Sick child - travel insurance

realityland

Mouseketeer
We are schedule to leave on the Dream in 48 hours. Yesterday, DS9 came home from school and proceeded directly to the bathroom and got sick. He is still sick this morning. We purchased travel insurance through TravelGuard (at the advice of our TA.) Does anyone have any experience with cancellations due to a sick child? I know that insurance companies are very good at one thing in particular - denying claims. I have since learned that purchasing the insurance through DCL gives you the option to cancel to a credit. Wish my TA had known that.

Anyway, I have a strange feeling that I may have a fight on my hands with TravelGuard. Just wondering if others had any experiences to share.

I have a lot of experience with TravelGuard and find their coverage to be better than that of any of the cruise lines. The one thing they will require is a physician's note stating the child cannot travel (unless you have the cancel for any reason coverage). If you cancel and don't have that statement, TG will deny the claim. Once you initiate the claim, TG will send you forms. I'd I recall, one is a document for the doctor to fill out.

My DD gets a stomach virus about once a year and they usually last 24 hours, almost to the minute. With one more day of serious hydration, she is back on her feet. I hope that is what your DS has and you won't have to cancel after all. Good
Luck!

My DD gets a stomach virus about once a year and they usually last 24 hours, almost to the minute. With one more day of serious hydration, she is back on her feet. I hope that is what your DS has and you won't have to cancel after all. Good
Luck!

My DD woke up with it Wed morning and had it all day Wed with fever on Thursday, but no vomiting. She was perfect by Thursday afternoon. Hope this is your case too! We are leaving in a week on the Fantasy, I was glad to get it over with, and hoping that no one else catches it. Ask for some phenegren (sp) either by mouth or suppositories to control the vomiting.

So sorry you are having to deal with this. Hopefully it leaves as quickly as it started.
TravelGuard is very reputable. With a medical claim, they will send you a form for the physician to fill out. As long as they document the child is not able to travel, you should not have a problem. Three of my four kids got the flu right before a cruise and while it wasn't Travel Guard, we had no problem getting a full refund from our insurer.

Although DCL insurance does offer the option of a future cruise credit for cancellations due to non-covered reasons, their other coverage is a bit more limited, so I think you are in good hands with TG.

At the terminal, you have to fill out a form that asks whether anyone has had fever, vomiting, etc. within the last 3 days...if you answer "yes" to that question, you'll be seen by one of the ship's docs or nurses (if a nurse, you can appeal to the do but it won't do any good!).

To make an insurance claim, you will need proof from a physician. You need to have him seen TODAY by either your pediatrician or something like an urgent care center if your doc can't get you in. Have them give you a note on a prescription pad saying that the child is unable to go on vacation if that is the case. Pop that note in your pocket--even if child is completely well in 24 hours, you might need it!

If you see the ship's doc and are denied boarding, they will give you the forms that you need...but then you have used your air and are "stuck" in Florida for whatever length of time. Hopefully the child is better by then.

Correct, the form at the port asks if anyone in your party has had vomiting or other symptoms in the last 72 hours.

We have used Travel Guard for a claim in the past and it was handled very well...for a delayed cruise that we had to lay out money for and were reimbursed pretty quickly.

Hope you can make it on this cruise. The Dream is a beautiful ship! Take him to the doctor today if at all possible.

MJ

kcashner said:
At the terminal, you have to fill out a form that asks whether anyone has had fever, vomiting, etc. within the last 3 days...if you answer "yes" to that question, you'll be seen by one of the ship's docs or nurses (if a nurse, you can appeal to the do but it won't do any good!).

To make an insurance claim, you will need proof from a physician. You need to have him seen TODAY by either your pediatrician or something like an urgent care center if your doc can't get you in. Have them give you a note on a prescription pad saying that the child is unable to go on vacation if that is the case. Pop that note in your pocket--even if child is completely well in 24 hours, you might need it!

If you see the ship's doc and are denied boarding, they will give you the forms that you need...but then you have used your air and are "stuck" in Florida for whatever length of time. Hopefully the child is better by then.

Thanks for the info regarding the form at the port. We are having him seen by a doctor this morning. Hopefully, he will be fine by Sunday. Glad to hear that Travelguard is pretty good to deal with.

We had to file a health-related claim with TravelGuard and I was pleasantly surprised with how easy they were to deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter