Shulas questions

jamala

Mouseketeer
My DD 15 LOVES steak, big steaks! We have done yachtsman several times but now they no longer have "her" steak on the menu or so I have been told. I have booked Shulas for our upcoming trip. Tell me about Shulas, what are your favorites and what is the dress code? This is on our epcot day so we will be in park clothes but we can go back to the hotel and change if it is dress up place.

We enjoyed Shulas this last Sept. 4 adults - very laid back, excellent service and the steaks were excellent. We had left overs for 2 meals at home (froze them in our villa). Remember that they can not charge the meal to your Disney room.

I wanted to order the bone-in ribeye, but the waiter wouldn't let me order it medium rare. Said it had to be ordered medium or more. Ordered the filet and thought it was tasteless. I would never go back. In hindsight I should have complained to a manager. Live and learn.

OP, if it's the porterhouse your daughter likes, I hear Yachtsman has it back on the menu. But if she loves REALLY big steaks, Shula's has a 48 oz. porterhouse that's free if you finish it.

As for dress code, I think it's the same as any Disney signature restaurant. DD12 wore a denim dress and DS15 wore jeans with a polo. I had on a more fancy dress, but it was hardly necessary. It's very, very dark in Shula's so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thank you all. And, yes it is the porterhouse she liked at Yachtsman. The last time we ate there she ordered it medium rare and the waiter kind of laughed and said "wow, I would have totally missed your order if I were guessing, I thought you would want the filet!" When he handed it to her he said I can't wait to see how much of that you eat and she finished the entire thing. She is 15 and maybe weighs 100lbs, very tiny thing. I am glad to hear it is back on the menu, but now she has her heart set on the 48oz one at Shulas. I on the other hand always get the filet well done, lol.

I wanted to order the bone-in ribeye, but the waiter wouldn't let me order it medium rare. Said it had to be ordered medium or more. Ordered the filet and thought it was tasteless. I would never go back. In hindsight I should have complained to a manager. Live and learn. OP, if it's the porterhouse your daughter likes, I hear Yachtsman has it back on the menu. But if she loves REALLY big steaks, Shula's has a 48 oz. porterhouse that's free if you finish it. As for dress code, I think it's the same as any Disney signature restaurant. DD12 wore a denim dress and DS15 wore jeans with a polo. I had on a more fancy dress, but it was hardly necessary. It's very, very dark in Shula's so I wouldn't worry too much.

I always order my cowboy cut medium rare. If I was told I could not order it this way I would get up and leave paying for what we ate at that point.

My family likes the cowboy and prime rib. Never had a problem ordering medium rare. Quirty, you definitely should have spoken to a manager. I've never had a bad meal there and service has always been excellent and very attentive. I don't think my water glass ever has been less than half full.

As for dress code, pretty much no ripped or torn clothing, swimwear, or foul language on your shirt. There are often a lot of convention folk dining so you'll see business dress or business casual a lot. My ex used to wear jeans or khaki shorts, a polo and sneakers (that was park wear). I usually wear a sundress and sneakers in the parks so that was always fine. Once we all wore shorts and football jerseys and no one batted an eye (then again the menu is also presented on a football).

I always get mine med rare. Never had a problem. Did you ask him why?:confused3
Nancyprincess:

I always order my cowboy cut medium rare. If I was told I could not order it this way I would get up and leave paying for what we ate at that point.

My family likes the cowboy and prime rib. Never had a problem ordering medium rare. Quirty, you definitely should have spoken to a manager. I've never had a bad meal there and service has always been excellent and very attentive. I don't think my water glass ever has been less than half full.

As for dress code, pretty much no ripped or torn clothing, swimwear, or foul language on your shirt. There are often a lot of convention folk dining so you'll see business dress or business casual a lot. My ex used to wear jeans or khaki shorts, a polo and sneakers (that was park wear). I usually wear a sundress and sneakers in the parks so that was always fine. Once we all wore shorts and football jerseys and no one batted an eye (then again the menu is also presented on a football).

I always get mine med rare. Never had a problem. Did you ask him why?:confused3
Nancyprincess:

The waiter said the bone-in ribeye had to be cooked at least medium for the "flavors to meld correctly" or something to that effect. Since he let a man at the table next to us order it without question a few minutes later, I can only wonder. But he was very adamant about it with me. Something else that really bothered me, was that he substituted one of the 3 half bottles in my $125 wine flight. Of course, I didn't notice until after he had opened the 1st bottle. When I questioned him, he said, "yes, we were out of the Swanson Merlot, so we substituted the Franciscan Magnificat. It's better." Better is a matter of opinion, and it should have been for me to decide, not him. I felt like he was very condescending to me. Like I wasn't capable of making my own decisions. But it was my birthday and I was getting a free entree, so I didn't want to complain. Even with the free entree and a free dessert, I spent almost $400 including tip.

As noted the dress "code" is the same as for all other Disny Signature restaurants.

We do Shulas each trip--always eat at the small bar. The Porterhouse is excellent as is the Steak Tartare appetizer. And the bacon wrapped shrimp are also very good.

The waiter said the bone-in ribeye had to be cooked at least medium for the "flavors to meld correctly" or something to that effect. Since he let a man at the table next to us order it without question a few minutes later, I can only wonder. But he was very adamant about it with me. Something else that really bothered me, was that he substituted one of the 3 half bottles in my $125 wine flight. Of course, I didn't notice until after he had opened the 1st bottle. When I questioned him, he said, "yes, we were out of the Swanson Merlot, so we substituted the Franciscan Magnificat. It's better." Better is a matter of opinion, and it should have been for me to decide, not him. I felt like he was very condescending to me. Like I wasn't capable of making my own decisions. But it was my birthday and I was getting a free entree, so I didn't want to complain. Even with the free entree and a free dessert, I spent almost $400 including tip.
$400!!!!!!!! How many people where you dining with???!!! Eek, that's crazy, I'd never pay that for one meal!!!!! That's my whole 5 day food budget and I've got a reservation there for Dec 6/ second guessing it now!!!!! Sounds like you should have tried to talk to a manager regarding your servers attitude, he definitely could use some adjustments!

When I questioned him, he said, "yes, we were out of the Swanson Merlot, so we substituted the Franciscan Magnificat. It's better." Better is a matter of opinion, and it should have been for me to decide, not him.

Yes, he should have notified you and allowed you to select from a range of other options. But in the end, he was right. The Magnificat is the better wine. ;)

$400!!!!!!!! How many people where you dining with???!!! Eek, that's crazy, I'd never pay that for one meal!!!!!

The prices of the food items are not out of range with other Signature restaurants. As I posted in your other thread, Shula's compares quite evenly with Yachtsman. But a good bottle of wine (or 2) coupled with cocktails for those so inclined can drive up the cost. But this is true everywhere.

Compare:

Party of 2 orders:
  • Scallop appetizer-$14
  • Caesar Salad-$11
  • 20 oz. KC Strip (split for two people)-$44
  • Order of Broccoli-$8
  • Key Lime Pie (shared between two people)-$8
  • Ice water and soft drinks for the table-$8
Total Cost=$93, or $46.50 per person before tax and tip.

vs.

Party of 2 orders:
  • BBQ Shrimp appetizer-$15
  • Seared Tuna appetizer-$16
  • Caesar Salad-$11
  • Wedge Salad-$10
  • 20 oz. KC Strip-$44
  • 24 oz. Porterhouse-$45
  • Order of Broccoli-$8
  • Order of Potato Gratin-$9
  • Sauteed Mushrooms-$8
  • Molten Lava Cake-$11
  • Creme Brulee Trio-$10
  • Bottle of Cabernet-$250
  • 1 glass or Port-$18
  • 1 glass of Ice Wine-$21
Total Cost=$476, or $238 per person before tax and tip.

Sometimes we do the former, and sometimes we do the latter. It doesn't have to break the bank. But if you go deep into the wine list, spending $400 for dinner is pretty easy.

OP, if it's the porterhouse your daughter likes, I hear Yachtsman has it back on the menu. But if she loves REALLY big steaks, Shula's has a 48 oz. porterhouse that's free if you finish it.

We've been to Shula's several times. If I recall correctly, I don't believe the 48oz Porterhouse is free if you finish. I've always known you had to pay for it but you get your name and plaque for their 48 oz. Club.

http://www.donshula.com/shulas-clubs/48-oz-club

http://www.donshula.com/images/pdfMenus/sh/orlando/orlando-sh-menu.pdf

It's been a few years since we have been to the Shula's at WDW, but it was awesome!
DH ordered the 48oz and it was not free, but you do get enrolled in their 48oz club and your name on the website if you finish - which he did, but was miserable for a few days after....:sad2:
I remember having the filet and it was really great! I would recommend trying it once - it is not cheap though.
If you are football fans, you will like it as your menu is on a football.:thumbsup2
Enjoy!

$400!!!!!!!! How many people where you dining with???!!! Eek, that's crazy, I'd never pay that for one meal!!!!! That's my whole 5 day food budget and I've got a reservation there for Dec 6/ second guessing it now!!!!! Sounds like you should have tried to talk to a manager regarding your servers attitude, he definitely could use some adjustments!

There were 3 of us - me and my 2 kids who are 12 and 15 (but eat like grown-ups.) We shared a shrimp cocktail, a caprese and a caesar salad, crab mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes, asparagus, 1 filet, 1 scallop entree, 2 desserts and 1 pricy wine flight of 3 half bottles. My filet entree and chocolate souffle for dessert were comped for my birthday (and were in addition to the items above.) But even with the comped items, the total with tax was over $300, and I gave the waiter a $70 tip. The wine flight alone was $125. It was a real indulgence for me (and I took some of it with me!)

Yes, he should have notified you and allowed you to select from a range of other options. But in the end, he was right. The Magnificat is the better wine. ;)

I pored over the wine list before our trip and researched the wines. My maiden name is Swanson and I've always wanted to try their wines but have never been able to find them. So the substitution was glaring to me. I took the Magnificat with me and drank it at home last week. It was good, but I wasn't wowed. On the other hand, my two other wines were a Grgich Hills Chardonnay and a Shafer One Point Five Cabernet. The chardonnay was wonderful and I enjoyed it with our appetizer and salad courses. The Shafer Cab was absolutely incredible. It far eclipsed the flavor of my filet. And was a great pairing with the chocolate souffle. I found a full size bottle at my local liquor store last week for $80, and I'll go back to get a bottle when they have a 15% off sale. It was one of the best 3 wines I've ever tasted.

We've been to Shula's several times. If I recall correctly, I don't believe the 48oz Porterhouse is free if you finish. I've always known you had to pay for it but you get your name and plaque for their 48 oz. Club.

http://www.donshula.com/shulas-clubs/48-oz-club

http://www.donshula.com/images/pdfMenus/sh/orlando/orlando-sh-menu.pdf

It's been a few years since we have been to the Shula's at WDW, but it was awesome!
DH ordered the 48oz and it was not free, but you do get enrolled in their 48oz club and your name on the website if you finish - which he did, but was miserable for a few days after....:sad2:
I remember having the filet and it was really great! I would recommend trying it once - it is not cheap though.
If you are football fans, you will like it as your menu is on a football.:thumbsup2
Enjoy!

Oops, my bad on the 48 oz porterhouse challenge. I'm glad my kids didn't go for it - lol! There is a Shula's not far from us here is the Chicago suburbs, and a few years ago my company had the Christmas party there - I didn't get to attend and I must have misunderstood my co-workers when they told me about it. Or I watched too many episodes of Man vs. Food and just assumed all food challenges were free if you succeeded!

And as a follow up, I went to a local steak house last Friday and finally got to order a bone-in ribeye, medium rare, just like I wanted for my birthday. It was awesome. And a bargain for $32.95. Too bad their wine list stinks!

The Shafer Cab was absolutely incredible.
The Shafer One Point Five is unquestionably the best wine of all those that you have mentioned. Too bad they couldn't have given you two of those and skipped both the Swanson and the Magnificat. Though $80 is a tad on the high side. You might be able to find it for around $67-$72. (Binny's in your area has it for $75). If you can find an on-line retailer offering free shipping or shipping for around $3 per bottle, it would be a good buy. :)

We go to Shula's all the time and usually get their wine or cocktails, but on this trip I want to bring my own bottle from my cellar. And was wondering if anuone knows the corkage? I am figuring $20.

Still debating, but I think I am bringing a 97 Beringer Private Reserve Cab to celebrate my wife and mine 50th birthdays.

Thanks!

The Shafer One Point Five is unquestionably the best wine of all those that you have mentioned. Too bad they couldn't have given you two of those and skipped both the Swanson and the Magnificat. Though $80 is a tad on the high side. You might be able to find it for around $67-$72. (Binny's in your area has it for $75). If you can find an on-line retailer offering free shipping or shipping for around $3 per bottle, it would be a good buy. :)

Oh you are right, Binny's has it for $75, not $80 (it's 2 blocks away from my house!) Every so often, they send coupons for 15% off your wine and spirit purchase, and that will bring it down to $64. And I totally agree, I'd have gladly traded the Magnificat for another bottle of the One Point Five!

We go to Shula's all the time and usually get their wine or cocktails, but on this trip I want to bring my own bottle from my cellar. And was wondering if anuone knows the corkage? I am figuring $20.

Still debating, but I think I am bringing a 97 Beringer Private Reserve Cab to celebrate my wife and mine 50th birthdays.

Thanks!

I think it is $25. If you travel with the '97 Beringer, make sure you stand the bottle up when you arrive at WDW and try to make your reservation at Shula's at least a couple of days into your trip to give the bottle some time to settle. Traveling with a bottle that age will stir up the sediment and you will want it to settle before opening. That's a great bottle and you will want it to show well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter