Show me images from a 70-200 f/2.8 in the parks

p772858783-3.jpg

p936252266-3.jpg

p552913059-3.jpg

p923610978-3.jpg

Playing hide & seek behind America (got to keep the kiddies happy while "drinking around the world" during food & wine)
p1018871733-3.jpg

p914392012-3.jpg

p1003462398-3.jpg

p738325178-3.jpg

p642774118-3.jpg

If you have a large bag then why is this putting you over what will fit? What are you taking with you?

I take my 5d, 17-40, 70-200 or 100 2.8 macro, & a prime (either my 28mm or 50mm). You might be overdoing it.

If you have a large bag then why is this putting you over what will fit? What are you taking with you?

I take my 5d, 17-40, 70-200 or 100 2.8 macro, & a prime (either my 28mm or 50mm). You might be overdoing it.
I have two camera bodies(D300 and D7000), a 50 mm f/1.8, a 35mm f/1.8, a 10-20 UWA, an 8mm fisheye, a 17-50 f/2.8, a 55-300 VR, and the aforementioned 70-200. Getting all that in one bag is a challenge at best, and is indeed overdoing it most days. I already know I'll likely leave the 50mm in the car — but the space I'd save from that isn't all that meaningful. Might leave one of the bodies out most days, but I'd like to have the D300 set up for family photos at times — probably not on days I'd take the 70-200!

SSB

Thanks for the samples, folks.

What I see confirmed what I suspected, pretty much. I might bring in the big lens on day where I wanted to shoot shows, details, and candid family portraits. Otherwise, it is just too big and unwieldy, given that I have alternatives. Many of those same shots could be achieved with my 55-300. Even though it isn't as fast, it has more reach. Also, it is much lighter and has VR which the 70-200 doesn't. But I could still see carving out a day for it — it reduces the background to a beautiful wash of color. In truth, though, the 55-300 does a pretty good job of that on close-up subjects, and (IIRC) focusses more closely, which tends to compensate for the smaller max aperture. And it gives pretty decent bokeh as well, to be honest.

SSB

Also, it is much lighter and has VR which the 70-200 doesn't.

I have always been curious as to whether there is any point having a long range lens without VR unless you are using a tripod most or all of the time. I just assumed that zooming in to, say 150 mm for the sake of a random example, is going to subject the image to so much camera shake unless it's on a tripod. How does your non VR handle that hand held?

I have always been curious as to whether there is any point having a long range lens without VR unless you are using a tripod most or all of the time. I just assumed that zooming in to, say 150 mm for the sake of a random example, is going to subject the image to so much camera shake unless it's on a tripod. How does your non VR handle that hand held?

I have the Sigma 50-150 without OS. It wasn't available back when I bought it. I love the range of this lens and always figured I'd upgrade when the new OS version came out. Well, it just did. But it's about pound heavier and an inch longer so now I'm not sure I'll do it. I can carry this one along without feeling like I'm lugging around a hulk of a lens. I do like this range, but don't want that much more weight. I guess for now I'll just make do. But yes, there are many occasions where I wish I had OS, even with the 2.8.

I have the Sigma 50-150 without OS. It wasn't available back when I bought it. I love the range of this lens and always figured I'd upgrade when the new OS version came out. Well, it just did. But it's about pound heavier and an inch longer so now I'm not sure I'll do it. I can carry this one along without feeling like I'm lugging around a hulk of a lens. I do like this range, but don't want that much more weight. I guess for now I'll just make do. But yes, there are many occasions where I wish I had OS, even with the 2.8.

Thanks for that. I noticed the weight differences (and of course it costs more for stabilization) but I don't mind carrying a heavy kit around with me. I really am a bit of an object of teasing when it comes to that :lmao: But I know what my interests and limitations are at this stage so for me it's going to have to have some sort of OS

Thanks

I've had some success in handholding the lens in good light, mostly shooting flowers at close to the minimum focus distance -- if I shoot at my high-speed advance rate. I might shoot six or eight shots and get one keeper. But that's a pretty demanding use where the slightest movement means the difference between a sharp image and a blur. Even with VR, it's tricky; the VR handles minor side-to-side movement with aplomb, but it can't do anything about tiny movements forward and backward.

Truthfully, the main reasons I wanted the lens were for possible sports photography (where I'd expect to have it on a monopod) and in portraits, where I'd likely have it on a tripod. So, while it would certainly be nice to have VR (or "VC" as Tamron calls it), I didn't think it was critical for my use.

SSB

I have a 80-200 without VR and it does fine. You just have to keep the shutter speed fast enough. That does mean cranking up the ISO in poor light.

Indoors, no windows, dimmed fluorescents at 200mm: f/2.8, 1/200, ISO 5000

PAPSRS-1670 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Indoors, mostly window light at 200mm: f/4, 1/200, ISO 1600

PAPSRS_WRAPforKids-1851 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Outdoors, shade at 116mm: f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 1600

20120131-DSC_0448 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Obviously inside, dark, stage lights at 80mm: f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 2500

20120131-DSC_0218 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

By the way, grizzy77.... all your shots, are lovely, but I love that second one of the prayer flags. Never seen them shot that way.... just lovely.

Two taken from the top of the Contemporary with the 70-200, also a good example of the range of the lens. Top photo is 200mm and bottom is 70mm.

4961385935_2c4a5ee244_o.jpg

5748593611_b170e48700_o.jpg

wow, first thank you to everyone who shared their 70-200 pics.

I really think my thoughts for wanting to have a 70-200 f/2.8 for wdw were right on target.

For those of you using them, do you prefer the 70-200 over a 50-150 f2.8?

Just ordered this lens for my K-7. Very excited about using it.:cool1::cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter