• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I tell or not? *Update* on page 5

I did all the planning for us. My ENTIRE childhood we had talked about staying at CR and she swore we'd stay there some day every time we rode the monorail through, but we could never afford it (we were one of those families that drove down and camped - honestly, I loved it). After my parents divorced, staying at the CR became completely impossible - we were lucky to go the few times we did go after that, and it was always offsite.

When she arrived at Pop (the day after me), I told her I was unhappy with the room since it was so far away and that we were going to move "somewhere closer", so not to fully unpack as we were moving the next day.

The next day, I called a cab to take us to the CR, which had been the "plan" all along. I told her I wanted to make sure to make MK rope drop, so I didn't want to wait for a bus. I had her bring her suitcase down to the lobby, and then instead of handing it over I just walked out the doors to the cab and she followed me with only a few questions (one was "why are we taking our bags?"). The story is actually here and here.

I will never, ever forget the look on her face when she fully realized what was going on. By the time we got to CR, she and I both were completely in tears. She could barely speak to the CM at the desk, and the CM started to tear up too when she heard our story. I'm actually tearing up a bit right now thinking about it.

It was the best surprise I ever did.

Lost my mom (cancer) 7 years ago so that kind of story (involving moms) makes me a bit emotional. Yours was amazing, it brought tears to my eyes. You did the kind of stuff I wish I could have done if my mom was still alive. Bravo!

We are no longer park commandos so we don't do much planning anymore. The last couple of trips I didn't even made dining reservations until we got there. Luckily, none of us starved to death while we were there.

If you don't make big plans anymore, I would SO surprise them with the AKL trip when you get there! Maybe take them to AKL and have them go out to see the animals and then say you have to go to the bathroom - go in and check in, then come back out with room keys. Oh man, I can think of a hundred ways to do it!

Yes, they'll be confused why you want to go there first before even checking in to your hotel, but most likely they'll just kind of go along with it. And if they protest and say that they want to go straight to the hotel, you can tell them that you are.

Lost my mom (cancer) 7 years ago so that kind of story (involving moms) makes me a bit emotional. Yours was amazing, it brought tears to my eyes. You did the kind of stuff I wish I could have done if my mom was still alive. Bravo!

Thanks; I really like surprising her with stuff now that I'm an adult, since she gave up so much for me when I was a kid. I'm sorry to hear you lost your mom; I can't imagine how hard that is. :flower3:

I would never be able to contain a secret like that! I get too excited about going and love talking about our upcoming trip. Always wanted to surprise the kids on the day of the trip, but never made it! :rotfl2:
What ever you decide to do you are guaranteed a great family memory! pixiedust:

We did our first trip last year and kept it a secret longer than we had planned. It turned out we missed the airport cut-off - not our home airport and by the time we made it to the gate, the plane was 1/2 boarded and we never did get an opportunity to do the reveal. This time, we're not going to let that happen but we haven't thought yet how to do it this time.

If you don't make big plans anymore, I would SO surprise them with the AKL trip when you get there! Maybe take them to AKL and have them go out to see the animals and then say you have to go to the bathroom - go in and check in, then come back out with room keys. Oh man, I can think of a hundred ways to do it!

Yes, they'll be confused why you want to go there first before even checking in to your hotel, but most likely they'll just kind of go along with it. And if they protest and say that they want to go straight to the hotel, you can tell them that you are.

That's an awesome idea. If you have more please feel free to share them.

So sorry you lost your mom to breast cancer. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She had it in the early 70's so I'm blessed to have been able to grow up having a mom.

That's an awesome idea. If you have more please feel free to share them.

You might also consider surprising them right before getting to AKL. Pass up the CBR exit, and of course someone (probably the wife!) will say "oh you missed the turn!" You can then say, "no I didn't". Then while you're heading to the AKL exit, you can tell them that you have a surprise for them, and you're not staying at CBR - they'll ask where you're staying and you can just tell them "you'll see." Or you can ask them if they trust you to get them where you're going, and just keep driving.

I believe that exit for AKL only has AK and AKL on it, so once you get off at that exit the chances are that they'll know where they're going and the excitement can start! If the exit does have another resort listed (I don't remember that being the case when I was at AKL, but I could be wrong), they'll still have to guess - but you pass the AK entrance to get to the AKL entrance so it will be pretty obvious!

You could not say anything, pull up to AKL, and when the guard asks why you're there, you just say "checking in". There's a surprise!

You could also consider getting an ADR for one of the AKL restaurants for your arrival day, and then tell them that you're running late and need to go straight there. If the time seems inconvenient, you could say that it was the only ADR they had and you really wanted to try zebra domes. Then you could tell them when you got to AKL ("Grab your bags, we're checking in instead!"), or during lunch/dinner ("What do you guys say we just stay here?"), or after eating ("I've decided we're not leaving!"), or you could suggest going out to look at the animals (before or after eating) and check in then and surprise them apart from the meal.

You could even get up to use the bathroom, go check in, and then simply come back and lay the room keys on the table without saying a word. They'll pick them up and see their names on them.

You could tell them you have a surprise for them but you have to "stop by AKL to get it". The surprise could be the room keys.

You could always tell the wife if she can keep a secret, and she can be in on it with you. She could suggest going to AKL first and you could agree and head that direction, or she could say she wants some zebra domes and you could agree to stop there first.

I am surprising my family with a change in resorts!

I did tell DH a month ago, could not keep it from him! :rotfl: We are staying at POP the first night, then going to the BC for 2 nights! My kids (14 and 20) think they are staying 3 nights at the POP. We got a deal on airfare to go down 3 nights early on the upside it made our trip a full 2 weeks! :goodvibes My DD 20 is happy to stay anywhere in Disney! She loves any resort! DS (14) is a hotel snob, :lmao: he LOVES his deluxe stays! DH is kind of the same but likes mods! I am like DD happy to be there!!! So, I know my kids will love the move and enjoy the surprise! I am a BIG BC fan so I know I will be pumped! We will have 4 nights at OKW and 6 nights at BWV!

Enjoy your trip!!!!pixiedust:

More good ideas. Thanks. I think I'm going to have to be prepared to come up with several excuses as we roll into Orlando. I will probably get off at the exit before the AKL exit. It has more resorts showing on the exit signs (I think). That may not give anything away. I believe that is the exit after the CBR exit. Not sure though.

You might also consider surprising them right before getting to AKL. Pass up the CBR exit, and of course someone (probably the wife!) will say "oh you missed the turn!" You can then say, "no I didn't". Then while you're heading to the AKL exit, you can tell them that you have a surprise for them, and you're not staying at CBR - they'll ask where you're staying and you can just tell them "you'll see." Or you can ask them if they trust you to get them where you're going, and just keep driving.

I believe that exit for AKL only has AK and AKL on it, so once you get off at that exit the chances are that they'll know where they're going and the excitement can start! If the exit does have another resort listed (I don't remember that being the case when I was at AKL, but I could be wrong), they'll still have to guess - but you pass the AK entrance to get to the AKL entrance so it will be pretty obvious!

You could not say anything, pull up to AKL, and when the guard asks why you're there, you just say "checking in". There's a surprise!

You could also consider getting an ADR for one of the AKL restaurants for your arrival day, and then tell them that you're running late and need to go straight there. If the time seems inconvenient, you could say that it was the only ADR they had and you really wanted to try zebra domes. Then you could tell them when you got to AKL ("Grab your bags, we're checking in instead!"), or during lunch/dinner ("What do you guys say we just stay here?"), or after eating ("I've decided we're not leaving!"), or you could suggest going out to look at the animals (before or after eating) and check in then and surprise them apart from the meal.

You could even get up to use the bathroom, go check in, and then simply come back and lay the room keys on the table without saying a word. They'll pick them up and see their names on them.

You could tell them you have a surprise for them but you have to "stop by AKL to get it". The surprise could be the room keys.

You could always tell the wife if she can keep a secret, and she can be in on it with you. She could suggest going to AKL first and you could agree and head that direction, or she could say she wants some zebra domes and you could agree to stop there first.

I'm not going tell the DW. I want to surprise her too. I'm more of a hotel snob than anyone else in the family but after spending 20 years in the military I appreciate anything better than a tent.

I am surprising my family with a change in resorts!

I did tell DH a month ago, could not keep it from him! :rotfl: We are staying at POP the first night, then going to the BC for 2 nights! My kids (14 and 20) think they are staying 3 nights at the POP. We got a deal on airfare to go down 3 nights early on the upside it made our trip a full 2 weeks! :goodvibes My DD 20 is happy to stay anywhere in Disney! She loves any resort! DS (14) is a hotel snob, :lmao: he LOVES his deluxe stays! DH is kind of the same but likes mods! I am like DD happy to be there!!! So, I know my kids will love the move and enjoy the surprise! I am a BIG BC fan so I know I will be pumped! We will have 4 nights at OKW and 6 nights at BWV!

Enjoy your trip!!!!pixiedust:

So sorry you lost your mom to breast cancer. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She had it in the early 70's so I'm blessed to have been able to grow up having a mom.

It was bone cancer in fact... I've been blessed to have a wonderful mother for 27 years of my life. :)

But happy to know your mother is a survivor. It's fantastic. :cheer2:

I'm not going tell the DW. I want to surprise her too. I'm more of a hotel snob than anyone else in the family but after spending 20 years in the military I appreciate anything better than a tent.

Oh my god, I would die of happiness if my husband did something like that for me. :rotfl:

That is a great idea.

I'm impressed you can keep this secret @ all!!
I'm terrible with secrets! (I.e. presents)

We were fortunate to get an amazing upgrade for our upcoming trip! I thought of so many different scenarios to surprise them, then when my DH & kids got home..I blabbed! I was so excited that I couldn't hold it in-lol!!

No matter what you do, they will love it! It's beautiful there & you & your family will have an amazing trip!!!

Sorry, I don't know why I thought it was breast cancer (thought that's what I read). Any cancer is horrible. I lost my dad to prostate cancer 15 years ago. It's all terrible.

It was bone cancer in fact... I've been blessed to have a wonderful mother for 27 years of my life. :)

But happy to know your mother is a survivor. It's fantastic. :cheer2:

I'm impressed you can keep this secret @ all!!
I'm terrible with secrets! (I.e. presents)

We were fortunate to get an amazing upgrade for our upcoming trip! I thought of so many different scenarios to surprise them, then when my DH & kids got home..I blabbed! I was so excited that I couldn't hold it in-lol!!

No matter what you do, they will love it! It's beautiful there & you & your family will have an amazing trip!!!

Trust me, it's not easy. I know they will have fun regardless if I tell them now or later.

Got Mickey Mail yesterday. It said we were staying at the CBR. It must have been processed before I changed our reservations. I'm going to take it as a sign to just let them keep thinking that is where we are staying.

Last night I said something about maybe stopping by AKL and looking at the animals before we went to CBR. The whole family liked that idea since our only plans for the first day is a trip to DTD.

Got Mickey Mail yesterday. It said we were staying at the CBR. It must have been processed before I changed our reservations. I'm going to take it as a sign to just let them keep thinking that is where we are staying.

Last night I said something about maybe stopping by AKL and looking at the animals before we went to CBR. The whole family liked that idea since our only plans for the first day is a trip to DTD.

That sounds like best idea yet!!! :thumbsup2 can't wait to hear how the surprise goes!
Nancypixiedust:

Everything is in order for a huge surprise then. Good luck on keeping the secret.

I don't remember reading about when you are going?

Surprising them sounds fun and I would go for it:cool1:

Sounds like it is all working out:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter