Should we leave the kids at home, just this once?!?

lacy1101

DIS Veteran
I have always considered, in the deep recesses of my mind, a trip for just me and DH to Disney, without our DS-14 and DD-11. I am now actually very close to planning one! DH and I try to take a trip without the kids every 5 years (these are usually 4-5 day trips - we take weekend trips without them probably a couple of times a year). We usually go to the beach on these trips. Since I have been helping plan a Disney trip for my boss and his family this fall :surfweb: , I have caught the fever (again!) and am thinking about surprising my DH with a trip to Disney for the just the two of us next year. We probably won't make it back to Disney as a family until 2008 (despite what I say in my siggy). :sad1:

For those of you who have children and have done Disney sans kids, would you mind sharing your experience with me? Did you tell your kids where you were going :ssst: ? Did you miss them while you were there :sad: ? Did it "feel" like you were in Disney pixiedust: ?

I can actually make ressies now at the Swan/Dolphin for Sept. '07 (taking advantage of the government employee discount-$149). I get so excited just at the thought of having reservations at Disney, even though the trip would be over a year away! :hyper:

Thanks!

Do you think the kids would allow you to live if you took a multi-day trip to WDW without them?

I say go for it! But maybe that's because I have gone twice without my kids (I'm a single Mom) and 4 times with the kids. Grown-up time is important too. I remember when my parents went to Hawaii with out my sister and me - yes it sucked but we survived!

We went last year alone for the first time and had a great time. In some ways it was more fun and in others it was not. Yes we missed them very much and yes they knew where we were going. In our case we travel a lot and I think they looked at it as a much needed rest from one another.lol

I say go for it. :thumbsup2

There are about 50 or so of us doing just that on the DIS Ladies-only trip Sept. 29 thru Oct.2.
Not only are we going minus the kiddos we are going minus the men! LOL

The sort of trip you will have without the kids is so different. There are just certain places where it's not appropriate for kids (certain tours are 16 and over, some places in DTD and PI, etc).
In order to be a good parent you need to occasionally take out some "me" time so you can come back refreshed and relaxed and ready to tackle whatever comes your way.

Good luck with your decision and have fun no matter what you decide. :sunny:

the 2 most enjoyable trips we have taken to disney were without the kids. We do enjoy disney through the eyes of our boys (9 & 12), but theres just something about slowing down with DW and doing adult stuff. Think of it as the ultimate date you could never afford when you were young :goodvibes

DH and I went to food and wine by ourselves last November and had a blast. No commando touring, great restaurants, Jellyrolls....
I thought DH was crazy when he suggested it, but it is a whole different experience. It was like having a fun date that lasts a few days.

This year we have 2 trips - in August with the children and their grandmother, and a shorter one in October with just the two of us.

My husband and I went last September for our anniversary by ourselves for the first time. We had so much fun we are doing it again this year!! It is so relaxing going as adults. We didn't feel that we had to be anywhere and do anything. We only went to a park one day and the rest of the time we just enjoyed being together. Our children did know where we were going but we go with them at least once a year also. I say go for it!!

I can't give you any anecedotes as I have no children (child-free or child-less, depending on your preferred parlance). But I do think it's a great idea for you to have an adult-only Disney experience, and for you to tell your kids. I think they're old enough to appreciate that you need vacation time without them, and that Disney is something you enjoy as much as they do (it's not just about them). But you might also think of this trip as a little field research--do some adult events that you're not sure they would enjoy and see if it's worth it.

And Disney is just as fun for adults w/o children as with, I promise! The very first time I went to Disney was on my honeymoon with my first husband. That marriage didn't last but the magical Disney memories did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter