Signing up for vacation club on the cruise

jmjlmad145

Earning My Ears
Can anybody tell me if they have signed up for the DVC while on the cruise, and if so, how easy/hard is the process? Thanks!

Can anybody tell me if they have signed up for the DVC while on the cruise, and if so, how easy/hard is the process? Thanks!

Welcome to the DIS! You may get more replies by posting your question over on one of the DVC boards.

We haven't but I know many purchase DVC while cruising with good and easy results.

I bought vacation club while we were in the Baltic. You fill out application, sign for credit report, papers arrive about a week later and get it all signed and set up for payments....figure out how you want things deeded. We have two contracts, each child will get half the points if the day comes. The best incentives are on the boat. Don't worry disney will assist everything in this process. Not sure how long it took to close. If you don't need to finance the deal, I would look into buying used points and save some money.

We purchased points on board, it was easy just had to give them a credit card for the down payment. The little extras and discounts did help and these change as they were different on our next cruise. The times for the meeting with the actual sales person, not just the ones giving the presentations were very open first three days of the the 7 day cruise then he was more popular and it was harder to find a time, so if you are interested he can give the same information as in the DVC meetings just no drawing for the credit.

HTH
Charles

We not only bought DVC on a cruise, we also added on twice more, both times on cruises. You get the best deals on board the ships, I believe.

Buying direct is very simple. But buying on a cruise means there is very limited time, so I would make SURE that you know everything about DVC before you buy. If you haven't done so already, read read read here, so there are no surprises!

We did not do our original purchase with DVC while on a cruise but we have signed up 4 additional times for more points while on a cruise because they offer the best incentives to buy if you are on a cruise. We just got of the Fantasy two weeks ago and purchased more points while onboard. We received a $500 credit off the total price of the plan and they were offering a $500 on-board credit for anyone that purchased a NEW plan or added points to any of their plans (that was a NEW incentive we have never seen before) but we had worked out a deal with our DVC representative in Florida prior to going on the cruise so she applied the $500 on-board credit to the total price of the plan too so that the purchase price was lower for us, therefore, making the monthly payments more affordable for us. Purchasing more points is an extremely simple and very quick process on a cruise becuase you are already preapproved. But, I am sure doing an original purchase with DVC on a cruise would be just as easy. It might take a little longer though. Hope you decide to become a DVC memeber. My DH and love it and so do our four daughters. I guarantees fantastic vactions each year.

We did not buy but the deal offered last week on the Wonder was $140 a point
you had to buy at least 100 points and to get the on board credit you had to buy 160 points. They also prorated it to Sept so you got last years points as well. He also said that they were planning an increase for March.

I think the price of buying direct is getting to the point that you really should consider buying resale. The only thing you really lose is the Disney collection(which includes the cruise),and the concierge collection( which gets worse every year IMO). You can still trade into RCI. The real bang for your buck comes in using DVC properties, and resale has the same benefits as direct using DVC properties.

We did last month on The Dream. Was smooth, painless and very efficient. After literally years of research I finally I just didn't want the hassle of resale. We purchased 240 BWV points and couldn't be happier. We already have the incentive 2012 points banked, our membership cards and three ressies for 2013.

I bought direct after hearing all of the reasons not to. I wanted ultimate flexibility. I didn't buy on my cruise because I wanted to take a few months to research all if the options. If I had bern ready buying on the cruise gives you the best deal because if you buy at least s certain number of points you get $500 in onboard credit. I bought 3 months later. Do your research now. Ask about this on the DVC boards. Most people will recommend buying resale though. Discussing it over there was still a helpful process though. The only ones they sell onboard right now that gives you the hefty OBC are Aulani and Animal Kingdom. I'm sure the Grand Floridian will be sold onboard when it's released.

Reading the other replies made me realize..... If you are being offered onboard credit, make sure you can spend it! We did the Dvc presentations because we got invitations as members and it was a nice break, but we started on day 2 of a three night cruise. Our bill at the end reflected an arcade card and a glass of wine (and tips). We were not big spenders and that onboard credit would have been somewhat useless. So make sure you have purchases in mind and have time to spend it

Resale does not allow the use of points for cruises anymore, and doesn't get you access to the Dvc member cruises either, even if you are paying with cash.

bumbershoot said:
....doesn't get you access to the Dvc member cruises either, even if you are paying with cash.

When did that change?

If this is true this is one of my reasons for buying direct....they can change the rules at anytime and take away privileges previously available to resale purchasers.

When did that change?

If this is true this is one of my reasons for buying direct....they can change the rules at anytime and take away privileges previously available to resale purchasers.

I just looked around, and it was the changes for resale made in March of 2012 that caused that to happen.

Now, from what I understand you can own as little as 25 points direct, and that gets you access, but of course you would have to pay cash apart from those 25 points (if you could even use those for a cruise). And with member cruises as you probably know but others might not, you have to pay it ALL upon booking. There's no deposit and PIF date. It's all paid, right then.

And yes, they can change the rules going forward.

We bought 3 contracts all aboard the Disney Magic. Last November we bought 100 used DVC points through DVC ($80/point) and these used points are treated as new points -- they can be used to cruise, etc. - no restrictions. And we were able to get same use year as our other contracts.

JanDave said:
We bought 3 contracts all aboard the Disney Magic. Last November we bought 100 used DVC points through DVC ($80/point) and these used points are treated as new points -- they can be used to cruise, etc. - no restrictions. And we were able to get same use year as our other contracts.

Lucky! People buying resale now are restricted as noted in the previous posts though.

You bought them through DVC, though. That's not resale. So your points are treated differently than if you bought through a place like the Timeshare Store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter