• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we stay or should we go??

luvswdw

Earning My Ears
My husband and I have reservations at Calif. Grill in Jan. @ 5:50 pm for our Anniversary dinner:love: The fireworks are not till 8 pm. if we get a window seat I'd like to stay at our table and watch them. Is that to long to stay put? would they get upset with us? I would think 2 hrs. would not be to long for a nice dinner...What would you guys do in my place?
Thanks

I think that you should do what you wish. 2 hours is not a long time for a relaxed nice dinner.

Personally I would start with a drink, wait to order and just unwind. Then order the appetizer and take your time ordering your main course.

Of course there is dessert and then the after dinner drink. This is how I would do it. Of course it is a bit more expensive to order 2 drinks, but I say take that extra time and enjoy it.

By the time the last drink comes you will most likely get to enjoy the show with it.

If you're nervous about sitting too long at the table you can always try checking in just before your actual ressie time. It will most likely take the staff at least a few minutes to get you up the elevator and seated at your table. I have done this before to see the MK fireworks at Ohana and it worked out great.

They do allow you to return to watch the fireworks from the balcony, just FYI.

I think that if you are being reasonable -- that is, ordering drinks, appetizers, entrees, and desserts (and maybe coffee/after dinner drinks) -- then a 2 hour meal is certainly acceptable. I realize that others may not agree (and that's a-ok; opinions are just that!), but I feel that as long as you are essentially making it worth it for the server and restaurant to have a table for 2+ hours then it's fine. (And I believe that this is true anywhere -- not just at WDW.)

I personally don't feel it's appropriate to draw out a meal that's basically just entrees. Again, I feel that way for any restaurant -- that the server has a right to earn a living by turning a certain number of tables on any given evening and that other patrons also have a right to be seated close to their own reservation time. We also tip more than 20% if we have a particularly leisurely meal.

My guess is that Cal. Grill probably calculates that most meals there will take between 1.5 and 2 hours -- we ate there on 11/8 and it was about 2 hours (we ordered wine, appetizers, desserts, coffee and drinks) but we were out before the fireworks because we wanted to watch from MK.

Enjoy your trip and your meal! And be sure your CM knows you're celebrating an anniversary!

I usually allow 3 hours for a meal of that caliber, but we also order about four or maybe even five courses with wines paired maybe 1 wine for two courses). We usually split everything so we can taste more, but at CA Grill, I'd probably order:

Sushi
Soup/Salad
Entree
Cheese Course
Dessert

I'd have a crisp white wine that would go with the Sushi & Soup/Salad, and then order a red that would go nicely with the Entree & Cheese, and a dessert wine like Port with Dessert. If you have a good waiter, they won't rush you through your meal. Tell them you'd like to take your time and see the fireworks. They will help you time the meal just right.

Thank you guys I feel better now!!:grouphug: I Think we will make a relaxed long night of it and enjoy every minute of it!! It will be our 25th! We'll check in right on time instead of early and let our server know ahead of time we would love to see the fireworks while dinning there. We'll have before drinks,appetizer,main course, dessert then after dinner drinks or coffee. This will be our first time to eat at Calif. Grill I'm soo :banana: !! And we'll be sure to tip more then the 20% !!
Thanks again everyone!! My husband has no clue yet it's a surprise!! ( not just the dinner but the whole trip) !!

Thank you guys I feel better now!!:grouphug: I Think we will make a relaxed long night of it and enjoy every minute of it!! It will be our 25th! We'll check in right on time instead of early and let our server know ahead of time we would love to see the fireworks while dinning there. We'll have before drinks,appetizer,main course, dessert then after dinner drinks or coffee. This will be our first time to eat at Calif. Grill I'm soo :banana: !! And we'll be sure to tip more then the 20% !!
Thanks again everyone!! My husband has no clue yet it's a surprise!! ( not just the dinner but the whole trip) !!

How exciting! I love romantic surprises (since they don't happen any more in my life), keep us informed on how it goes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter