Show Me Your Smolder! October 2012 B-Day TR NEW 4/1 Trip Wrap Up & NEW PTR LINK!

DTD on a weekend is just pure madness. I don't get why it's that crazy, and it stinks that you had to park all the way on the other side of the marketplace just to get some dinner. :( Although, Earl is pretty tasty, and if my DH had his way, we'd eat there everytime we were in the area. :confused3

Love your DS's Halloween costume! :goodvibes

I just have to pop in here and let you know that they DO have Krispy Kreme in the DC area. There is one in Alexandria, right outside of Old Town on Richmond Hwy (Rt 1). I'm assuming you live in Falls Church, so it wouldn't be that far from you. We lived in Old Town, and it used to take us less than 5 mins to get there, you should look it up!

Just made my day!! :goodvibes Thanks!

I didn't quite realize how crowded DTD gets on Saturdays until I read your description. I had been entertaining the idea for a DTD visit on a Saturday for next trip but I think I'm going to put an end to that. :rotfl:

This picture makes my mouth water! When I lived in the midwest, I used to look for the "Fresh" neon sign turned on at the Krispy Kreme store and would pick up a dozen of the glazed ones fresh out of the oven. They would just melt in my mouth. :thumbsup2 Sadly, we don't have stores here in the DC area.

I don't know whether Saturday during the day would be any better, but seriously, if you can avoid Saturday night, do it! It was insanity. I thought to myself as I was pushing the stroller through the throngs of people that this must be what it's like Christmas day in the Magic Kingdom. People EVERYWHERE!!

They got a Krispy Kreme in Metairie when I was in high school, and my aunt loved them so much that she got them ALL the time, so I loved going to baby sit for her kids because there was always Krispy Kreme in the morning. SO delicious!! We don't have one here in Lafayette either, but we do have a little local chain called Meche's that is really yummy!

I love his Halloween costume! Very cute! :thumbsup2

Thanks!! After spending hours agonizing over costumes on the internet, I found that one for $10 at Party City and it was perfect for him!

I'm always tempted to try new sandwiches at Earl. I LOVE the All-American, but the other ones sound so good too! I'm not that big of a fan of roast beef though, so it knocks out a bunch of others (I've tried it though from my mom, and I think if you like roast beef, it's good!). The Cannonballs one is definitely one I'm interested in. Since we're going in December, it seems like a very appropriate cooler weather treat! Are the meatballs really dense or are they tender? Haha, is that a weird question? I'm not a fan of really dense meatballs. Of course, we might have to make TWO visits since they'll also have the holiday sandwich!

Ahhh, your little dino is so adorable! Maybe you wrote about it in your PTR, but why would he not want to eat in front of all those people? Haha, that's like me ... even now!

Yeah, the sandwich I had was a LOT of roast beef, so you probably wouldn't like it if you don't like roast beef! The Cannonball sandwich is very good too though. The few times I've had it, the meatballs were really tender, and the sauce is really good too.

:rotfl: He has a hard time eating when there is a lot of activity going on, like at the Halloween party! When there are a bunch of kids running around him having fun, the last thing he wants to do is sit down and eat. So in environments like that, it is usually hard to get him to eat well. Luckily he was hungry and LOVES pizza, so that wasn't an issue this time. :thumbsup2

I just have to pop in here and let you know that they DO have Krispy Kreme in the DC area. There is one in Alexandria, right outside of Old Town on Richmond Hwy (Rt 1). I'm assuming you live in Falls Church, so it wouldn't be that far from you. We lived in Old Town, and it used to take us less than 5 mins to get there, you should look it up!

Ok, no onto commenting! Yum Krispy Kreme, that is the true breakfast of champions!

I can't believe you were running early, even after having to check out of one resort and make it to the MK! Way to go, you earned your Disney stripes!

Glad you didn't have to wait too long for rope drop, I know how difficult it is with an antsy little boy! :goodvibes

We had forgotten about the Krispy Kreme right there until we were driving into the parking lot, and then we were like :idea: breakfast!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe we were running early either! :lmao: I thought for sure we'd be squeezing through the turnstile as the train was pulling into the station or we'd miss the opening show all together, but we had plenty of time to wait for the show to start!! It helped that we ate in the car though too, and that we had packed a lot of our stuff the night before.

This is just cruel. I didn't get any breakfast this morning because it took a lot longer to vote than I expected and I get to come in here and read about sandwiches and Krispy Kreme??? :faint:

Looks like a good start to your Disney visit. That first ride in on the monorail is always a great feeling.

I just got DW an iPad for an early Christmas gift so that she'll have it for our drive down, and so that we can use it as a distraction for DS. Trying to decide whether we want to actually carry it in the parks or not. I'm kind of thinking we might, but I need to find a backpack to throw all our stuff in.

Paxton looks like he made a great trick or treating dinosaur. :thumbsup2

:rotfl: Sorry you missed breakfast to vote!! It seemed very disorganized at a lot of the polls around here, so I can about imagine. I got to the polls at 6:10 am and the line was already out the door!

With all of the other crap I had crammed in the bag, it was just too heavy for me to carry the iPad every day. But it was GREAT the two days I did have it with us, despite the extra weight! It will pop up a couple more times in the TR as a distraction tool. :thumbsup2 Our iPad is in a super heavy duty case that adds some weight too. So if you can disperse your crap into multiple bags so that the iPad is not as heavy on the person carrying it, you should be okay!

DTD on a weekend is just pure madness. I don't get why it's that crazy, and it stinks that you had to park all the way on the other side of the marketplace just to get some dinner. :( Although, Earl is pretty tasty, and if my DH had his way, we'd eat there everytime we were in the area. :confused3

Love your DS's Halloween costume! :goodvibes

Yeah, we didn't really think it all the way through when we decided to go there, but it was definitely a good first Disney World dinner, despite fighting the crowds to get it!!

Thanks!

:lmao::rotfl:

That pic of him "growling"...I really thought he was being a good trex...only to find out he is crying!!
Too funny!

Looks like you guys had a great start to your MK day...hope it stayed that way!

I just had to say Hi! because our trip has so much overlap so far! We're from WI, but our flight connected in New Orleans and were on the same plane that you were! We also stayed in Bonnet Creek for our trip, although we checked in there on Saturday AND we decided to go to DTD and Earl of Sandwich for dinner that night AND we had to park in Timbukto (as we called it!) and walked forever to get to Earl of Sandwich! We love that place though, so even with the really long line it was worth the wait!

Gina

:lmao::rotfl:

That pic of him "growling"...I really thought he was being a good trex...only to find out he is crying!!
Too funny!

Looks like you guys had a great start to your MK day...hope it stayed that way!

He does do a very good T-Rex impression, even though he wouldn't do it for the picture! :rotfl:

I just had to say Hi! because our trip has so much overlap so far! We're from WI, but our flight connected in New Orleans and were on the same plane that you were! We also stayed in Bonnet Creek for our trip, although we checked in there on Saturday AND we decided to go to DTD and Earl of Sandwich for dinner that night AND we had to park in Timbukto (as we called it!) and walked forever to get to Earl of Sandwich! We love that place though, so even with the really long line it was worth the wait!

Gina

Wow, that is too funny!! Now that I think about it, there was a family I saw at Earl that it occurred to me at the time I had seen at the airport...Maybe it was you! :wizard:

Glad to have you along. I wonder if our trips overlapped anywhere else? Are you planning to do a TR for your trip?

I am impressed that you were able to make it MK for rope drop! Good hussle! :)

Several things didn't go according to plan this trip, but I was happy our MK morning was well on track for all we had to do that morning!

OK, I'll admit, it took me awhile to find this TR, but I am all caught up.

Love that you took a picture of the empty count down calendar. Best feeling ever!

Ugh to puppy poop on the way to your parents. I am sure you did not plan for that.

Yeah for an uneventful flight. I hate when kids sit behind me and kick the seat, but that's just what kids do.

An red Altima? Awesome for location purposes.

Ugh to the long line at EOS, but your sandwich sounds great.

I love your villa for the first night. Can't wait to see Bonnet Creek. So glad you first day at MK is off to a great start. Really cute pictures of everyone!

OK, I'll admit, it took me awhile to find this TR, but I am all caught up.

Love that you took a picture of the empty count down calendar. Best feeling ever!

Ugh to puppy poop on the way to your parents. I am sure you did not plan for that.

Yeah for an uneventful flight. I hate when kids sit behind me and kick the seat, but that's just what kids do.

An red Altima? Awesome for location purposes.

Ugh to the long line at EOS, but your sandwich sounds great.

I love your villa for the first night. Can't wait to see Bonnet Creek. So glad you first day at MK is off to a great start. Really cute pictures of everyone!

Thanks happy to see you here, I know you have been super busy lately with all these Disney trips & TRs! :goodvibes

Day 2 Continued: Sunday October 21st

When I left off, the rope drop show had just started, and DS was quickly pulled to attention to the guy up on the trains station talking (I can't remember who he said he was...the Mayor maybe?). And then the dancers came out and he started smiling a little more.

0067.jpg

0068.jpg

But then we heard a very distinct sound...a steam whistle!

0070.jpg

0071.jpg

As he noticed the characters getting off the train and waving, he became a little more excited. He loves choo choos, and apparently was still digging the characters this year.

0074.jpg

0075.jpg

0076.jpg

0078-1.jpg

And it was at that moment that something clicked in his little mind and he uttered one word that just brought tears to my eyes...He pointed to Mickey and said, "Mouse!" Now, I have to tell you why this is such a big deal. In the past, he just didn't call Mickey anything. He could identify all of the Fab 5 characters in the sense of saying, "Where's Mickey? Where's Minnie?" etc. and he could point them out in a picture in a book, but the only one whose name he would say was Donald, but he would really just say, "Duck" for him. So this was the first time he ever "gave Mickey a name" so to speak as in he recognized him and wanted to call him something. It was very exciting for me, even if it was only the second part of his name! I just hugged him so tight and swallowed back the tears (I get very emotional in Disney!) and said, "Yep, that's Mouse!"

0081.jpg

0083.jpg

0084.jpg

0085.jpg

The rope drop ceremony ended a little sooner than I had remembered, and soon we were making our way under the train station and getting to see the park dressed up for Halloween! We have not seen the park decorated for fall since our honeymoon in 2007, so this brought back some great memories. Not only was it our honeymoon and our first trip away by ourselves, it was also our first trip to the parks when it was decorated for any holiday!

0091.jpg

0093.jpg

0094.jpg

0095.jpg

0096.jpg

0097.jpg

0101.jpg

0102.jpg

0104.jpg

Even though Touring Plans says now that Dumbo has Fastpass, you don't need to do the Dumbo Dash first thing in the morning, we headed there first. We wanted it to be DS's first ride of the morning as a sort of right of passage, and we also wanted to check out the new Storybook Circus area of the parks. Unfortunately, we didn't bother looking at the map while standing out there waiting for rope drop, and we had no clue which direction we were supposed to be heading in. Just take the map and look, right? Well, DS had commandeered it and wasn't giving it up, and he wasn't exactly a good navigator.

0099.jpg

As we passed the New Fantasyland ropes, we peeked and saw signage that that were not doing dress rehearsals that day, so we were a little bummed about that. We later found out they were doing CM previews all week, so I'll save you the suspense, we never got to step foot into the FLE area. I was bummed because I wanted DS to meet Ariel (she had a page in his autograph book that we were never able to get signed), and see Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Eventually we made our way to Storybook Circus!

0110.jpg

I loved getting to see the new Double Dumbo set up, that was a really great idea they had to keep the lines a little less severe there.

0111.jpg

0113.jpg

Continued in next post...

0115.jpg

We walked through the line and had a second to peek inside the play area, which looked phenomenal! But we knew we would be stopping in there later in the trip, so we basically walked right onto the next ride cycle with maybe a 5 minute wait all together. It was this morning while we were waiting that I saw a cute little family of a small toddler girl wearing full princess getup and her two much older brothers wearing black t-shirts that said "Princess Security." I complimented them on their shirts when I saw them later by the strollers!

Finally we got on our Dumbo, and DS was all smiles and ready to go!

0116.jpg

However, as we found out the minute our elephant was in the air, this was the year things started making DS nervous, including flying in an elephant. He wasn't scared exactly, but the smile dropped off his face and he was grabbing my arms tight and whimpering a little. This theme continued on most rides to varying degrees of intensity. But no freak outs, and towards the end he seemed like he was enjoying it a little more.

Next up, we wanted to do Peter Pan's Flight before the line got horrendous. I got another surprise in his line when DS saw the ride vehicles, pointed to them, and announced proudly, "Pirate ship!" Definitely not that distinctly, but it was obvious to us what he was saying. After being worried about a speech delay several months ago, he has really grown his vocabulary tremendously!

The posted wait said 20 minutes and we waited a little less than that, maybe 17 or 18 minutes before we were boarding our pirate ship and taking off to Neverland. DH of course was snapping away with his new lens (no, we are not flashers either! lol). They came out pretty dark of course, but he lightened a few of them up decently.

0119-Copy.jpg

0120-Copy.jpg

0123-Copy.jpg

0126-Copy.jpg

0129-Copy.jpg

0134-Copy.jpg

DS seemed to really enjoy it. He was pointing to so many things as we flew over them, and a few times I heard him actually say, "Oooh!"

After that, we headed across the way to another old faithful attraction, It's a Small World. DH was thrilled. ;) That early in the morning, it was still walk on so we got right onto a boat into the first row.

0138-Copy.jpg

0139-Copy.jpg

0141-Copy.jpg

0142-Copy.jpg

0144-Copy.jpg

0145-Copy.jpg

0151-Copy.jpg

0152-Copy.jpg

0155.jpg

0158-1.jpg

0160.jpg

By the time we came off of that, it was nearing 10 am, and we had a 10:30 appointment for a little boy to get his curls cut off! So we started making our way towards Main Street, hoping DS would do as well for his haircut this year as he did for his first last year. Boy, were we in for a surprise!

UP NEXT: Haircuts for a Song

He pointed to Mickey and said, "Mouse!"

It was very exciting for me, even if it was only the second part of his name! I just hugged him so tight and swallowed back the tears (I get very emotional in Disney!) and said, "Yep, that's Mouse!"

All I can say is......awwwwwwww! :goodvibes

Even though Touring Plans says now that Dumbo has Fastpass, you don't need to do the Dumbo Dash first thing in the morning, we headed there first.

Really, that will be the weirdest thing. We've been Dumbo Dashing for 6 years, it'll be so strange to Peter Pan dash instead.

As we passed the New Fantasyland ropes, we peeked and saw signage that that were not doing dress rehearsals that day, so we were a little bummed about that. We later found out they were doing CM previews all week, so I'll save you the suspense, we never got to step foot into the FLE area. I was bummed because I wanted DS to meet Ariel (she had a page in his autograph book that we were never able to get signed), and see Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Oh darn! I was really hoping you guys would get a chance to check it out! The Enchanted Tales with Bells sounds especially cool.

I loved getting to see the new Double Dumbo set up, that was a really great idea they had to keep the lines a little less severe there.

I think I'm going to be a little disappointed in the move though. One of the great things about Dumbo was its location right behind the castle. While I'm sure we will continue to ride it for a few more years, once our DD outgrows it, Dumbo will definitely slide down the priority list thanks to that location off in the corner.

Keep the updates coming!

Sucks you did not get to see all of the new fantasyland! However, i hear it is great and it just means you have to go back. You now Devyn was diagnosed with a speech delay when he was 18 months. He did speech therapy weekely until he was 3 and once he turned 3 he went to preschool and has it there 2 times a week. The teachers say he is doing so well and that its just a matter of when they , "the kids" want to talk. Having him around other kids helped him too. Before he wa stuck with me all day!:sad1:

What a great start to your MK day! You're right that the Halloween decorations look very different at MK than what I saw at DL. I do like the pumpkin scarecrows at MK though! :thumbsup2

It'll be weird for us as well not to do the Dumbo Dash. I suspect that for our January trip, our rope drop dash will be for Enchanted Tales with Belle, but I'm waiting to see what the full opening of New FL will do to the wait times for attractions both within and outside of New FL. Trying to come up with new strategies is going to be fun. ;)

On our last trip in April, we on purpose took the path you took to get to Dumbo so that DFIL could walk through the Castle on his very first visit to MK! So your DS did a great job of navigating if you ask me :goodvibes

Ugh. The picture of him pointing at the choo choo during rope drop and smiling is way too cute!

All I can say is......awwwwwwww! :goodvibes

Really, that will be the weirdest thing. We've been Dumbo Dashing for 6 years, it'll be so strange to Peter Pan dash instead.

Oh darn! I was really hoping you guys would get a chance to check it out! The Enchanted Tales with Bells sounds especially cool.

I think I'm going to be a little disappointed in the move though. One of the great things about Dumbo was its location right behind the castle. While I'm sure we will continue to ride it for a few more years, once our DD outgrows it, Dumbo will definitely slide down the priority list thanks to that location off in the corner.

Keep the updates coming!

Yeah, the Dumbo Dash was still worth it, but definitely not necessary. Seems that since people know there is FP and 2 Dumbos, you don't need to rush there in the morning, so they were going other places. We didn't, but we could have walked right back on again where normally the line would already be building up. And although the Storybook Circus part was pretty cool looking, it was kind of shoved off in no man's land. It looks like once the FLE fully opens, it will flow a lot better but for now it really is shoved off in the corner!

I wish we could have experienced it too. Unfortunately, the week we went fell right between general public soft openings and AP previews so we didn't get to take part in either one!

Sucks you did not get to see all of the new fantasyland! However, i hear it is great and it just means you have to go back. You now Devyn was diagnosed with a speech delay when he was 18 months. He did speech therapy weekely until he was 3 and once he turned 3 he went to preschool and has it there 2 times a week. The teachers say he is doing so well and that its just a matter of when they , "the kids" want to talk. Having him around other kids helped him too. Before he wa stuck with me all day!:sad1:

I think that was exactly the problem with Paxton, he was home with me all day and didn't really "need" to talk because I just knew what he wanted and did everything for him without him needing to ask. Now that he is in daycare 5 days a week, his vocabulary has improved in leaps & bounds. He is always coming home with a new word it seems like! Hopefully you continue to make progress with Devyn!

Joining in! We were at the World at the same time!!!

That's awesome! :thumbsup2 Are you planning to do a TR for your trip?

What a great start to your MK day! You're right that the Halloween decorations look very different at MK than what I saw at DL. I do like the pumpkin scarecrows at MK though! :thumbsup2

It'll be weird for us as well not to do the Dumbo Dash. I suspect that for our January trip, our rope drop dash will be for Enchanted Tales with Belle, but I'm waiting to see what the full opening of New FL will do to the wait times for attractions both within and outside of New FL. Trying to come up with new strategies is going to be fun. ;)

On our last trip in April, we on purpose took the path you took to get to Dumbo so that DFIL could walk through the Castle on his very first visit to MK! So your DS did a great job of navigating if you ask me :goodvibes

The DL decorations are more larger than life & character oriented, which I like, but not knocking the MK ones at all, because they do a great job! I think DH got even more pics of them our early entry morning later in the trip.

I know, by the time we go next year, our old touring plan will have to go out the window since the FLE will be totally open except for the Mine Train ride. It's a little nerve wracking, but very exciting!! At least having ridden the Little Mermaid ride at DCA so many times, I know I don't need to rush to that first thing, I mostly just want to check out the queue.

We always love walking through the Castle in the morning before it is closed off for the stage shows. :goodvibes So I guess you are right, DS was a good little navigator after all!

Ugh. The picture of him pointing at the choo choo during rope drop and smiling is way too cute!

:goodvibes Thank you! He was even more excited when it was finally time to ride it later on in the trip!

Love your MK photos! That sky is amazing!

Thanks! The sky was cloudless that day which made for beautiful photos, but man was the sun brutal!

How adorable that DS said "mouse" and "pirate ship"! Ahhh, Disney is definitely the place to be. I definitely would have started tearing up during the morning show.

Love the "Princess Security" thing. Very clever!

yay for early morning rides on Dumbo! I love the new storybook circus section, I think it is a lovely addition to the parks.

I'm sorry that Paxton got a little nervous on Dumbo, I was afraid that Everett would be that way this last trip, but thankfully he was OK, and the only time we had issues was when we weren't riding the ride he wanted to be on at that exact moment. :rolleyes2

I also feel you on the whole speech delay dilemma. I was worried about Everett for a while too, but it ended up being OK. I just think that some little boys are way more interested in moving than talking at first, but eventually they catch up. What a nice moment with Mickey, its thinks like that that makes the whole trip worth it! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter