Shutters photos

sherwoodcruisers

Earning My Ears
Good evening all...

The DW is wanting to purchase the shutters photo package for our first Disney cruise this November, I am of the mind that it is alot of money for what you get after paying a fair amount for the cruse and flights, etc.

So I guess Im here looking for others opinions on Shutters, and your experiences with it.

:confused:

thanks

Darryl

You don't have to purchase a photo package prior to sailing. Once on board you can make that decision. The CM's will take photos with your camera, if requested. In theory you don't have to spend a dime on photos. However photos are reportedly one of the largest expenses outside the cruise fare. Just wait till you see the great photos with borders, especially involving kids. No worries mate. :thumbsup2

Any price break on a pre cruise package or does one exist?

Any price break on a pre cruise package or does one exist?

From what I have seen, there is no price break for pre-purchase. You can get a break on the price if you purchase one of their credit packages, but I believe the prices are the same on board as they are in advance.

I do know that if you want the CD with all the pictures, once you buy it, any printed pictures you want are then half price.

I think I paid $149 for the 3 night CD on the Dream last year. I am interested to see how much the 5 night Magic CD is next month.

Pictures from any of our trips are always my best souvenier.

We went in with the mindset that we would get a CD.
After going through all of the pictures available, we found that could get a much better deal doing a "credits" package and just getting the photos we liked.

We don't have kids and we didn't have enough pictures taken of just us to make it worth it to get the CD.

I say you go in with the mindset that, if there are enough pictures, and you love the pictures, you'll buy the CD. If not, you'll just buy the pictures you want, if it's cheaper.

Good luck!

I didn't think we would buy many pictures on our first Disney cruise last year so I didn't buy the package nor the CD; but when we finally looked at the pictures that were taken, we were amazed at how great they turned out and ended up buying quite a few. My husband and I travel a lot so we have pictures of him somewhere and pictures of me somewhere but rarely do we get pictures of both of us. But, as I recall from last April the price prior to sailing and on board was the same. They do offer "Special Sales" for certain periods while on the ship. They were announced in the Navigator.

We cruised in mid Feb of this year. It was a 7 day and the cost for the CD was $299 and I think you could get a printed package at 1/2 price with the purchase of the CD. We did not buy the CD, IMHO it is very expensive. The pics they do with the professional back drops are very nice though. We had a big mix up with our pics, the computers had crashed and I left the ship without any pics. I gave a CM my info, he said they would ship them to me. I was very skeptical but much to my surprise I did receive them about 2 1/2 weeks later. They were not exactly how I had ordered them but I was happy have them.

Funny - just having this discussion with someone on our facebook group meet page.

I did NOT buy the photo CD. I think it was $249 for 5 nt dream. Way too much money if you ask me. I really wish they would use a system like they do at the parks. If they lowered the price to $99 - and gave us editing priviliges - they would sell more CDs.

I had a CM use my camera for any shots I wanted to be in and took all other shots myself. I have the camera connector for my ipad, so I viewed all the shots and they were amazing. I never even bothered to go to shutters to see how theirs turned out.

In January the CD on a 4 night was $199 you then get 50% off any additional pics you order. We purchased the CD (next time I will make a bigger effort to fill the CD with as many pics as possible) We purchased a couple of additional pictures with the fancy borders on (the CD doesnt have the borders) Once home I ordered at a fraction of the cost the pictures I wanted from Costco, made a great photobook and some collage prints and other fun stuff (all from Costco)

........ the photo CD. ...... Way too much money ..... If they lowered the price to $99 - and gave us editing priviliges - they would sell more CDs.

I had a CM use my camera for any shots I wanted to be in and took all other shots myself. ...... I viewed all the shots and they were amazing. I never even bothered to go to shutters to see how theirs turned out.

:thumbsup2
In other words, no expensive photo package needed.:thumbsup2

I asked this before somewhere else but can't seem to find it now...Can you get printing privileges/authorization for any pictures you purchase, or do you need to buy the CD to get those privileges?

We bought the CD. We took advantage of the "studio shots" and had a number of shoots done on different nights. Considering that a studio shoot here in Australia could cost you $250, which would include one printed photo, and then one 8x10 would cost you something like $50 - $70 on top of that, we figured that the CD was an absolute bargain.

So, it depends on what photos you have taken I think.

Five cruises completed......
Money given to Shutters.....$0

We do not buy their photos. They are so incredibly overpriced. I know people like the family ones all together and they do do a nice job, but I cannot bring myself to purchase those pics.

I think if your cruise is a once in a very long time coming vacation, then go for it. But we vacation 3-4 times a year to WDW and/or DCL and just don't need to buy the pics.

I asked this before somewhere else but can't seem to find it now...Can you get printing privileges/authorization for any pictures you purchase, or do you need to buy the CD to get those privileges?

The CD comes with a release for printing privileges. The photos did not come with an authorization, so I am guessing you would have to have the CD for reprints.

You can go to the company's website (the link used to be in the stickys) and get the release for any photos you buy. They want a few things like sail date and name and they e-mail you the release. Buying the CD saves you that step because the release is included as PP stated.

Since we have all the "stuff" anyone could ever wish for (or dispose of!!), photos are the ONLY souvenirs we buy anymore. I purchase the CD so I can print the size and images I want. I do wish the pricing were the same as at the parks, but it isn't, so the choice is take my own (we aren't professionals) or buy theirs. Since it is the only souvenir we buy, we swallow the high price. I have never regretted it.

BTW, my daughters and I recently participated in the festivities at the Princess Half Marathon. Purchasing CDs from the photographers for that event adds up (can only purchase by Bib Number), so the 5 CDs we would want add up to nearly the same as the cruise CD. My younger daughter used to cheer competitively, and the photographers' CDs at those events were similarly priced. While the Shutters prices make me gasp sometimes, they are not any different from other places that I have seen.

Does anyone know exactly how much the CD costs? I can't find it anywhere, all I see is the package of pictures deals. We are going on a 4-night Dream cruise in May and I'm contemplating so I need to figure out if I should save up or not?
Another question is, we are traveling with friends and they have 2 staterooms. Can we link them all together and buy 1 disc between the two families? I thought this might help with the cost then we can copy the disc and each have one. Not sure if that would work though?
Do they just take pictures at certain times and it's a compilation of that or do they walk around the ship taking random pictures too?
I'm bringing my camera and I'm always taking pictures so I'm wondering what's going to be worth it for my family?
I would like a couple of nice family shots, so either way I would purchase a few, but this will help me decide if I just want a small photo package or the CD!
Thanks for any feedback!! :tink:

Does anyone know exactly how much the CD costs? I can't find it anywhere, all I see is the package of pictures deals. We are going on a 4-night Dream cruise in May and I'm contemplating so I need to figure out if I should save up or not?
Another question is, we are traveling with friends and they have 2 staterooms. Can we link them all together and buy 1 disc between the two families? I thought this might help with the cost then we can copy the disc and each have one. Not sure if that would work though?
Do they just take pictures at certain times and it's a compilation of that or do they walk around the ship taking random pictures too?
I'm bringing my camera and I'm always taking pictures so I'm wondering what's going to be worth it for my family?
I would like a couple of nice family shots, so either way I would purchase a few, but this will help me decide if I just want a small photo package or the CD!
Thanks for any feedback!! :tink:

As PP said, the price varies, depending on the length of your cruise.

CDs are 1 per room. The only exception to this I've read about is where there are 2 rooms with 2 parents and 2 or 3 children in those two rooms. Extended families/friends must purchase separate CDs.

There are specific photo locations as well as roaming photographers in the dining rooms and at some of the special events. All photos are included in the CD. The only negative is that the photos on the CD will not have the decorative borders that the printed pictures have.

:cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter