Sign for Room Service?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Commander Cody, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Commander Cody

Commander Cody The siege goes well. With our continued barrage, t

When room service is delivered, assuming you don"t order anything that has an up charge, do you still have to sign for the food (even though it is free)? If so, can you add in a tip when signing for your food that will be added to your ship board account? Just seems easier than keeping a stack of singles on hand throughout the cruise.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Maybe yes, maybe no. In most cases, if you didn't order anything that has an additional charge (like sodas, prepackaged snacks) there is no slip to sign. And the room service delivery people are fast, so you need to have your singles handy (and in hand) before opening the door.

If you have chargeable items in your order, there will be a charge slip you can add tips to or just hand them cash.

4. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

I told them if you want a tip, bring a slip. :)
    They brought a slip and got a tip.
    :goodvibes

5. EastYorkDisneyFan

EastYorkDisneyFan DIS Veteran

every time I ordered room service they always asked me to sign a slip, and I had nothing charged to it. I think it was to acknowledge that you revived everything you ordered

6. "Cinder" Ella's Mom

"Cinder" Ella's Mom DIS Veteran

I always got a slip to sign as well with a spot for tip.

7. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

ditto on the ALWAYS got a slip to sign. what I understand is that it is to prove the food went to a cabin and not crew quarters.
    and yes, you can add the tip to the slip you sign.

8. MouseMomx2

MouseMomx2 DIS Veteran

We ordered room service every day on our recent Fantasy cruise and never had to sign a slip. We kept a stack of singles in the nightstand drawer for tips.

9. NurseDave

NurseDave Mouseketeer

Heh, that's funny.

10. mammacaryn

mammacaryn Don't be a JERK!

We never had to sign....

11. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

This varies...and we've never had any consistency. It isn't like 2 years ago we signed and this year we didn't; it's like twice on this cruise we signed and once we didn't.

If you don't want to tip in cash, tell them to bring a slip. If you don't care, don't say anything.

12. disney1990

disney1990 <font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a

We were on the Fantasy in October and never signed anything for room service. I thought that an envelope of $1's was an easy thing. Everybody knew where it was when the food came.

13. sambycat

sambycat DIS Veteran

Been on every ship and we've always signed.

14. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

We ordered cookies from room service and signed the slip. Our wonderful server has 2 creme brulees sent to our room and we again had the slip to sign. We had refrained from ordering room service because we realized that we were out of singles. My DH went to guest services to make change and they gave him change but also told him that if we wanted to tip the waiters we could just sign the slip. :)

15. Woodmnky

Woodmnky DIS Veteran

Most of the time when we ordered they did not ask us to sign, however each time I asked if there was something for me to sign they produced the slip and I was able to write in a tip.

16. sbassgva

sbassgva A Pirate in every sense of the word!

For something that many do not know(including myself until recently), room service runners split the tips with the telephone operators who take your order and often double check the tray before it is sent out. There is a lot more behind the scenes from the operators. However, if you pay the runner cash, the telephone operator get nothing!! Share and share alike. There is a lot more to room service than the crew member who walks through the door. Charge your tips!

17. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

18. PrincessTrisha

PrincessTrisha DIS Veteran

So I am supposed to charge my tips because the runner is being less than honest and not sharing tips like they are supposed to?

19. missycj96

missycj96 DIS Veteran

I ordered room service every day on the fantasy. The only time i signed was when i needed to tip on the card and when i ordered chocolate covered strawberries. I read an excellent idea on the boards about bringing singles in an envelope - i kept the envelope in my drawer and it was easy. I didnt even know you could sign tips until i ran out of singles and asked on the phone.

20. sbassgva

sbassgva A Pirate in every sense of the word!

Princess Trisha;
    Wasn't necessarily trying to imply dishonesty on the part of the delivery person. I have no idea if there is a rule, written or unwritten, regarding cash tips. I only know that the tips are split if they are charged, which to me makes sense as there are several folks involved in the processing of the order. Simply a suggestion, as I had not realized it. Hope that helps.

21. tessa67

tessa67 Mouseketeer

Cruised in December and was never presented with anything to sign.

Brought an envie with 100 singles and tipped cash.