter going on would all blend together so he wouldn't be able to hear words clearly with all the background conversations going on. If the background noise is at a distance, it's not a problem, but if it's right there next to him, it can be very hard for him to communicate and join in a conversation.

And of course, as you get older, privacy becomes more important to a person (at least that's what my 68 year old mom tells me). :rolleyes:

As a young person with a young family, we're still at the stage of "the more the merrier"! :cheer2:

The balcony at all but OKW are like typical hotel balconies, but at OKW it is more like a townhome, and the nearest balcony will be directly above or below you, so you wont see it. Other balconies in the same building are not visible to you, but you will be able to look across the way to the balconies of other buildings. Not a problem though, since they are quite a ways away.

dianeschlicht said:
The balcony at all but OKW are like typical hotel balconies, but at OKW it is more like a townhome, and the nearest balcony will be directly above or below you, so you wont see it. Other balconies in the same building are not visible to you, but you will be able to look across the way to the balconies of other buildings. Not a problem though, since they are quite a ways away.

Yes you're right, looking across the way to the balconies of other buildings wouldn't be a problem for them, so OKW sounds like the place for them. They like to golf anyways, so they'll probably be in heaven at OKW! :rotfl:

Thanks Spiceycat and Dianeschlicht for the quick and imformative responses! :wave2:

DisZip said:
For an example of the balconies at BCV take a look at http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-bcv/room266.php or http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-bcv/room420.php

Not all the rooms are alike, in the upper floors the balconies have more separation between them than on the lower floors, but you can get the idea from the photos.
Hmmm, that's interesting how some of the balconies do have dividers on the sides, while others don't. I wonder which rooms have the dividers and what rooms don't? :confused3 BCV wouldn't be a bad spot either since it's close to Epcot and the Boardwalk. My dad can't walk very far at a time without having to take a rest, so being able to take a little stroll to the Boardwalk for dinner or a drink might appeal to them. I'll have to run the choices by them and see what they think.

disney-super-mom said:
Hmmm, that's interesting how some of the balconies do have dividers on the sides, while others don't. I wonder which rooms have the dividers and what rooms don't?

Some form of divider exists (some solid, some railing) between each of the units balconies (I use the term unit rather than room, as some units may have multiple rooms, each with access to the balcony). In the case of some 1BR and 2BR units, the balconies may be connected.

On the top floors, some of the individual rooms have their own balconies, like a shed dormer, with the roof acting as the divider.

disney-super-mom said:
BCV wouldn't be a bad spot either since it's close to Epcot and the Boardwalk. My dad can't walk very far at a time without having to take a rest, so being able to take a little stroll to the Boardwalk for dinner or a drink might appeal to them. I'll have to run the choices by them and see what they think.

Yes, we love the BCV for their close proximity to Epcot and the Boardwalk, and also the boat ride to MGM.

I just ran the different resorts by my mom, and of course she says, "Oh, don't make any plans or reservations based on what WE would like. It's your vacation."

Aaaaarrrrrgh - that drives me nuts. :headache: :crazy: We'll be the ones able to go for years to come. They're the ones who'll probably only go ONE TIME in their lives.

If I can find the perfect resort for them, maybe they'd want to go again. Maybe they'd actually have....GULP....do I dare say it....FUN at WDW!

They've never been there. They think that WDW is for young families with children, and that all WDW is, is a big theme park with rides, rides, and more rides. Aye, aye, aye... how do I get them to understand? :rolleyes2 Well, they're just going to have to experience it for themselves. I really do think they'll love the golf courses, Animal Kingdom, and of course Epcot! (not that I would know by experience myself ;) )

Now the pressure is on me - which DVC resort to choose?! :earseek:

Well, I can cross off VWL since my mom did mention that we shouldn't stay in a resort that reminds us of home. Rather we should stay somewhere that feels different than the northwest.

That leaves OKW, BWV, BCV, and SSR.

I think they'd like the OKW rooms and patios the best, but I worry they'd get bored there if they choose to hang out at the resort for a day or two.

I think they'd like BWV and BCV because there's lots to do and places to eat/drink close by, but I worry about there being too much noise, too many people, and not enough privacy.

Ohhhhhh, the PRESSURE! :earseek:

go with OKW.

It has a restuarant on site - Olivia's.

It is nice, quiet and peacefully.

they will see people their own ages, plus younger people with children and some even older than themselves.

the quiet pools generally (not always) are quiet. Hey, they may even make friends at the pool one day when you are gone to the parks.

they can (if they want too) take the boat to DD.

but Okw has stuff to do - there is a community hall, small gym, bike and boat rentals, tennis, basketball, etc.

they and you will love a 2-bedroom at OKW. Plenty of room!!!

spiceycat said:

At OKW we have had balconies where you could see the other balcony of the room next to ours. We had a 2 bedroom dedicated and our balcony had another balcony on the same level just over on the other end of the building. Something similar to this photo on the rear of the building. You were not right on top of each other by any means, but definitely could see each other and hear what was being said.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/okw49.jpg

Same with our 2 bedroom dedicated at SSR, we could easily see everyone on the other balconies on the same floor as we were. They were seperated but parallel to each other.

Actually we felt the balconies at BCV with the dividers provided more visual privacy from the sides but certainly not conversation privacy as you are right next to each other. Of course we also had the neighbors children peaking through the opening each time we went out.

Sammie said:
At OKW we have had balconies where you could see the other balcony of the room next to ours. We had a 2 bedroom dedicated and our balcony had another balcony on the same level just over on the other end of the building. Something similar to this photo on the rear of the building. You were not right on top of each other by any means, but definitely could see each other and hear what was being said.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/okw49.jpg

Same with our 2 bedroom dedicated at SSR, we could easily see everyone on the other balconies on the same floor as we were. They were seperated but parallel to each other.

Actually we felt the balconies at BCV with the dividers provided more visual privacy from the sides but certainly not conversation privacy as you are right next to each other. Of course we also had the neighbors children peaking through the opening each time we went out.

Thanks for that picture of the OKW balconies. They actually look pretty good to me because they're far apart enough that my dad shouldn't have a problem seperating any background noise from our own conversations going on out on the balcony - I hope. :wizard:

I've decided not to worry too much about it because he has some new hearing aids, so hopefully they'll diminish the problem somewhat.

Plus, we're hoping to go during a quieter time at WDW, like the last week of September or the first week of October. We could go the last week of August, but I'm afraid the crowds could still be heavy then - not sure since we've never been there. :confused3 The humidity could be a bit of an issue in late August too.

disney-super-mom said:
Thanks for that picture of the OKW balconies. They actually look pretty good to me because they're far apart enough that my dad shouldn't have a problem seperating any background noise from our own conversations going on out on the balcony - I hope. :wizard:

I've decided not to worry too much about it because he has some new hearing aids, so hopefully they'll diminish the problem somewhat.

Plus, we're hoping to go during a quieter time at WDW, like the last week of September or the first week of October. We could go the last week of August, but I'm afraid the crowds could still be heavy then - not sure since we've never been there. :confused3 The humidity could be a bit of an issue in late August too.

Weather will be best in October, but crowds have begun to get heavy then due to so much going on that month. September will have fewer crowds after Labor Day.

In guidebooks when they talk about the slower times of the year, they are talking about park crowds not necessarily how busy the Disney resorts are.

October is very popular with DVC members.

disney-super-mom said:

Late August and early September don't have bad crowds, but it is HOT, HOT, HOT and HUMID! We have vowed not to do those again. October still has some heavy weather, and the crowds seemed much more hectic to me then. If I were taking parents (and I can say this, because I'm getting up there too!) I'd take them to OKW in mid to late November or early December. We like January too.

dianeschlicht said:
Late August and early September don't have bad crowds, but it is HOT, HOT, HOT and HUMID! We have vowed not to do those again. October still has some heavy weather, and the crowds seemed much more hectic to me then. If I were taking parents (and I can say this, because I'm getting up there too!) I'd take them to OKW in mid to late November or early December. We like January too.
Well, I'd love to go in late fall myself, but by then, my mom will by busy playing golf three times per week with her ladies golf group in Lake Havasu City, AZ. That's where my parents live 6 months out of the year. Sometime in April or May, they head back up north here to Spokane for the summers. By late October, they're usually heading back down to Lake Havasu.

I'm not sure how much they'd mind the heat. They actually like hotter weather. I, on the other hand, am not a fan of HOT, HOT, HOT weather. It can actually make me sick, but everyone else in my family seems to handle it just fine. :confused3 I guess I'm just the wimp of the family. ;) :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter