Shoulder surgery and a pending disney trip?!?!?!

npierce25

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. So I have 2 tears in my labrum, a tendon impingement, and really significant bursitis. (All diagnosed with MRI) so my doc gave me a cortisone shot to calm the bursitis, then prescribed 6 weeks of pt. he said 60-70% of people with similar injuries are fixed with pt. so, I am 4 weeks into this. I have my range of motion back (most likely due to the cortisone) pt works on increasing blood flow and strengthening. I still have a crazy burning pain. The pt and my husbands chiropractor think that is still pain from the labrum tears. I see my doc on the 21st to determine if I am a surgical candidate or not. So if I need surgery it would be the last week of July or first week of August as long as none of the pittsburgh pirates blow out their shoulders and bump me (we have the same doc). I know I will be out of work for aprox 4 months. So I also be in a sling for 4 weeks minimum. 8-9 weeks post surgery we are supposed to goto disney. I am tough. Any prior surgery I have had I bounced back early than most people do. (Hs of gallbladder and knee aurthoscopy). I do have a high pain tolerance and deal with this most days with out taking anything and even it it's worst only taking Motrin and Tylenol.

Has anyone had surgery like this?
If so do you think you could handle a slow paced disney trip 8 weeks later?
I will talk to my dr of course.
I will prob skip dinosaur ...
Would like to ride 7dmt, btmr, splash, space, test track and rnr.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would consult with your doctor.
I would skip the roller coasters this time. They will be there. There are many slow moving rides to enjoy.

I agree with PP -- consult your doctor. You may need to skip the coasters and big rides this trip.

Another thought...you mention you'll be out of work....if you plan to collect short-term disability you may need to see if the insurance company has any restrictions. You wouldn't want to negate that income because they view a theme park vacation as non-compatible with "recovery from surgery."

Good luck with your shoulder and enjoy your vacation!

I went at 7 weeks out from those surgeries plus ligament tightening. Space killed my shoulder and I had trouble getting out of the car one-handed. I didn't try any other big rides. At 7 weeks out just walking around can cause soreness, but I did ok using ice paks and extra pain meds at night to help me sleep.

While I was out of the sling at home I wore it at Disney to prevent me using the arm as well as it being a visible reminder to others that I had an injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter